• Published 24th Dec 2020
  • 1,205 Views, 23 Comments

Friendship is Failure #20: Hearth's Warming I'll Never Forget - DakariKingMykan



Twilight and friends remember a horrible tragedy that occurred on Hearth's Warming

  • ...
50
 23
 1,205

Closing Act: Fireworks!!

CLOSING ACT

There was a lot of chatter coming from the crowds, worrying from Princess Twilight, and expressing their newfound anger and resentment to Luna Light’s treasonous acts.


Moondancer sat with her head buried in her hooves. She wasn’t even sobbing.

As for Twilight, she sat in her seat just staring blankly downward.

Spike waved his claw in front of her, “Twilight… are you okay?”

“No…” she answered in barely more than a peep. “No, I’m not.”

Her head bent down as her tears began to form. “I never thought some creatures saw me that way!”

Her friends could only begin to huddle around her in a big group hug.

“Twilight, those horrible things she said about you!” sobbed Rarity “Don’t you listen to a word she said!”

“She’s right!” cried Pinkie “She’s a very rotten pony, and she doesn’t know you like we do!”

“And we’re all here for you.” peeped Fluttershy.

Starlight, Applejack, and Rainbow were positively furious at Luna Light.

“How dare she--!” growled Starlight “She had no right to say all that stuff to Twilight!”

“She treated her like she’s some kind of problem pony!” added Rainbow.

Applejack looked up, “There’s no excuse for what she’d done.”

Twilight just couldn’t seem to shake herself out of her crushed mood. Reason: She felt some of those things that Luna balked at her were true-- she, like any creature, was not without her flaws, blotches on her record, or anything.

She knew all this, she knew she had done wrong in the past, and she did her best to make up for it, but to have someone finally call her out on it the way Luna had… this scarred her deeply.


Moondancer finally looked up, and she was totally enraged.

She bolted upright from her chair and dashed for the door with a look of furious fire in her eyes.

“Moondancer?” called Starlight.

Twilight looked up and wiped the tears from her eyes, but Moondancer had already gone. “Where’s she going?”

“I don’t know.” replied Pinkie.


Luna hadn’t gotten very far, and so Moondancer was able to catch up to her.

“Stop right there!”

Her mother turned to face her, “What do you want now?! I said I never wanted to see you again!”

“Enough!” thundered Moondancer “How dare you insult my friends, and the entire Canterlot community!

Twilight brought you here tonight hoping we could work this out, and especially for my sake because I missed you, but you stabbed me right in the heart saying you want nothing to do with me, which is only half compared to what you said to Twilight and the others!”

Her mother was most unamused. “Are you through? I’d like to get you out of my life sometime in the next few seconds.”

Moondancer was incredibly enraged at this point, and ready to snap like a twig.

“I’m not letting you get away with this!”

Luna only scoffed, “And what are YOU going to do about it? What is any-pony going to do about it? Are you going to gang up on me for protesting? That would only PROVE that you’re all like that Pathetic Princess; blind, ignorant and lust for being control-freaks when it comes to that sickening friendship junk!!”

She began to walk away, but then came that terrible moment of stepping up for rights and pride when things would be better off left well alone…!

Moondancer marched right up in front of her mother. “I’m not finished with you yet!”

But finally, her mother had lost patience, and struck her daughter clean across the face, knocking her glasses into the snow.

Then she struck across the face again from the opposite direction.

Even without her glasses, Moondancer could still see her mother’s figure ahead.

With a sickening screech, she tackled Luna to the ground and the two began to brawl!

Some ponies nearby saw the commotion and called for the guards.

The guards arrived on the scene, but too late to do anything. The two fighting unicorns began to firing magical blasts at one another, and even levitated up, up, into the air, and continued to fight.

Twilight and friends burst outside and could see the commotion!

“STOP THIS…!!” Twilight demanded. She tried to fire a magic spell to freeze the two in midair, but Luna charged straight at Moondancer, sending both of them out of Twilight’s reach so she missed.

“They’re heading for the fields!” cried Twilight “After them!” and she took off into the sky with Spike, Rainbow, and Fluttershy going after her.

The others all galloped off after them.


Lemon, Twinkle, and Minuette felt they were finally finished setting up the fireworks.

They could hear the sounds of the hollering crowds heading their way.

“Hey look… I think everyone’s coming.” said Minutette.

“Well, let’s take out places.” hollered Lemon.

The trio were about to head to the control area, and get ready to start the show, when they suddenly stopped and looked up on the sky at something flashy heading straight for them.

“What’s that?” asked Twinkle.

Whatever it was, it was heading straight for them.


…Moondancer and Luna were soaring straight at them, burning with magic and aura, and Twilight and the gang and all the civilians were shortly behind them.

“Twilight, the fireworks!!” shouted Spike.

Twilight gasped when she saw the fighting ponies where heading straight for them!


Lemon, Minuette, and Twinkle panicked and blindly tried to rush away, only to trip over their own setups, knocking all the explosives out of place, and huddled all together around them!


Twilight saw this, and she decided she only had one chance…!

She teleported to a position high up in the sky hoping to freeze-frame the entire area and stop the fighting, and Starlight rushed in to help her, being the only other one with the power to do so…

…But the two reckless ponies-- even in their fall they were still fighting, punching, and biting at each other. Luna and Moondancer then both fired two magical blasts at each other, at such a close range too.

The blasts struck each other, and of all the places for them to be repelled towards, they struck Twilight and Starlight, knocking them both out of the sky!

“Twilight…! Starlight!!” cried Spike.

Luna and Moondancer were still heading straight for the fireworks, and still surrounded by burning aura… that could set them off, and there was no time for anyone to do anything!


“HIT THE DIRT!!” screamed Rainbow!

Everyone hit the ground hard while others ducked down behind large rocks or turned on their heels and ran for it!

Twinkle, Minuette, and Lemon poked their heads up from the pile of fireworks… saw the flaming duo heading right for them, and they SCREAMED…!!

Twilight looked up just in time as the fighters crashed into the mountain of explosives…!

BA-KOOOOOOOOOM

The entire field lit up in colorful, but huge, fiery explosions, resulting in one mighty big bang, and because the fireworks were actually all knocked into one massive pile, not only did the flames reach high into the sky, but several of the flaming rockets blasted way out into the village, striking several homes and setting them ablaze!

Other struck the ground, making smaller explosions which knocked several of the fleers off their feet, injuring them.

Twilight, though partially blinded by the bright lights, was still able to use her magic and cause a snow-wave-- like a tidal wave-- to bury the main flames and douse them out, while her friends and others were helping to put out any fires and help the injured ponies.

…But as for Moondancer, Luna Light, and the other three… anyone could plainly see that neither of them could have stood a chance.

Twilight made the snow she cast receded, just like a tide, and there was no sign of the five bodies at all, for they had obviously been disintegrated in the explosions.

All that was left behind were many ashes of the burned up fireworks and the racks which they were toppled from.

Twilight crossed over to the middle of it all, with her insides quaking and surrounded by an approaching crowd of spectators, all who were sharing her feelings of hurt, devastation, and sadness by what just happened.

Twilight suddenly stopped, and looked down at what appeared to be a charred mane clip, the very one that Moondancer wore that night to the gala.

Her tears fell from her eyes, splashing onto the object, before she fell to the ground screaming in anguish, “…NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!”



…All of this faded back to the present day, and Li’l Cheese could hardly believe it.

Pinkie wiped her eyes, having never forgotten that horrible, frightening experience. “Hearths Warming was really spoiled that. A lot of us had lost our feelings of joy.”

The others all looked as gloomy as she did, verifying the facts.

“Princess Twilight had it the worst…” explained Starlight “She blamed herself for the deaths of all those ponies.”

Li’l Cheese asked, “But she didn’t kill all those ponies, it was just an accident, right?”

Rainbow shook her head, “It’s not that simple, Kiddo. As Princess of Equestria, Twilight is responsible for the well-being of all her subjects, whether they resent her or not. She should have been able to prevent what happened.” she paused, feeling remorseful for what she was saying. “…Deep down, Twilight can’t help but feel like it’s her fault all those ponies died.”

Rarity agreed, “Even more so, she felt that Moondancer was trying to defend Twilight’s honor after it was… horribly questioned.”

“Not to mention Twilight arranged for Luna to come to the gala that night in the first place, instead of letting her be.” added Applejack. “There are just some creatures out there that don’t want friendship in their lives, and sometimes it’s best to just let them be instead of nagging on them.”


Now Li’l Cheese felt just horrible for Twilight as he watched her grieve from afar. “Is she going to be okay?”

“Well, she did recover,” replied Fluttershy “But she was really devastated that night-- we all were, but the citizens of Equestria didn’t really blame Twilight for what happened, and she found her strength to go on.

But still, that was a Hearths Warming that she’ll never forget. None of us will, and every Hearths Warming Eve, she comes out here to give a little moment to those who were lost.”

Li’l Cheese felt like crying, and Pinkie Pie hugged her son warmly.


Everyone huddled together sharing the sad moment and feeling upset.


As for Twilight, she stood where she was looking down… at what was now revealed to be five gravestones she had made in memory of those she had lost-- Four of her dear friends died on that night, and even though Luna Light hated her guts and was a horrible pony with a bad attitude, Twilight felt she didn’t deserve to be killed.


Even still, none of these contemplations or any acts of kindness and compassion would ever heal the scar inside her, but she knew she had to be brave for Equestria and her subjects as her reign would continue.

Spike could only cuddle up next to her, and she wrapped her limb around him as they both mourned the loss as the crisp Hearths Warming Snow fell all around them, before, eventually, heading back to the palace to try and have a pleasant Hearths Warming.

Author's Note:

Ponies and Friends, thus concludes our lesson for this Hearths Warming.

(Moondancer is destroyed for reconciling with Twilight... Minuette, Twinkle and Lemon simply for being in the way (Things happen) and Luna Light... well, a pity, but that's the cost of doing business)

If you characters behave yourselves and quit it with all this Friendship, cupcakes, rainbows, and all that stuff (Even though I know that won't happen)

...Further lessons CAN be avoided."

Oh, and one last thing Princess Twilight...

Comments ( 17 )

you know i have never seen a story of redemption done in such a way, also i noticed you referenced quagmires rant against brian in family guy, 👍.

heartbreaking, but understandable. and perhaps the most bitter pill to swallow for anyone.

especially the part where the mother and daughter die together in the blaze. was especially bone-chilling

say, do you think twilight would ever learn the lesson, and do you think luna light would've solved her own grudges naturally had she not been badgered?

10919413

There's no Redemption here, and No... Luna would never let go of her grudge. So even if she had lived, she would still cause trouble.

10919498
you know, reading the stories I thought of an interesting one for friendship is failure, perhaps a crazed fan of the elements brainwashed several ponies with bad experiences with the elements (suri,lightning dust, film, and flam) forcing them to be good, the mane six appreciate it until they notice they're not acting like themselves and they eventually find out about the brainwashing, teaching the lesson that you can't force people to be friendly.

oh hey, you probably won't be reading this, but in my most recent comedic story, I made an affectionate parody of your authors note (which I think are often the best parts of your stories)

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/505123/1/photography-continuing-the-theme-of-art/in-wich-only-applejack-knows-how-to-work-a-camera

i just realize the quote at the end is an allusion to die hard 2

col stuart- That concludes our object lesson for this evening. If the 747 we requested is ready on time and General Esperanza's plane arrives unmolested, further lessons can be avoided. Out.

seek perfection, in this case friendship and harmony destroys you, like a ton of gunpowder, and now I will say what I think of ponies

twilight: well done book-eater princess, well done

luna: she had thoughts and opinions that were not respected or taken into account, she was the true victim of this story

twilight 2 - moondancer:

the gurls. lemon heart, minuette, twinkleshine: meh...

entertaining story, good drama, missing more perverse and dark things 8.9/10 😎👍

11428296

And and as you can see... This is #20... I got loads...

I'm sure I can quench your thirst for Drama and Darkness

11428300

Highly unlikely... Seeing as there is not TV in Equestria.

(I get the idea)

11428335
It was a fourth wall joke, the only way to explain how Luna knows Twilight so much, if Pinkie can, anyone can

11428335
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/400075/sombras-deal

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/481104/a-good-mare

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/338596/alone-in-the-moonlight

These are good examples for me, of perversion and darkness, I love when the bad guys get what they want by dominating their target 😎👍

Nobody points out that the villains who dominate Equestria are dangerous threats who can kill people very easily. Nobody points out that in the setting of FiM; the Elements of Harmony works because of friendship. Nobody points out that Luna Light's description of Twilight and friends is just a gross oversimplification and how they're more than Luna's description. Nobody points out that Luna Light is a hypocrite. She criticizes Twilight for being a Control Freak while being a Control Freak who disowns Moondancer for disobeying her. Nobody points out how Luna Light doesn't have a point.

And the reason why they don't point out these facts is because they need to fulfill the needs of the plot, which is to be an one-sided Author Tract without any nuance. Luna Light says her "Reason you Suck Speech" to Twilight and friends and people die to make the story more dark and edgy. The story feels like a slog to get through because of the "smarter than the original writers" attitude that extends throughout the entire Friendship is Failure verse.

There's almost no one to root for except for Twilight and friends and the story expects you to root against them.

11625947

The story does not expect you to root against them.

the story is made to put Twilight in her place, whether you agree or not.

11626015
The stories put Twilight in her place by doing stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_KrsNKxolo this.

11626083

Hey, I hate her, and I wish to see her get thrashed...

...It's that simple

11626087
You deconstruct MLP with the level of quality like smashing a sledgehammer on a clock. That's why I read your stories, to learn what not to do when writing Accusation fics or Hate fics

11626099

You sound like I should care about that...

Login or register to comment