• Published 25th Jul 2020
  • 9,317 Views, 548 Comments

Afterlife - Star Sparkle



The story of Stef the human's journey of discovery and self discovery, and of the unlikely bond that forms between him and Twilight.

  • ...
36
 548
 9,317

PreviousChapters Next
The Forest of Stare Master

My ears are all ringing, "What happened?" I whisper to myself.

Confused, I opened my eyes, a source of light from the top blinded me a little bit and soon the ringing ended.

I stood up on my hooves and regained my orientation, I turned around several times, examining my surroundings, I was in some sort of hole, or cave in the ground, and thankfully no animals were there. I looked at the light and looked up at the moon. As I did recent memories of how some monster had turned Twilight into stone came rushing into my head.

A tear that had formed fell from my eyes. More and more tears began to appear in my eyes. My ears and head drooped, but at some point, I heard eerie quiet noises.

I had to get up and out of this hole and somehow get back to Ponyville, else Twilight could be in worse trouble. I looked towards the moon again and saw that it wasn’t that steep of a climb to get up, I just had to be careful, and listen for the cockatrice.

After making sure I didn't hear anything suspicious, I got up from the pit and looked around once more, I now had to try and find my way out of the forest.

I tried to walk quickly and bravely, but I started to hear strange noises, I began to fear another encounter with the monster, so I began to crawl, flinching at the slightest sound and I didn’t even dare to blink in fear of not seeing the monster. I wandered around indefinitely until I spotted a fallen tree, it didn't seem big, so I decided to climb it and look around, hoping I would find something to help me. After climbing the fallen tree, I looked around carefully, but everything looked the same and still very creepy, but I kept hearing things, maybe voices, but I was sure it wasn’t just in my head.

I finally picked it up and it was voices, then after a good listen, ‘Apple Bloom!’ Joy was all over me, relief that help had arrived and I galloped towards her voice.

Her voice became more and more clear, and finally, I knew they were on the other side of a bush, I jumped through it and on the other side, I jumped into a very surprised-looking Apple Bloom.

The tumble must have left Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo stunned as they only helped Apple Bloom and me up.

Star? What in the whole wide world of Equestria are you doing here?” Asked Apple Bloom as she finally stood up.

I was close to tears but managed to get out the words, “Gir-girls, there a monster out here, we- we gotta RUN!

A monster!?” Sweetie Belle asked fear filled her voice.

Wha-what are you talking about Star?” Scootaloo asked, confused but nervous, “What kind of monster?

A cockatrice!” I yelled, tears in my eyes, then quickly covered my mouth, “We gotta go. Now.” The girls didn’t say a word, probably shocked at how afraid I looked, “It- It has Twilight.

WHAT!” All CMC yelled together.

But we still haven’t found Fluttershy’s chicken, it’s in danger as well then.” Apple Bloom said.

But Apple Bloom, if Twilight’s in danger, that mea…..” Her eyes went wide.

A faint rustle came from behind me, I shivered, please say it’s not the cockatrice, but the shadow that swallowed the girls undoubtedly belonged to the monster, I was frozen in place, remembering not to look at its eyes. But the girls didn’t know, so in a split second, with no thought at all I jumped and hit Apple Bloom and Scootaloo and both screamed and ran.

I looked back and Sweetie Belle still stood and stared into its eye, in a split second I thought my best tactic was to run, jump, and ram the cockatrice right in the stomach, as I did I yelled, “Sweetie Belle! Run!!

After I hit the cockatrice I saw in the corner of my eye that Sweetie Belle ran away and joined the others who screamed in terror.

With the girls gone, I felt my hoof was taken by some scales, I tried to make sharp movements, but I was unsuccessful, I couldn’t move, one more look into its bright red eyes and I fell asleep.


A bright light appeared and I fell, “What? What happened?” Then everything rushed back, my eyes went wide and I looked around and called, “Girls!! HALLO!” Then whispered, “Help me.

I tried to stand up but my legs were weak, many rustles in the bushes and very clear voices being from the CMC, Fluttershy, and Twilight, “Star! We’re coming!

Five ponies jumped out from the bushes and Twilight hugged me immediately, “I’m so sorry Star, please,” Twilight choked up, trying to speak, “I’m- I’m so so sorry- Are you okay, does anything hurt?!

My legs hurt a little bit, what about all of you?” I asked, looking at everypony.

We’re fine, thanks to you Star,” The CMC said together.

And you came back for me,” Sweetie Belle added.

It’s what friends do,” I felt my ears lower, “I’m sorry girls, you were right about Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, they only used me to annoy you girls.

Much to my surprise, the CMC hugged me, but as I began to talk, “But you sai-

We shouldn’t have forced you to choose between us or them, you should be able to be friends with all of us,” Scootaloo said, with her ears down.

And we should have been there when you found out that they had lied to you, and not ignored you,” Apple Bloom said, getting teary eyes.

We’re sorry Star, we wanted to tell you earlier, but we didn’t know what to say,” Sweetie Belle ended.

So what we're trying to say,” They said in unison, “We’re sorry.

My eyes were warm, and tears fell as they spoke, and as they ended I know my response, but as bad as my legs hurts I still did a few steps and hugged them all, “All is forgiven girls, can we start over?” I asked.

Of course Star!” The CMC cheered as they hugged me.

Cutie Mark Crusaders have to stick together.” Sweetie Belle said.

Deal,” I said with a smile.

A cluck came and a chicken walked past and layover at Fluttershy’s leg, properly tired, like most of us, but it got me thinking.

What happened?” I asked.

On the walk back to Fluttershy’s cottage, as I rested on Twilight’s back, Fluttershy and my fellow CMC told Twilight and me all about what happened to them, to end up in the forest. From playing monster hunters in the cottage, a minor accident with a table, all the way to bedtime where Sweetie Belle’s singing got the chickens to panic and one to run into the Everfree Forest.

As we came to Fluttershy's familiar cottage Twilight said, “Thank you again Fluttershy, I must come back soon so I can write this down as a letter to the princess.

That’s no problem Twilight,” Fluttershy said.

You can come tomorrow!” Scootaloo said.

For when ya pick up Star,” Apple Bloom said.

I was probably looking very confused, and rightfully so, what were they talking about?

Remember the slumber party Star?” Sweetie Belle asked, “Didn’t we ask you on the way back?

I shook my head.

Oh,” The girls muttered together, “You wanna join?

Fears ran through my head, they would find out, they would find out I need protection, tears fell down I tried to pull my mane in front of my eyes to hide, “I- I can’t..” But I want to, “But I can’t.

But why not?” Sweetie Belle asked, “Is something wrong?

Very quietly I muttered, “You’re gonna laugh at me.

We won’t laugh, we promise,” Scootaloo said.

Can I tell them Star?” Twilight asked as she stroked my mane.

I wanted to say no, but nodded, and froze in fear of what I did, I should do something, but before I reacted the words had left Twilight's mouth. I stared at the girls, waiting for them to laugh.

That's not a thing to make fun of, ever.” Sweetie Belle said, maybe seeing my fearful face she continued, “I’ll wear them too, if it helps.” Her face blushed very redly.

You, you will?” I sniffed, and she nodded a bit sheepish, I then looked up at Twilight, “Can I stay?

Twilight nodded, and with Fluttershy having some spare in storage, Twilight didn’t need to go for a midnight run back to the cottage, so after a careful look over at me she gave the nod of approval, as long as I was being careful, I promised and very soon Twilight headed back to the library after I got a kiss goodnight.

While I was checked over the girls went upstairs, to prepare for bed, after I got my protection on, which had more foalish prints on, I went upstairs where it would then be Sweetie Belles's turn, but as I entered Fluttershy’s bedroom the light was off.

Sweetie Belle then whispered, “I’ll be out in a second Fluttershy, but first some secret CMC meeting.

Alright, two minutes,” Fluttershy said.

The door closed and was then turned on as the girls brought a cape with a prancing pony on, and as it was tied around me Apple Bloom said, “As a fellow Cutie Mark Crusader, ya need to wear what we do, so we give you the CMC Cape of Justice-

That’s not the name we agreed on,” Sweetie Belle said.

CMC Cape of Smiles was a bit off-brand,” Scootaloo said.

Well, then I decide that we should have a revote, only one vote each.” Sweetie Belle said.

Apple Bloom then said, “Alright, all those in favor of Justice, raise your hoof.” Scootaloo and Apple Bloom raised their hoof, “And those in favor of Smiles raise your hoof.” Sweetie Belle raised her hoof.

Smiling towards me before she notice I hadn’t raised my hoof, and asked “Wait, what are you voting for Star?

Would it not be for the best if we all agree? So all are happy.” I asked as I did have one in mind.

All nodded, but no one had more ideas.

I might have an idea,” I said, all eyes were on me, “The CMC capes of Harmony.” From those elements of harmony that made me.

A second of thinking turned into big smiles and cheering for all the girls.

Apple Bloom cleared her throat, “Ahem, now where was I, right. We hereby give you the CMC cape of Harmony.

I pranced in joy and noticed the golden silk under the cape, “uhhh.

Come now Sweetie Belle, it’s time for bed,” Fluttershy called.

The rest of us went to the bed and Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were on the edges with Sweetie Belle and I would be in the middle.

Soon Sweetie Belle was back and I had to take off my cape so I wouldn’t get hurt, and as Fluttershy began to sing I fell asleep after a very long day.

Author's Note:

It's been a while, but I hope you liked it, my life is a bit busy, so I don't have much time to write, so I might have some errors in the chapter, so let me know :twilightsheepish::yay:

Thanks to MidnightTwinkle for helping me to edit

PreviousChapters Next