• Published 23rd Jul 2019
  • 480 Views, 6 Comments

Complex or Shallow? - Draxonos135



Sonata helps Scootaloo deal with the "it's a kids show" stigma.

  • ...
2
 6
 480

Complex or Shallow?

Sonata Dusk leisurely walked back home while humming a familiar tune, moving her head to the rhytim of said tune. But then, she stopped, and her ponytail perked up.

Her "someone's upset and I may be able to help him or her" sense were tingling.

Sonata looked across the scenery for the source of the upset emotion that had caught her attention. She looked at the sky, she looked at the ground, she looked at the little girl sitting on a bench with a frown-

Okay, maybe the third one was as far as she had to look.

"Hey there!" Sonata greeted as she calmly walked to the girl. "I couldn't help but notice that-"

"You're one of the sirens!" the girl screamed once she glanced at Sonata, backing away until she fell on her butt. "Don't get any closer, I'll call the police!"

"Right, me and my bandmates have a reputation, I should've known I couldn't just walk up to you like nothing," Sonata remarked, gently hitting her head. She walked up to the girl and extended her hand towards her. "But, think about it: our gems were broken, and with them gone, we can neither control your mind with music nor absorb your negative emotions. I have nothing to gain from messing with you like we used to do-"

"You could still manipulate me into doing immoral things," the girl stated, backing away a bit more. "Just like you and your friend did it back in the battle of the bands!"

"Geez, people are really determined to not let us forget about that, are they?" Sonata took a deep breath and put a hand on her hip. "Look, I have nothing to gain from you if I pester you, and I can't just walk away when there's somebody feeling negative around, so just humor me and let me help you!"

The girl glanced at the siren, then at her hand, and finally took a deep breath before she grabbed her hand and got up. "I guess I might as well give it a shot, not like anybody else has been a big help to me anyway. Name's Scootaloo, by the way."

"Sonata Dusk!" Sonata chirped. She brought the girl back to the bench, and they sat down together. "Now, how about you tell me what's wrong, and I'll see if I can help you with it?"

"Well-" Scootaloo hesitated as Sonata ran her hand through her hair. Repeatedly, but affectionately. "First, could you please stop doing that? You're making me uncomfortable."

"Sorry, it's a force of habit," Sonata said, before she kept running her hand through Scootaloo's hair. "Besides, I've read that people like it when someone brushes their hair like this. Something about it having a calming effect or something."

"Well, I can't tell you that what you read was wrong... but that's besides the point," Scootaloo took a deep breath. "You see, a week or so ago, I learned that the Power Ponies' current series is about to have its hour long series finale, and neither of my friends are available to come watch it with me... are you following so far?"

"Yeah, except for one thing," Sonata smiled sheepishly. "I don't really know what's this "Power Ponies" thing you're talking about."

"You're dead to me," Scootaloo scowled. "But anyway, I tried to see if any of my other friends would be available instead, but they all refused to come with me, saying that Power Ponies was a kids show that I should've outgrown years ago."

"Oh really?" Sonata's tone slowly grew angrier. "What do your friends watch then?"

"They told me they watch adult stuff, or at least, young adult stuff," Scootaloo looked at the sky as she began counting. "You know, Dhampyr Diaries, The Chimpsons, Breaking Mad-"

Sonata turned her head and spat in disgust, "They watch garbage like that and they think they can tell you that Power Ponies is a kids show?"

Scootaloo raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so angry all of a sudden?"

"Look, I may not have seen Power Ponies, but I have seen those shows you mentioned, and they're not exactly quality entertainment," Sonata shook her head. "The Chimpsons could've easily worked as a kids series, and it has some good morals and plots, but Dhampyr Diaries? A bland vampire show with pretty boy protagonists, just like the other thousands around. Breaking Mad? An exercise in trying to brainwash people to think insanity and drugs are cool. It's not even a fun exercise: it can be a chore to get through at both best and worst!"

"Sounds like you didn't like those shows one bit," Scootaloo raised an eyebrow. "But still, it could just be you, right? I mean, they told me that's the stuff most people are watching nowadays-"

"The young people of this generation are wasting their time and their minds watching stuff that's mediocre at best, awful at worst," Sonata rubbed her forehead. "I'm not even part of this world's naturally-born humans, and yet I feel sorry for them."

Scootaloo let out a chuckle, catching Sonata's attention. "What's so funny?"

"You're totally talking like an old woman right now," Scootaloo answered. "And you're acting just like my aunt: complaining about how everybody's wasting their time watching bad stuff whenever she can."

"Well I'll let you know I'm several centuries older than your auntie, darling!" Sonata replied, imitating an old woman's voice to the best of her ability. "Even I have the right to be old and cranky every once in a while!"

Both girls burst out laughing, which slowed down slightly soon afterwards before it stopped, letting the pair relaxed as they heard some birds chirping in the distance.

"I've been here long enough, my aunts are probably waiting for me right now," Scootaloo said as she stood up and dusted herself. "Anyway, thanks for hearing me out, Sonata. I would've liked it if you had given me some advice on how to deal with this stuff, though-"

"The only advice I can tell you is a simple statement," Sonata replied, catching Scootaloo off-guard. "Just as how there are many mindless kid shows, there are just as many mindless "adult" shows."

Sonata threw a wink at Scootaloo. "Besides, your friends sounds like they're stuck in the majority: sheep repeating what they heard 'cause they think it's cool. Shouldn't you be happy that you're part of the minority? Part of the people who actually have their own individual likes and dislikes?"

Scootaloo smiled a little and saved her hands on her pockets. "I guess I will try to be happy about that from now on. Again, thanks for hearing me out."

Sonata stood up and nodded, and the girls went their separate ways, leaving with a sensation of satisfaction within them.

Author's Note:

Well, this certainly came out of nowhere. XD

I wanted to try and write something about Sonata and Scootaloo talking about the difference between something simple yet deep, or complex yet shallo, but it devolved into Sonata and Scootaloo just talking with each other.

I sure hope that still counts as entertaining XD

Draxonos135, flying away!

Comments ( 6 )

Nice little soapbox there. Cute interaction though, and this Sonata is something I can definitely support!

9746135
It's nice to see Sonata not be dumb for once, right?

This brings up an interesting idea. The Dazzlings did once feed off negative emotions, so it would sort of make sense they could still sense strong ones from people, even if they could no longer feed on it.

I think it would have been a little better if they had gone into one or two specific points, like how in the better kids shows, they help children understand certain issues and how to deal with them, while the adult ones use similar concepts for shock value. But that's just a personal preference.

9746293
I totally wanted to do that, but it completely slipped my mind. Sorry.

9746216 Yeah, definitely. I always wished that instead of one-sided comic relief she could have had some depth to her. I really liked her in Sunset's Backstage Pass for teasing Aria about the magic of vocal editing. More stuff like that would have been really welcome, because right now her WHOLE character is "Backup Singer #2 who likes tacos." The idea that she has the ability to sense strong emotions without her jewel would make for an interesting redemption story where she learns to use it for helping people. It'd be like a vampire looking for a cure to disease spread through blood.

9747720
I like to think all three sirens have this ability, they just deal with it differently.

Login or register to comment