• Published 25th Jul 2020
  • 9,292 Views, 548 Comments

Afterlife - Star Sparkle



The story of Stef the human's journey of discovery and self discovery, and of the unlikely bond that forms between him and Twilight.

  • ...
36
 548
 9,292

PreviousChapters Next
What's Left?

Inside Ponyville multiple homes had holes in them and four building lay in ruin with the firth fell over as we watched, most of the food in town was gone and several lamps, benches and food carts were destroyed, it was a mess as Twilight shared my thoughts ‘’Well Pinkie Pie, you saved most of Ponyville.‘’

The rest of us only said ‘’Yep.‘’ Or ‘’Uh-huh.‘’ As we answered Twilight.

We walked to the city hall and an earth pony Twilight said was called Mayor Mare, the mayor of Ponyville and as she talked about what had happened she encouraged everypony to help rebuild Ponyville, I guess that’s why she was the mayor.

When her speech was done Twilight said ‘’Star, I want you to go home and with Spike you two must make a list of all the books that’s left intact and undamaged, then we’ll know which once we’re missing.‘’

‘’I will, what about you?‘’

‘’I’ll stay and help rebuild some houses, then I’ll come home when I’m done.‘’ I nodded and walked towards the library.

As I came back to the library, Spike greeted ‘’Star, you’re back! What happened to the Princess?‘’

‘’Um… She said that there was an emergency in, Fillydelphia, so she had to go and take care of it.‘’

‘’Too bad, but maybe it's better that way, I mean have you seen Ponyville?‘’

‘’Yeah, there is a few holes, in everything.‘’

‘’Ha ha, precisely. But what’s the plan now?‘’

‘’Oh yeah, Twilight told me that the two of us should check all the books that are still normal and write them on a list, then Twilight knows which once we’re missing and will then order them back.‘’

‘’Sounds like a plan, where do we start?‘’

‘’Um…‘’ I looked around and he had actually made the library look nice, placed all the books on the shelves, it would make it easier to check the books and I asked ‘’How does it look upstairs?‘’

‘’Like down here. Why do you ask?‘’

‘’Well, if you write down the things that are destroyed, like I know my bed is, write those down on one list. I will then begin to check the books, throwing the ones that are ruined on the floor and leaving the good ones on the shelf. Remember, the books need to be on a separate list.‘’

‘’Sounds like a plan.‘’ Spike said.

I smiled and walked up to Twilight’s bed and it had escaped the parasprites' mouths and I placed my saddlebag on the bed and told Spike my book from the Princess was there, he heard and I walked back down and looked through each book.

Because of my height and my lack of magic, I could only reach the three bottom shelves. As I checked them it was easier with those that missed a big piece as they went straight to the floor, but others, only a few words were taken, luckily they were mostly in the middle of the books and I checked there first.

After a long time the door opened up and Twilight walked inside and called ‘’Spike!‘’ He came down and Twilight continued ‘’Why is Star doing all the work?‘’

I looked at Twilight confused, as Spike had actually been on the second floor and worked since we started, but before I could say anything Spike said ‘’I’m doing what Star said I should do, making a list of our broken things and I’ve just started on the list of the books that have been destroyed up here. When I’m done, then I’ll help Star down here.‘’

‘’Oh, sorry Spike.‘’ Twilight apologized before she said ‘’I got refreshments for the both of you.‘’

‘’Thanks big sis.‘’ I answered.

‘’Thanks Twilight.‘’ Spike answered.

We took our really tasty apple juice as it turned out and I said ‘’Mmm… This is delicious.‘’

‘’I’ll be sure to let Applejack know you like it.‘’ Twilight responded.

I drank the rest and asked ‘’Are you done outside now?‘’

‘’Not yet, but soon we’re done.‘’ Twilight responded and Spike went back upstairs and before Twilight left she levitated all the books I couldn’t reach and placed them in a corner and said ‘’There you go Star.‘’

‘’Thanks Twilight.‘’ I responded before I resumed my job and Twilight left.

Hours came and went and when I needed about twenty books, Spike came down and began to note which books that were left intact.

As I was done Spike made the note of the book I placed back onto the shelf and he said ‘’So… according to my list, we’re missing about half of our books.‘’

‘’Wow, that’s a lot, what about our stuff?‘’

‘’Well, as you said, your bed is destroyed, my bed as well, much furniture, most things in the kitchen, but not the cookie jar. But Twilight’s bed is fine and a some other things.‘’

‘’That’s good news.‘’ I gave him a smile as the door swung open.

Twilight came in, she looked very exhausted, we ran over to her and I asked ‘’Twilight, are you okay?‘’

She gave me a smile and said ‘’I am, just a little bit tired.‘’ She looked around the library ‘’Wow, this place looks great, how many books are missing?‘’

‘’According to my list, we’re missing about a hundred and fifty books, around half.‘’ Spike responded.

‘’How about the rest of Ponyville, is it any better out there?‘’ I asked.

Twilight got up and said ‘’Well, most of Rarity’s outfits are ruined, including your dress and Applejack’s home was destroyed, but have been rebuilt. Five homes had fallen, but have also been rebuilt, the rest of Ponyville that was only damaged and those buildings have also been repaired. So much of Ponyville is back to its normality now, there is just a small food shortage, but nothing serious.‘’

As we went upstairs, it was clean, very clean as Twilight said ‘’Wow Spike, it’s beautiful up here, so this is what you have been doing?‘’

‘’Yep, it is our home after all.‘’ Spike said with a proud voice and as I walked up to Twilight’s bed, Spike told Twilight what he had told me about our stuff, including the state of his and my bed.

As I reached Twilight’s bed and my saddlebag on it, I took it down and got the letter from Princess Celestia out. The envelope itself said ‘Star Sparkle’ I opened it up, as using my hooves were becoming more of a second nature, I got it open and read.

Dearest Star Sparkle.
I’m giving you this letter as my trip to Ponville must have been interrupted and I would be unable to talk to you at this time, but as Twilight Sparkle has informed me, you are going to Canterlot from the 15. to the 18. and if you would like it, I would love to see you in Canterlot on the 16.

Attached to this letter is a piece of paper that you must show the guards at the palace door, then they will lead you to me.

Yours Princess Celestia.

As I had read it I called ‘’Twilight!‘’

‘’Yeah!‘’

‘’What date do we have today?‘’

‘’The 14., why do you ask?‘’

‘’So it’s tomorrow that um.. I’m going to Canterlot?‘’

She came up to me and sat in front of me and said ‘’It is. Are you nervous to meet our parents?‘’

‘’A little bit.‘’

‘’Don’t worry and as I said a few days ago, you don’t have to call them mom and dad, but Velvet for mom, and Night Light for dad, they understand and want to make you feel welcome.‘’

‘’Thanks, but I’m still nervous.‘’ I answered but as I thought back on what Princess Celestia said about the friendship report and I asked ‘’Twilight, what’s a friendship report, the one Princess Celestia talked about?‘’

‘’You see Star, when I learn about friendship, I’m meant to write it to the Princess.‘’

‘’Why?‘’

‘’Because I’m in Ponyville and studying friendship.‘’

‘’Okay, but why are you studying friendship?‘’

‘’Huh… I guess I haven’t told you about what happened when I met my friends or how I was before I came to Ponyville.‘’

‘’No, I guessed you just lived in Ponyville.‘’

‘’Hehe, not really, well, about a month ago I saw-‘’ Twilight stopped and looked out into nothing, maybe as she remembered back, but as I waved my hoof in front of her she snapped out of it and said ‘’Huh, what?‘’

‘’You spaced out a bit, is something wrong?‘’

‘’No, not at all, I was just thinking how I should tell the story, but I got it now and as I said. I felt something bad would happen in Ponyville, at the Summer Sun Celebration, I told the Princess but she told me not to worry and sent me to Ponyville, to check on the preparations and make friends. In Ponyville I only wanted to find out what that feeling was. Doing the day I met Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy and then Pinkie Pie and they all came to my welcome to Ponyville party and to put it mildly, I was not happy about it, I believed friends were not worthy of my time. In the morning of the Summer Sun Celebration Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were gone but the moon was still up and a shadow appeared out of nowhere and said it had taken the princesses and would not give them back. I ran back to the library and tried to find a solution, my best bet was to find the elements of harmony, to defeat the shadow. However the ponies that called themselves my friends, went with me and we walked to the castle of the two sisters, Princess Celestia’s and Princess Luna’s old castle. Doing the trip I saw each of the girls display an element of harmony. When I was about to fall off a cliff that collapsed, Applejack told me I would be safe if I let go of her, she told the truth and I was saved by Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. When a manticore attacked us, Fluttershy showed it kindness and pulled a thorn out of the paw. When walking in a dark part of the forest, we saw monsters, but Pinkie Pie only laughed at them and they disappeared, as we realized they were only faces in the trees. As we then came to a river we needed to cross, a giant sea serpent was creating waves so high we couldn’t cross, all because his mustache had fallen off, so Rarity cut off her tail and made him a new mustache and in return he helped us over to the other side. We then had a bridge we needed to cross, but it had been cut, so Rainbow Dash flew over and from what we could see, some on the other side offered Rainbow Dash something, but she refused and made the bridge whole and we crossed. Inside the castle I tried to get the spark ignited to get the sixth hidden element, but the creature of darkness came and teleported me and the elements to a tower, I got to the elements, but I couldn’t ignite the spark. That was until I heard the girls come to me and I realized that they all represented an element of harmony each and I represented the element of magic and together we defeated the darkness, freeing Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. When we arrived back in Ponyville, I didn’t want to go back to Canterlot, but stay with my friends, as it was from that day I saw what friendship really meant to me and I didn’t want to lose it, so Princess Celestia then had me write friendship letters to her.‘’

‘’Wow… Um… I don’t know what to say… You did say in Canterlot that the magic of friendship is the strongest magic, so I guess it makes sense. It’s still wired for me, but new world, new rules I guess.‘’

‘’Hehe, something like that.‘’

‘’How many have you written, while I have been here?‘’

‘’Well, I wrote one on the day before I meet you and again about the slumber party with Rarity and Applejack, then again about Zecora and told Princess Celestia the third today.‘’

‘’Have you ever written about me?‘’

‘’I have mentioned you, but friendship letters only about you, no. The letters I have written about you to the Princess were more of the formal, like that you’re going to Canterlot to meet our parents.‘’ A pause before Twilight smiled and asked ‘’That reminds me, what would you say to sleep in the castle from the 16. to the 17.?‘’

‘’Huh, why?‘’

‘’Well, then it wouldn’t be too much for you, it’s the first time you’re meeting Velvet and Night Light.‘’

‘’Are you sure? I don’t want to make a bad first impression by sleeping at another place.‘’

‘’Don’t worry Star, we have actually already talked about it and they’re both okay with you going for the night.‘’

‘’Okay, but when am I going back?‘’

‘’Sunday the 18. I’ll come to Canterlot and pick you up.‘’ Twilight said.

Spike came up and said ‘’By the way Star, the creatures didn’t take that book you were reading.‘’

‘’Thanks Spike.‘’ I said as I got the book.

‘’You want to read next to me?‘’ Twilight asked, I nodded and we went down to Twilight’s reading cushion and read next to Twilight.

After many chapters I had seen the name Celestia a lot of times, but it must be like it is in my world, where names in royal families get passed down and the current Princess Celestia must be this Celestia’s descendant, that would also explain the lack the mention of Princess Luna ‘Ha, or else they're immortal, yeah right,’ I rolled my eyes at the idea.

Twilight nuzzled me as she said ‘’I think dinner is ready.‘’

‘’Dinner’s ready everypony.‘’ Spike called from the dining room.

As we walked into the dining room I got on my cushion seat and in front of me was two plates, one big empty one and the other was a smaller one with a piece raw broccoli on, I looked at Twilight as she said ‘’Remember last night, I said you’ll get two cookies if you try one little piece.‘’ I looked down and saw the broccoli on the plate, it didn’t smell bad so I nodded. A few hoofsteps later and Twilight sat behind me and from my right my bunny came into view as Twilight said ‘’Will it help, if you hold her or do you want me to remove her?‘’ I took the bunny.

From my left Spike came and hugged me ‘’We’re all here for you.‘’ I gave him a smile as Twilight embraced me and used her magic on a fork and took the piece of broccoli and took it closer to my mouth.

I opened my mouth and I felt myself become very warm, not even my parents could get me to try raw broccoli. The broccoli came closer and I breathed more and more heavily, it came into my mouth and I bit down, but as I chewed on it, my head hurt, like a migraine hit me for a second, my vision became blurry before I swallowed.

Twilight hugged me and said with joy ‘’Oh… I’m so proud of you sweetie. Was it as bad as you thought?‘’

‘’No… But I still don’t like it.‘’

‘’That’s okay, you tried and as I promised you’ll get two cookies after dinner.‘’ I smiled at her while I knew I did it and I’ll get my cookies, Twilight and Spike came back to their seats and we ate the rest of the dinner Spike had made.

After dinner I got permission from Twilight to leave the table, but as I walked to my room, Twilight asked ‘’Didn’t you forget something?‘’ Then it hit my, my two cookies and I turned around to face her as she walked to me and scooped me up and as I lay in her hooves she levitated a cookie down to me and I took it with both my hooves and ate it, it was bigger that any other cookie I’ve ever gotten. When the cookie was gone Twilight used her magic, but not to get me my other cookie, but some bigger crumbs that fell down on my chest as I ate the first cookie, I ate them before Twilight levitated the last cookie down to me and again I used my hooves and ate the cookie.

When I was done Twilight said ‘’It’s time for your bath now.‘’ I nodded and Twilight walked to the bathroom.

As Twilight placed me down in the tub she turned on the water and as the water began to fill I asked ‘’Big sis? Why did you carry me?‘’

‘’You looked to enjoy it. Did you not like it?‘’

‘’No no, it was okay, it was just… I don’t know.‘’

‘’I’m your big sister, so it’s okay to enjoy it.‘’

‘’I guess…‘’ I said as she began to scrub me. But I began to wonder how I would take a bath in Canterlot and asked ‘’Big sis?‘’

‘’Yeah?‘’

‘’Shouldn’t I learn how to wash myself, I am going to Canterlot, where you won’t be.‘’

‘’If you want to, I’ll teach you.‘’

But as I thought that it would only be for a few days and Twilight parents did bath Twilight when she was little and as they knew about me, it wouldn’t be the worst and I couldn’t deny it, it felt nice to been taken care off ‘’I guess it can wait until I come back from Canterlot.‘’

‘’If you’re sure then I know Velvet and Night Light will help you as well and to brush your teeth.‘’ Twilight said.

After my bath I walked back inside my room and saw it wasn’t that bad of a mess as I thought, Spike had apparently cleaned up in here as well. I looked to the stairs to my balcony and saw my quill, it had survived the parasprites as well. I walked over to it, laid down and closed my eyes. As I focused my magic I felt the quill and as I released a breath of air I again felt the quill as it moved, but as I opened my eyes I looked into my aura and it was be-.

I lost my focus as I heard a bump from outside my door and saw the quill as it fell to the ground ‘I did it, I levitated the quill,’ now I needed to do it with my eyes open but not tonight. I took a book from the shelf and read ‘Daring Do’ I looked at the back and it looked interesting enough, but before I could begin to read a few knocks came and I answered ‘’Come in.‘’

‘’Hey Star, it’s bedtime now.‘’

‘’Sure.‘’ I said a little bit defeated as I remembered my failed attempt ‘’I’m coming.‘’

‘’What’s wrong sweetie?‘’

‘’Nothing, I just can’t seem to see my aura without getting into a trance.‘’

‘’One day sweetie and then it’ll be done.‘’

‘’I just wish I could use magic like you can.‘’

‘’Sweetheart, I have practiced magic for about 10 years, you have used magic for 10 days and you’ve learned so much in those days, but if you want to, I’ll talk with Princess Celestia and make you my personal student so I get permission to teach you more advance magic, when we come to that.‘’

‘’Really? I thought you already were my teacher and big sister.‘’

‘’Well, technically I’m also your guardian, as that was the only way for you to live with me. But I’m still Princess Celestia’s personal student, so I’ll have to ask her.‘’

‘’Guardian? Huh… Fair enough.‘’

‘’Let's get those teeth brushed and then to bed.‘’ I nodded and followed her to the bathroom and then to her bed where my bunny waited for me.

Twilight got in her bed first, then Spike and after I jumped up and I got close to Twilight and as I snuggled up to her belly, as she held me and soon I was half asleep.





As close to sleeping before I fell asleep, I said ‘’Night mommy.‘’

PreviousChapters Next