• Published 25th Jul 2020
  • 9,317 Views, 548 Comments

Afterlife - Star Sparkle



The story of Stef the human's journey of discovery and self discovery, and of the unlikely bond that forms between him and Twilight.

  • ...
36
 548
 9,317

PreviousChapters Next
Meeting ponies is snappy:

As Snails and I left the schoolhouse I asked, “So when should we go and get that ice cream, and go to the comic book store?

Mmmm,” Snails brushed his chin with his hoof, as he did I noticed that he was only walking with three legs instead of four.

I don’t know, when do you have time?” Snails asked.

I think I have time today.” I said as I couldn’t remember if Twily had any plans.

Sorry, I can’t today, my family is going to Manehattan to visit my cousin.” He answered.

Manehattan, maybe he said it wrong, so I just glossed it over and said, “Alright, what about Monday?

I promised to hang out with Snips that day, sorry.” He said, a hint of shame was in his voice.

Now I realized that he had no idea of when he wanted to take me, so I might need to ask him instead. Even as my thoughts raced in my head, it didn’t break my smile, and with a newfound determination I said. “Well… When do you have time?

Umm, Tuesday I can, only if you want to.” He said nervously.

Let’s say Tuesday, I have time that day.

Snails gave me a smile, and we continued our walk through Ponyville.


It wasn’t long until we arrived at the library.

Well, I’m home now.” I said a bit awkwardly as I didn’t just want to walk inside and leave him confused, but I also didn’t want to hug him as that might give the wrong signal.

You really live here?” He asked, his head tilted as he looked at the library.

Did I not tell everypony in school? Maybe he just forgot,’ I thought.

Yep, with my little brother and big sister.” I said.

Wow, do you read a lot?” He asked, maybe only because I lived in a library.

I would say so,” I giggled, “Well, have a nice weekend in Manhattan.” I said as this was getting awkward.

I’m going to Manehattan.” He corrected me.

Oh, alright, well have fun, wherever you’re going!” I answered a bit nervously, was it truly Manehattan, and not Manhattan? Oh well. New world, new rules.

Thank you, I’ll see you Monday.” I said, ending the conversation.

He walked away waving and I waved back before I walked inside.


Once inside the library I sighed, as I thought back on it, it was still awkward. But hopefully Tuesday would be less awkward.

I looked up and saw there were three ponies here, all looking for books, while Spike dusted off some shelves.

I didn’t want to disturb and instead walked to the stairs and up towards my room with my saddlebag.

As I came closer to the stairs and the ponies, I heard Twilight say, “I certainly hope you’ll enjoy your book, Ms. Mayor.

Why thank you, Miss. Sparkle, with what you have told me about this ‘Flourish Prose’, I look forward to my free time.” Said the earth pony mare, with the cream-colored coat and silver mane and tail.

On the stairs, I stumbled a bit and fell on the step.

Huh?” I heard from a pony.

As I didn’t roll off the stairs, I stood up and noticed that both Twilight and the earth pony looked at me.

Be careful Star,” Twilight said in a giggle, “Remember to look where you’re going.

Hehe, I’ll remember.” I said.

I then got a closer look at the earth pony mare, and she looked familiar.

Ah, where are my manners,” The earth pony said, “I’m Mayor Mare, I don’t believe we have met before young Star Sparkle.

The mayor of course! She gave that pep rally after the parasprites had eaten parts of the town, “Oh yes, hello, how did you know my name?

I recognized you as I sorted your papers in the Ponyville archives.

Oh okay, well, it’s nice to meet you, Ms. Mayor.

Likewise, but are you enjoying our little town?

Very much, Ms. Mayor. Much more than Canterlot.

She giggled, “I’m very pleased to hear that, we do strive to be a good influence for our little ponies.

I smiled, “It’s definitely a cozy little town.

The mayor smiled before she said, “I’ll best be on my way now. Thank you again so much Twilight.

Of course Mayor, anytime.

As the mayor walked toward the exit with the rest of the ponies I waved, “Bye Ms. Mayor.

She gave a smile and a wave as they left the library, leaving Twilight, Spike, and I alone, and I guess the rest of the ponies kept her company or something like that.

So what now big sis, Spike? What will happen now?

Twilight looked to be thinking for a bit, “Well after the library closes in about three hours, then we could all go out and play a little bit.

Maybe Sunday instead?“ I said, “I was hoping to practice my magic, it’s getting really annoying to not be able to write.

As the mayor also came with a few books that we need to place back, do you then want to practice down here, or upstairs?” Twilight asked..

As much as I wanted to go to my room, I also wanted to practice with Twilight, “I’ll practice down here, please.

Twilight giggled, “Alright, what do you need, oh, and have you made any progress?

I did.” I then remember my progress from recess and levitating the flower, “I did! I held a flower over my head!” I giggled in joy.

Awesome job Star!” Spike cheered.

Congratulations!” Twilight cheered.

The smile on my face began to hurt, and I couldn’t stop smiling.

Can we see?” Spike asked.

Sure, I just need my quill.” I responded.

I’ll get it.” Spike said and as I walked down, he ran past me.

So, how was school?” Twilight asked cheerfully.

It was okay,” I answered as what happened with Snails wasn’t important, “Nothing happened between Diamond Tiara or Silver Spoon…” I paused and felt as my ears dropped, “Nor the crusaders.

Hey, it’s okay, I think they’ll turn around soon.” Twily said.

Why do you think that?” I asked.

Because, if they’re anything like their big sisters, then they will see that you only did the best you could do.

Maybe, but until then, I’ll manage.” I said and gave her a reassuring smile, one she returned.

Soon I heard little steps on the stairs, so Spike was on his way and soon he placed the quill on the floor in front of me and waited.

I took a deep breath as I pointed my horn at the quill. I exhaled as my magic engulfed the quill, and with air from my breath I felt as the quill rocked. I narrowed my eyes and clenched my jaw and with as much force I could, I held the quill and tried to lift it.

Come on, you stupid quill...” I snarled.

Relax…” Twilight said softly, “Allow the magic to lift the quill.

I tried to relax, but I still felt so tense, so much that standing was becoming difficult, my legs were sore, and begged to lie down.

Star you need to relax, or you’re going to get hurt.” Twilight’s voice was more serious.

I released my magic and fell down, to the relief of my legs.

You need to relax Star, or else you’re going to get hurt. Did you really lift the flower at school focusing like that?

I lay on the floor, my muzzle lay between my hooves, “I don’t remember,” I whispered. I thought back on recess and remembered the feeling of the wind and the rustling of the leaves... “I remember being calm, and feeling everything around me.

Use those feelings, it’ll work, you’ll see.

I nodded and tried to get comfortable where I lay. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and as I exhaled, I opened my eyes and I focused my magic on the quill. I felt its form, its weight. I took a sharp breath and quick exhaled, as I felt the wind on the quill I tried to lift, but only with my magic this time.

As I tried to lift the quill, it rocked back and forth until it was heavier, something the flower wasn’t, or at least it didn’t feel like it, but it didn’t matter, the quill refused to let go of the ground..

I couldn’t do much anyway, it only felt heavier, I may have tried too hard earlier, so getting it higher would mean that I would stress myself and get hurt, instead I gently lay the quill down on the floor.

Awesome progress, Star!” Spike cheered.

Twilight pranced as she cheered. Once back down she said, “Indeed, but remember, you need to let the magic do the work.

Thanks Twily, and you too little bro, but this is too much, you don’t need to cheer every time.” I said, maybe only because my cheeks hurt from all my smiling, I was still proud of my attempt.

Hehe, Star you don’t get it,” Twilight said, “For the amount of time you’ve practiced, you’ve come really far. It could even put a new theory of magic practice in the works. As I guessed you were an adolescent human, that might have affected how fast you could learn magic, your maturity might be why you have advanced so far, so fast.” Twilight was clearly happy, as I saw little sparkles in her eyes.

Could it not also be because of the Elements of Harmony and the Princesses?” I suggested.

If that was the case, would you then not be an Alicorn already? Or much further ahead?” Twilight asked and as she scratched under her muzzle, “Actually, if I’m not mistaken, I think you’re ahead of most Unicorns your own age, and maybe some a bit older than you.

Really? Like when you were my age?” I asked.

Well, not really,” Twilight gave me a wink, “not yet.

I giggled at that comment, but knocks came on the door, and as ponies walked inside, Spike and Twilight either sorted the books the mayor came with and other books that must have fallen out of the shelves while they helped other ponies that came to find a book.

I began to read further in my fireworks book and look to how I could move my light away from my horn in a solid matter. I didn’t want to try, I was too exhausted anyway. But I just continued to read, I saw that I would be able to change its color, but it just required much more training according to the book. I could even learn to make other kinds of shapes, like hearts, squares, and so on.
Before being able to move the firework, I should be able to shoot it in a straight line, and blow it up when I wanted it to, or on impact. I turned to the next page, and bold text said, Only practice with a professional. No ponies under the age of 15 are allowed to perform this spell without strict suppression. Guess I’m going to practice with Princess Celestia or Twil-

A bang came on the door, I quickly turned my head, did somepony crash into our door?

I looked to Twilight and Spike alike were staring at the door like I did, wondering who might have crashed into the door.

The door opened and in the doorway stood a gray Pegasus mare, her head buried in her brown saddlebag, her mane and tail alike were yellow, and I suspected she wore a brown postal uniform with white tuches.

She raised her head and my eyes were locked to her eyes, golden eyes, like Night Lights, but her one eye looked elsewhere. I couldn’t remember what the condition was called, but it reminded me of my sister. I stopped staring and instead ran over to her.

Sorry, are you okay?” I asked.

Twilight and Spike came soon after.

Aww, it’s okay, but wait a minute, I haven’t seen you before.” The mare said a bit dizzy.

I’m Star Sparkle, Twilight’s little sister, it’s nice to meet you.” I said.

Ohhh, now I remember, Dinky told me about you and how smart you are at maths. It’s nice to meet you too.” The mare said.

Thanks,” Even though I didn’t remember a Dinky from class I said, “Say hello when you meet her.

I will! Oh no- where are my manners, hehe, my name’s Ditzy Doo, but my friends call me either Muffins or Derpy.” She giggled

Nice to meet you Muffins,” This place makes me numb to hearing odd names.

Sorry, but I better get going again,” Muffins said as Twilight received the letters and a newspaper in her magic and went back to the ponies in the library, “Bye Sparkles.

Bye Muffins!

After Muffins left I walked over to where Twilight had dropped the newspaper.

Huh, a newspaper, I wonder what is in it?” I said to myself.

I unfolded the paper and looked at the article. A new pony has moved to Ponyville, a Unicorn called Lyra, there was some stuff about her, I tried to remember if I had ever seen a lime green pony mare, with a silver and lime green mane and tail, but I couldn't remember.

Else I saw a section about the weather, lot of sun, and few clouds, though there were more clouds in the south of Ponyville and as far as I understood, we were near the top in the center, so few clouds for us. But very heavy rain should come on Monday for all of Ponyville, some light lighting, and mildly heavy wind could happen, but it wasn’t a guarantee. But school wouldn’t be closed.

Interesting, I just know that today is Friday and not Monday, so sunny skies for us.” I stated as I smiled.

Hey Star,” Spike asked, “What are you reading?

Oh, just the weather, sunny news till Monday,” I answered.

Thank Celestia for that,” Spike laughed.

Why? Is she also responsible for the weather?” I asked, as I remember Rainbow was on the weather team.

No, no, not what I know off, but you say ‘thank Celestia’ when something good or lucky happens. It depends really.” Spike said.

Oh, that makes sense… I think.

Spike looked around, I did as well and saw nopony, so Spike whispered, “What would you normally say?” He gave me a wink.

He must have referred to humans, but I guess it sounded like ‘thank god’ but I didn’t know if they even had religion here, and I would not want to be the pony to introduce that concept, so I had to find a dictionary to see if I could find the word.

Umm, not sure Spike,” I laughed nervously, “I let you know if I remember.

Alright,” He said a bit disappointed, before he asked in his normal voice, “Have you seen the comic strip yet?

Show me.

Time flew by as Spike showed me the comic strips and his collection of comic strips.

Author's Note:

It's been a while, I'm sorry about the delay :fluttercry: I've had some trouble writing, but I will work harder to try and get a new chapter released faster than this one. :twilightblush:

To those that noticed that Lyra have been seen in the show before this point in time, well that doesn't matter :twilightsmile:

Thanks to Bookish Velvet for helping me get the chapter out.

And a big thanks to MidnightTwinkle for trying to get me to write.

Both of these awesome ponies have stories of their own, so check them out

PreviousChapters Next