• Published 25th Jul 2020
  • 9,320 Views, 548 Comments

Afterlife - Star Sparkle



The story of Stef the human's journey of discovery and self discovery, and of the unlikely bond that forms between him and Twilight.

  • ...
37
 548
 9,320

PreviousChapters Next
Day 23: Stare Master:

A nuzzle on my muzzle woke me up, and as I slowly opened my eyes, Twilight step aside.

I yawned as I said, "Morning big sis," then wiped the sleep from my eyes.

A smiling Twilight said, "Morning Star, how did you sleep?"

I slept great,” I said with a smile.

Twilight smiled as she helped me to take my pajamas off and get the used protection off.

What’s for breakfast?” I asked.

We’re having eggs and toast.” Twilight responded.

Smiling, I tucked Flurry back into bed, Twilight brushed my mane and tail as I wondered what an egg would taste like, as hay taste like steak.

After getting ready we went out to Spike who had already set the table. I took my glass of apple juice and said, “This looks so juicy Spike.

Thanks Star, and good morning.

Morning Spike.” I responded with a smile and drank my juice.

After my juice I took an egg and ate it, it was strange, as it tasted like a normal egg, not a bad egg, so I continued to eat.

When we finished eating, Twilight suggested going for a walk in the park.

I get excited to get out and play, it was truly a thing I missed to do with the crusaders, but I trusted Twilight when she said that I should give them time.

After I got Twilight convinced that a bath should be after being outside and playing, she sighed and agreed, but once we got home, then there were no excuses, and I agreed.

The dishes were done and Spike went to get a ball and Twilight, being Twilight took four books in her saddlebag. Twilight then turned to me and asked, “You wanna bring Flurry?

"Hmm... Not really, Flurry would just get messy," I replied, Twilight nodded in agreement.

At this time Spike was already walking back towards us, holding a red ball in his hands.


I didn’t know where we were going, but Spike and I were playing as we passed the ball to each other, meanwhile, Twilight just seemed to be walking next to us and making sure we didn't bump into anypony.

We reached the park, and to both Spike’s and my surprise, Twilight called, "Hi Rainbow Dash!"

"What’s up Sparkles!" Rainbow replied.

Hi Rainbow,” I said, then asked, “What are you doing?

I just got off work,” Rainbow said as she landed on the ground.

I threw the ball towards Rainbow and asked, “You wanna play?

Rainbow bounced the ball on her head as she said, “If Twilight won’t mind.

Of course you can join Rainbow.” Twilight responded.

Let’s get going then!” Spike called out.

We all nodded and got going towards the park.


As we arrived at the park Rainbow was still bouncing the ball with her head

When we arrived in the park we passed the ball to each other, and when Rainbow flew high to catch my pitch, she kicked the ball to Spike, but it was too high, and Spike ran for it.

Surprised at Rainbow’s speed and reflexes I cheered "Wow Rainbow! How did you manage to react so fast?"

"I'm going to be competing, so I've been practicing a lot, hence this little stunt was no problem for me," bragged Rainbow lightly.

"Really, what kind of competition is that?" I asked.

Spike came as we arrived at the park and Twilight found a bench and took out a book.

"The competition is called 'best young flyers competition'," Rainbow explained.

When is it?” Spike asked.

Next week on Moonday, but it’s in Cloudsdale, so no non-pegasus,” Rainbow said, I got a bit disappointed as I wanted to see it, “Cheer up kid,” Rainbow said, “Let’s play some ball instead.

I nodded with a smile and called, “Pass it to me Spike!

He threw it and I ran for it, jumped, and headbutted the ball back to Rainbow, she passed it to Spike, who passed it back to Rainbow who headbutted the ball towards me, I turned and got on my front hooves, then kicked the ball high in the air.

As the ball came down it headed towards Twilight, and we all called out, “Twilight! Look out!!

Rainbow speeded over but was too late and as Twilight look up, the ball hit her straight in the face, then bounced off as nothing happened, Twilight only looked a bit confused.

I felt guilty because I was the one who hit the ball. I wanted to apologize and had already run towards Twilight, but not in time as Twilight quickly came to her senses, smiled mischievously, then picked up the ball and threw it.

"Rainbow! Catch it!" Twilight called.

Twilight threw the ball with her magic and Rainbow zoomed after it, leaving a cloud that resembled her body, I had to look twice and as it looked like a cartoon, but as I looked again nothing was there and Rainbow was on her way down.


We played for a good while before Twilight said, “Let’s do one last round.

We all nodded as Rainbow passed it to Spike, who kicked the ball in the direction I was before but slowly. I galloped back to where I was before and when the ball comes towards me, I got on my rear hooves and use my front hooves to bounce the ball from underneath so that it flies to the top and headed towards Twilight.

As the ball flew towards her, Twilight grabbed the ball in her magic.

When the ball ended up at Twilight's hooves, she coughed slightly to get attention, "Hey Rainbow, it's lunchtime for Star, Spike and I, Would you be interested in joining?"

No thanks Twi, I just ate before I spotted you three,” Rainbow replied.

Spotting the fact that some food preparation would happen or setting the table I asked, "Sis, can I stay with Rainbow? I want to play some more.

"If it’s okay with Rainbow, then of course," Twilight said, "Is that okay Rainbow?"

Cocky as ever Rainbow said, "No prob Twi, I’ll get her home soon,"

"Spike, do you want to stay with them?" asked Twilight.

"I would, but I also want to help you, I'm your number one assistant after all, so I'll go with you," Spike replied.

"Alright, 10 minutes more Star," said Twilight, then turned around and went home with Spike.

As Twilight and Spike left, Rainbow and I continued our game, but this time when I passed Rainbow, she also did little different tricks with the ball and then passed it to me.


After much fun Rainbow noticed the time and said, "Hey Star, we better get going or we’ll be late."

"Oh okay," I said and got a little upset, it was really fun.

As we left the park, I remembered Rainbow talking about a flying competition, and wanting to know more I asked, "Hey Rainbow, you mentioned some kind of competition, what was it?"

"These competitions determine the best flier in Equestria," Rainbow announced.

"How are you going to win? Are you going to make that huge tornado!?" I asked remembering the episode with the parasites.

Rainbow thought for a moment and then said scratched the back of her head, "Well... I've got some music and I've thought of a finale."

"Really, can I see?" I asked, feeling my tail wagging.

"No can-do kid, it's- umm… It’s a secret," Rainbow replied to me, much less cocky than normal.

"Oh okay," I replied, disappointed and a bit confused, but maybe it’s just a difficult or dangerous stunt.

I wanted to give her ideas for what she could do, so I asked, "I've heard that pegasi control the weather, could you use that in your competition?"

Well most, if not all pegasi can control the weather, so not so impressive.” Rainbow replied.

Is spinning difficult?” I asked.

It’s not for weak stomachs, why?

You could spin around two or more clouds making the spin very fast and maybe shape them into stuff like a strawberry. Or your cutie mark!” I suggested.

Rainbow brushed her chin, “That’s not a bad idea, hmm…” Rainbow thought, “What about three clouds? Maybe some high speed maneuvering.

That would be awesome and but would it not be difficult?” I asked, maybe it would be too much and it would be better to stay where you're comfortable.

Too difficult, I’m Rainbow 'danger' Dash,” Rainbow’s cocky voice said, giving me a wink, and threw me up on her back, “Hang tight kid.

I did, and we blasted into the air as one thought hit me, “Why is Rainbow calling me kid all the time?”, but the adrenalin hit me and I cheered.


After a fun flight Rainbow announced "We're home!" and together we opened the door to the Golden Oak Library.

Thanks for the lift Rainbow.” I thanked.

No prob, see you around, I gonna catch some Z’s” Rainbow said with a yawn, she placed her hoof up.

I bumped it and she ruffled my mane, she took to the skies.

I walked back into the library and headed upstairs.

Up in the dining room the table was set and as Twilight saw me, “Great timing Star, just in time.

Hehe, yep.” Perfect timing Rainbow, I smiled and walked to a chair and sat. On my plate was a sandwich, “What’s in it?

It’s a daisy sandwich, like the one you got brought to school.” Twilight said reminding me.

Next, I took my focus to the center of the table and on a plate there were three muffins, “Can I have a muffin too?

When your plate is empty, yes.” Twilight said as she began on her meal and Spike on his.

I took my sandwich and began to eat and the daisy flower still tasted so delicious. As I had eaten the sandwich I looked at Twilight and smiled, she locked eyes with me, smiled and nodded. One of the muffins glowed in Twilight’s aura and floated towards me, placed itself on my plate and I ate it, “Mmm, blueberry muffin.” I smiled, as it was really good.

Hehe,” Twilight giggled, “I’m glad you like it, but remember our deal.

I tilted my head, “Our deal?

Bath time silly filly.” Twilight teased, making me giggle.

Oh right, sure, now or…?” I questioned.

Mmmm…” Twilight pondered, “Spike, you okay with cleaning the table?

No prob Twi, you can count on me.” Spike hoisted himself up.

With that Twilight and I went for the bathroom and there was the same wooden barrel and soon with steam coming out of it. So all I had to do was get in the tub and wash myself, as I did Twilight prepared the towels, but since I still wasn’t strong enough to levitate the soap over, Twilight helped with that part.

"Sis?" I asked.

"Yes?" inquired Twilight.

"Remember you said that when you look at me, you have trouble seeing me as anything other than a filly?" I queried Twilight

"Yes, I remember, but why do you ask?" Twilight asked.

"Could it be that the part of you that sees me as a filly is making others to do the same?"

Twilight thought for a moment, composing her answer, “I have thought about it, did somepony find out?!” Twilight panicked.

No no, well yes, I mean Rainbow Dash, I’ve noticed she calls me ‘kid’ more than Star, or anything else really.” I said.

A much calmer Twilight now took a sigh of relief and said, “That’s good, for it being Rainbow Dash, hmm… Has she treated you like a kid, like more than normal?

Well, not more than you,” I teased, “But do you think she might treat me like a filly, but is more relaxed about it?

It might be possible, we might have to ask the other girls as well, they might be affected as well.

I nodded in agreement, and as my bath was done, Twilight took me out and dried my fur, tangled my mane in a towel to get dry, then we went to a clean living room, Spike sure had done wonders and was now chilling on a pillow reading his comic.

Twilight and I joined him and I got the book about fireworks out as I wanted to be better prepared, but still, moving objects at the same time and moving my light away from my horn, the book showed many ways I could, but none felt right, the only I really understood was the one that said it would feel like a magical burst, at least on the first try.

A poking in my side took me out of the book.

You awake?” Twilight teased.

Huh wait what?” I answered a confused, “Yes?

Twilight giggled, “Hehe, sorry for interrupting your reading Star, but we better comb your mane or it’s gonna be a mess.

Oh right,” I answered as I remembered how much it could hurt if t wasn’t combed.

Twilight soon came back with a comb and got to work on my mane and tail, then my fur, and besides from a few tugs the went very smoothly.

As we were done I said, “Thanks Twily,” then smiled.

No problem, now would you be interested in some fruit?” Twilight asked.

Hmm… Can I get some strawberries?” I asked.

Hmm, not sure we have any, but let me check.” Twilight responded, unsure.

The tension was high for me as Twilight went to the kitchen and after a few minutes came back and said, “Sorry Star, we don’t have any. Would you like something else?

No…” I trailed off and my ears dropped as well as my head, I just wanted some strawberries.

Cheer up Star, we’re also out of a tea I got from Zecora.” Twilight said, a bit too optimistic.

And why should that cheer me up?” I answered in a deadpan tone.

Because, if we went to Zecora hut, then on the way back we could get some strawberries.” Twilight gave me a wink.

But isn’t the Everfree Forest dangerous?” I asked, thinking back on when we first met Zecora.

It’s unlike any forest, yes, but if we hurry, then we should be back before dark, and being with friends, then you’re safer.” Twilight responded, “And besides we’ll use the path Zecora uses, according to her, she’s placed herbs that the creatures of the forest are disgusted by, so it’s very unlikely we’ll even hear any.

I thought about it for a bit, but the temptation of strawberries was too much and I said, “I guess three is better than one.

Don’t worry, I’ll keep you safe. You and Spike,” Twilight smiled warmly.

I nodded before Twilight gently called, “Spike?” His head peaked up, “We’re going to Zecora’s hut, you coming?

What?! That’s that in the Everfree Forest?” Spike asked in disarray.

It’s okay Spike,” I said with a smile, “Twilight will take care of us.

Spike thought for a bit, but in the end he nodded and said, “I’ll go, you’ll need a strong dragon hero to protect you.

Thanks Spike,” I said, with Twilight saying thanks too.

Twilight took her saddlebag on and we left the library, now out of the library we walked towards the forest, walking between the houses and shops, and all the while we walked. The peaceful and quiet afternoon ambiance of the town disappeared as a few ponies rushed past us, followed by a familiar yellow pegasus who stopped by us.

Hello Fluttershy,” Twilight responded cheerfully, as I waved.

Oh! Hello to you three. Where are you off too?” Fluttershy asked.

We’re heading to the Everfree Forest to Zecora’s to get some of my favorite tea.

And…” I said out loud.

And get Star some strawberries.” Twilight corrected herself.

Th-the Everfree Forest? Ah, you’ll be careful, won’t you.” Fluttershy’s voice was filled with fear and concern, making me unsure about going.

Twilight took her hoof around me, probably sensing my unease “Of course! How about you? What are you doing with the girls?

Girls,” I whispered under my breath, inaudible to others and look towards the ponies that rushed past us. My ears fell as I saw Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, I got a feeling to run over and play with them, but decided not to, they were probably still angry, and for a good reason, so instead I scooted closer to Twilight.

In order to move on Fluttershy said, “Well, Rarity has a big order to fill tonight, so I-

Rarity needs help!” Spike interrupted.

I don’t know about that,” Fluttershy said, “She just have her hooves full.

Umm Twi-” Spike started, but was cut off.

Just go Spike, Star and I can go alone, it’s okay.” Twilight said. Spike beamed of joy and sprinted towards, what I can only guess was Rarity's boutique.

But anyway,” Fluttershy said, “I offered to take care of the girls tonight and have their sleepover at my cottage tonight.

Sound like everypony has their hooves full today. Taking care of those three fillies by yourself? You sure you can handle it?” Twilight asked.

What? These sweet little angels?” Fluttershy asked as the crusaders looked be behave, “If I could easily take care of Star, then they’ll be no problem at all.

Well take care Fluttershy,” Twilight said.

You too girls, take care of eachother.” Fluttershy responded, “Wait, where are the girls?!” The crusaders had taken off. “Bye Star, bye Twilight!” FLuttershy got out as she flew after the girls.

Looking towards the direction Fluttershy went Twilight giggle, “Yep, she’s got her hooves full. Let’s go Star.

I nodded, but said nothing, maybe I should have said something, I mean Twilight and Fluttershy would be there, so maybe I could get my friends back.

You okay Star?” Twilight intrigued.

Huh? Yeah… I guess,” as good as I could be.

How about this, after we get the tea and strawberries, then we go to Fluttershy’s cottage and talk to the girls.” Twilight suggested.

It’s what I wanted, then why is my stomach telling me no, telling me to never see the girls again, I had trouble talking, but finally blurted out, “Okay!” Realizing I had just yelled, “I mean, yes, that would be nice, just.

I’ll be there for you,” Twilight reassured me, and as I looked up she greeted me with a warm smile.


We walked for quite some time and the sun was not as high, compared to when we started this walk, it was on its way down, I walked closer to Twilight and the hair on my back began to rise as I began to hear a strange sound in the bushes, and the worst part was that Twilight heard it too.

Twil-” I whispered.

Twilight hushed me, which only got my fear in overdrive, my adrenaline was going and Twilight stopped, “We're going back Star, now.” Her tone told me, this wasn't a request. I nodded and we headed back, a rusted here, a rustle there, right, left and it was coming closer.

Out from a bush, a chicken with the body of a snake and bat wings jumped out and stared at us with its bright red eyes.

STAR!!” Twilight yelled in a panic as she turned me around.

I caught a glimpse of her hooves, ‘stone,’ she was turning to stone and fear hit me harder and harder.

STAR! Run! Run back to Ponyville!! Get help,” Her neck was now turning to stone, ”Don’t look at its eyes!” but the final thing she did was shine a light, so bright it must have blinded the monster.

I took the opportunity to run, I closed my eyes and ran, replaying over and over in my head how Twilight had turned to stone because of some strange creature that looked like a chicken. I involuntarily started crying, but still, I ran as fast as I could and hoped that I could get away from the monster as fast as possible, but by the will of fate and a random branch in my path, I fell into a hole and hit my head.

Author's Note:

First, thanks to Midnight Twinkle for helping me with this chapter :pinkiehappy:

Second, A happy late Hearts Warming Eve to everypony. :yay:

PreviousChapters Next