• Published 14th Jan 2020
  • 5,149 Views, 1,265 Comments

Twilight Tries... - Peni Parker



There are many things Twilight Sparkle has never tried, but she's going to try some of them with you in her new vlog!

  • ...
15
 1,265
 5,149

PreviousChapters Next
Being Trixie's Assistant

...I swear, the things I do in the name of friendship sometimes.

.

Oh, shoot, the recording’s already started.

Hi, everypony, and welcome to another episode of Twilight Tries!

For today’s episode, I’ll be trying something that, quite frankly, I never imagined I’d be trying. Seriously, never. I honestly thought that I’d try something completely insane like, I don’t know…sticking my head in an active volcano, or sitting through an entire Ken Burns documentary before I’d ever try what it is I’m about to try.

And what I’m about to try is…being Trixie’s assistant.

Now before you ask; No, I’m not joking, and yes, I am doing this of my own free will.

So if you’ve seen a few of the other episodes of my vlog, you know that Trixie and I don’t exactly have the best relationship, and you might be wondering right now why it is that I’ve agreed to undertake this rather undesirable task. Well, the answer is simple; I’m doing it as a favor to Starlight.

For those of you who are unaware, Starlight has been assisting Trixie with her shows for some time now. She can’t always assist with every show because Trixie travels to some pretty distant places to perform, and since she has her guidance counselor job here in Ponyville her availability is limited. But whenever Trixie is in or around town she lends a helping hoof, both off and on-stage.

So anyways, Trixie is in Ponyville today for a show and, as fate would have it, Starlight isn’t feeling well. It’s nothing serious mind you, just a cold by the looks of it, but it’s enough to leave her bedridden and unable to be Trixie’s assistant for tonight’s performance. And because of this, she’s asked me to fill in for her.

Again, Trixie and I aren’t exactly besties, so as you can imagine I was a bit reluctant to agree to Starlight’s request. She said she knew it was a lot to ask of me given how Trixie and I feel about one another, but she also said that she really didn’t want to let her friend down and figured that a substitute assistant – any substitute assistant – would be better than nothing.

Well, being the Princess of Friendship I couldn’t really say no when she put it like that.

Sometimes this title really has its drawbacks.

So…here we are. On the way to Trixie’s wagon to be her replacement assistant.

I should mention too that Trixie doesn’t know I’m filling in for Starlight. Apparently Starlight was hoping she’d be better by now and didn’t say anything to Trixie about a possible replacement helping her tonight. So, yep, I’m the one who gets to break the news to Trixie.

Fun.

.

Oh, and in case you were wondering why I’m recording this for Twilight Tries, the reason is because doing so is my silver lining. I think I’ve made it pretty clear that I’m not all that thrilled about being Trixie’s assistant, but if I’m going to be I might as well make the most of it and record it for an episode of my vlog.

.

.

.

There’s Trixie.

Okay, Twilight, just be friendly and everything should work out fine.

.

Hi, Trixie.

.

.

Aaaand we’re already off to a less-than-ideal start.

Look, I’m just going to cut right to the chase here, okay? Starlight is feeling under the weather and she asked me to fill in for her as your assistant tonight.

.

.

Yes, really!

Why would I lie about something like that?!

.

.

Oh, yeah, because I secretly want to be your assistant. Sure, Trixie.

Okay, well, believe whatever you want, Trixie, but here are the facts. Starlight is back at the castle with a cold, she isn’t coming tonight, and she sent me as her replacement. You can go see her for yourself if you want, but I guarantee you she’ll be in bed sniffling and tell you that I am being 100% serious right now.

.

.

Right, well if that won’t be necessary then I suggest we get started. I’ve never been a magician’s assistant before, so I’m sure there’s a lot of stuff I need to learn before tonight.

.

.

Why does she always need to make such smug remarks like that?


Okay, what do we do first?

.

.

I unload the wagon?

Um, okay, what about you then?

.

.

You…go get a smoothie?

Okay, just, let me make sure I’m understanding this correctly. While I unload your wagon, you are going to go into town to get yourself a smoothie?

.

.

Uh-huh.

And is this how things are usually done when Starlight helps you?

.

.

You’ll be sure to bring me back a smoothie, huh?

That doesn’t answer my question.

Look, Trixie, I'm willing to be your assistant, but I'm not going to be your –

Aaaand she’s already gone.

*SIGH*

You’re doing this for Starlight, Twilight. Just keep reminding yourself of that.


Geez Louise, how much stuff does Trixie have in her wagon? And more importantly, how does she fit so much stuff in her wagon?

This thing isn’t a Tardis, is it?

.

Oh, Trixie, you’re back.

.

.

Well, the unloading would be going a lot faster if you helped me.

.

.

*PFFT*

Too great and powerful to help my flank.

By the way, where's my smoothie?

.

.

The smoothie you promised to bring back for me half an hour ago?

.

.

Unbelievable.

Okay, just…forget about the smoothie. Don’t you think maybe we should do a run through or something so that I know what to do come show time?

.

.

You thought of a new act for the show while you were gone?

Okay, what is it?

.

.

WHAT?!

Oh no, I don’t think so, Trixie!

You are not going to strap me to a spinning board so you can throw knives at me while blindfolded!

.

.

Gee, I don’t know, maybe because knife throwing is incredibly dangerous! Plus, I’m willing to bet you don’t even have any previous experience doing it!

Seriously, would you have suggested something like that if Starlight were here?!

.

.

Calm down?! CALM DOWN?!

HOW IN THE HAY AM I SUPPOSED TO CALM DOWN?! I COME HERE TO HELP YOU AND ALL YOU DO IS TREAT ME LIKE YOUR BUCKING SERVANT AND SAY YOU WANT TO THROW KNIVES AT ME!

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED I THINK ME BEING UPSET RIGHT NOW IS PRETTY DARN WARRANTED!

.

.

Oh no, uh-uh, you are not getting rid of me that easily, Trixie. I promised Starlight I would be your assistant tonight and by Luna's mane that is what I’m going to do.

But first, you and I are going to have a little talk.

.

.

Yes, I promise I’ll be calm.

.

.

Okay, so just plain old straight talk; Why do you hate me so much, Trixie?

I mean, I get that you don’t particularly like me after the whole Ursa Minor and Alicorn Amulet incidents, but I get the impression there’s more behind your feelings than just those two things.

.

.

You…can’t tell me?

Why not?

.

.

If you tell me then you’ll be indirectly breaking a promise you made to another pony?

So much for plain old straight talk.

Okay, I’m not going to ask you to break your promise. But I am going to ask you if you can put your negative feelings towards me aside for one night so we can do this show together. I know a lot of ponies are looking forward to it, and I know Starlight wants it to go on as well.

So what do you say? Do you think we can do this for all of your fans and for Starlight?

.

.

Thank you, Trixie.

Now how about that run through?

.

.

No, I’m still not letting you throw knives at me.


Wow, that actually wasn’t so bad. In fact, I’d say it was kind of fun.

Never thought I’d ever say that.

But yeah, when Trixie isn’t being all jealous and smug, she’s actually pretty enjoyable to be around. And having been her assistant today, I’ve definitely gained a certain appreciation for all the hard work she puts into her shows. They’re not as easy to put on as they seem.

Anyways, it’s unclear where the relationship between myself and Trixie is going to go from here, but I’d say that after today we’ve taken at least a baby step closer to becoming friends. Right now we’re going to get some post-show smoothies together and then take one to Starlight to cheer her up a bit.

.

.

Oh, thanks, Trixie.

I’m just glad I was an acceptable replacement assistant.

.

.

Great and powerful replacement assistant, huh? Bit of a mouthful, but I’ll take it.

Wait a second.

You can see why Starlight likes me so much?

What do you mean by that?

.

.

Okay, I’ll…just forget you said that.

So, um, smoothies?

.

.

Yeah, okay, I’ll meet you there.

.

Well, I think that’ll about do it for this episode.

So thanks for watching, everypony, and I’ll see you next time on Twilight Tries!

.

Hold on a minute.

Trixie says she doesn’t like me for a reason she can’t reveal without breaking a promise to another pony, but then makes a comment about Starlight liking me, and she and Starlight are really close friends.

You don't think…

.

*PFFT*

Come on, Twilight, Trixie’s negative feelings towards you don’t stem from her being jealous that Starlight has feelings for you instead of her.

Literally every aspect of that idea is just plain silly.

R-Right?

Author's Note:

Special thanks to ANW for suggesting this chapter!

If there's something you'd like to see Twilight try, please let me know in the comments!

PreviousChapters Next