• Published 17th Sep 2019
  • 1,533 Views, 26 Comments

Bionicle: Into the Shadows - One of Nine

  • ...
5
 26
 1,533

Prologue. Through the Sands of Time

Author's Note:

While this is only the begining, I hope that this story will grab a few eyes and entertain all who come across it. See you next update! :pinkiehappy:

The Waves of Darkness. Devils of Destral. Masters of the Shadows.

These were only a few names that an ancient race, the Makuta, were known by. Considered to be titans amongst their world, each Makuta sported a physic like the horrific monsters found in nightmares. From razor-sharp claws, wicked plated armor, horrifying masks, to nearly fifty powers of mass destruction, these creatures of darkness knew the ways of fear and power.

The only way to distinguish a Makuta from the rest of the populous was by their solid red or green eyes and strong aura of power.

Once, the Makuta were scientists and protectors of their home world, only to be shunned and driven to near extinction when one for their number took control of their organization, driving them to world domination. Though, not all turned to the dark side and chose to seize control of the world. While not as many, a small group of rebels stood with their former leader; the Dragon Makuta, Miserix, and defended their world's citizens from tyranny.

A clash of shadowy titans broke out inside the depths of their world's core, in the heart of Mata Nui himself. For millennia, the Makuta had been the defenders and antibodies for the planet sized robot they called home. Now, the small band and an army of Toa stood to protect him, even if it was for the last time.

By the end, those who stood victorious were the followers of Miserix. The Makuta oppressors had been defeated and were placed under their brethren's care, now set as servants for their fellow Makuta. But once the dust cleared, all the Toa and other races saw were more Makuta that would turn on them. They didn't see heroes, only potential villains.

Shocked and angered, Miserix defended their honor and demanded why they were treated so poorly. The Toa and elders demanded that the Makuta leave and never returned. Once the Makuta were given their answer and were asked to leave, Miserix asked that they be given time to find a way into exile. It took several weeks, but the Makuta had finally come up with a plan. They would send themselves through a rift in the dimensional barrier, leaving their universe behind.

Five months passed, but the Void Crawler was completed. After the crafting of another Kanohi Olmak was completed, the Makuta hooked it close to the ship's main reactor, sending its energies throughout the ship. The Void Crawler was a vast silver spire with three rings hovering around it, the spire acting as their center piece. Between each ring and the spire lay a maze of sickly green webs, the Visorak webs spanned from the rings’ inner layer and anchored the rings in their positions. Each ring gave out a thunderous hum as they pulsed with blue energy, with each wave of sound a bright flare of power surged its way to the spire, continuing to power the kio high ship.

With their craft finished, the Makuta departed without a single farewell. The ship began to hum even louder as a beam of green and blue energy flared out in front of the ship, opening a large portal to worlds unknown. And with a single pulse of the engines, the ship was gone and the portal closed, never to grace the Makuta's home world with their presence again.

For two years they searched for a place to call home. For two years they searched for a place that they would be accepted. But, because of resent events or just by the Makutas' looks, each people turned them away or "chased" them off. From world to world, and realm to realm, they traveled. From where a large golden rahi sang a new world into existence, to a world where six heroes battle an alien army using a glowing blue cube. And other worlds where the governments collapsed, to a world where the energy known as "magic" was real. The Makuta pressed on.

That is, until an interdimensional anomaly erupted into the space between realms and crippled their ship.

First, the hull of the Void Crawler bent and groaned, prompting everyone to rush to the bridge. Second, massive energy surges were detected, sending the ship rocking and tumbling through the void. And lastly, a large flash of light over took the ship. It had no origin, there was just a flash of white light, and all was quiet and still.

When they awoke, they were scattered among a lush forest, rain poring from the heavens. Once the Makuta regrouped, they saw that their ship had arrived with them, but it had crashed into the side of a mountain. The once proud vessel that had carried them through time and space, now lay in ruins along the side of a mountain. But they did not have time to mourn for their fallen ship. There suddenly came a loud and devastating wave of energy from over a ridge.

The Makuta moved to investigate. Once atop the hillside, they looked over the landscape to see a large fortress of stone and metal, a full moon set in the horizon. But what captivated them wasn't the scenery, it was the battle between two creatures as they sored in the night sky.

The beings had the general shape of a female Toa, but their legs didn't end in feet, they ended in strange hard stumps. They had odd wings, unlike the flying rahi of their world, allowing them both to fly among the clouds. They both had horns, if one could call them that, protruding from their foreheads. These horns allowed them to channel a strange energy, blasting different colored beams at each other.

One was a dark midnight black, like the deepest of shadows. It wore navy blue armor and carried a curved sword, obviously ready for battle.

The other was pure white, its long heir (as the Makuta had come to learn what the mop of fur atop one's head was called) was like a gleaming spectrum. Where the other was dressed in armor, this one was dressed in an evening gown, clearly dressed for a relaxing evening.

From just looking at the scene, it seemed that the white one was hit by a surprise attack. The fortress was possibly its home and the dark one had come to kill her.

After observing for a few more seconds, Makuta Valkaan, a hulking titan of black and silver armor, watched as the white one was swatted into the ground. As the dark creature descended, cackling all the while, the Makuta made their move.

(V)

Nightmare Moon had won!!

She'd done it!

Celestia was defeated and there was nopony to stop her from plunging Equestria into eternal night. She released a sigh and sheathed her sword, confident that she'd claimed victory. She then sat down on a shattered pillar to regain her strength, yet she wouldn't get the chance. Suddenly, she was struck from the side as a shadow fell over her. There were no hoof clops, there was no warning. All at once, a massive metal claw spawned out of nowhere and grabbed her by the head, yanking her off her seat and throwing her across the courtyard. When she managed to get back on her hooves, whatever had attacked her was gone.

Heart pounding, she scanned the courtyard, but she saw nothing. From out of nowhere, another shadow loomed over her. She turned and looked up to see a large monster, four solid red eyes and the same four fingered claw that had snatched her from before. With a quick roll to her left, she evaded the monster's attack, said thing smashed into the cobblestone like a cannonball.

When the dust cleared, Nightmare saw the monster. It stood nearly eleven feet tall, its body shrouded in black and silver armor, two large tusk-like horns sprouted from the sides of the creature's muzzle and curved over its forehead. Two sets of red eyes glared at her, sending a chill down her spine. A spiked collar rose over its shoulders, adding to the spines decorating its back. Its legs were shaped like a ponies, double jointed, but they ended in massive hooves with small sharp claws.

Nightmare took it her attacker's appearance once more, barely able to conger up a single word. "W-what a-are you?"

The monster smiled behind its mask. "A distraction."

"Wh-?" Was all she could get out before another armored fist struck her from behind.

The sound of popping knuckles could be heard along with a gleeful chuckle, a feminine voice soon following. "Ah, it's been a long time since I've had the privilege to do proper battle."

Nightmare got onto her hands and knees in time to see her secondary attacker. Like something from her worst nightmare, a giant nine foot insectoid monster stood over her. Two orange eyes glared down at her, the creature's body covered in black armor with forest green highlights. Four wickedly bladed arms lay at the creature's sides, sharp claws flexing in eagerness for an oncoming fight. In the creature's lower right claw, it held some horrible weapon, like a crossbow.

"And what of the sparing we've done, Gorast?" Said the larger of the two, his four eyes settling on the other. "Did they count for nothing?"

Gorast rolled her eyes at Valkaan. "While they were good to pass the time, I've been itching for a battle. And another thing--"

Gorast was interrupted by Nightmare teleporting away in a flash of light, struggling to stand as she leaned against the courtyard's fountain. "Oh look, she teleported. How cute."

In a distortion of space, like a blackhole sucking them up from the inside, both Makuta teleported in front of the mare. The startled Nightmare shrieked and stumbled back, bumping into a suit of armor.

"So much darkness in this one." Came a chilling mechanical voice from behind the mare, causing her to turn around and look upon the armor. She gasped in horror as her slitted teal eyes met solid crimson. "Yet, there remains a spark of light in that cold shell... just like us."

"Icarax." Valkaan said in a warning tone, stepping forward, his large feet crushing the cobblestone beneath. "While she may have been attacking, we still don't know to full story of what happened here. We keep her contained, but we don't kill her."

"For now at least." Grumbled the crimson and black Makuta, gripping his spear tighter.

"Brothers, sister!" Shouted a voice from inside the fortress. Once everyone turned to face the newcomer, they saw a blue and silver dragon-like Makuta, her lime green eyes shimmering in the night. She possessed a pair of wings along her back, a long lashing tail behind her. One could describe her mask as Hordika based, with narrow eye sockets and the rahi-like snout. But what through most off about her were her hands. She didn't have any. Only two scrappy gray hooks.

"The white one, Queen Celestia, is awake. Miserix says to bring the dark one, Luna." She then turned about and walked back into the fortress.

All three remaining Makuta looked down at the mare in question, all eight pairs of eyes on her.

"So..." Valkaan spoke up, looking at the others. "Who wants to volunteer?"

"I will." Said Icarax, his red eyes falling on the mare as he grasped her arm. "Come with me and I won't burn a hole through your... skull. Either that... or I could just--"

Suddenly, Nightmare Moon teleported away and reappeared inside the throne room of her rightful castle, desperate to get away from the psychopath of a monster. But upon looking around, she saw even more monsters. A small army of them. Each with red or green eyes staring at her. Lidless and filled with darkness. Darkness that even rivaled her own power.

"LUNA!" Celestia desperately called to her younger sister from her center of the room, standing alongside the resting place of the Elements of Harmony. "Please. Please come back to me!"

"NO!!" Celestia recoiled at Nightmare's shout, tears in her eyes as her little sister continued. "For too many years I've been shunned by your subjects. NO MORE!! I've been sitting in your shadow too long, dear sister."

Celestia was on her knees now, staring at her sister in shock. "Bu-but..."

"NO BUTS! I will not stand by as the little ponies worship you as a goddess and me as the devil!! I will not!!" With that, Nightmare began to hover above the ground as her eyes grew to shining white, dark power radiating off her in waves. "I will have ULTIMATE POWER!!"

With even more tears, Celestia drew the Elements from their stands, letting them surround her in a circle. The Makuta, watching the whole display, stepped forward to assist. But Celestia put up a hand, silently asking them to stay back. Miserix, the hulking red and silver dragon, nodded and motioned for the others to back off. They did so right as Valkaan, Gorast, and Icarax joined the gathering, watching the two sisters in a stalemate.

The Elements began charging, their light intensifying. "I'm so sorry Luna."

Celestia let a tear roll down her eye as she Elements had finished charging and Nightmare had lost her patience. The former princess charged at her sister with lightening in her hands, horn ablaze. But the Elements wouldn't have it, with a loud hum, the six stones released a powerful beam of multicolored energy. Nightmare's eyes widened upon seeing the beam rushing toward her. The now frightened mare scrambled backward, but was too slow and was caught by the beam. She was sent sailing up into the sky, above the clouds and above the stars, toward her full moon.

"Forgive me, Luna." Celestia whispered with her hand clasped to her aching heart, falling to her knees. An image of an alicorn appeared on the moon, a single crater at the tip of the tip of the horn. "Forgive me."

Miserix watched the alicorn for a moment, knowing the feeling of losing a sibling to the darkness of their own self. He soon stepped forward and shifted into his original form; a ten foot Makuta of red and silver with a fanged and horned mask. With his shadow staff in his left hand, he gently placed his right on the alicorn's shoulder, trying to sooth her.

"It is said that time heals all wounds," Said the Makuta Leader, his eyes gaining an air of sorrow. "Though, I fear that this wound can't be healed by only time."

Celestia looked up to see the Makuta, looking over him for the first true time. After a moment, she replied. "Y-yes. I feel that I will need to be reunited with her for my scar to be healed."

Miserix nodded as he stood, helping the alicorn to her hooves. "And we will help you for the time being, if you'll allow us to."

The alicorn stood, smiling at the Makuta with kindness as she wiped her tears away. "Yes, I would appreciate that. And you are all welcome to stay as long as you wish, provided that no harm befalls my subjects."

"That is our purpose." Said Valkaan as he stepped forward, towering over the two. "We guard and protect, seek and destroy."

"And if I may ask, what are you? You are certainly not ponies."

Miserix gave Valkaan a warning look, psychically telling him that they would talk later. "We are the Makuta."

Celestia smiled, stretching out her arms in a welcoming manner. "Then welcome, Makuta, to Equestria. But..."

The Queen took a moment to look around, seeing her beloved home reduced to shambles. "I will need a new castle and village for me and my subjects."

A crimson and black bat-like Makuta stepped forward, flexing the wings along his back. With a nod to Miserix, Antroz spoke. "I believe we can help with that."