• Published 17th Sep 2019
  • 1,542 Views, 26 Comments

Bionicle: Into the Shadows - One of Nine

  • ...
5
 26
 1,542

3. Breaking the Mold

Author's Note:

YES!!!! FINALLY! A full year later and I finally get this chapter done!

Good greif, finding the time to work on this was... difficult. I do plan to work on this story, but it will equally cut into my time for the other story I'm working on. As always, let me know your thoughts and please don't be mad!:fluttershyouch:

3. Breaking the Mold

Long before the current day and age, Makuta Valkaan had previously had his own reservations about Equestria and its inhabitants. Like it was back in their old world, he expected that the Light would shun the Dark, as it had always been. Even when he and his siblings had witnessed the Alicorn Queen banish her sister, the world’s avatar of Darkness and the Night, Celestia had proven him wrong when she extended her hand in friendship. Though the Makuta still had their suspicions about her, through the next hundred years, she showed them a new way of living. A way of life in which every being was equal, whether they be of the Light or the Dark.

This thought had peeked the Makuta’s interest when he had first heard of it, listening intently as the Queen explained her society. From Monarchy to equality, these were new thoughts to the Makuta as a whole.

Valkaan was torn from his reminiscing by a sudden beeping from his communications array. Two blue lights flashed as the noise continued, prompting the Makuta to stride towards hovering silver disc on his long workbench and press the secure channel button on its rim. A slender female Makuta blinked into existence on the holographic screen, her four orange eyes giving the old Makuta something of a kinship between them. In fact, this was also felt by the young female, and so she had requested to be under his guidance until she passed her studies and trails.

“Father, I am having trouble with this problem. Would you please help me?” Came the voice of what the ponies referred to as a teenager, the female’s maskless face showing in the light. She began tapping her chin with a pen, its black surface split down the middle with a blue light.

“Which problem is it, Kajah?”

“I… don’t remember if it was the nucleotide or the sciaenid residue I needed to add.”

“Well, what are you trying to do? Add or subtract from the mutation?” Said Valkaan, both sets of eyes watching as the female fumbled with the vials of blue and green liquid. “Remember, this isn’t a pony school and I’m not trying to drill all these facts into you. Mutation is an art form; I’m simply showing you how I do it. You can create your own style when you feel you’re ready.”

“I know Father, thank you.” She said with a nod, the young Makuta feeling almost naked before her teacher with no mask. “I know I must complete my studies and craft my own mask, but I’m still having trouble deciding what my mask’s power will be.”

“All in due time, my dear. But for now, let us focus on this.”

“Yes, Father.” Kajah droned, her twelve-foot-long tail whipping about in the background. There was a sudden knock from the Ponyville Spire’s front door and the screen split to show the building’s entrance. Valkaan smiled behind his mask, seeing a teenage cyan pegasus waiting impatiently at the door.

“I’m sorry, but another requires my attention.” Valkaan apologized, his red eyes going dim for a moment in regret. “I will return shortly.”

“Of course, Father.” The communication went silent.

=<Meanwhile>=

In a dark alley of Manehattan, a loud bang and a flash of dim light erupted, creating a hole within the space between worlds. Two figures fumbled out, followed by two more, leaping over their fallen brethren. The standing two then helped their friends to their feet, one struggling to keep hold of his massive great sword.

“Whoa…” Groaned a Toa of Fire, his red and silver armor clashing with the Toa of Light helping him stand. “W-What happened? Where in Mata Nui are we?”

“You want the long answer or the short one?” Grunted the Toa of Ice, his white Kanohi Rode glinting in the sunlight like fresh snow.

“Short. My head can’t take the long answer at this moment.”

“We aren’t in or on Mata Nui.”

“And you can tell that how?” Asked a Toa of Water to his right, hefting her sniper rifle onto her silver shoulder, her orange eyes scanning the area.

“By the fact that we are currently in an alley unlike what we’d find in Metru Nui, everything from trash bins to the very ground is different. This street is paved stone and not dirt, stone tiles, nor Protosteel.” Argued the Toa of Ice, deemed Ruuk. “It’s funny that I can see clearer than you, even without scopes attached to my mask.”

“Say that again,” Growled the Toa of Water, pushing her mask into his. “I dare you.”

“And I dare you not to start a fight Nahva.” A Toa of Light pressed herself between the two, breaking their struggle, her golden Mask of Dimensional Gates glimmering along with the rest of her pearly armor. “It’s my fault we’re here, and I’ll do everything I can to get us back home.”

“Not without help you won’t.” Came a voice from the alley’s entrance. The Toa all gazed down the alley to see a towering figure, clad in bladed black and red armor, his crimson eyes peering at them in curiosity.

“You are currently trespassing in sector TK-421, and I would ask that you leave, but seeing as you just exited a dimensional gate, you have nowhere to go.” Said the Makuta in an almost bored tone. “And while I would love to question you, I’d like you out of my zone.”

“Zone?” Asked the perplexed Fire Toa, stepping toward the Makuta. “Where are we? And who are you?”

“Oh…” Laughed the Makuta, looking at his claws for a moment in thought. “You are in Manehatten, in the land of Equestria. Don’t ask, I quite hate the name myself. In any case, as for who I am, I’m sure you’ve at least heard of me from wherever you come from. I am Makuta Icarax.”

The Toa all froze, eyes wide in terror.

“T-The Mak-Makuta Icarax? The Makuta of Karzahni?” Shuttered Nahva, stepping back and readying her rifle.

“Yes, that’s me.” Smiled Icarax behind his Mask of Shadows, now a trophy from his fallen adversary.

“T-The Shadow of War?” Breathed Ruuk, finally letting his Konda styled sword to fall off his shoulder, loudly slicing to the ground with a crack.

The Makuta’s smile slowly dissipated. “Yes… don’t wear it out…”

“The Blade of Wrath?” Muttered Kapura, the Toa of Fire, pulling out his sword and stood ready.

Icarax now had a clawed hand to his forehead, eyes dimming in irritation. “Yes, I know that I have a mountain of titles, but can we just skip to the part where you all rush in and fight? You Toa seem to have a knack for that.”

Kapura wasted no time as he ran forward, Nahva close behind with her rifle. Icarax could tell just by this action, and he thought to himself, ‘I’m dealing with rookie Toa, and I’m going to wipe the floor with their masks.’

With this in mind, the Makuta sidestepped Kapura’s slash and rolled away from the water Toa’s three shots, grasping her by the head and shoving her to the ground. Nahva grunted and groaned, slowly gathering her bearings as she lay in the small crater, rifle shattered next to her.

Icarax observed the two other Toa in front of him, daring both elements of ice and light to attack. Finally, Kwaara made her move. Leaping forward, she brought out her Light Daggers, hacking and slashing at the Makuta. Icarax used his power of evasion to dodge every swipe with a bored look. With a thought, he ghosted through the oncoming Toa, and once on the other side of her suddenly shivering form, he shoved her into the alley wall.

“That… felt weird…” Groaned Kwaara from her spot, a slimy banana peel on her head, still shaken from the experience.

The Makuta looked to the Toa of Fire behind him, who was charging yet again with his sword alight in orange flame. Icarax rolled his eyes and density shifted once again, letting the Toa pass though him. He turned to see Kapura barely manage to stop himself from colliding with his Toa brother. The two Toa then looked to their adversary, wondering how they could overcome such an enemy.

“He’s not trying to kill us.” Noted Ruuk aloud, his red eyes scanning the Makuta from behind his blue visor. “Are you just toying with us Makuta?”

“Hm…” Icarax hummed in mock bewilderment. “Am I?”

“Ruuk, we need a plan.” Said Kapura, looking to his friend, sword still raised.

“I have a plan… surrender.”

The Toa of Fire’s eyes went wide, his sword almost falling out of his grasp. Kapura gripped it again and gaped at the Toa of Ice. “Are you serious?! Can’t we take him?”

“The Toa Nuva tried and failed to defeat the Makuta all those years ago, our battle will end just the same if we continue. In the end, Teridax won and we were subject to tyranny. But if anything, if what I’m seeing beyond these walls is true, then I think that this Icarax is anything but a tyrant.” Ruuk reasoned, looking behind the Makuta to see a flourishing city of strange creatures. Strange though they were, he couldn’t deny that many looked content, happy even. “I’m willing to surrender and see where this choice leads us. After all, it’s better than dying by his hands.”

Kapura looked down in thought, then looked to a still down Nahva, and to Kwaara who wiped away the trash from her armor. They couldn’t win, even if they all wanted to. “Unity… we win, and loose together.”

“Who said you were losing? You had me on the ropes for a moment.” Icarax laughed, but soon turned serious again and looked to the Toa of Ice. “It has taken me many years to learn that some battles can’t be won, so it is better to live another day so that you can fight another day. You may be wiser than me, Toa. But if I am to be rid of you, I will need to send you back from whence you came.”

The Makuta turned to Kwaara; his red gaze fixed on the Toa of Light. “From which universe did you come? I know that mask, and its power.”

However, Kwaara stepped back and grew nervous under the dark shadow. “Um, I-I do-don’t know. I-It was j-just a sp-spur of the moment t-thing…”

His eyes narrowing, Icarax hummed to himself. “I see…”

Seeming to make a decision, the Makuta of Karzahni pulled a silver disc from his belt and pressed a button on the side, the image of a yellow furred mare with a green mane and blue specs hovering above the device. “Send a minor dropship to my location.”

“Yes Makuta.” Bowed the mare before vanishing. Icarax looked to see the Toa had gathered together, Ruuk explaining their situation. Needless to say, many were skeptical.

“Are you serious?” Growled Nahva, leaning on her mangled rifle for support. “You want us to trust him? A Makuta?!”

“Yes.” Came Ruuk’s all-too-serious reply. “What else is there to do?”

“Um, retreat?!” The female Toa acted as if it was the most obvious choice.

“To where? We know nothing about this world, but he does. And, if you didn’t hear, he said that he knows the Olmak’s power, so would he have used one in the past? Maybe that was how he got to this world? Seeing as how, what I think are the inhabitants—”

“Which they are.” Interrupted the Makuta.

“Yes… they aren’t like the Matoran, nor any other creature I’ve seen in the Archives. I believe we are in another universe, and one that has a Makuta who is willing to help.” The Toa of Ice eyed the Makuta cautiously. “Besides, it’s better than running around aimlessly.”

“That it would be.” Agreed Icarax, folding his hands behind his back. “’It is always better to find allies than to wonder through the territories of enemies.’ I believe that was what Shake Spear said, the wise fool.”

“So, what do we do now?” Asked Kapura, sheathing his sword on his back, not caring for the Makuta’s last words.

“We wait for the transport and I see about you four getting back to your dimension.”

=<Back in Ponyville>=

“You wished to know when the next installment is coming?” Asked Valkaan with a tilted head. “It will not be for another few weeks at least. I have other things that require my attention, Rainbow Dash.”

“I know you’re busy, Makuta, and I respect that. But… you think I could get a head’s up before the book releases?” She asked with a pleading smile, the teenage pegasus’ wings flapping as she hovered.

“And give you an unfair advantage against the other consumers? No.”

“Aw…” Rainbow bemoaned, slouching in the air.

“But… I will save you a copy for when you arrive.” This brightened the young mare’s spirits, the light returning in her eyes.

“Yes!” Rainbow pumped a fist to show her approval.

“Now, I believe your free hour is almost up. You best get back to school.” The Makuta directed the mare toward the schoolhouse.

Her mood fell immediately, prompting a momentary pout. “Aw, but school’s so boring…”

“And yet, you wish to join the Wonderbolts do you not? You must finish your education before that happens.”

“Yeah, I know…” Rainbow lamented, crossing her arms as she landed in her dismay and folded her wings. “But why does it have to be so boring? Couldn’t they make school… I don’t know, 20% cooler?”

“It is the way they choose to run the society, and I have no wish to correct them in that area. But… I may put in a good word for you with the Queen next time I see her.” Valkaan smiled as her grin returned.

“Thanks Valkaan!” With that, Rainbow was off.

The Makuta nodded as she flew into the distance. Turning about, he re-entered his Protosteel home, the entrance closing behind him like millions of needles knitting themselves together, sealing him in the dark hallway. Valkaan continued on his way back to his study, hearing an aggravated groan from the upcoming room. Peeking inside, he found a distraught Kajah overlooking a bubbling mess and a melting Ussal Crab. The unfortunate Rahi was reduced to sludge as he stepped forward, his large feet clanking against the metallic floor.

“I see that you’ve failed.” Valkaan stated, looking over the young Makuta with slight worry. “What did you learn?”

“That it was the nucleotide, not the sciaenid residue.” Kajah chastised herself with a growl. “And that I’m not cut out for mutation.”

“Well… you could seek to become a politician…”

“I hate politics.”

“Noted. Perhaps a Warrior? Like Gorast and Icarax.”

Kajah froze, seeming to let fear grip her. “T-They’re—”

“Very hard on their pupils, yes, I know. But I wasn’t chiefly referring to them.”

“Who then? Y-You?” She asked in disbelief, her four eyes looking him up and down. “No offence Father, but… I’ve never seen you fight. Like… at all.”

“Times of peace do not call for a Warrior. But I am also an expert in alternate dimensional travel, you could learn some of this craft.” Valkaan suggested, flexing his spines.

“And what are its applications?”

“In these times; exploration and discovery.” The old Makuta smiled behind his horned mask. “That and it is a good hobby.”

The young Makuta sighed, glancing over at the now dead and rotting crab, thankful she couldn’t smell the stench. “I will think about it… along with everything else…”

Valkaan looked over the fatigued teen, stepping closer and patting her shoulder. “No. Not tonight, go and get some rest. You need it.”

Kajah’s spirits seemed to brighten, her eyes gaining some of their lost life. “Thank you, Father.”

Just at that moment, the communications disc on Valkaan’s belt went off. Said Makuta fished it out and clicked it on, the readings of Twilight’s chrysalis coming up. They showed mental activity and that the pod was cracking. Valkaan’s eyes widened as he stared at the holographic screen, its blue light illuminating his mask as Kajah looked between the readings and her teacher.

“What happened?” She asked, not recognizing the name in the document’s title.

“Twilight Sparkle was the Queen’s personal apprentice, but there was an accident, and she has been mutated.” He answered, looking to the young Makuta. “And she’s done cooking.”

It was a short walk until they reached the lab where Twilight’s chrysalis was being kept. There, in a dark corner, sat the large purple and orange pod that contained the former unicorn. Jerking this way and that, the chrysalis rocked and shook until it fell over and cracked. The crevasses spiderwebbed up the crystalline pod, faint wisps of green smoke drifting out as the cracks grew. Finally, after a solid twenty seconds, the chrysalis shattered. And laying amongst the fragments sat a drowsy and confused Twilight, now no longer a pony, but a black and purple Makuta.

Unlike most Makuta’s armor, which was angular and sharp, Twilight’s armor had a soft look. Curving and bending like water, her armor was elegant, yet it still spoke of the powerful being it held.

“Well, this was expected, but I’m still having trouble believing what I’m seeing…” Whispered Valkaan in a stunned voice, his four red eyes wide.

“Oh my…” Shuttered Kajah and she looked over her teacher’s shoulder, her eyes scanning the new Makuta.

At that moment, Twilight lifted her head, her orange eyes locked on the two Makuta before her. Then, she looked down at her new form and screamed.

Comments ( 6 )

10049401
Agree it's Twilight's fault and the one who was supposed to be keeping an eye on her.

IT IS BACK!!!
Very nice chapter!:raritystarry:

10695862
Well it's not so simple, the makuta had responsible of supervising her. He should taken twilight out of the room for safety reasons. Secondly the experiment stood open, if I remember correctly, so this is a risk for over makuta too.
And lastly Twilight is in this story only a teenager, and at least in Germany (where I live) teenagers can't take full responsibility for their actions, yes at an age of 14 they can go to a special jail just for underaged people, but the parents and supervising persons will still have the major blame for the teenagers doing.
So I think it was right to punish the makuta.
And please don't forget, makuta have a bit of a cruel side so they enjoy the chance to punish someone.

This is good I really want to see what the future chapters hold.

This surprised me a lot, did not expect this to be so good. Hope to see more of this in the future, this fic gives me some real nostalgia remembering Bionicle. :pinkiesad2:

11215358
I agree, assuming I can actually get around to working on it again. Life and all that…

Login or register to comment