• Published 25th Jul 2020
  • 9,318 Views, 548 Comments

Afterlife - Star Sparkle



The story of Stef the human's journey of discovery and self discovery, and of the unlikely bond that forms between him and Twilight.

  • ...
36
 548
 9,318

PreviousChapters Next
Toy store

Alright Star, did Princess Celestia give you any advice on what to do in the toy store?” Twilight asked as we gently walked through the town of Ponyville, heading to the toy store.

Umm… Advice? Nope, I wrote to her last night and forgot to check before we left for Zecora.” I said, blushing for being forgetful, “Sorry Twily.

Hey, it’s okay Star, we'll head back to the library to check, but let’s get you those strawberries first, like I promised you yesterday.” Twilight chipped in, truly cheering me up as I smiled as much I could, in response Twilight only giggle before she said, “I bet one of the sales ponies might have some, let’s go.” I happily followed.


Shortly after we arrived at a row of small stands, with Pinkie Pie jumping around she was easy to recognize and she was the only pony I know, that I knew, of what I could see.

Pinkie spotted us and jumped over and asked, “Twilight, Star, what are my favorite Sparkles looking for?

Strawberries!” I cheered as a jumped on my rear hooves and landed again.

Hmm…” Pinkie thought hard as she rubbed her chin with her hoof, but just a short few second later she jumped up, “Strawberries! Of course, how could I not-, come on!” She grabbed us and before I knew it, we stood in front of a shop with a yellow pegasus mare with a puffy red mane and tail and plenty of strawberries.

Even as drool went down my chin, I didn’t care, I smelled them and they smelled delicious, “Hehe, looks like somepony like strawberries? Don’t you my little pony?” The mare asked.

I looked up at the mare and nodded eagerly, mouth wide open.

Tell you what little filly, why don’t you have a little taste?” The mare asked with a smile and gave me a strawberry, “Now remember to eat slowly and enjoy the flavor.

I gently took it and as instructed I ate half the strawberry and fell on the ground, each chew was so delicious, better than my body could handle, so I took the rest in my mouth, chewed, and smiled up at the mare, “T’ank ú miss!

Star, don’t talk with your mouth full.” Twilight reminded.

I swallowed and repeated, “Thank you miss, it was very very very very good!! Best food ever.” I felt as if my tail was wiggling behind me.

The mare blushed, and smiled as she said, “Aww thanks little filly, but where are my manners? Name is Strawberry Sunrise, what’s your name?

It’s nice to meet you and your strawberries. I’m Star Sparkle, Twilight’s little sister.” I responded before then turning my attention towards Twilight, “Please, can we buy many?” I asked, sitting on the ground with my front hooves gently on her chest, giving her my best puppy eyes.

Aww…” Twilight and most likely Miss. Strawberry said.

Of course we can Star.” Twilight said, I hugged her as she padded my back, “Fillies,” she giggled before she spoke, “How long can they last, and what’s the best way to store them?

Just like any other fruit, keep away from pests, no direct sunlight, a closed cupboard will do and on the third day they begin to go bad.” The best mare said.

I’ll have one pack of 15 strawberries, that should be enough.” Twilight said, and after a bit of chit chat of payment, I was standing next to Twilight and watched as Miss Strawberry packed 15 delicious, great looking, delicious strawberries, Twilight asked, “Anything you want to say Star?

I nodded and looked at Miss Strawberry and said with a huge smile “Thank you so much again and thank you for these very delicious strawberries.

You’re most welcome, and tell you what, if my stand isn’t open just come by my house, it’s the house on the south side of Ponyville with a strawberry on the door, you can’t miss it.” Miss Strawberry said, “But only because you’re the first pony to fall heads over hooves, by my strawberries.

Strawberry on the door, deal, thank you, Miss. Have a nice day.” I answered surprised, but with a smile as Twilight and I began to walk home.

Strawberry Sunrise smiled and waved back, “You too Star.


On the way home I was told that apparently, Pinkie Pie had to leave while I stood in awe of the strawberries, so I definitely had to apologize to her the next time I see her if only I remember. But finally, we arrived back home I ran to my room, a strawberry in my mouth, to check my book, pulled it out, and turned to the final page that was written on, and there it was.

‘Dearest Star Sparkle
Thank you for writing to me about these events, as the more I learn the better I can understand and help. For what happened, I am not sure why, but the best thing is that you are okay.

Are you doing magic at these times? Are you fully there in your mind and able to control, even if you choose toys? Or do you just have memories of the event afterward?

For this next visit try to have something to keep your focus on and only slowly take your focus on the toys. As our primary goal is to make sure you always have full control of your body and mind.

I can’t say how long it will take, but I promise you, I will do all I can to get you home, to the time before you got sent here.

Yours Princess Celestia’

As I was done reading Twilight came in and we locked eyes, “What did she say?” Twilight asked.

She can’t be sure why it happens, but to have something to focus on while we’re there and slowly learn to control my focus, if only for a little bit as it’s important to let me keep my mind, but we better go before they close.” I answered back, purposefully not mentioning the part of her promise, as it was Celestia’s promise to me and it wasn’t important for now.

Twilight nodded and levitated Flurry over in a saddlebag, then paced the saddleback on herself, “Just in case, and don’t worry, I’ll take care of her.” Twilight smiled, I trusted her, then off we went again.


Soon enough we stood in front of the toy store, my heart was racing, what if I forget everything today? Is a toy worth it, no, but yes, no, and a little bit, everything became blurry and I felt sick, like I was about to throw up.

Feeling my hooves planted into the ground, a muffled noise came and I looked around. Right, left, right, left, right, left, and there she was, Flurry! I hugged her as hard as I could. With a new soft embrace around me, I felt more calm and slowly I looked to find myself staring into Twilight’s chest as she rubbed my back.

I nuzzled into her fur and as I did Twilight asked, “You wanna go home again? We can do this another day.

No, I wanted this, maybe if I could just have something that we decide now, then that could be the focus. “Umm… I’m okay, but what if we said I could have a strawberry plushie, if I behave, for my focus part?” I asked.

Of course, but if they don’t have it, then I’ll go into the parent role to promise it another time, deal?” Twilight asked, I nodded in response and we walked out from where Twilight had hidden us.


We walked to the entrance and the joy and excitement flooded me again, I giggled.
As I giggled in joy a hoof came to my chest and I looked up at my big sis, “Remember Star, behave and walk next to me, and then you can have a strawberry plushie, alright?

I closed my eyes and to a deep breath, exhaled, and looked up at her, “I’m here,” but I still felt the excitement to look around, “I’ll stay with you Twily.” Twilight nodded and she walked inside, I followed.

We walked randomly around the inside of the store for a good few minutes, only a few times stepping away from Twilight, but returned when she called. Even though I didn’t like to follow her like a little filly, it was easier to stay in complete control, but the joy of toys still rushed at me, but the thought of a strawberry plushie held me.

Soon Twilight stopped and said “Star, try to go in this hallway,” She pointed her hoof through the hall of the dress I made a mess of last time, I looked at her, was she serious? “It’s okay Star, I’ll be right behind you, it’s also okay if you don’t want to walk in front.

Chills went down my spine, as an invisible and untouchable wind guided me down the hall, highlighting dresses that would match Flurry perfectly, I swallowed, looked at Twilight, and ran to her, held her, “No! Please, I wanna stay with you, I’m- I’m not ready.” I feared whatever this was and just held Twilight tight.

She shushed me and rubbed my back, “It’s okay Star, let's get you, your plushie, and go home, okay?” While in her chest I nodded, and slowly but surely, I stood next to her as we walked to the plushies, there she sat and said “Just find one you like, okay?

I nodded and walked to the display, they had many fruits, desserts and even a potato plush was there, some with a face, others without.
Soon I found a strawberry, but it was high up, I go on my rear legs and tried to grab it, but still too far. I looked back at Twilight, she looked at me curiously. I looked back up at the plushie, thinking to jump, but I took a deep breath and looked back at Twilight, “Twilight, can I have that strawberry plushie?” I asked, pointing my hoof at the plush, Twilight nodded and as her horn glowed I looked up and the same glow engulfed the plush and it was brought down to me.

A smile of joy filled my face and I hugged the strawberry plushie, looking over at Twily, she smiled warmly at me, but soon a tear formed, so with the plush I walked over to her, “What’s wrong Twily.

Maybe not realizing I saw, she wiped her eyes and coughed, “No- nothing sweetie, I’ll tell you at home, let’s pay for your plushie first.” I nodded, but I wonder what made her cry.


It wasn’t long till we arrived home, with a raincoat for me as tomorrow they promised rain. As we arrived inside I looked back out and towards the sky as the pegasi began to make the skies for rain, so I walked inside and closed the door.

I went upstairs where Twilight was about to lie down, but I said, “I’ll take these two into my bedroom, so they can get to know each other, then you made a deal.

Twilight sighed but nodded.

When I came back out Twilight sat on a cushion and waved me over, to the cushion next to her and she began, “I promised to tell you what happened to me at the toy store,” Twilight paused, “I know it seems weird, but at some point, the princess will have the spell ready, and you’ll be able to go home, but when I saw you in the toy store, I saw that-” she trailed off, “I saw that I would really miss you.” Her throat sounded like she could cry, and some tears fell.

Not knowing what to do, as I didn’t have any water, I walked over to her and hugged her, “I will miss you too, but according to the princess, it might take a long time.

But your friends, family, they, they-” Twilight stuttered through the sobs.

I couldn’t tell her my lack of friends, that I now have more friends than I’ve ever had in my life combined, then a goodbye could only be harder for her then, knowing I didn’t really have friends at home, at least I still had my family left waiting for me. But then I realized, “It’s okay Twilight, Celestia will make it so I go back around two hours before I was transported here, my family or friends wouldn’t know the difference.

A few hard-to-sniffle noses, Twilight said, “I- That perfect, like you never left.” But while she said ‘perfect’ nothing in her voice sounded perfect, only sad.

But guess what?” I said, she looked at me, “Even though I will go someday, that could be in a month, six months, or maybe even a year, or more, I don’t mind, because I can be here with you, and Spike of course. And all my other friends. It will be sad to leave, but until then, it’s just about having fun. Right?” I looked up at her, no sniffles, only teary eyes.

I smiled up at her wanting a nuzzle, she bent down and nuzzled me as she said, “Then let’s make it worthwhile, maybe from what you learn here you can take back with you.” Maybe I could, but that could wait, I’m finally a girl, I got a second go at childhood, everything is perfect, it's just not my world, and if I stay my family have truly lost me, but that is for another day.

After a bit of relaxing, Spike had joined us as we wrote to Princess Celestia about what happened today. Dinner came and went, all while the night grew closer, and after another strawberry, rain slowly began to fall, and bedtime came.

Twilight? Can I sleep with you tonight?” I asked.

Of curse Star, are your two friends gonna join us?” Twilight asked with a small giggle, but I was way ahead of her and lay the two on her bed.

Then after I hang the CMC cape in my bedroom and after the teeth brushing we all went to bed, hugging my plushies, and Twily hugging me, Spike snoring, I knew that was ready for a new week to come tomorrow, and back to school.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading, and do let me know what you think in the comments, as I would like to get better at writing :twilightblush:

In the beginning, these two chapters would have been one, but inspiration just hit me and I hope you enjoyed this day in Equestria.

Thanks again everypony :twilightsmile:

Thank you to Luckyfanisaac for spell checking

PreviousChapters Next