• Published 14th Jan 2020
  • 5,151 Views, 1,265 Comments

Twilight Tries... - Peni Parker



There are many things Twilight Sparkle has never tried, but she's going to try some of them with you in her new vlog!

  • ...
15
 1,265
 5,151

PreviousChapters Next
Watching The Owl House

Author's Note:

Spoiler Alert for season one of The Owl House.

Special thanks to Donnnnn for suggesting this chapter!

If there's something you'd like to see Twilight try, please let me know in the comments!

Hi, everypony, and welcome to another episode of Twilight Tries!

So you may remember a while back I tried watching the Star Wars Holiday Special and a couple of horror movies on this vlog, and the reason I bring that up is because in today’s episode I’m going to be watching something again. This time though, instead of a standalone special or a movie, I’m going to be watching the first season of an animated show that I’ve been hearing a lot of buzz about.

Today, I’m going to try…watching The Owl House!

For those of you unaware, The Owl House is an animated show by Disney that only just got started earlier this year and recently finished up its first season a few weeks ago. It’s a show about a girl who discovers a portal to a strange new world and befriends some of its inhabitants.

Something that I can personally relate to.

Also, while she’s there she trains to become a witch and has a number of adventures along the way.

The premise doesn’t sound like anything groundbreaking, I know, but from what I’ve heard what makes this series so enjoyable are the relatable characters, good character development, and a nice balance of episodes that are fairly standalone and episodes that are part of an overarching story.

But enough talking about it, let’s get started watching!


Episode 1 – A Lying Witch and a Warden

.

Okay, so this girl Luz appears to be our main character. And you know what, I like her already! She has a very up-beat personality and isn’t afraid to be herself, both things I find appealing in a main character.

.

.

.

Wow, that is certainly one unique-looking magical world.

Are those…giant rib bones I’m seeing in the background?

.

Whoa, hold on a second, is that Wendie Malick voicing Eda the Owl Lady? I think it is.

Good for her! I haven’t seen her in a whole lot of things since Hot In Cleveland ended.

I miss Hot In Cleveland.

.

.

.

OH MY GOSH, THAT LITTLE DEMON IS SO CUTE!

I just want to hug him and squeeze him like Luz is doing right now!

.

.

.

Conformatorium? Yeah, that place doesn’t sound super fun, Eda.

Be careful in there, Luz.

.

Whoo boy, that Warden Wrath really does seem like a pretty bad guy. I wonder if he’s going to be our main villain?

.

.

.

That’s King’s crown?! They broke into that high-security place for a toy crown?

Of course who am I to judge? I pretty much did the same thing myself once.

.

Yeah, I’m with you, Luz. I hate everything that Warden Wrath is saying about wanting to date Eda too.

.

.

.

Yeah, go Luz! Free those wrongfully imprisoned people!

There’s nothing wrong with being different!

.

Okay, Warden Wrath is defeated and Luz has decided to stay and train to be a witch with Eda.

Not a bad start. I’m curious to see where things go from here.


Episode 2 – Witches Before Wizards

Wow, I really liked the moral of this episode.

We don’t need others to tell us we’re special or chosen because we each have the power to choose our own destiny.

I’m guessing this is going to be one of those standalone episodes, but it was certainly a good one.


Episode 3 – I Was a Teenage Abomination

Oh, so there’s a magic school on the Boiling Isles. Makes sense, and actually answers a question I’ve had recently about where Eda learned magic.

.

Aww, Luz made a new friend!

.

Luz made two new friends!

I’m really liking this episode.

.

.

.

Uh-oh, looks like Luz made an enemy.

I wonder if this Amity Blight is going to be our main villain? I don’t think it’s going to be Warden Wrath like I originally thought since we haven’t seen him since the first episode and no one even mentioned him since then either.


Episode 4 – The Intruder

Oh my gosh, Eda had a curse put on her that turns her into a ferocious owl beast!

I get the feeling that that’s going to be an important plot point in the overarching story.

But aside from that, it was great to see Luz learn that light spell. It reminded me of when I learned my first levitation spell.

You never forget your first spell.


Episode 5 – Covention

Huh, you know I really should have expected that witches in this show had covens, but honestly the thought never occurred to me before this episode.

.

Wait, when you join a coven all of your other magic is sealed away?!

That…that’s horrible. Why would you limit someone’s potential like that.

.

.

.

Oh, so this Emperor’s Coven has access to all forms of magic, huh?

Alright, now I know who our main villain is here. It’s got to be the one in-charge of the Emperor’s Coven.

.

EDA HAS A SISTER…AND SHE’S PART OF THE EMPEROR’S COVEN?!

Okay, maybe she’ll be our main villain.

.

.

.

Luz and Amity are having a witches duel?

Wow, this episode is really throwing a lot at us.
.

.

.

Phew, Luz made it through the duel in one piece, and I think she and Amity had a moment. A really small moment, but one that may lead to them understanding one another down the line.


Episode 7 – Lost in Language

Aww, Luz made more friends…I think. Honestly I’m not so sure Amity’s siblings are on the up-and-up here.

.

.

.

Yep, they just wanted Luz to help them mess with Amity. Can’t say I’m surprised by that.

At least Luz doesn’t seem to be going along with it.

.

.

.

Aww, Luz and Amity worked together to solve a problem and are now friends…I think. I don’t know, at least they don’t seem like enemies now, so that’s good.

Also, I loved the side story with Eda and the bat babies!

So cute.


Episode 9 – Something Ventured, Something Framed

Okay, Eda is officially best mom after everything she went through in this episode to get Luz into Hexside! I really love how the relationship between these two is developing.

Also, that nameless background character who said that friendship is the real magic is now my new favorite character.


Episode 12 – Adventures in the Elements

Okay, so Luz and Amity do seem to be getting along pretty well here. Still not sure if they’re friends though.

.

Ooh, Luz needs to learn another spell to be in the same class as Amity.

Well, I know where this is going.

.

Yep, Eda teaching Luz magic.

But what’s this, Amity is training at the same location as them? Interesting.

.

.

.

Huh, Luz and Amity had to work together again to solve a problem. I’m starting to wonder if there’s going to be more to these two as the season goes on. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

.

Okay, Hooty is the creepiest thing in this show for me. There’s just something about him saying that he’ll be haunted by his actions for the rest of his life and then cheerfully saying ‘hoot hoot’ that’s so unsettling.

*SHUDDER*


Episode 13 – The First Day

Okay, two big things I’m taking away from this episode.

One, young Eda kind of looks like Adagio Dazzle with all that poofy orange hair, and two, I don’t think I’ll be able to look at the sorting hat from Harry Potter again without thinking of the choosy hat.

Seriously, that thing was only on screen for a few seconds and it managed to creep me out.


Episode 15 – Understanding Willow

Just…why would you use a spell to manifest your memories into photos that if damaged will damage your memories themselves? That makes zero sense to me and is just a disaster waiting to happen.

.

Yep, Willow lost her memories because Amity accidentally burned her photos of them.

I knew something like that was going to happen.

.

Luz and Amity are going to fix Willow’s memories, huh? I have to say, I’m kind of surprised at how many adventures Luz and Amity are having together, considering they started off as enemies.

.

.

.

Wow, Willow and Amity really do have a history together. It’s so said that they were torn apart because Amity’s parents didn’t think Willow was good enough to be her friend.

I wish I could say that things like that only happen in fictional stories like this, but as the Princess of Friendship I can tell you I’ve seen it happen firsthoof.

I’ll never understand that kind of thinking, and frankly I hope I never do.

.

.

.

Aww, Willow and Amity are, well…Willow said they aren’t quite friends again, but at least they’re not enemies anymore and are working things out.


Episode 16 – Enchanting Grom Night

Grom.

Okay, if I had to guess I’d say that’s Hexside’s version of prom.

.

.

.

Yep, I was right.

.

O-kay, I was partially right. I didn’t expect there to be a duel between a student and a fear monster named Grom, and I certainly didn’t expect Amity to be the student who has to fight Grom.

.

Aww, look at Luz being a good friend and agreeing to fight Grom in Amity’s place.

.

.

.

Whoa, Luz’s greatest fear is her mom finding out that she’s training to be a witch!

That’s deep.

.

.

.

OH MY GOSH, DID YOU SEE THAT?!

THAT DANCE BETWEEN LUZ AND AMITY WAS SOOOOO CUTE!!!

.

Aaaaand Amity wanted to ask Luz to Grom as well?

Yep, these two are going to end up as a couple, I’m calling it right now. Guess I better think of a good shipping name for them.

Amiluz? Nah, that doesn’t have a good ring to it.

Luzity? Eh, that’s better, but…

.

Oh, I just checked and the Owl House fanbase already has a name for them.

I should have figured that.

Lumity. I like that.

.

.

.

Wait, who…who’s writing letters to Luz’s mom?


Episode 17 – Wing It Like Witches

Yeah, I’m convinced that this episode only existed to try and really hammer home the whole Lumity thing.

Amity was so cute in this episode!


Episode 18 – Agony of a Witch

How is it that even when Hooty is being awesome by fighting off Lilith and the Emperor’s Coven he still manages to creep me out?

Seriously, just…how?

.

Oh no, don’t go to the Emperor’s Castle, Luz. I know you think there’s something there that can help with Eda’s curse, but Lilith is probably there too.

.

.

.

Yep, Lilith captured Luz to try and lure Eda to her.

Saw that coming.

.

.

.

SWEET CELESTIA, ARE YOU SEEING THIS WITCHES DUEL BETWEEN EDA AND LILITH RIGHT NOW?!

This show really went up to 11 fast.

.

LILITH WAS THE ONE WHO CURSED EDA?!

Okay we just went from 11 to like, 15.

.

.

.

No, Eda!

She…she sacrificed herself to save Luz. Now she’s been captured by Lilith and might be stuck in her owl beast form forever.

.

I need a minute here.


Episode 19 – Young Blood, Old Souls

Okay, this is it, the season finale. So much has happened up until this point, especially last episode, and now it’s all about to come to a head.

I have to admit, I’m a bit nervous about what will happen in this episode, but not nearly enough to stop me from watching. So let’s do this!

.

Yep, Luz’s going to try and save Eda.

And she really seems to want to get revenge on Lilith. Can’t say I blame her for that though.

I just hope she doesn’t end up going to the dark side out of that desire for vengeance.

.

.

.

Oh, so now Lilith wants to help Luz free Eda, huh?

That seems like a pretty big 180 degree turn to me, especially after what happened last episode. But whatever, as long as Eda is freed as a result of it I’m not going to complain.

.

.

.

Okay, Luz vs. Emperor Belos. This is the big moment.

.

Geez this guy is strong. I hope Luz will be - ALRIGHT LUZ! NICE JOB DAMAGING THAT CREEPY MASK OF HIS!

.

Belos wants…the portal to Luz’s world?

Don’t give it to him, Luz. Don’t-

.

She gave it to him. I can’t believe she – WHOA! SHE DESTROYED THE PORTAL! SHE DESTROYED HER ONLY WAY HOME TO STOP BELOS’ EVIL PLAN!

Wow, just…wow.

.

.

.

Phew, they all got away from Belos. Thank goodness.

That guy has officially replaced Hooty as creepiest character in the show for me.

.

Oh, so now you decide to help Eda with the curse you put on her, huh, Lilith?!

Sorry, I know she helped team Owl House in the end, but I still don’t like her very much. I mean I’m all for forgiveness and second chances, but after everything Lilith’s done it’s going to take a lot for me to like her going forward.


Well, that was season one of The Owl House.

I have to say, I enjoyed that more than I thought I would. I really got emotionally invested in the characters and I can’t wait to see what the next season holds, especially since there are so many unresolved mysteries. Like who’s sending Luz’s mom those letters and what’s Belos’ plan for Luz’s world.

But anyways, this seems like a good place to stop. So as always thanks for watching, everypony, and I’ll see you next time on Twilight Tries!


Bonus Short – Welcome to Hexside!

Huh, well this is a neat little short.

A recruitment video for Hexside, how fun!

.

You know, watching this right now is giving me the idea of maybe doing something similar for the School of Friendship. Ooh, and maybe I can even get an episode of Twilight Tries out of making it!

Gotta write that idea down for later.

.

.

.

Wait, WHAT?! Hexside no longer teaches the magic of friendship due to budget constraints?!

Oh I don’t think so.

Spike, get my travel bag! I’m going to Hexside!

.

.

Yes I know it’s a made-up school in a cartoon, but if I can use my magic to go inside Moondancer’s book then I can use it to go into The Owl House and make sure those students are able to learn about friendship!

.

.

We can discuss my sanity later, just hurry up with my bag!

Don’t worry, students of Hexside, the Princess of Friendship is coming to help you.

PreviousChapters Next