• Published 14th Jan 2020
  • 5,175 Views, 1,274 Comments

Twilight Tries... - Peni Parker



There are many things Twilight Sparkle has never tried, but she's going to try some of them with you in her new vlog!

  • ...
15
 1,274
 5,175

PreviousChapters Next
Summoning Cthulhu

Hi, everypony, and welcome to another episode of Twilight Tries!

Now before I get started with today’s episode, I want to clarify that it’s going to be a tad different than what most of you are used to seeing on this vlog. I will of course still be trying something that I’ve never tried before, as is the whole point of this vlog, but in addition to that part of the purpose of this particular episode is to serve as a public service announcement to the ponies of Equestria…and any other creatures from other lands that may be watching.

Last I checked this vlog seems to be gaining quite a following in the Changeling Kingdom.

So as you’ve most likely heard, there’s an old urban legend that’s been floating around as of late about a book called the Necronomicon. The legend goes that the Necronomicon contains many dark and ancient spells that can do things like raise an army of darkness or summon an archaic deity. The most notable of these deities being a Great Old One named Cthulhu, who is more-or-less the cause of this legend’s revival.

That’s why in today’s episode I’m going to try…summoning Cthulhu!

Why is it I’m going to try and summon Cthulhu, you may ask? Well like I said, it’s to provide a very important public service announcement to everypony. And that PSA is:

THIS KIND OF STUFF IS NOTHING BUT HOKUM!

That’s right, much like sewer alligators or Slender Pony it’s all complete nonsense. However, there are apparently some ponies who don’t realize that it’s nonsense and are messing around with magic they don’t fully understand in an attempt to try and summon Cthulhu. Who, I might add, is simply a character of fiction created by author H.P. Lovecraft.

Now don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a good urban legend as much as the next pony. They can be fun and amusing stories. But when an urban legend, like this one, gets to the point where ponies start taking it a little too seriously and put themselves in potential danger to try and prove it, well, I feel that it’s my duty as a Princess of Equestria to help set the record straight.

I realize, of course, that there are those who won’t simply take my word for it, which is why I’m doing this episode today; to show you that the Necronomicon and Cthulhu are just an urban legend and nothing more.

How am I going to do this? Simple; with the help of my friends!

According to the so-called ‘Necronomicon’ that I found when looking up this urban legend…

Now where did I leave that copy?

.

Ah, here it is.

According to this the ritual requires three participants. So to help me perform it I asked two of my friends for assistance. If you’ll look over here you’ll see my number one assistant, Spike!

Say hi, Spike.

.

.

Yes, Spike, the robes are necessary for the ritual.

.

.

Well this shouldn’t take long so just bear with it for a bit longer.

And over here you’ll see my friend, Fluttershy!

.

Uh, Spike, where’s Fluttershy?

.

.

Behind the couch, huh?

Fluttershy, we talked about this. Everything’s going to be fine.

.

.

I assure you nothing is going to happen. I’ve studied magic my whole life and I can tell you with certainty that this whole Necronomicon and Cthulhu thing is hokum, plain and simple.

.

.

No, Fluttershy, we won’t be sacrificing any animals for this ritual. If that was something the ritual called for I wouldn’t even entertain the idea of performing it.

All we’ll be doing is chanting some supposedly magic words while I cast a spell.

Now can you please come out from behind the couch?

.

*SIGH*

I really wish one of my other friends had been available to help with this. I love Fluttershy but she just gets spooked so easily that she was the last pony I wanted to ask for help. Frankly though, I’m surprised she even agreed to help. As you can imagine she was hesitant at first, but when I told her it was for the purpose of providing an important PSA to everypony she immediately said that she’d help.

There’s a lot to admire about Fluttershy, but if nothing else you can’t help but admire her desire to help others. Even if she’s feeling afraid.

.

Okay, now we just need to stand around this, ahem…‘ritualistic circle’ that I’ve drawn over here, light a few candles, and we can begin.

.

.

*SIGH*

For the last time, Spike, we’re doing this to prove that all of this is hokum so that ponies don’t try doing it themselves and get hurt.

.

.

Yes, I know most ponies aren’t as magically gifted as I am and wouldn’t be able to perform this spell, but there’s danger in all of this from a non-magical standpoint too. This kind of occult stuff can lead to other harmful things like doing drugs or joining a gang.

At least that’s what my mom always told me.

Now please, just take your spot between those two candles so we can get this over with.

.

Alright, we’re all in position.

Let me just light the candles, and…

.

There.

Now, as I’m performing the spell we all need to chant the words that I’ve written down on the pieces of paper I gave each of you earlier.

.

.

Well they’re not actually words, Fluttershy. Or at least not words that are comprehensible to us, as the legend goes.

.

.

I believe the pronunciation is; Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

You get that?

.

.

Well you should be fine no matter how you pronounce them. According to the legend there’s really no wrong way to pronounce the words because there’s no correct way to pronounce them.

.

.

Okay, as soon as I start casting the spell start chanting.

Ready?

.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

.

PH’NGLUI MGLW’NAFH CTHULHU R’LYEH WGAH’NAGL FHTAGN!

.

.

.

See? Nothing happened.

So I hope all of you watching this realize now that all of this stuff is nothing but-

*BOOM*

Wah!

What…What was that?

*BOOM*

.

.

You’re right, Spike, whatever it is it sounds like it’s coming from outside.

.

.

.

Oh sweet Celestia.

It wasn’t hokum, IT WASN’T HOKUM!

WE ACTUALLY SUMMONED CTHULHU!

AND HE’S HEADING STRAIGHT FOR PONYVILLE!

Ohhhh, this is bad. Thisisbadthisisbadthisis-

*SLAP*

.

Thank you, Spike, I needed that.

.

.

G-Good idea. You and Fluttershy go find the rest of our friends and I’ll do what I can to slow Cthulhu down in the meantime.

Fluttershy, you go get -

.

Uh, Spike, where’s Fluttershy?

.

.

SHE’S GOING AFTER CTHULHU ALL BY HERSELF?!

HAS SHE COMPLETELY LOST HER MIND?!

I’ve got to reach her before he destroys her and –

.

.

.

Are…are you seeing this, Spike?

.

.

Yeah, I don’t believe it either. Fluttershy is giving Cthulhu her stare…and it seems to be working on him.

.

.

.

And now he’s backing away from Ponyville.

.

.

.

And now Fluttershy is rubbing his belly.

.

I just don’t know what’s more perplexing to me right now; The fact that Cthulhu and all this Necronomicon stuff is actually real, or that Fluttershy is successfully subduing an ancient deity with belly rubs.

I think I’m going to end this episode here and just say this; Some urban legends might actually be true, but even if they are it’s probably best to simply leave them as legends and not try to prove that they’re true.

So as always, thanks for watching, everypony, and I’ll see you next time on Twilight Tries.

I really hope this doesn’t mean that Slender Pony is real too.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to Drake Redwing who didn't quiet suggest this chapter but did help inspire it!

If there's something you'd like to see Twilight try, please let me know in the comments!

PreviousChapters Next