• Published 25th Jul 2020
  • 9,309 Views, 548 Comments

Afterlife - Star Sparkle



The story of Stef the human's journey of discovery and self discovery, and of the unlikely bond that forms between him and Twilight.

  • ...
36
 548
 9,309

PreviousChapters Next
Hidden Friends:

Author's Note:

Viewer discretion is advised.

This chapter there is descriptions of when I had suicidal thoughts.

I only write out off my own experience and no one else.

If you suffer yourself I will advice you to seek propper help as this is not a story to help anyone. Only to be a story.

Viewer discretion has been advised.

The bell rang, and I closed the boring math book, but before the ponies were on their way out, Ms. Cherrilee announced, ‘’Alright everypony, time for recess. If you aren’t done with your problems, that’s your homework for tomorrow. Star, will you stay for a moment?‘’

‘’Yes Ms. Cherrilee.‘’ I answered like I had been going to this school for longer than I had ‘weird.

As the classroom emptied, Ms. Cherrilee walked over to me and said, ‘’I’m very impressed by your knowledge in math. Have you done any preparations?‘’

‘’No, not really. I just knew the answers.‘’

‘’Alright then, maybe you’ll then get your Cutie Mark soon. However, did you find something in the book you didn’t know about?‘’

‘’I know about all the concepts that are talked about in the book.‘’

‘’Well, then I’ll have to find something a bit more challenging for you. But I’ll let you get to recess now.‘’

‘’Thanks Ms. Cherrilee,‘’ I said as I trotted out of the classroom and out onto the playground.

As I looked around, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo were over at the three swings. There was also a thing that spun around itself, a big sandbox and all around the playground there were many balls and other fun stuff, it all got to me somehow, it just looked so much fun and without a care in the world.

Sweetie Belle saw me and waved her hoof in the air as she called, ‘’Star, over here!‘’ I could help but smile, no one had ever called for me to hang out with them, but that was definitely changed.

As I trotted over to them, I spotted as Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon hid behind a wall so the girls couldn’t see them, but I could see all ‘This is going to be fun.

As I came over at the swings, Diamond Tiara nodded as Sweetie Belle asked, ‘’If you wanna go first, then I’ll push you?‘’

I tried to stop my massive grin, but my poker face was a smiley face ‘’Well, I was wondering if two of my other friends could join?‘’

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo heard as Apple Bloom asked, ‘’What other friends? I thought you said you didn’t know anypony else.‘’

‘’Well… I met these two the day I went to Canterlot.‘’ I said as Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon came out from their hiding spot, and the expressions on Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo’s faces were priceless, so much that I couldn’t hold back my laughter and I fell on the grass and belly laughed.

As I had to breathe, I stopped my belly laugh, got up, and wiped my tears away, but as I looked at Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, they still had their wide eyes and open mouths.

Apple Bloom stuttered as she asked, ‘’You, you’re frie, friends with, with them?‘’

‘’Hehe, yeah, why so surprised?‘’

‘’It’s Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.‘’

‘’I know, have they done something wrong?‘’ I asked; their faces were not that of shock and joy, but still shock and surprise.

As more pieces fell into the puzzle, Apple Bloom asked, ‘’How? Why?‘’

Before Scootaloo almost yelled, ‘’They’re bullies!‘’

‘’Bullies?‘’ I asked in utter confusion; I looked at Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon; they looked like they were going to cry, ‘’Hey, it’s okay Di, Silver, you’re fine, okay?‘’ I looked back at the three fillies and asked, ‘’How are they bullies?‘’

‘’They call everypony with no Cutie Mark, blank flanks.‘’ Sweetie Belle said.

‘’Okay, what’s a blank flank?‘’ I asked.

‘’A pony without a Cutie Mark.‘’

‘’Oh… And that’s a bad thing to say?‘’

‘’YES!!!‘’ They all yelled in unison.

I looked back at Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon and asked, ‘’Have you called them blank flanks?‘’

‘’Yes.‘’ Diamond Tiara said, ‘’But we only did it because we thought, they thought it was fun.‘’ Her voice cracked, ‘’But we would… We would never have called them that if they got hurt by it.‘’

‘’Give me a break!!‘’ Apple Bloom shouted, ‘’You knew what you did, you two knew we hated it! Star, don’t tell me that you actually believe what they’re saying.‘’

‘’Well…‘’ I couldn’t feel that Diamond or Silver made it up and felt with them and said, ‘’Have you never been in a conversation where you thought you were doing a good thing, but the other part saw it as a bad thing, maybe even a thing that had hurt that side.‘’

‘’But Star, they’re lying! And they’re faking their tears.‘’ Apple Bloom said, I felt I was pulled towards two different sides, the CMC and Diamond & Silver.

Before I could make a decision, the bell rang, and as ponies walked back inside, all but the six ponies of us before I said, ‘’I’ll figure this out until next recess.‘’ They then walked back to class.

I stayed as I had to find out what the truth was, but even as the thought came to my head, I couldn’t believe that Diamond and Silver could ever manipulate me, they’re ten, but as I looked towards Ponyville, I just wanted to go back to Twilight and not deal with this.

Ms. Cherrilee’s voice called ‘’Star!‘’ I turned around and saw Ms. Cherrilee as she stood in the doorway to the schoolhouse and waited, ‘’When the bell rings, that means that you have to get back inside.‘’

I ran to her and apologized, ’Sorry, Ms. Cherrilee.‘’

‘’Back to your seat, and if it happens again, I’ll have to inform Twilight.‘’ Ms. Cherrilee said; I lowered my head and walked back into class.

As I walked back to my desk, I really came to appreciate that Twilight had treated me like a filly for so long, or else I would definitely have snapped back at Ms. Cherrilee for treating me like this.

When I sat at my desk, I took out the next book, and we had to read a shared story; Scootaloo started where they left off, next was Twist, and so on until it was my turn. As I read, I was faster and better at pronouncing words that many of the others had stopped at.

When I was done, Ms. Cherrilee cheerfully said, ‘’Well done Star. Sweetie Belle, your turn.‘’

I had to figure out what I have to do, should I just believe the CMC, I mean, that is what Twilight’s friendship letter said, but maybe I should still use skepticism, ‘Too many questions, I just want to go home and use my magic.

After everyone had read, Ms. Cherrilee said, ‘’Well done everypony, there is definitely progress in all of your readings, so until lunch, I want you to take your own book and continue to read. And I want no chit-chat.‘’

As everyone else began to read, I realized that I had nothing to read, but not before long, Ms. Cherrilee came to me with a selection of books and whispered, ‘’So since your doing so well in your reading, I believe these three books are at a good level for you.‘’ As she showed me the three books on the top of the little bookcase on wheels, one I recognized was the first Daring Do book, I pointed at that one, and Ms. Cherrilee gave it to me.

As I read the title, a chuckle escaped my throat, ‘Should I start over with this book?’ but as I thought more about it, ‘What happened between the girls could have been a misunderstanding, but if they’re willing to go past it and try again, that could work.’ I found the page I was at the last time and continued to read, as now I knew how to deal with this.

Many pages and looks outside the bell finally rang, so I closed my book and took my lunch, opened it and saw an apple, a sandwich, a box of juice and three strawberries ‘I love those two’ As I took my lunch bag up on my desk Ms. Cherrilee said, ‘’Alright my little ponies, lunchtime! Remember to go back to class after the bell rings.‘’

I took my lunch out of my saddleback with my teeth and walked outside with the rest of the students. I was nervous about how the three fillies would react to my suggestion, I knew it could be impossible to forgive one who has bullied you, but this just felt different; I was sure it was just a misunderstanding.

Outside I walked with Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo over to an empty bench, and I sat in the middle with the three fillies on my left, but Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon weren’t outside yet.

I took the opportunity and looked through my lunch and saw an apple, a few strawberries, a juice box that I had no idea how to open, and a sandwich, with a little note attached. I placed the food on the table and asked, ‘’Apple Bloom?‘’

‘’Huh? What’s up?‘’ She asked cheerfully.

‘’Will you open my juice box?‘’ I whispered.

‘’Sure, that‘s what friends are for.‘’ Apple Bloom said I gave her my juice box, and after a second, it was open, and I got it back, ‘’Here ya go Star.‘’

‘’Thanks,‘’ I said, and after a quick taste, it was delicious before I looked at the note on the sandwich. ‘Promise you’ll try one bite. Love Twilight. BPBSF.’ ‘BPBSF? What’s that?’ I thought, but decided that I would just ask Twilight later.

I opened the sandwich, white bread, and saw no filling; I took a bite, which was the most delicious sandwich I had tasted in my life.
It wasn’t like hay that reminded me of meat; the texture was similar, but still unlike what I tried before. It was simply a new taste. I had to know what I ate and opened the sandwich.
Inside the sandwich, there were white flowers with green grass looking stuff.

Whatever it was, it was delicious, and I closed the sandwich again and took another bite as I saw Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon as they walked outside.

I waved for them; they saw me as I heard low groans from the three fillies, noises that made me even less secure about my plan.

As Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon sat at the bench, a cold, uncomfortable air and atmosphere surrounded us, and it felt like everypony at the table hated me. Still, I had to try; else I could maybe get Twilight to homeschool me, or just skip school and take the punishment.

As I finished with my sandwich, I wanted to destroy the silence and said ‘’Sooooo…‘’ But my mind went blank.

‘’So.‘’ Sweetie Belle said.

‘’Star?‘’ Diamond Tiara said, ‘’You said you would figure out what to do last recess.‘’

‘’Oh, right.‘’ I said and thought back on my idea a bit before I said, ‘’I think that from what I’ve been told, that a misunderstanding could still have taken place-‘’

‘’Yeah, right…‘’ Scootaloo said with a low voice, properly hoped I wouldn’t hear.

‘’That wasn’t nice Scootaloo,‘’ Silver Spoon said with a low voice, ‘’I think Star is correct.‘’

‘’Thank you, Silver,‘’ I said with a smile.

Scootaloo knew she was heard as she said, ‘’No, sorry Star, ugh, it’s just, it’s Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, so forgive me if I have difficulty believing anything they say.‘’

Scootaloo didn’t know it, but as she said it, it hit me as well. I had too many times either lost friends or was close to losing friends because I couldn’t understand what they meant, and a small tear fell out of my eye, and I quickly removed it.

I cleared my throat, and nopony noticed that I had shed a tear, which was for the best, ‘’Anyway, I was thinking that if Diamond and Silver apologized, could we maybe get a fresh start.‘’ I looked at Diamond and Silver; they nodded, ‘’And promise not to call any others blank flanks.‘’

‘’We promise.‘’ Diamond Tiara started.

‘’Never again.‘’ Silver spoon ended.

I nodded and smiled before I looked back at the three other fillies who didn’t look as interested, ‘’Apple Bloom?‘’ I asked.

She looked at me, and in her eyes, I saw that her mind properly raced a hundred kilometers an hour; she looked at me, behind me to Diamond and Silver, then towards Sweetie Belle and an even less interested Scootaloo.

‘’Hang on Star.‘’ Apple Bloom said, ‘’Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, quick meeting.‘’

They got down from the bench and got their heads together and whispered so low that I only made out my own name in all the whispers.
I looked back at Diamond and Silver, who had already eaten their lunch and, like me, waited patiently for the three fillies’ response.

As we waited, I remembered back to this morning. If Twilight had discovered what happened, she would likely put me in diapers, which I couldn’t even blame her for; I guessed it would make sense for her to do so, if I wanted to or not, or maybe she’ll even ground me for hiding it from her. If the three fillies decided not to forgive Diamond and Silver, this day would be the absolute worst day ever, and I felt it would all be because of me. I lied to Twilight, and I involved myself in something that I had no right to involve myself in.

All around us, the other ponies had finished their lunches and slowly began to play again.

As the three fillies had finished their whispering, they turned around, and Scootaloo started, ‘’Well, I still don’t really trust them.‘’

‘’But,‘’ Sweetie Belle said, ‘’if they really are sorry, I can try and forgive them.‘’

‘’But only if it’s a real apology.‘’ Apple Bloom finished.

I couldn’t stop my smile as I finally relaxed a bit; it went good so far; I turned to Diamond and Silver, they nodded and got down from the bench and walked over to the three fillies.

At the end of the bench, the five fillies stood, and Diamond started ‘’I’m sorry for calling you blank flanks.‘’

‘’But from today,‘’ Silver Spoon continued, ‘’We promise we won’t ever call you that again.‘’

Both Diamond and Silver reached their hooves out as they sincerely asked ‘’Friends?‘’

The three fillies looked at each other, before they looked back at Diamond and Silver and reached their hooves out and I guess hoof bumped each other as they said ‘’Friends.‘’

I smiled as I ate my last strawberry, which was also the last bit of my lunch, and as all of us were now finished, I said, ‘’Now, since the past is behind us, should we play a game?‘’ I looked around, and the four swings were available.

The five fillies agreed, and after we had cleaned up, we went to the swings.

Over at the swings, Sweetie Belle said, ‘’Hop on Star.‘’

I nodded, and after Apple Bloom sat on her swing, I saw that she sat as a human would; it caused me to tilt my head in confusion, but I got up on the swing and sat like Apple Bloom, it felt odd, but not uncomfortable, and I wrapped my legs around the strings, and a pair of hooves pushed me.

At that moment, I realized that it had been, maybe, seven to ten years since I was last on a swing and even longer since I was pushed on one.

The joy from those days, the carefree world view I had, it all came back in a rush, and I laughed as I swung higher and higher, and when I hit zero gravity, I fell back down and left my laughter high in the air.

Some time must have passed as when I heard, through my laugher, the school bell rang, and as I looked to the ground, I swung down, and as I was around the ground and should have gone up again, instead I felt two hooves on my back which held me and the swing lost its momentum, and when I was back at the ground, it stopped, and I got off.

‘’Was it fun?‘’ Sweetie Belle asked with a giggle.

I giggled a bit before I said, ‘’Yeah, I’ve never tried it before, thanks.‘’

‘’You’re welcome,‘’ She said before she said with a high-class voice, much like Rarity’s, ‘’It was my pleasure to give you your first go on the swings.‘’ Before she laughed and I joined her, and together with the other fillies and students, we walked back to class and our next lesson

The next lesson was writing and after Ms. Cherrilee had written a few words on the board, of which we had to write something about and tomorrow we had to read it to the class.

But as I had no idea how to write, Ms. Cherrilee came down to my desk with a piece of paper. She said, ‘’So since you’re unfamiliar with how to write, I want you to train your writing,‘’ the paper she lay on my desk was a linear paper with the letter ‘A a’ on the top line and next was ‘B b’ and so on, Ms. Cherrilee then continued with a smile, ‘’Fill out the paper and just do your best.‘’

I nodded and took my pencil with my mouth, and as I put it on the paper, I quickly broke the tip, ‘Okay… I’m not writing with a pencil,’ I looked back into my saddleback and took out the blue crayon and wondered what it would taste like and picked it up with my mouth with zero taste, ‘Maybe later it will taste like something.

I looked around with the crayon in my mouth and saw that the other ponies were in full progress of writing with a pencil; I was definitely behind the young ponies on that front.

I lowered the crayon to the paper, and as I was about to write an ‘A’ bottom to top, I placed the crayon down, pushed my head forward, and made a fine line that went onto the table itself. As I hit the edge of the table with my chest, I released a big chunk of air and dropped the crayon, and it fell to the floor.

As I couldn’t get my crayon from the floor and I had drawn on my desk, I raised my hoof and tried to lock eyes with Ms. Cherrilee, who sat at her desk, she saw me, and as she walked over, I hid the line on the table with my paper.

‘’Are you having any difficulty?‘’ Ms. Cherrilee asked.

‘’Yes, Ms. Cherrilee, I um…‘’ I removed the paper, ‘’I lost the crayon on the floor as well.‘’

Ms. Cherrilee looked at my desk, smiled, placed my crayon back onto my desk, and said, ‘’Hang on Star.‘’ Before Ms.Cherriee walked back to her desk.

She got a piece of cloth out and went to a little fountain, turned the water on and off before she walked back to me and cleaned my desk as she said, ‘’I think you’ll need to get something a bit more simple.‘’ I nodded, and Ms. Cherrilee walked back to her desk and came back with another piece of paper, this one with symbols, and said, ‘’Let’s try this on, but this time just focus on the motion and later we can apply pressure, okay?‘’

‘’Yes, Ms. Cheerilee,‘’ I said and tried once again, but this time I didn’t drop the crayon of zero taste, which was weird but perfect; I drew a single line at the time, over and over again and with next to zero pressure it hardly showed on the page.

After a while, the repetitiveness of my assignment forced my mind to detach. I thought about how my time in Equestria had been, the body I now had, I was a filly, but it also meant I was a girl, which I had wished for my entire life, but I knew I would never have it as I wanted it back in my world, I could never have been born as a girl. I could never have lived the life I wanted to, and I never enjoyed my childhood.

As I thought back on my childhood, I realized that I had spent most if not all of it watching TV, not gaining a single thing I could say I was good at, not even reading; I only wanted to see TV and eat cake, because when I would be an adult, I would figure everything out.

Maybe I just liked this childhood because I had friends before the age of sixteen and only kept in contact with a few to one or two until I went away to Equestria, where the most powerful magic is friendship.

I would’ve figured everything out when I became an adult, and how wrong I was; I should have realized that I was unprepared for what the adult life would throw at me, that I was so helpless that I leaned on my parents to help me. To only realize that I felt I was alone and wanted everything to end, because who would even miss me.

I knew it was terrible thoughts that only pulled me away from everything I loved, my family, the few friends I had, and even the very small things like the times I played Star Wars Battlefront 2 on my playstation2 with my brother and, of course, the most significant reason…

My mind went blank; I hadn’t realized it before now, I couldn’t remember why I chose not to end my life before, my mind drew a complete blank on whatever it was related to, I knew that it was important and thought ‘I really need to tell Twilight or Princess Celestia about this when I see them.

As I came more back to reality, I realized that I’d made a deep dark blue on the paper just above a small puddle of water, and I immediately felt it was tears that had run down my face. I dropped the crayon and whipped my tears away.
After I had wiped my tears away, I stealthily looked around and saw that everyone else still wrote, and Ms. Cherrilee read a book.

I needed to get to the bathroom, and as the juice box wanted out again, I raised my hoof and asked ‘’Ms. Cheerilee?‘’

Ms. Cheerilee looked at me and walked over to me. Quickly I hid the tear puddle, and as she stood next to me, I asked in a whisper, ‘’Can I use the bathroom?‘’

‘’Of course, it’s just over next to the door.‘’ Ms. Cherrilee said.

I smiled and saw that next to the door to the outside; there was a wooden door that looked almost invisible unless you knew it was there ‘Weird design.’ I thought.

I got up and walked to the door, opened it and as I walked through it, I entered a small hall; I closed the door behind me and saw to my left was two doors, the one on the right said ‘FILLY’ while the one on the left said ‘COLT’ and I went into the filly’s room.

Inside the bathroom, it looked much like the bathroom back at the golden oak.

After I had done my business, I washed my hooves and as I was done I looked myself in the mirror, the pink mane with the blue stripe that almost matched my eye color, an eye color I always wanted.
I smiled as I actually really liked how I looked, much more than ever before.
As I saw the pink filly who smiled back at me, I missed my home as I was finally in the works of getting my life in order, even after I felt like I had failed.

But now I felt like I wanted to say that I liked being a filly, I loved the attention Twilight gave me, even if had she treated me like a filly, sometimes like a foal, but I didn’t care. I liked being taken care of, and as far as I knew, my world was on pause. Even if I could go home tomorrow or in a year or even ten years, it wouldn’t matter, it would only have been a second in my world, ‘Like The Wizard of Oz’ this was just my hero’s journey or some crazy thing like that, ‘Is this world even real? Was my human world real? Who knows, and I don’t care; it’s real to me and everyone in this world. I might as well have a fun time while I’m here. Maybe I could even get a pajamas that cover my hooves, because why not? I don’t want to waste my time here; I’m the first human to learn magic, to be a pony with a tail, and as a bonus, I’m the gender I should have been born like. So I might as well get the full experience.

I broke my thoughts as I stared into the sink, ‘I should properly head back to class.’ Before I went away from the mirror, I looked at my reflection, smiled, and said ‘’I,‘’ a few tears of pure joy fell, ‘’I love being a filly.‘’

Once again, I reached for the towel, dried my eyes and walked back into class, onto my seat, and continued my exercise for the rest of the school day, which I loved being only six hours long.

PreviousChapters Next