• Published 26th Feb 2019
  • 16,089 Views, 5,837 Comments

Daily Equestria Life With Monster Girl - Estee



Yesterday, she was a sweet, somewhat old-fashioned exchange student trying to find her place in a strange culture. Today, Centorea Shianus is a new world's greatest terror.

  • ...
83
 5,837
 16,089

PreviousChapters Next
Threatening

Some small part of maintaining their friendship was about being willing to ask the embarrassing questions, and that was something which had to come from both sides.

Doing so was just about equally hard for both mares. The pegasus tended to preface such inquiries with a storm of 'Um's, and the girl had multiple ways of indicating when she was trying to (poorly) sneak up on the border of an awkward subject: even when there was only one pony who had any true knowledge of what her body language meant, more than a few had learned to watch for the rising tide of red suffusing exposed skin.

The two mares recognized that the questions themselves could be painful: the answers frequently made it worse. But they also knew the questions had to be asked. It was the only chance they had to find some true level of understanding, because they were trying to bridge a gap which stretched across worlds. And there were times when both questions and answers made the translator's wires hiss, desperately trying to find terms which would be understood on the other side --

-- but on different occasions, the words would already exist. They just didn't get to find that out unless both question and answer were allowed to reach open air. The terms might not be everyday ones: each had an inadvertent tendency to dip into the deepest recesses of the other's vocabulary. But the mere fact that some form of entry had already claimed part of both dictionaries... it seemed to suggest that there was a chance to claim some level of common ground.

They had to ask the embarrassing questions, even when the words triggered hesitation and blush. Being able to ask meant they were friends. Finding the means to answer was how they stayed that way.

"So. Um. That... gap. At the top of the dress. Well, not the absolute top, because that's your shoulders. Even with..." Feathers awkwardly rustled. "...one of those sort of exposed, it's still... um. The gap in the fabric. That's a place you usually keep covered when you're out in public. Because you always stay covered up. Um. And it's a lot closer to winter now, so even if you wear less when it's warm, that's not now. Not with Homecoming this week. The day after the... um..."

The centaur's hooves pranced somewhat, but did so in one spot: the larger form made no attempt to retreat for any other part of the barracks. There wasn't much point in doing so. The mares both worked and lived together. Any attempt to escape from an inquiry was always going to be temporary and in any case, it felt best to get this one over with.

Cerea tried to keep her gaze calm, patiently regarding Nightwatch even as the inevitable flow of blush infused the lie into her own skin. And she had the option to fold her arms, but that was usually seen as a sign of both defensiveness and impatience --

-- actually, Nightwatch probably hadn't figured out that particular phrase of centaur body language just yet. So Cerea had the freedom to fold her arms as much as she liked. It was just that when she folded them in front of her, there was some awkward angling involved. Or squeezing. The other option was usually squeezing. And currently, there was a third possibility on the partially-occupied table --

"...so. Um. The gap. Where your breasts are exposed. The upper surface." The rustling accelerating. "What that gap is supposed to do, since it's obviously deliberate. It has to be deliberate, because I can see how the edges were hemmed. Um. I'm mostly looking at the edges..."

-- but folding her arms above her breasts would just make it look like she was trying to cut off the view.

A slight breeze began to shift one of the occupants of that table. Light reflected from the more gilded of the two envelopes. It didn't make the papers loom any less.

"What the gap is doing," Nightwatch tried to finish. "It's on purpose. So what's that called? Um. What it's doing. Does that have a name?"

The girl winced. A partially-exposed right shoulder momentarily displayed multiple muscles in tense relief.

"...showing cleavage," Cerea eventually said, and the wires failed to hiss.

"Um. Okay." The pegasus' wings flared, and the black mare took off from her standing position atop the mattress. Got just enough altitude, and carefully looked down at the lace-framed display. "Are you supposed to show that much of it?"

The girl sighed.

Princess Luna had a way with schedules. It was something which, when looked at from the outside, only faintly resembled torture: sure, it may seem as if this clock only has so many hours available, but let's just put a little pressure on it from all sides and we'll see what can be squeezed out! It was a talent which meant that between Lunar Guard duties, citizenship classes, study sessions following the previous, the odd hour in the forge to help Barding get ready for the prospective mass armor refit, and royally-enforced time off because nopony was going to let Cerea work herself into an emergency going-nowhere vacation again....

The centaur would have thought (and had in fact been frantically hoping) that there would have been nothing left over for another fitting session. Princess Luna had a different opinion on the matter and when a silver-clad forehoof was put down, rookie Lunar Guards didn't argue. Neither did the senior ones. Time itself effectively scurried into a shadowed corner because it had just bled out an unexpected extra hour and the wound would require some privacy to heal.

So there had been a late-night teleport to some sort of studio, one where the cool lights were absorbed by multiple waiting bolts of fabric, piled on top of each other in a way which suggested that the landslide was just waiting until the moment when it would be the most funny. The Princess had served as escort. Cerea had taken her clothes off, mostly doing so because there was a dark corona on standby and she knew what the other option was. Her liege had looked away from everything which had just been displayed, eyes closing just as the bra was starting to come off. The earth pony and donkey had not -- well, they hadn't after the trembling finally stopped -- a mobile ramp had been pushed into multiple positions around the centaur's body to allow smaller bodies necessary height, and measurements had happened.

One series of increased numbers had confirmed what Cerea had already known, and those altered statistics had been forwarded to Ms. Garter accordingly. The complete group had been set aside, the two designers had asked her a few questions, she'd gotten dressed, the Princess had teleported her back, and then the girl had done her best not to think about it for a few days. Something else where she'd failed over and over.

But this was the evening when the results had shown up. There were two envelopes, and one of them carried a subtle level of gilt: enough to distinguish it within any group of missives, but nowhere near enough to be ostentatious. A pair of boxes had accompanied them, and one had been from Ms. Garter because the lingerie specialist knew a growing girl when she saw one and had simply been waiting on fresh data.

The other had held the dress: the one which the gilded envelope had made into both necessity and inevitability. And when you received a new dress in the presence of a friend, there seemed to be a certain obligation to try it on and let her make a few comments. Several forms of media had suggested this was proper and since those stories had been coming from multiple continents, it also suggested a global agreement regarding procedure. Additionally, they both had some time before their shift began, Cerea had to inspect the dress through donning it immediately and if things ran long in the barracks, there was a chance to find the locker room empty when they arrived.

It had taken Cerea about three minutes to put the dress on, followed by roughly one extra heartbeat in which to decide she was doomed.

"You've seen me naked," emerged as a form of desperate protest, one which had been mixed with a fervent (unheeded) prayer to make things somehow not be as bad as they seemed. "When there's no taboos. You're used to me!"

"It's different when there's clothing," Nightwatch insisted from mid-hover. "It's more -- enhanced. You're sort of... bubbling up? Um. And... out?"

Which was when the pegasus spotted exactly how far the tide of red had gone, along with the exact shade. There was a lot of blood in a centaur body and judging by the visual display, roughly forty percent of it was currently flowing through the girl's skin.

"Um... hopefully not out? Except that..." The hover carefully shifted backwards. "...even if you don't come out at the front..."

The girl silently buried her face in her hands.

To design a dress of quality for a centaur... it was something which required the creators to look beyond the numbers. Any hope of success was inextricably tied up with a group of facts: there was a homid portion, there was an equine section, and if you couldn't do something which would allow the whole of the body to work in harmony, quit.

The vast majority of human fashion designers in Cerea's world had mostly responded to the existence of liminals by doubling down on their most frequent belief: that there was exactly one body type which any garment wearer should ever possess and if you didn't have it, then you didn't exist. Some of them had continued to insist on that non-existence even when there were dozens of liminal females shouting at them from outside their offices. Certain levels of willful self-blindness required true dedication.

It had left a significant gap in the widened industry: one which, at the time of Cerea's kidnapping, was still being filled in. Liminals designed for themselves and each other -- but that was a business, and very few people had come out of the gaps while bearing significant amounts of acceptable currency. Some banks were issuing loans for those who wanted to try start-ups, but the interest rates tended to be higher than those offered to humans: if you couldn't make an impact in a hurry, then the mounting payments would eventually rise over your head. They were trying to become part of human society, and apparently nothing said the liminals had truly joined the race more than allowing them to drown in debt.

Still, there were a few specialist clothing shops: places where those participating in the great experiment could at least try to get something made. A few humans had even given it a go: when you found your designs roundly rejected by those of your own species, why not try another? And there was almost always a baseline from which to start, because just about every liminal possessed a human aspect. Something about the face, torso, arms... and when you got to someone like Lala, all you needed to do was incorporate a fondness for high collars.

You started from the familiar and then tried to work outwards. And in Equestria, 'the familiar' switched locations to Cerea's equine aspect. Ms. Garter could at least make everyday clothing which worked: something which suggested more of the locals would be capable of adjusting. Begin with what you knew...

They had.

If nothing else, the color arguably worked. The duo had looked at a centaur whose dominant colors were a rich brown, blonde, and a sort of pale peach, then decided to set the whole thing off in light green. The fabric was silk (and Cerea was already waiting for any amount of flop sweat to begin staining it), wonderfully soft against skin and fur. A precision fit had been crafted to drape the full length of her spine, doing so in a way which caressed both upper and lower torsos while smoothly working its way through the transition area. Her upper waist had been exactingly surrounded: room to twist, space to turn without having the dress tighten against her skin. And for color -- the green was well-set, and the designers had taken the further step of working with what they'd decided to treat as an accessory.

The disc would be taken to the party. Cerea had no choice in the matter: whenever she was in public, she had to wear the translator. It meant hardly anypony had ever seen her without thin silver wires against one side of her face. And if she was going to be wearing it anyway, then...

The dress was light green -- but there were narrow streams of glittering silver threaded throughout the length and breadth of the garment. They twisted in gentle patterns suggestive of artificial vines, worked around a few curves while setting off others, and they wove across Cerea's body in a manner which suggested the metal overlaid on her skin was just an extension of the dress. In that, the designers had succeeded.

Which left the problems as Absolutely Everything Else.

For Cerea's human portion? You usually had to go by the tastes of those you were living among and when it came to centaur cleavage, the majority of Japan seemed to prefer an all-and-nothing system: apply all of the fabric and make sure any witnesses saw nothing. (There were ways in which this echoed the fashions of Cerea's herd, because stallions needed very little excuse to attempt a transition from merely looking: the single most important accessory was the fabric loop which carried the weighted baton.) But the newest designers had responded to the existence of a bustline by deciding that everypony else needed to see exactly what most of it looked like. It might have been an attempt to turn the party into a sort of group confrontation therapy: look at them, look at them, we want you to look at them. As it was, Cerea had already been expecting a few of the invited parties to respond to her presence via RSVP: Ready Scram Via Portal. (Actually opening it first was optional.) Any deep breath taken in the dress felt as if it had a chance to push her breasts fully into the open, followed by ramming most of the invited guests out the door: the pegasi might go for the windows. And when she turned to regard her lower torso...

He was into legs.

It was still a bitter thought. From a certain perspective, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Cerea's legs. She'd been examined by a medical team before being allowed to participate in the program, and the farrier had been fully complimentary. But their host had possessed an exploitable fetish, and Lala had been the only one capable of exploiting it.

(Suu's legs were human in shape -- but they were also copies, and the same thing applied to any attempt she appeared to make towards open sexuality: simply duplicating the behavior of others. With Rachnera, the question was whether the arachnae was truly participating in the rivalry: turn to Suu and the query became whether the slime girl even recognized that the competition existed.)

Their host had been into legs. Presumably there were ponies who felt the same way, especially since interests in breasts and arms were going to be rather hard to explain. And the designers, confronted with the length and proportions of Cerea's lower body, had decided to... show off a little.

...a lot.

It was hard to say if the cleavage window (or, to be more accurate about it, the gaping portal to a soft chasm of shadow) was scandalously low-cut, because the girl had yet to see any local species with a bustline and didn't know how much of it they displayed. But she'd seen a few ponies in everyday wear which wasn't their fur, and so she felt safe in assuming that when it came to the dress's hemline, it had been cut scandalously high. Anypony observing her could get a look at her legs. If Cerea moved in exactly the wrong way (and she was still trying to figure out if there was a right one), there was also the chance to get a look at her foreshoulders. The hips would take slightly more effort, but Cerea suspected the few extra millimeters of fabric in that area were mostly present to conceal her lack of mark.

And then you had the buttocks or rather, if Cerea didn't spend the entire night stepping very carefully, you were going to have her buttocks. Given how ponies treated clothing as an optional exercise, the party felt as if it had the potential to be filled with buttocks and somehow, all of them would be hers. Because the designers might have been confused when it came to working with cleavage (or possibly just duplicating the fashion for the local bipeds, none of whom had appeared in front of Cerea to present a size chart with attached bell curve), but they had reacted to buttocks on Cerea's scale through deciding to come within one hasty turn of presenting them to the world.

She had the option to spill out of the front. She stood just about as good a chance to spontaneously pop out of the back.

"Cerea?" The hovering tones were weighted with concern. She appreciated that. At least somepony cared. Nightwatch probably didn't understand exactly what was wrong, but she at least knew when to be worried.

"I don't have a trick valve..."

Strictly speaking, she couldn't see the pegasus turn to look at the back of the dress. She had no real way of feeling it happening. But it felt like a fairly safe assumption to make.

"...oh."

"...panties," the girl wearily muttered into her palms. "I need panties. And some ties. Something I can pass under my barrel to keep this thing from creeping up my flanks. They can see my legs, they can see all of my legs..."

"But you have nice legs!" Nightwatch quickly insisted. "Better than mine --"

"-- it's too much leg!"

Carefully, "Is there really such a thing as too much leg?"

"YES!"

The word echoed for a while.

Eventually, the last vibrations pushed the pegasus back to floor level. She slowly trotted forward, nosed around in the open box. An invoice moved out of the way, and silver flashed.

"There's a scarf in here," she observed. "Um. I think it's a scarf. It's long enough, and the edges have that fringe you usually get on scarves."

The girl's fingers parted just enough for her to peek between them. Her ears drooped.

"Oh, good," she muttered. "A scarf. I can just drape it over myself. All night."

"I think it's mostly meant for when you're traveling to the party," Nightwatch said. "Since it's going to be so cold. I know Ms. Garter was going to send over a heavy jacket --"

"-- all. night."

Neither mare moved for a while. Eventually, the girl's hands lowered. The blush refused to recede.

"I looked at the invitation," Cerea softly moaned. "I... need to be sure I read the date correctly. The party is --"

"-- two nights from now."

The moan got louder.

"And the invitation just arrived!" Clenched hands were now beginning to wring against themselves. "There's no time to send the dress back! To have it really altered or adjusted --"

"-- I think it's because you get so much mail," the pegasus valiantly tried to help. "It takes a lot of time for everypony to sort out the things you should actually see. Even when it's Fancypants, and somepony really should have spotted his crest -- um. It probably just got stuck in processing, Cerea. And I'm sure he would have wanted to give you more notice, but... he'll probably get in the night before. This was probably sent by his staff. He would have delivered it personally if he could, but... at least we've -- got some warning? Um. You've got a really deep moan..."

The centaur took a slow breath. Forced herself to look at the invitation, which took some awkward angling. Most of her lower field of vision was occupied by cleavage, and she was already familiar with the view.

"That line there." A trembling finger pointed. "I've been working on reading numbers. And equations. I think the pun works the same way in both languages. Does that really say --"

"-- it was just a mistake --"

"-- does it really say that?"

The pegasus looked up at heaving breasts and slipping fabric. Reluctantly squinted down at the paper, and read the line aloud.

"'Plus one' -- Cerea, please don't rear back like that! They're bulk-printed, and then somepony fills in the names by mouth! Everypony got that on their invitations, just in case they wanted to bring somepony! Only they would have gotten theirs sooner, because any guests need to be screened by the palace. Um. I know we're doing some screening. And there's ponies Fancypants couldn't have invited, but there's others he sort of had to. There isn't much point to bringing in the ones who are just going to hate you, but when it comes to the ones on the border -- anypony who could still change their mind -- he had to try. It's just really hard to guess who they might invite along, so the Princesses told him that the palace would have the right to reject guests. It's... not really going over well..."

Scrabbling hooves managed to momentarily stabilize.

"Plus one." Which, at least in French, managed to emerge with the exact same tone and cadence as 'I'm dead.'

"You don't have to bring --"

Morbidly, "-- well, it can't be you..."

Silver eyes blinked. "What?"

It was only a smile on technicality. The ghost of mirth, which could only appear after all true humor had died. "You were seen hovering near me during the press conference, and it got your apartment set on fire. I don't want to think about what might happen if I brought you as a date."

The pegasus' lips still quirked.

"I'm afraid I'm busy that night," the mare solemnly said. "Advance commitment, special work shift. You understand."

The centaur did. Nightwatch didn't have a place at the party. The senior Guard's assigned location was just outside it.

Within the capital's culture, Fancypants was something of a celebrity. He had the ability to slip out of it, was less frequently recognized while on the road and could apparently become just about anonymous simply by discarding the monocle for a while -- but when he was in Canterlot, ponies paid attention. He wasn't the sort of pony who could truly hope to host an event in secret, and once the guest list started to come into play -- well, somepony would have talked.

There were topics which the palace's staff was reluctant to discuss around her and that list often seemed to include just about everything under Sun and Moon, which meant it also covered not talking about why everypony treated the words as proper nouns. It was possible that everypony else had known about the date of the party for a while now, with multiple headlines happily informing the whole of Canterlot as to just what was going on and who would be showing up. The supposed guest of honor was potentially the last to get the news, because Cerea still had ponies hiding newspapers wherever she went. She darkly suspected the increasing speed of the removal was directly tied to the palace's growing awareness that eventually, she might be able to read them.

It was possible that Cerea was the last to know (and another shadowed thought wondered if the staff had been trying to cut down on her potential running time). But the capital had the news. Something which came with a date, location, and the fact that for one night, the centaur would be outside the palace and everypony knew where.

The party was what the Princesses saw as Cerea's best chance to make a good impression on Canterlot's upper class. It just happened to double as a massive security risk.

So there were going to be Lunars outside the building. A few would stay closer to the party itself, and those numbers would be reinforced by carefully-chosen members of the police. They would all be watching for trouble, and they expected to find quite a bit of it outside the party. Because the entire capital knew where that was, which meant any truly accurate invitation would have needed to read Plus One Mob.

On the bright side, the palace would get a night off: just about all of the Lunar protestors were guaranteed to gather outside Fancypants' home, and Cerea fully expected them to be joined by a significant portion of the day shift. But the party had to be kept safe. A joint effort between Guards and police, making sure guests could get through without being accosted --


they're beating on the doors


-- and once within, could at least try to pretend things were normal.

A known location was a risk. Any leaked guest list might see the mob subdivide for a day or so, gathering outside the homes of attendees to -- express their opinions on the matter. And there were still ways in which it could become worse, because it was a single night where everypony in the capital knew where Cerea was and...

...it may be the summoners' best chance.

The Princesses had spoken with her about it. That even with all of the security being provided, screenings conducted on every guest... they couldn't be sure. Somepony had called Cerea into this world, and there would be a single night where if so much as a single pony had access to news from the capital, then all of them -- every one of the dozens it had taken to warp the road -- would know exactly where she was. If they had any intention of striking, trying to get her back...

Admittedly, there were ways in which a kidnapping attempt

second attempt

was the best possible result. All the palace needed was a single capture, and they could truly begin to track down the group. They might even get lucky enough to lay hooves on a leader.

-- if ponies don't get hurt during the attempt.

She had to trust in the Guards.

If they don't succeed. Because if they manage to take me...

She wanted to believe in the Princesses.

...if I find out what they wanted me for because now they have me, now they can do whatever they want...

She'd had dreams about that. There had even been three when she hadn't woken up just before the circle of casters began to close in.

The protestors would know where she was. The summoners had to know. And then you got into the smaller categories of disaster, like having a guest come into the gathering, take a single look at her, and break. And where one pony broke, another could follow. And another, and another...

The palace hasn't found a single clue as to who the summoners are. Anypony there could be part of it. Anypony...

...but if we catch one, the right one and nopony's hurt in the process...

Getting the right summoner meant acquiring a pony who knew how the spell had worked. And if that information could be acquired, given to the researchers...

Everything about the party was a risk on a scale which Cerea barely wanted to think about. She'd spent days in hardly sleeping from not having thought about it.

The party felt like a precariously-placed weaving line of weighted dominoes which had been assembled on top of a minefield: a single light push, and the explosions might never end. But it also potentially represented her best chance to go home.

Even the Guards who don't want me here should try to get me home. Squall would probably do everything he could to capture a summoner. At least it gets rid of me.

And all she needed to potentially accomplish that was for her presence to risk the lives of everypony there.

Try to trust in the Guards.
Try to believe in the Princesses.
Try to feel like it won't all go wrong...

"Cerea?"

She forced her hooves to stop moving again.

"Plus one," the centaur miserably repeated.

"Nopony's expecting you to bring a guest," Nightwatch tried to assure her. "It's just a bulk printing. Um. I know I said that already, but --"

"-- I could ask Barding."

Black hooves briefly skittered backwards on the floor.

"You -- you'd..." The pegasus was breathing too fast, ribs shifting in and out as the dark tail tried to curl in on itself. "You'd actually..."

"It's a joke," Cerea sighed. Or it would have been if I was even a little funny. "He wouldn't want to go. There probably isn't enough metal to keep him interested."

"Plus you'd have to get him into a suit," Nightwatch half-gasped. "I'm pretty sure most of the stallions will be wearing suits --"

Two very different species momentarily flashed on exactly the same image.

"-- no suit," Nightwatch finished.

"Because he'd get in some extra work before we left," Cerea stated.

"And set it on fire."

"Parts of it."

"And then go to the party."

"While the holes were still smoldering. Not understanding why anypony was looking at him..."

Both mares briefly giggled, and then the taller smoothly transitioned into a sigh.

"I have to get my hair cut," Cerea announced. "Tonight, if I can. The mares who styled me before the press conference --"

"They're not part of the staff," Nightwatch told her. "They come in sometimes, and they were sworn to secrecy for the night. But the palace doesn't really have a full-time groomer on staff. Not for manes and tails. Um. Well, it's the Princesses. There really isn't much point. But I can ask somepony to send for them."

And maybe the stink of their fear will be a little lighter...

The centaur knelt a little, trying not to lean too far forward in the process. Anatomy perilously shifted.

"I'm going to say something just to see if it translates."

"Okay..."

"Double-sided clear adhesive skin tape."

"...huh?"

"Never mind..."

She picked up the gilded envelope. Turned it over in her hands, picked out the few words she could read.

Two days.

Then she looked down again.

"That came with it," Nightwatch said. "Um. It looks like it had a rough trip. I don't think the pony who brought it down was wearing a mouth guard. Ink has to be saliva-resistant, but some of the cheaper stuff... Anyway, you can see where the return address got blurred. Um... that section is where ponies usually put a return address."

Most of what Cerea could make out was in the center. Also the lower right, one corner, and then the endless trail of consonants did its best to wrap around the paper and gave it another go. Somepony had tried to write something on that part of the envelope and much like a certain fictional witch trying to spell 'banana', they hadn't been able to work out when to stop.

"But I guess it's for you," the pegasus added. "If somepony brought it down here."

"Do you know what that..." with some reluctance, accompanied by a desperate wish for a better term "...'word' in the center is?"

The pegasus squinted again. Silver eyes required several seconds to follow the full trail.

"No."

"It's probably just more hate mail," Cerea decided. "Somepony picked it up by accident when they were biting on the invitation."

"Um. They've been screening. I don't think they'd send --"

Ponies at risk.
Everything at risk.

And, on a much lesser note:

Cette putain de robe.

(At least she hadn't said that part out loud. It was bad enough to be so vulgar in her thoughts. She already knew what the disc would have done with the words.)

"I'll look at it later," the girl sighed, because there had been enough bad news for one night and she was feeling a certain need to stretch out the load. Besides, anything truly important would have had somepony on the palace staff tell her directly. It seemed to increase the chance of the second envelope having arrived in error. She could just ask Nightwatch to check the contents and figure out where it should have gone. "Right now, I have to get out of this thing." The gilded envelope was set back down, freeing nimble fingers to begin progressively gathering in scoops of dress. "And figure out how we're going to adjust it with what we have, because one wrong move and..."

One last moan.

"This is going to be a disaster," Cerea stated.

"It won't be," the pegasus decided. "We won't let it be."

One of them would be wrong.


The stallion hadn't really spoken to this mare before. He knew of her, because you couldn't be part of CUNET and not know about the mare. He had admired her work from afar, respected her ability to craft a finely-turned phrase, and sometimes wished for an equal ability to mask his own beliefs with layers of open doubletalk. The additional ability to shield it all under the protective umbrella of Opinion didn't exactly hurt.

He liked her, as much as you could like somepony whom you only knew through their words. She was one of the greatest assets CUNET possessed. Of course, necessity required that she hold that status without actually being a member of the organization, as journalists were supposed to pretend towards neutrality. Something which obviously existed as nothing more than pretense, because he read the ravings of the Marshdew traitor just about every day and there was nothing less neutral in all the world -- but that reading was a nauseating necessity. After all, if the enemy wanted to tell you what they were thinking, let them.

The stallion liked the mare, and had been looking forward to actually meeting her. It was just that he had maintained what should have been a rather pleasant anticipation stage for somewhat longer than he'd expected.

It was a quiet location, along with being fully shielded from sight and, since he was waiting in the depths of the Tangle, it was rather difficult to track. Canterlot's oldest section had been created at a time before the concept of city planning: something which meant the local criminal element ran a happy side hustle in the art of not quite giving directions. Some said that if you paid them enough, they might even lead you out of the twisting streets on the first attempt.

He would have understood if a first-time visitor got lost on their way into the Tangle: arriving while considerably low on bits was another possible side effect. But the mare supposedly knew it as well as anypony, and if she was recognized, then she was left alone. The risk associated with disturbing her was simply too great.

An angry, underpaid crook would merely kick their victim a few times and then stop. The mare would write.

He waited, because he had things to tell her, he wanted to meet her, and he was willing to put in some extra time for that. But he stayed under Moon's shadows for what felt like far longer than he should have. And when he finally saw somepony on the approach, the cold wind wafted the scent of alcohol into his snout.

The stallion didn't see any need to remark on that. He assumed that there were times when the best sources had to be lubricated first, especially if you didn't want them to remember that they'd been the ones who had talked. Instead, he simply waited until she was close enough to fully identify. And then he smiled, followed that up with a nod, and relished in the rarity of complete sincerity.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." The smile got a little wider. "A true pleasure. I've admired your work for years. I'd take off my hat in the presence of a lady, but..."

The mare nodded, and the white mane caught a little of the remaining light. "Always nice to meet a fan." Returning the smile with one of her own --

-- there was something odd about that smile.

He couldn't quite pin it down. It just made him want to make her smile again.

Well, he had the words which could do it. He just had to hold them off for a little while. "You weren't followed?"

The snort was a rather soft one. "Good luck following me through here. Born and raised in the Tangle. I know shortcuts which the sisters don't remember. Assuming they ever set a hoof on these stones in the first place..." A slow head shake. "We're secure."

"And even if somepony found out that you'd had a meeting," the stallion smiled, "you would never give up a source."

She nodded. "Makes it a little hard to get any other sources. Why did you want to meet me?"

Straight to business, then. "You know about the party, of course. The one where they're going to try and make it look acceptable."

Her left forehoof rotated somewhat, ground against ancient stone. "Like the rest of the capital. Like most of the continent, once the story finishes traveling. Why?"

"And you know about the security --"

"-- enough," the mare cut in, "that I know I won't be able to get through. Not personally." Her lips briefly quirked. "Not that I may need to be there, given the ponies who will be attending. But if you were asking me to make an appearance, there's no point. I can't get an invitation, and Fancypants would screen me out as a plus-one."

He didn't even mind the interruption. There was something about a mare who got right to the point...

The stallion casually leaned against the chill wall. Basked in the shadows.

"Here's what you probably don't know," he smiled. "Because it comes from our source on the palace staff."

"The one who's been so very accurate," she immediately said. "I'd love to know how. And who."

"I have to protect them for a while longer," he lightly teased. "I trust you not to print their name, but they would be very upset if they thought I'd dropped it. Besides, they're going to be rather busy for a little while. Party preparations." And because you always had to think about tomorrow, "Of course, there are times and places where we might discuss it. After this is over."

Another nod. "Or earlier," she half-negotiated. "So what did this source tell you about the security? It can't be a route in. If you got caught gatecrashing --"

He gently shook his head.

"They probably have enough ponies to cover everything," he told her. "And that's the problem. For them."

She frowned. Took a deep breath, and the alcohol emerged on the exhale.

"How?"

Yes, she went directly to the point. Plus she wasn't exactly unattrac -- well, her personality was most of it, but when you also considered the mind behind it and how that directness might come into play in the bedroom...

Looks were one thing. This mare's intellectual appeal existed on a level which overlapped the sexual.

"They're using a combination of Lunars and police officers," the stallion informed her. "But they can't weaken their watch on the palace or city, not as tumultuous as things have been with the protests going on. We're going to leave a good-sized group in front of the palace gates that night, just to split their forces a little more. Ultimately, they're drawing on limited resources. Which meant the only way to meet their target herd population number was to pull a few ponies in from the outside."

He saw her figure it out. That intelligence was just so refreshing, especially after a few of his more recent exposures.

"Ponyville," she definitively stated. "They're taking the extras from Ponyville."

The stallion nodded. "Which creates a certain opportunity."

I briefed her.
(He'd been stuck briefing her for days. Trying not to flinch from the heat of her thoughts. It made the presence of any other mare into the intellectual equivalent of dipping his mind into the perfect swimming hole.)
She'll be accompanied the whole time.
As long as there's somepony to supervise, we can keep her on the script.
It's our best opportunity

The mare waited. He tilted his head a little, and watched for her smile. She had to smile when he told her. Who wouldn't?

"You won't be at the party, and you might even be better off for it. So if you don't have any other plans for that night... how would you like an exclusive?"

PreviousChapters Next