• Published 30th Oct 2019
  • 256 Views, 4 Comments

A Derp in Time - SirVindicator

  • ...
 4
 256

The Tablet of Strength

It was morning in Ponyville. Derpy Hooves had woken up to the sound of birds chirping and sound of a river flowing nearby. She took a moment to look around and found that something was very different. First things first, she was in a grassy field as opposed to the cloud that she slept in. Secondly, she was no longer a pegasus, but an earth pony, a fact that she noticed and became more or more astonished by is she examined herself. She also noticed that next to her there some new clothes set out next to her and neatly folded. They were a green pointed hat, a green vest and a brown long sleeve shirt. There was also a boomerang next to her. Also her original cutie mark was gone and replaced by a new one, it had three disorganized yellow triangles on it. Suddenly a voice came out of nowhere, it belonged to The Maiden of the Stars.

"Hello, my chosen one, I am glad to see that you were awake. I hope that these changes made are not too startling."

"Where am I? What happened to my wings and my cutie mark?"

"You will not get them back until the quest is complete. I did this to protect your identity so that no one will recognize who you are. You are now an earth pony."

The Maiden of the Stars paused for a bit and it continued, "Your first task is to retrieve The Tablet of Strength as it will aid you in getting the other two tablets."

"How?"

"You will find out after you get it. Now I need you to get your clothes on and get the boomerang that I gave you. You will need them to go on to a store that is directly East of the first cave that you will visit. There you can get supplies for your quest, but before you go there you will need to seek the old creature that lives in the cave just over the hill, North of here. He will help you on your quest."

Derpy Hooves followed her instructions getting the clothes on and picking up the boomerang with her mouth. The Maiden of the Stars was displeased, she said, "Is that any way to pick up a quest item?"

"What's wrong with the way I picked it up?"

"This is a valuable Quest item you need to do it with some passion. I will show you the way that I want you to pick up these items."

Suddenly a wooden version of Derpy appeared out of nowhere. Derpy dropped the boomerang and the wooden version of her picked it up with its front hooves and stood on its back hooves and presented the item to the sky, mouth somewhat agape. A triumphant jingle then played.

"And this is how I want you to pick up very special items, like The Tablet of Strength."

The wooden version of Derpy Hooves then picked up the boomerang again and presented it with passion to the sky, this time with a big grin on its face. A triumphant jingle played, this time with trumpets sounding loudly.

"Did you get all of that?"

*Derpy Hooves nods her head up and down.*

"Good, now off you go hero the fate of all Equestria is that state."

"But wait, how will the way I pick up items be important? Also, where are you? I can hear you in my head, but you're nowhere around."

"I am communicating with you telepathically and the way you pick up items will show me whether or not I was right on you being a chosen one. Now, I already told you to go off."

As the wooden version of her disappeared, she set off towards the cave, making sure that she remembered the boomerang. After a little bit of walking she arrived at the cave's entrance. A voice beckoned her to come in and she did so, reluctantly. She then arrived at the center of the cave to see a cloaked figure between two flames.

As Derpy Hooves approach the figure, he stopped her and said, "Hello young traveler! I am the old creature of this cave. Tell me do you wish to set off on a journey to save all of Equestria?"

Derpy nodded her head.

"Then here! it is dangerous to go alone, take this."

It was a short wooden staff with a gold ball in shape of Twilight's head at the end of it. Derpy Hooves did exactly what she was instructed to do when picking up quest items. She picked it up with her front hooves and stood on her back hooves presenting the item to the sky with with her mouth agape. And sure enough, a triumphant jingle played.

The creature then said trying to hold back some giggles, "You truly are the chosen one of the Maiden. Good luck on your quest!"

Derpy Hooves left the cave and proceeded​ onward to the store that The Maiden had mentioned. The sounds of laughter could be heard echoing throughout the cave. After several miles of walking and a run-in with some ravens, she made it to the store. She walked in and observed how you judge the inside of the store was with many different items lining the walls.

"Hello? My name is Derpy Hooves. I was sent here by The Maiden."Derpy said as she noticed that the store appeared to be empty.

Then all of a sudden a sales clerk appeared from behind the counter. She was a short female earth pony with fiery yellow and pink hair.

She then said cheerfully, "Welcome to the store with no name. My name is Spice Barrel. We sell all kinds of things to travelers like you. How may I help you?"

Derpy responded, "I'm on a quest to save Equestria and--"

She was cut off by a voice that came from one of the store's higher shelves. It yelled, "Hey where am I? What the hay happened to me last night? Whatever I drank was flipping crazy. Seriously, why am I up here and why the freak am I smaller and have ancient writing on my stomach. Wait, 'hey'? 'Flipping'? 'Freak'? I didn't mean to say any of that. Why can't I swear?"

"I have a surprise for you Derpy in the back of the store. A very special tablet that only a chosen few creatures can use. And if you were sent by The Maiden, then you must be one of those creatures. Please, come this way."said Spice Barrel.

Derpy Hooves responded, "Okay..."

"No wait, answer me!! Where am I?!"

Before the voice could get an answer Spice Barrel rushed Derpy Hooves to a private room behind the counter with all of store's secret and precious items were. In the room, where items only offered to a chosen few customers. Derpy Hooves immediately noticed a tablet on a marble pedestal.

Spice Barrel then noticed where Derpy Hooves was looking and said, "I see you have one of your eyes on a new item that I found last month. It's called the Tablet of Strength. Legend says that whoever is worthy enough to use the tablet will gain immense strength."

Derpy blurted out, "That's it! That's one of the items that The Maiden of the Stars told me I have to get it for my quest."

"Don't say her full title out loud."

"Oh sorry."

"I'll make you a deal. If you can use the tablet to lift that large, really heavy iron ball over there on the left side of the room and carry it to the opposite side, then you can have the tablet for free. Sounds like a pretty good deal doesn't it?"

Derpy Hooves just nodded her head. Spice Barrel gave Derpy the tablet. Derpy then went over to the iron ball with the tablet and tried to lift it with her back hooves and to her surprise, she did it. She then put the iron ball on her back and carried it over to the other side of the room and placed it down on the floor.

"Well a deal's a deal! The Tablet of Strength is yours."

Derpy Hooves then picked up the tablet of power and held it over her head with a big grin on her face. A triumphant jingle then played, trumpets sounding loudly.

Author's Note:

Please give feedback and I hope you all enjoy this chapter.

Comments ( 3 )

Should I change the story name to something like "Legend of The Maiden: A Derp to the Past"?

9916932
Both titles fit well, you do you!

(I do love that game though)

Nice work so far. Though it feels like if the maiden went so far as to change Derpy's species and cutie mark to protect her identity, maybe Derpy should give herself a new name or a title to help masking who she really is.

Login or register to comment