• Published 25th Jul 2020
  • 9,319 Views, 548 Comments

Afterlife - Star Sparkle



The story of Stef the human's journey of discovery and self discovery, and of the unlikely bond that forms between him and Twilight.

  • ...
37
 548
 9,319

PreviousChapters Next
Friday Fun

Author's Note:

Hi everypony, my editor has been very busy as of late, so this chapter is only edited by me, but hopefully, in the future, it would get a proper edit, let me know if you spot some mistakes and I'll correct them.


The story is not dead and if I decide at some point to stop writing on this story, then the final chapter would be what else I have planned for the story.
That's a Pinkie Promise :pinkiehappy:

As time passed, the last pony left, and Twilight then came over to Spike and me.

Are you two having fun?” Twilight asked.

Yep,” I said, “Spike is showing me his comic collection.

That’s awesome, but the library is closed now.” Twilight said, “We could head upstairs and read, organize books, read, practice magic, read, read comics, or read.

So, I take it you wanna read?” I asked with a giggle.

Twilight laughed nervously as she nodded, Spike and I agreed.

As we walked upstairs, I wanted to write to Princess Celestia, just to tell her what happened since I wrote last time, maybe not mentioning the thing with the fillies, but what happened at the toy store, that might be important to tell her.

I sighed as even if I wrote it, it wouldn’t change anything, the only one to control my brain was me, unfortunately. But hopefully, Sunday, when Twily and I go back to the toy store, I might be more prepared, either that or I’m going to make a mess, again.

As I had my self-awareness so far away from everything around me I walked into my door.

OW!!” I yelled.

What are you doing Star?” Twilight asked, but as I didn’t hear any hooves clanking towards me, I knew she wasn’t running over.

I hit my head on the door.” I rubbed my hoof on my head, trying to ease the pain.

Are you okay?” Twilight asked with a bit more concern in her voice.

I’m fine,” I responded and looked at her, “it just hurt a bit, that’s all.

Twilight nodded and rested on her reading pillow, I opened my door and got inside, and looked for my book. Quickly I found it, I grabbed it with my teeth and walked back out to Twilight.

Twilight?” I asked.

Huh, do you want to practice writing on the book you write to the Princess? That’s a bad idea.” Twilight said.

No no, I wanted to write to her, to tell her about what happened at the toy store and that we’re going there on Sunday as you promised.” I said as I had been behaving all week.

Oh! I remember that, do you want me to write?” Twilight asked.

Yes please.” I pleaded.

Twilight nodded and turned to a new page, ink bottle, and quill. She dipped the quill and said, “Now, what do you want to write?

I thought back on the toy store and how childish I acted.

Dear Princess Celestia.
I wanted to tell you about what happened a few days ago. I was planning on telling you in person, but I wanted to write now as I got a bit concerned on my way home from school.
Last Tuesday, Twilight and I went to a toy store and I lost control of myself and ran loose like a child. In the end Twilight had to get me.
As I look back on the event, I don’t really know how to feel about it. Some parts of me enjoyed it, as concern about my ability to go home disappeared and I could just enjoy the moment. Another part of me fears it could erase my memories.
I would love to hear what you think I should do as Twilight and I are going back on Sunday.

Yours,
Star Sparkle.

“...And your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight finished and closed the book.

Thanks big sis,” I said, “What now?

Do you want to practice your magic with me?” Twilight asked.

I nodded in excitement, “Yes please.

As I was about to run downstairs Twilight asked, “Looking for this?” I looked back at her and she levitated my quill, I nodded and she placed it on the floor.

I walked over to the quill, laid down, and drew in a relaxing breath. I allowed the magic through me and my horn lit up. I looked at the quill and focused, I released a calm breath and my magic surrounded the quill.

My aura flickered like a lightbulb not screwed in properly, another calm breath in, but I felt a little bit of frustration start to creep into me. Remembering Twilight’s words, relax, allowed me to release a much calmer breath and my aura took hold of the feather. It felt as heavy as the first time, but I tried to relax and let the magic do the work.

My magic had engulfed the quill and after Twilight had said it could take some time, so much time passed, and even with the patience I had as an adult, this was testing me, I felt more and more irritated.


I banged my hoof on the floor in frustration. “It’s been minutes! Why isn’t it working?! I already lifted it at school, so what gives!

Twilight walked over to me with a giggle, the feather floated up, in her magic.

You managed to lift it, but not with the right method,” she explained. “While sometimes exertion lets you push yourself a little further, it’s wrong to always rely on it, Star.

I know, I know!” I said, a little frustrated.

Hehe, in time, it also took me some getting used to, but as I learned to let the magic do the work, it became easier.” Twilight ended as my stomach began to grumble, “Well somepony is hungry.

I giggled just before I said, “A little bit, yeah.” I hadn’t even noticed I was getting hungry, maybe it’s the use of magic, or at least the practicing of magic that’s exhausting, like a normal workout. So I asked, “What's for dinner?

Twilight put a hoof to her chin in thought, but then asked, “Have I taken you out for hay burgers and hay fries?

I loved the hay burgers Night Light made!” How could I forget those! They tasted like normal meat burgers, it was delicious.

Night Light-” Twilight said out loud to herself as she looked at me, did she forget her own dad’s name?, but she got back to reality as she continued, “Oh, yeah, those are really good. But I was thinking that we could go to a restaurant called Burger Queen. What do you say?

I’m in if Spike is.

Twilight nodded and we looked at Spike who was pretty occupied with his comic.

Spike!” I yelled.

He flinched away from the sudden noise, completely confused and totally disorientated, yelping out a “Huh?! Wait, what?” His reaction looked so much like Twilight’s I giggled as he asked, “Hey, what’s up Star?

As I still giggled I asked, “Wanna get hay burgers and fries for dinner?

Oh yeah! But why are you laughing?” Spike asked in confusion.

When I called for you,” I giggled out, “Your reaction looks like Twilight’s.” I then broke out into laughter.


As I composed myself, I saw Spike in front of me, who wore a sinister grin and asked, “You done?

I got confused, and Twilight next to me was also confused before Spike asked, “Do you happen to remember the first time you got the cookie?

The good behavior cookie? Yes.

Something that happened just before that reminded me of when Twilight was younger. On many occasions, she would lean up against our mom as she read, but as soon as mom stood up Twilight fell over.” He was about to burst and I knew what he was about to say, even before he said it, “And you did the same as Twilight.” Spike then laughed and I only began to blush, as Twilight also laughed.

But soon both were done and I said, “Haha, very funny Spike, but can we go get food now.

Both nodded and after Twilight had gotten her saddlebag we left towards the Hay Burger’s restaurant.


As we arrived I got the feeling this was like a fast food cafe, but it was actually called the Burger Queen.

We walked inside and over to the front counter to order.

A male earth pony stood behind the counter and said, “Hello and welcome to Burger Queen, what can I get for you today?

Hello sir,” Twilight said, “is this able as a take out?

Of course, Miss.” The stallion responded.

Twilight then turned to me, “So, what do you want, Star?

I looked up at the menu and saw a few different selections, and guessed I should choose from the kids’ menu. At that selection, there was a menu that consisted of a medium hay burger with a small bag of hay fries. But since I hadn’t tried those, but I loved the hay burger, I now wanted to try the fries.

Can I have a number 3?” I asked.

Of course Star. What about you Spike?” Twilight asked.

Hmm… Do you have any gems?” Spike asked the stallion.

Umm,” he looked up at the menu on the wall, and after a few seconds he turned back to Spike, “I’m sorry sir, but as gems aren’t meant for ponies to eat, I’m afraid we don’t have them.

That’s fine, most don’t,” Spike joked back, “I’ll take number 5 with extra fries.

The stallion shrugged, the very picture of apathy. “Very well, and you, Miss?” He turned his gaze towards Twilight.

I’ll take a number 5 as well, with those new horseshoe fries!

We’ll get right on that, Miss. It won’t be more than 5 minutes.

Twilight thanked him and we went to a seat and waited.


Some time passed as ponies walked in and out of the restaurant, a few foals were crying over one thing or another and young ponies I hadn’t really seen in school were complaining that they could only order from the kid's menu, others wanted extras. I mean. I must be the most well-behaved filly in Equestria, even though I’m cheating a bit. I giggled to myself.

What’s so funny Star?” Spike asked, “Another comparison?

Nope, I just giggled, for no reason.” I responded with a smile.

As if on cue the stallion called us up, Twilight put our dinner in her saddlebags and we went home.

It was a quiet evening for Ponyville, according to Twilight. Somepony would usually be having a party or some other celebration, but tonight was very quiet. We barely met anypony, and amongst the few ponies we met were none I could recognize.

The quiet ambient of the town hit me, I had never really been out at this time for a while, birds chirping in the air, the wind blowing in the trees, and the river that floated through the city. But as the ambient of the nighttime ended, we were home and were soon in the dining room.

As Spike got the plates out, I helped Twilight to get the food and some soda on the table, and my bag was the smallest, but given Spike got extra fries and Twilight got those horseshoes things, then it made sense.

The table was set, and as we ate Twilight asked, “So Star, I know you said earlier that nothing happened between you and the crusaders, but did anything fun happen in school today?

Spike giggled but didn’t comment.

Umm, oh yeah, we had a class where we were able to play or in some ways, I think it was called homeroom. It was really fun, I played ‘go fish’ with some other ponies from class.” I said, remembering the good time I had.

Sounds like a fun time, Spike and I might have played that game a few too many times.” Twilight said as she nervously giggled, but then asked, “So, nothing else happened?

As I wasn’t sure of what to say, I began to drink my soda.

As I drank, Twilight asked, “You didn’t meet anypony special?

Then it hit me, was she talking about Snails. As he walked me home Twilight or at least Spike must have seen it. But as I knew Snails and I were just friends, did Spike and Twilight think…

I spat the mouth full of soda all over the table in surprise, “What!? No. We’re just friends.” But as I looked on the table there were many little puddles of soda and I immediately grabbed for the towels. As I tried to clean I very hastily said, “S-s-sorry you two, I'll clean it up.

Star, Star!” Twilight called, but I was still trying to clean, “It’s okay, it was an accident,” I looked at her, and as she rubbed her hoof behind her head, “and it was kinda my fault.” She giggled nervously while blushing.

As I felt calmer and had replayed it all in my head, and she was the one who asked me as I was drinking, so I responded, “No, it was your fault.” and felt the need to pull my tongue at her.

I’m sorry Star, I should have waited until you were done.” Twilight said.

I looked back on the table and noticed that most of my soda had also landed in Twily's food, so justice was served, “Apology accepted big sis, but how did you know? Weren’t you helping the mayor?

Well yes, but Spike wasn’t.” Twilight responded.

As Spike continued, “I was cleaning a window as I saw you walking home with Snails and then told Twilight.

So, are you with Snails?” Twilight asked.

Taking a few seconds to take it in, I responded, “No, I’m not in a relationship with Snails, he did ask me out, but I said I wasn’t interested in a relationship, he offered to be friends, and I agreed and this Tuesday we’re going to get ice cream, as friends.” I emphasize as I said ‘as friends’.

Twilight was silent for a moment, maybe to collect her thoughts or something, “Well, I’m proud of how you handled the situation, and I don’t know if I need to say this, but I will, just in case. As you one day hope to return to your world, a relationship would then not be the best to form.

Don’t worry Twi, I know, the only relationships I’m going to form is friends,” I said, but as I thought about it, would friendship not have the same outcome? As so I asked, “Just out of curiosity, what will happen after I leave, some ponies would notice that I’m not there anymore, what will you then say?” I asked.

She brushed her chin, but as Spike came with a bucket of water and a piece of cloth she said, “Well, I’m not sure, the only thing Princess Celestia said was that she wanted you to learn magic, properly to see what you would be cable of, but she never mentioned what would happen after you left, only that you making friends wouldn’t hurt anypony.

Little time happened before Twilight said, “Don’t worry, I’m sure the princess know what to do, but for now, why don’t you go up to my nightstand, they’re in the bottom drawer. Then Spike and will clean and make ready for a game night, what do you say?

Sure, that sounds fun, and as long as it’s getting away from the topic of relationship, then I’m all aboard.” I smiles and gave a small laugh.


I walked up to her bed and went to the nightstand, the bottom right drawer, I opened it and saw the cards, still in the original packing, they looked very similar to Twist’s new cards.

I closed the drawer, but as I did, a tear fell, as flashbacks to the nightmare I had the day I went to the spa with Rarity. I remember Twilight was heartless, and in this drawer, Spike took a scroll that told Princess Celestia to come and erase my memory. I felt myself shiver, just by the thought of it. But Twilight wouldn’t do that, would she, I mean, I knew she wouldn’t, so no harm could happen if I took a sneak peek.

I opened the drawer and inside lay some kind of scroll, my heart began to beat faster, I felt a little sick, 'was this the scroll to Princess Celestia? The scroll that would tell her to, to erase my memory.' I thought.

I wanted to know what was inside this scroll, but if Twilight saw that it had been moved then she would know that I did it, so I weighed my options. If I looked at the scroll now and risk being discovered by Twilight or wait for another day, when Twilight and Spike were gone, then I could examine the scroll more safely and carefully.

If it's the scroll that would tell Princess Celestia's to come and wipe my memory, then I'll have time to escape if the two were gone. But if it wasn’t about me, then nothing would happen and only if she discovered that I had seen it. It would be seen an invasion of her privacy.

Twilight then called out, “Star! What is taking you so long?

I jumped in surprise, “Not-nothing! I’m coming!” I carefully closed the drawer, took the cards carefully with my teeth, and walked back down to Twilight as I thought, ‘I have to keep calm and wait for the right moment.’

Back down in the living room, Twilight asked, “Did you have trouble finding them?

I giggled nervously as I lay the cards down, trying to hide what I knew, “A little bit, but I found them.

Twilight took them in her magic, opened the packing, and as she gave a loving smile, she said, “Take a seat, Spike will be here soon.” I nodded and sat down on a pillow as Twilight shuffled the cards.
Spike soon came with a big bowl of candy and Twilight gave both Spike and I seven cards each, and seven cards for herself, then she mixed the rest on the floor.


A few turns later, I sat with a pink alicorn card, but it was Twilight's turn, “Hmm… Spike, do you have and Cadence’s?

‘What is a Cadinse?’ I thought.

Nope, go fish Twilight.” Spike responded.

I looked at my cards and thought, ‘was the pink alicorn, Cadinse?’

Hello? Anypony home.” Spike called out.

Huh, wait what?” I asked in confusion, much to Twilight's amusement.

It’s you turn Star.” Spike said.

Hmm… Twilight, do you have any of those Cadinse’s?” I asked, not sure if I got the name correct.

Twilight groned, “Yes…” Then levitated me three cards.

I placed the cards on the floor and asked, “So, Twilight? Who is this Cadiense?

You mean Cadence?” Twilight asked.

Ohhh, yes, her, who is it?” I asked.

I haven’t told you?” Twilight asked, I shook my head in response, then Twilight continued and said, “Cadence was my foal sitter when I was little, she’s such a caring pony, kind, fun and is even able to spread love where ever she goes.

She sounds like a nice pony,” I said, before I asked, “where is she?

It’s been over a year since I last saw her as she’s not so much in Canterlot these days due to her studying all across Equestria, and probably in other lands as well…” Twilight trailed off.

I take it that you miss her.” I asked.

A bit, as she was always there for me… I mean, I know I have Spike and all my Ponyville friends now. But before I came here, and before Spike was hatched, I really only had Shining Armor as my BBBFF, mom and dad were busy with work and so Cadence was my first friend.

Why not set up a day to meet her again? I’m pretty sure she would love to hear from you again.” I suggested.

I’m pretty sure she has other things to attend to. She is a princess after all.” Twilight said, but whether Twilight wanted to or not, she would meet Cadence again, that could even be the day that I would find out about that scroll, if not sooner.

There’s no harm in trying to make contact you know.” I said, but Twilight didn't respond, maybe she was thinking it over, so I said, “Spike, your turn.

Right, umm, Star do you have any fives?

How did you know?” I then handed him my two fives.


As we were done with the game both Spike and I yawned, so Twilight suggested, “How about we call it for the night? It’s been a long day.

I yawned as I said, “Sure thing, do I have to take my bath tonight, or can it wait till tomorrow?” I just wanted to sleep.

I looked over at Spike who had fallen asleep on his pillow, with his head in the bowl of candy.

Yeah, let’s just go to bed, but tomorrow morning it’s bathtime, deal?

Deal.” I agreed.

We went to the bathroom and made ourselves ready and after Twilight carried me to my bedroom, placed my night protection on me, then dressed me in my pajamas, lay me down in bed, handed me Flurry, I snuggled into Flurry’s soft fur, and said, “Ni ni big sis.

Sweet dream Star.” Twilight whispered before she went to the door, shut the lights off, and closed the door.

I slowly fell asleep and even though I still feared what the scroll would be about, that wouldn’t matter, and as I faded into dreamland, I smiled.

PreviousChapters Next