• Published 21st Apr 2019
  • 2,967 Views, 40 Comments

Fizzle Popped Berrytwist - Evergreen_The_Horse



Tempest, now living peaceful in Ponyville, explains how her life is taking a turn for the better after the Storm King's demise.

  • ...
4
 40
 2,967

Feeling Like Family

My walks through town had become much more positive than when I first moved in. I caught no nasty glares, ponies weren't keeping their distance, and everypony was just so much nicer. Some passersby would flash a smile or a wave, some would go on to say friendly comments as they passed like 'Good morning!’ or 'Hey, Fizzlepop!’. It was nice, this town was nice. Friends were nice.

I knew none of them personally but you'd be surprised on how often you'd recognize and properly name the ponies here, just like they do for me. Even if you didn't know them, this town was so small that you'd feel like you knew them by heart. Like a small community you got to see every day.

Looking over to a mailbox, you'd see a gray and cross eyed pegasus mare delivering mail named Ditzy Doo, more commonly known as Derpy Hooves. She definitely wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, mostly due to her eye problem. But she was a sweetheart and ponies loved her for it. Brave too, taking the crystalizer I'd kicked towards Twilight back when I attacked Canterlot. I still feel really bad about that when I think back on it, the sweet thing didn't deserve it.

If you happen to walk by them, you'll usually see these two together more often than not. A pair of mares, one a mint green unicorn, the other a light yellow coated and dark blue and magenta maned earth pony. Lyra and Bonbon, I believe their names were. Best friends, as far as I knew. If one was present, the other usually wasn't far behind.

Up in the sky, you would see uniformed pegusi flying high and fast. The Wonderbolts. They were famous here and Cloudsdale and a team that every pegasus hoped to join. I couldn't recognize them from uniform looks alone but I had gone to a show or two that had featured them. Spitfire, Sorin, Fleetfoot, I believe even Rainbow Dash was one. They were definitely impressive.

There were a lot more, but you don't typically start to see any ponies once you start heading outside of town. Once you hit a dirt road, the only thing you'll see is clear skies, feel the clam breeze, and trees. Lots and lots of trees. Soon enough, you find a bright red barn and hills of apple trees. This was Sweet Apple Acres, my part time job.

When I first moved in, I thought that I needed to find some way to earn bits. While Twilight gave me a generous amount, it all practically vanished when I rented the house. At the time, I still wasn't fully welcomed back to pony kind. So to get a pay, I asked one of the only ponies who forgave me at the time if I could do a bit of manual labor for some bits. Applejack.

She was happy I was willing to help, saying that the Apple family loves all the help they can get. Typical farm stuff, or at least everything I think is typical on a farm. Cow milking, pig feeding, and most of all… apple bucking. It was quite the hard working life but one I was happy in participating in.

I had walked through the arches that welcomed you into the cozy southern landscape. It was quite the sight in the early morning. All the Apple family members were already up and at ‘em. Guess what they say about farmers is true, they're always the early risers.

As I approached the household of the farm, I could see a little yellow coated and red maned filly with a big red bow on the back of her head. A little filly I had come to fully regret sticking in a cage after the attack on Canterlot. Applebloom was Applejack's youngest sister, and probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen. She was currently laughing and playing with the family dog. I smiled, she was so innocent. Strong too, she worked just as hard as every other member of this family. I could tell she was going to grow up into a fine mare.

Watching over her was Applejack herself, just a few feet away. She was currently strapping something to the back of a large red stallion. That was her big brother, Big Macintosh. I actually don't know that much about him other than he's a very quiet stallion of few words. But he's still very nice, a gentle giant you might say.

Applejack had finished attaching a wheelbarrow to Big Mac and sent him on his way back into the apple fields. She turned to me and smiled, walking up and closing the distance to me. “Ahh Fizzlepop, there ya are! Wuz thinkin’ you'd never come. You sleep in again?” She said with a smile and a raised eyebrow.

I nervously laughed. “Not exactly. Got a bit too comfy on my couch and just started… thinking.” It was the truth. I, more often than not, am always slightly late to a harvest day. I was lucky Applejack was a reasonable pony, I would have been fired from any other job for my late discrepancies.

She chuckled. “Ah swear, girl. You need an alarm clock!”

“Oh trust me, this little guy is all the alarm I need.” I joked, pointing to my foal bump.

We had a laugh as we walked towards the orchards. I had dropped off my saddlebag at the barn. I could see buckets of apples were deposited there already, they were most likely already harvested from earlier. I should have been here at the break of dawn, for all I knew they were already done with the harvest for today. But lucky for me, they were only halfway through.

“Alright, Fizzlepop. Y'all should know the drill by now. We already have sum buckets under them trees so all ya have t’ do iz buck ‘em! Simple enough, right?” She said as we trotted along the trail to the apple orchard.

“Heh, when has anything not been simple for me?” I countered.

“Ah don't know, you sure had a hard time catching us way back when. Why, we were like a needle in a haystack fer you and yer army.” She playfully jabbed.

I just laughed it off. I looked at comments like that in a more positive and playful light now. If I was as cold-hearted as before, I would have wasted no time knocking her lights out with a blast from my broken horn. But I've come to learn to let loose, and learn that friends will make playful pokes. I should know coming from her, she and Rainbow apparently made jabs at each other all the time.

Once we had reached the unharvested part of the orchard, Applejack had entrusted that I know the ropes by now and left for more chores on the farm. With that, I had gotten to work. Giving my first tree of the day a good, single, back-hoofed buck. The apples nestled on the branches promptly falling on command into the buckets below.

Most ponies would say that a pregnant mare shouldn't be working in a field. But I say 'Ha!’. I’m still pretty young, and just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I forgot my way around kicking. My lack of a horn pushed me to become as experienced as an earth pony when it comes to physical strength and durability. Kicking and jumping and sliding without magic was hard. These trees? Definitely nothing I couldn't handle. Besides, these legs still had their 'Commander Tempest’ switch to give my kicks some real power if needed.

I had spent the next hour and a half focusing on applebucking. It sure was a work out, but it was definitely healthy. Staying active was a good way to stay fit in my condition, I believe it's even healthy for the foal if the mother stays active.

But I'm always sure to not overexert myself. Too much activity or intensity is definitely bad. It's why I only use one leg when I buck. Maybe if I was still the hotheaded, sociopathic commander I was back then, I wouldn't think twice about pushing myself. But I can't now. This foal… it's too important to me. For my mental state. For my new life.

So after about an hour and with one last buck to my last tree of the day, I decided that was all my foal and I could handle for now. I rested my side to the tree I had just bucked and slowly inched my way down to the ground, clutching my stomach with care until I was on my side next to the base of the tree. I gave a big sigh of exhaustion for a job well done. My coat was matted in sweat, but the mix of the shade of the tree and the gentle breeze was just perfect to cool me down.

I looked out across my work. Rows of trees now bucked and stripped of their apples, the buckets below full of proof of my hard work. “Heh, these legs still got it.” I proudly said to myself with a smile.

“Ahhh…” I sighed and laid my head down. After a good long hour of working, nothing felt better than to let your bones just rest. The only thing that could make this better would be a good snack.

“Hey, Fizzlepop! Ah got sum good eatin’ for ya!”

Speak of the dark pony. I opened my eyes, I could see Applejack walking up with a wooden wheelbarrow attached to her back. It was full of apple fritters! I licked my lips, I could already feel my foal start to move in anticipation, just begging for that treat. She closed in, looking around and examining my work.

“Hoo-wee! You sure do a bang up job, Fizz. And all with a bun in the oven! You sure you ain't an Apple in disguise?” She joked, though I'm sure she was a bit serious.

I chuckled. “Eh, it wasn't anything. Former commander, remember? Kicking is second nature to me.”

“Well, a job like this deserves an extra reward. Ah already put the bits in yer saddlebag back at the barn, but Ah thought Ah'd give ya a lil’ somethin’ extra today.” She unhooked the handles attached to her sides and waved a hoof to the fritters. “Granny Smith made 'em herself. Help yerself! Y'all earned it!”

I gave a smile and got up. I walked over to the wheelbarrow, just fawning over the delicious treats. “Wow… all for me?” I asked.

“All fer you! Well… the both of yas, heh. You two must be starvin’ after all that work.” She said, gesturing to my foal bump.

“Thank you.” I kindly said. It still baffled me how these ponies I've tried to harm and capture; who's innocent family I put in chains; who's lives I tried to ruin; were treating me like a proper friend. I didn't pay it much mind though, my foal and I were hungry. I leaned my head in to take a fritter, but was stopped by a sudden yell.

“Applejack! Hey Applejack!”

We both turned to who the source was, though it was quite obvious with the young tone and accent accompanying it. A little yellow filly was running towards us, Applebloom. She stopped in front of us and gave an innocent smile. “Yes, Applebloom?” Applejack said.

“Ah uh… Ah was wundering if Ah could have anuther fritter.” She said with a small blush.

“Another?! You had about ten jus’ 'fore I left t’ check on Fizzle!” Applejack countered.

“Aww come on! Pleeease? They're soooo good!” She begged.

Applejack then looked over to me and smirked. “Sorry AB, but Ah'm 'frade whether or not to give ya one ain't mah decision no more. They're in possession of Fizzlepop now, so yer gonna have to ask her.”

My eyes widened a bit as I looked over to Applejack. She winked at me and nodded her head towards Applebloom. I turned to looked to her, she was looking up at me with some big puppy eyes and a nervous expression. “U-uhm… C-Can Ah have anuther fritter, Miss Fizzlepop?”

Seeing Applebloom like that made my heart melt. I can't believe I was such a cold and cruel pony to take such an innocent filly hostage and separate her from her family. All for some stupid horn, which I had no true guarantee to get back. I was such a damned fool back then. I couldn't not say no to her, especially after all I've done to her.

I slightly crouched down and got to eye level with her and looked her straight in the eye. I gave a warm and reassuring smile. “Of course, Applebloom. Help yourself.”

She gasped and gave a wide smile. “Yay!” She squealed out. She happily took one of the fritters from the wheelbarrow into her mouth. I laughed as she eagerly scarfed it down with delight.

I felt something pulse in heart when I saw her like that. I was happy with the fact that I made her happy, made this little filly smile. Is… is this what motherhood feels like? Am I going to feel this joy every time I make my foal smile? When I make him or her happy? I didn't know for sure, but it only made me more excited to bring my foal into the world. To give them a good life. To be a changed pony, who was a very, very happy mother.

Applebloom finished her treat and looked up at me with a beaming smile. “Thank you, Auntie Fizzlepop! See you, later!” My eyes widened and my heart skipped a beat. With that, she ran off back to the barn, but I was frozen in shock by her comment. Auntie? I… I was like an aunt to her?

Applejack looked on as her little sister ran off, giving a giggle. “Hehe! Ah knew you'd handle that well. Consider that a small trainin’ session for when you got the real deal on her hooves.” Applejack said. She looked over to me. All I was doing was staring off into space, into the direction Applebloom had ran. Blankly, silent.

I had forgotten how to form words. Maybe if the comment was from an actual family member, I wouldn't be reacting this way but… how could this sweet little filly who's family and home I terrorized see me as an aunt? My mouth hung slightly agape, yet I was unable to even make a peep. Applejack finally spoke up and snapped me out of it. “Fizzlepop? You alright, sugarcube?”

I blinked a few times, finally coming out of my state. I looked over to her, my puzzled look still plastered on my face. “Huh? Oh… yeah! Yeah, I'm fine…”

“Really? You don't look it. What's up?” She asked.

I tapped my hoof to the ground in anxiousness. But I eventually got the words out. “She… she said 'Auntie’ Fizzlepop. Why did she say that? She's always called me ‘Miss’. I don't…” I was confused. I didn't know if I loved or hated it. This filly whom I adored yet had no blood relation to had called me such an… associative title. So suddenly as well.

Applejack just chuckled. “Why? You didn' not like it, did ya?”

“Well I just… I've never had someone address me like that.” I admitted, more sheepishly than I had wished.

Applejack crooked her head. “Really? You don't got no brothers er sisters with any younguns?”

I looked down at the ground. “No. I… I think I was an only child.” I held on to that thought for a moment. Was I? Jeez, how long has it been since I've properly thought back to my childhood?

“Well, what about yer parents? Surely you remember the ponies who brought ya into th’ world.” Applejack asked.

My eyes widened. I looked away from her and bit my lip. My parents? Who… who were my parents? I closed my eyes and thought long and hard, trying to remember their faces, their voices, their... damn it.

I gave a big sigh and shook my head. “I… I don't remember them.” I admitted with guilt.

Applejack's eyes widened. “What?! Fizzlepop, are you serious?! You… you really don't remember your own kin?”

I slightly bushed, looking down at the ground in shame. “I think… I think I kinda blocked everything out after I lost my horn. My childhood may have been great for all I know up until that point. But… I just…” I put a hoof to my forehead, rubbing my temple and trying to remember something, anything!

“...I just can't remember.”

We both went silent, a mix of awkwardness and sadness now twinging in the air. I could practically feel Applejack's disbelief course through my veins as she stared at me. She was a family mare, family meant absolutely everything to her. But I bet she's never come across somepony like me.

I clutched my foal bump and carefully laid myself down on the ground. Why was I kind of ashamed? Why did I feel… empty now that I'm realizing this? Do I really not remember my family? Did I really turn that stone cold when I left my home? To not remember a single ounce of what my family was like? I could barely believe myself. I was… familyless.

Applejack had stood there for a good minute, assessing the mood and my confession. It's was deafly silent between us, the only sound that could be heard was the ruffling of the tree's leaves in the wind. All until Applejack spoke up. “Well…” she started off.

I finally mustered up the courage to look over to her. She walked to my side and layed down with me. She continued. “Ya recall what Applebloom jus’ called you?”

“Y-yeah, 'Auntie’. Why?” I asked.

“You know why she called you that?” She asked me. I thought for a second. Why did she call me that? “Reckon yer drawin’ a blank, eh? It's kinda obvious, Fizz.” She said.

“Wh-what is it? Surely you don't mean I'm…” I nervously said. The Apples didn't really see me this way, did they? How could they? How could I, the pony who stopped at nothing to ruin their lives, see me as… f-fam…

“Yer like family, Fizzle. That's what we mean.” She stated, quite nonchalantly and matter-of-fact. She stared at me, watching my reactions. Her eyes were cool and reassuring, so why did I feel so uncomfortable and nervous? She wasn't being for real, was she? No, of course she was, she is the Element of Honesty after all. She was dead serious!

I stared back to Applejack with an intense blush, this was so new to me. I was being… fully accepted as family! “But… but why?!” I stood up, still staring at her. “I was a tyrant, a menace! I locked your little sister in a cage. I enslaved and forced your brother to do heavy lifting. I forced your sweet grandma to make food for my army, for Celestia's sake! How do you guys not resent me?”

Applejack just stared at me, but then started to chuckle. That chuckle evolved into a full on laugh. I stared, dumbfoundedly. This whole thing, Applebloom calling me 'Auntie’, me realizing I have no family, and now the fact that the Apples actually see me as family? These feelings… they were so new. I didn't know how to handle them. And now Applejack was laughing at me for this? I didn't know what to think. But Applejack soon came down from her laughing high.

“Hoo-wee! You sure are funny, Fizzlepop! Sugarcube…” She got up and stood in front of me, so that we both were face to face. “Think about it. That whole ordeal, you being commander and all that hooey, that wuz past you. That wuz the Storm King usin' you. And we realize that. Ah told my family not to resent ya, Ah told 'em to treat you like family. Sure, they were a bit cold to ya at first, but look how quickly they warmed up to ya! You get along great with Applebloom, and th’ fact that you willingly help out on the farm means a lot t’ us. No one, not even the other Elements, help out on th’ farm as much as you have. Granted, they all have more important stuff t’ do, but we've never seen somepony as dedicated to th’ farm as you are! Even if it's for part time pay. You ain't an Apple, but ya sure have the heart of one. And you can believe me when Ah say this, Ah'm not the Element of Honesty fer nothin’, heh-heh!” She gave a big, warm smile at the end of her speech.

Upon hearing her speech, I suddenly felt all of my questions and unanswered feelings vanish. I felt relaxed, as if I had overreacted about this whole thing. They… they really did see me as family. After all I had done, they still accepted me. Not as a friend, but someone who was happy to work with them, to interact with them. To be with them. I looked to her with the biggest smile possible. “Th-Thank you, Applejack.”

“Its no problem, Fizzlepop. And hey...” Applejack said. “Since we've figured out that you got no recollection of yer real family… the Apples got no qualms takin’ you in fer real.” She gently said with a welcoming smile.

“Wait… you mean… for real? Like… for real, for real?” I asked.

She just laughed. “Whaddya think I mean? Of course! We can't just leave you and yer foal all by yer lonesomes. We'd be happy t’ take you in, step relatives if you want to see it that way!”

I raised a hoof to my quivering lips, I could feel my eyes welling up. This was all happening so fast. I've realized that I may never know my real family, but gained a new one in the same day. I had found a new family, a family that I loved to help, a family that my foal could interact and play with. This feeling… I knew exactly what this feeling was. It was… happiness. Joy.

I wasted no time leaning in to hug Applejack tightly. Tears of joy finding their way down my cheeks. I gave an odd mix of light sobs and joyful laughs. But these new feelings, these feelings I've never felt since I lost my horn, I loved them. “Thank you, Applejack! Thank you and the Apples so much!”

“Naw…” she wrapped her hooves around me. “Thank you, Fizzlepop.”

“Welcome to the family.”


After I had composed myself, me and Applejack had walked out of the orchard with the biggest smiles imaginable. I looked on over to the barn and the farm house. Granny Smith was in a rocking chair, smiling and laughing as she watched Applebloom ride on top of Big Mac's back. They all looked so happy, just like I was to now be a part of them. But unfortunately, other plans for the day had me too occupied to stay. I got my saddlebag, gave my friendly goodbyes, and headed off. The Apples waving me goodbye.

The sun was still high in the sky, and the day was still only just beginning. This was the best start to a day I could have ever wished for.

And it was only going to get better. For I had a meet up with one of the most stylish ponies in Equestria.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed the second chapter of Fizzle Popped Berrytwist!
Now, I only have want thing to address and ask. But before that, I want to remind everyone that this is purely ment to be a feel good story. BUT, I want to ask you guys for opinions... Is there such a thing as being too feel good? If so, I can try to tone it back. I know that stories like this can get too mushy for people, this chapter in particular could be a good example of that. So please let me know if I need to improve.
But that's all I wanted to ask. I will see you guys on the next chapter! Like, fav, and please give a comment or constructive criticism if you got any! I love feedback, so any is welcome! :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 20 )

Awwwww...

Just seeing how Fizzy's life has changed in such a short time, and being adopted into the Apple Family? Just warmed my heart...

And no, in this case, I don't think there is such a thing as too feel good.

9606430
Ahh, ok good. I'm pretty happy about the chapter, but I was worried it might be kinda mushy for certain people. And even if it is, I still just want to envoke some happy feels from people.
Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far!

9606471
You just keep doing what you're doing okay? (And Thunderlane, you better come back and take some responsibility for fathering a child!)

I loved it! I find it nice how everypony Greets and helps each other, no matter what. And i like how Apple Bloom sees her as aunt.

Apple bucking, i don't Think its hard Work, thus a Problem for a pregnant mare.

Such a sweet chapter. But I do hope that they help Fizzy track down her birth family some day.

If you don't mind me asking, have you ever considered giving Tempest a love interest at some point?

9611073
That's a secret for now. All I'll say is I do have something of the sort planned for the ending ;)

Alright everyone, took a very brief break from fics to finish up my finals. Now that I'm done with them, time to get back to writing. Officially starting the next chapter, hope you guys are looking forward to ch. 3!

Hey peeps, as of the moment I'm writing this comment, FPB is on a short hiatus. I explain everything in my recent blog post.
https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/859463/fizzle-popped-berrytwist-is-going-on-a-short-hiatus
Basically, I'm just feeling a bit burned out on it. I'm not stopping it, but I certainly need a break from it. Sorry about that people! Hope you pones can understand :applecry:
But I will return to it in due time, so just be patient!

9671205
Well I'm honored to be the writer of the forest for you've read on here! That really does mean a lot!
Sad to say this story is currently on hiatus, but I'm not stopping it! Should be back to it in a few weeks or so, hopefully.
But it means a lot this was your first story on here. I'm greatful I've given you a good welcome into this community :pinkiehappy:

Hello, everyone! Just wanted to say that I'll be getting back to this story real soon. My current lewd fic is taking a bit longer than I expected but after I'm done with it, I'll be getting straight back to this one. So keep tight! Fizzle's wholesome story will continue soon!

Hello everyone!
Forgive me for the long delay on this fic, I promise I'm getting back to it! I've had a bit of a writters block as of late but I think I found a solution! So let it be known that my fics will be coming back soon, including this one! Thank you Pones for being patient :twilightsmile:

It's been two years, it would hurt less if this story was canceled rather than on indefinite hiatus.

10783402
Hello Spider-Brony
Yeeeeah, trust me. I'm in a huge fic funk rn. I've kinda just... Lost a drive? I start something, do a few paragraphs, and then just... never pick them back up.
I really, really want to get back into things, hence why I haven't updated this story. I really do want to get back into the swing of things but it's really hard. But hopefully, with some help from a friend or two, I'll be back in the game. It's been a long, looooong hiatus but I do want to get back into fic writing.
I understand your frustrations though. I actually thought about this fic just yesterday so trust me, it's still in my mind. Fic writing still is. I just need to sort things out and find my way again. I know is very selfish of me to say, but I hope you and everyone else who still knows I exist on here can hold out until then. Even if I sadly can't give a specific comeback date.
Thank you for commenting though, knowing someone still comes back to check this fic, that legit makes me happy and gives me a tiny bit of hope to get back into things.

Awww that was so sweet of apple jack to help fizzle pop berry twist it made me so happy that it made me cry tears of happiness not long ago tempest shadow was the commander of the storm kings army but was defeated by the mane six also known as the elements of harmony laughter generosity loyalty honesty kindness and magic pinkie pie is the element of laughter rarity is the element of generosity rainbow dash is the element of loyalty apple jack is the element of honesty Fluttershy is the element of kindness and princess twilight sparkle is the element of magic pinkie pie is a earth pony so is apple jack rainbow dash is a pegasus and so is Fluttershy rarity is a unicorn and twilight sparkle is a alicorn princess

Please write more of the story is was a good one that i really liked please please please do more than two chapters I love a good story really I need to know I just want you to know I'm a very good reader I love stories that'll warm someone's heart and I will do anything to read more of your story so let me know when you're ready for the next chapter and so on I must read the whole story I really don't want the story to be over that's not nice to leave your readers hanging

It's been two years since you did chapter two come on and do another one I'm begging you please don't cancel the story

11122247
Hey there.
First off, very appreciative that you like everything in this fic so far. It really does make me happy people still seem to like my stuff. Second, this fic isn't cancelled. Well... Kinds sorta for now. I'm not gonna say it is officially because one day, I really do want to come back to it. But at the moment, I don't think I can. I've been in a huge writers block ever since the entirety of 2020 and ever since, I'll start a fic only to stop and never pick it back up. I've got the ideas and I do have the willingness to start but never get back into it. It's been a perpetual loop for almost 3 years now.
I want it to stop that loop, and I'll keep trying to improve. My personal friends are helping and teaching me new things so, I really want to finish one singular fic myself before I think about coming back to this one. Until then, I can only hope that people still read my stuff and understand my plight at the moment.

But still, thanks for reading my stuff! For your sake and anyone else's who still reads my stuff, I'm trying. And that's the best I can do for now.

Login or register to comment