• Published 26th Feb 2019
  • 16,036 Views, 5,836 Comments

Daily Equestria Life With Monster Girl - Estee



Yesterday, she was a sweet, somewhat old-fashioned exchange student trying to find her place in a strange culture. Today, Centorea Shianus is a new world's greatest terror.

  • ...
83
 5,836
 16,036

PreviousChapters Next
Discordant

The siblings silently watched, gazing down at that unique figure as it slowly moved towards the palace again. They had no concerns about being spotted: most of the recruits who exited the gardens after their tour would trot with their heads lowered, everything within them weighed down by long thoughts. In this, as with so many other things, the girl was no different.

And in the event that she had looked up... not only would she have needed to randomly pick the balcony of exactly the right tower to gaze at, but she also would have been up against the most talented illusionist Equestria had ever produced.

Celestia had actually asked the younger about that: whether the girl might have any capacity to pierce illusion. Luna had thought about it for a time, then replied in the positive -- a rather tentative version. A touch from the sword would likely cancel out the magic holding a false vision together. But when it came to perceiving the true without the use of that thing -- illusions created by ponies were manipulations of light and, for those with the talent, sound. They didn't pass along their lies through a direct tap into the target's senses: that was a changeling's dominion, and so pony illusions didn't include scent. Luna could create a perfect mirage, as with the one which currently displayed an empty balcony (as long as those hidden by that veil didn't move too much). But it could only fool sight and hearing. It was possible that Cerea would be able to smell their distant presence, where a pony could not. And an alicorn's natural scent was a little like that of the other three races combined, with unique factors added in -- but it also smelled like nothing else in the world.

They were several stories above the ground, cloaked by illusion. But they still weren't entirely sure what the girl was capable of, and so Celestia had also redirected the wind. Just in case.

Eventually, the centaur was close enough to the walls to be hidden from sight. And about a minute after that, they heard heavy doors close.

"A longer tour than most," the younger quietly noted, her horn beginning to dim. "And that without having covered the entirety of the gardens."

"She had a lot to think about," Celestia softly countered. "I could almost see her counting statues on the way back, at least when it was possible to see her. And... she hasn't been outside in a while. Not by herself."

Luna's sigh wasn't truly chill: the younger's body warmed the air within her lungs, the same as every other pony -- but it was almost always a little cooler around her, and so that warm breath wafted through an aura of concern-created cold, becoming briefly visible as a rising cloud of personal mist. "Something for which there are currently very few solutions."

"Yes." The matching expression from the elder didn't quite manage to emerge as steam: she wasn't upset enough for that. But the siblings had been mutually dealing with various sources of stress, and Celestia was all too aware that she had to get back inside and under a tighter degree of control. By her rather experienced estimate, the two of them were one more piece of bad news away from potentially beginning to produce their own fog bank.

Wryly, "Want to talk about some of the other things we can't solve?"

"Ah," Luna sarcastically considered. "So with my already having been awake beyond my normal hours, you wish for me to both remain alert for a longer period and have reasons for a rather poor sleep, if only so that your personal state might gain company -- and what is that thought?"

"Sorry?" Celestia automatically asked.

Evenly, "Doctor Bear has his own way of indicating when an inner vision has taken him away for a time. As do you."

Which was when she realized that her head had gone up, and it made her look as if she was examining the sky -- but the purple eyes were fixed upon that which no longer existed.

White lids slowly closed.

The voices were soft, decibels worn down from the effort required to cross centuries. "I was thinking about how we used to push our beds together. Or the blanket nests, after we lost them. Under a single blanket on the best nights, when we were traveling. When it was all getting to us, when we had to hang onto ourselves. We had to know something was real, and the best anchor was... each other. Just sleeping with our bodies pressed up against each other. So it would feel safe enough to sleep, and... like we would still be ourselves when we woke up. But with the cycle, it's almost impossible to do that now. Something else which changed..."

The elder was now looking directly at Sun, and did so without pain. She was the only one in the world who could. And still the tears rose in her eyes.

A smaller body pressed against hers, and there was a moment when she could not reconcile the weight of the wings.

"You shared my bed," the younger quietly reminded her. "On the first night after the Return."

Automatically, "You were exhausted. We both were. I couldn't get you out of Ponyville for hours, I knew you'd been under Sun too long --"

"-- even knowing that the Nightmare was dead," readily interrupted the flow, "and I would be the one who woke." Nearly a whisper, "Or did you fear something else?"

The elder closed her eyes again.

"Fear." The word was almost heavy enough to crack the marble. "I was afraid that when I woke up -- it would be just that. Waking up to find that everything which had happened was no more than a dream." Whispering now, as the flow of semi-tangible mane and tail slowed, "Because I had that dream so many times, Luna. I didn't know who the Bearers would be, and when it came down to the last few years, my mind started to put Twilight into the group. But most of the time, you were saved by phantoms. There were nights where it happened in the ruins. One had the final confrontation at Star's old workshop. He was there in some of the dreams, with the others. And sometimes... you would be there. All of us together, facing the Nightmare. Dream logic, what there is of it: we were all together, so you had to be there. But I would always wake up, and it wouldn't be time yet, I didn't know if anything would work, and... I would always wake up. Wake up, and... you would be gone again. I..."

She took a breath. The huge rib cage shifted, and two sets of foreign feathers brushed against her fur.

"...shared a bed because you were back. Because it had been a thousand years, a thousand years, and I can barely think about that number. Not when I had to live through all of it, one second at a time, just for a chance. I stayed because I had to know you were really there. That it had worked, that I had you back after my mistake --"

Two sets of tears were falling.

"-- you did not know, Tia. It was the last thing you had to try --"

"-- I could have thought of something else --" And had spent a millennium of nightmares in wondering what 'something else' could have been.

"-- and I," the younger softly countered, "might have done a better job of seeking out somepony to speak with, in the last nights before it all took place. Before speaking with the last entity anypony should ever trust. I could have turned away. Question your actions as much as you might wish, sister: I had sufficient time during --" dark wings trembled "-- internal burial to do the same. But there is a saying in Protocera, is there not? Something which has never entirely taken root here, and might benefit our own citizenry if it had. We look back, we consider what might have been different --"

The younger's eyes closed, and every star dimmed.

"-- 'And no one would have suffered had they not been born.' The past is fixed, Tia. We cannot change a moment of it. But we are here, and this is now --"

"-- and that's what I was afraid of," the elder's pain broke in. "That I would wake up, and it wouldn't be now. It wouldn't be time yet, because getting you back was just another dream. I wanted to wake up and find you there. I needed that anchor. I..."

They stayed there for a time, pressed against each other. It was necessary and, just as much to the point, it was once again possible.

"More than four years," Celestia eventually whispered. "I should be better at dealing with this --"

"-- four," Luna interrupted, "weighed against a thousand."

Not without humor, "Everypony usually expects me to resolve a year's worth of disasters in about two seconds. I'm still off the pace."

"Yes. Well, we have what might be disaster sufficient for a decade brewing at our own gates," Luna wryly observed. "But as I have some personal experience with such things, I am prepared to allot us well over a minute. Shall we?"


They were using some of the secret passages. It granted them privacy and, in the cases of those travelways where they were the only ponies who ever used them, offered the opportunity to dust.

"I am hoping that the Tattler pursued its typical course of exaggeration," Luna declared as a field-held rag wiped down a trigger plate. "Even after having read both the article and the transcript of the palace's own interview with the one who was so unfortunate as to provide its base."

"A 'faction' within the palace," Celestia semi-quoted as her horntip scraped some built-up gunk out of a narrow crack in the stone. "Of true loyalists to Equestria, and that even fits in with the Tattler's usual definition of loyalty to the nation: going against everything we stand for."

"I regret not having been present when that one reporter expressed the sentiment in a way which Rainbow Dash understood," Luna dryly stated. "Fishing her out of the dam afterwards was somewhat less entertaining. Regardless, when it comes to our own staffs, I accept that there are those who are less than comfortable with Cerea's presence, and wish that she was not here at all. But I hardly believe they are working from within to rid the nation of centaurs. Orders have been followed: our keeping her within the cells would have 'leaked' long before the sighting. Those supposedly wishing to operate directly against us simply would have needed to capture a single image and send it to the press."

"But there were rumors," Celestia countered. "That we had her. Those were going around before Wordia."

"It was public knowledge that we were involved in the hunt," Luna reminded the elder. "To that degree, the presumption was a natural one."

"Rumors," the white mare darkly stated as the temperature flared within the shadowed passage, "still require ponies to spread them --"

Stopped.

"-- and this," Celestia quietly said, "is what they want. That we'll start doubting the ones who've sworn oaths, looking for enemies among those closest to us, and working to undermine them before they can do the same. I believe there's ponies on our staffs who wish she had never come here, Luna. Who hate coming to work in the palace during cycles when they know she's in it. But I'm not about to start questioning everypony as to where they stand, especially not when we know where this article came from. The numbers are being exaggerated."

Softly, the touch of moonlight sliding across stone. "And if they are not?"

"Then we," the elder declared, "are still in charge. Anything done has to get past us. They've been following orders, Luna. I'd prefer them to be happy about it -- but in this case, I'll settle for following."

"You will understand," the younger stated as the passage and cleaning efforts began to slant upwards, "if I continue to keep my ears rotated. In the event that we happen to be wrong."

With a small smile, "I don't expect anything else."

Several ancient layers of grime found new homes on cloth, which was followed by enjoying a fresh existence as ash. It was easier than sending anything through the laundry sixty times.

"How's Nightwatch?" Celestia checked. "I did see your notes."

Luna sighed. "'Stubborn' would be an accurate description. I have attempted to provide her with multiple courses of action. The first was to abandon the apartment for a time, while we set up surveillance to see who had been entering the building." Darkly, "Something which does very little if the one posting threats lives within, but hiding somepony on her floor would require an empty space. Such as her abandoned apartment."

"And she said no?" There was some genuine surprise in that, enough that it echoed longer than the accompanying hoofsteps.

"Even when offered the option to live at the palace," Luna confirmed. "I also stated that we would pay for a hotel room. Her excuse for refusing that was to say it could put the rest of those in the hotel at risk."

"Which doesn't apply to the palace, when they can't get in --" Celestia began to protest.

"-- and her excuse for that was that she did not wish for the threatening party to feel they had made her retreat. You might imagine that she combined the arguments when refusing to request the hospitality of another Guard. And as a final option, even knowing that you have had your eye on her at least once before with the prospect of cross-staff filching -- I proposed that she simply, and temporarily, move to the Solar shift. Twisting the hours in which others would expect her to be at home." Luna sighed. "However, 'stubborn' continued to apply. I did not quite reach the point of a direct order, not at this stage: some degree of her life away from the palace should remain her own. But I am sorely tempted. She believes they will do no more than threaten and leave behind things meant to trigger several kinds of nausea. And I would hope that she is correct, but..."

The younger fell silent, and so new echoes reached them.

"How far away are we from Apex Tower?" Celestia asked, because she knew the answer and several kinds of company were desirable when approaching the heart of expected misery.

"Another two minutes," Luna replied.

"And we're hearing them. Across that distance, through this much stone..."

"Yes. I suspect we will be soundproofing the forward offices tomorrow. This must be rather distracting."


And then they were looking at it. Something which took a lot of head turning and examination on multiple elevations.

The majority of the protestors were unicorns, because it was Canterlot and on her best day, Mrs. Panderaghast considered just about anypony cooperative from the other two races to be extremely temporary allies of convenience. It was in the same way a dirty face tried an allied napkin.

(It was rather hard for an organization which promoted the inherent superiority of unicorns to fundraise from earth ponies and pegasi: simply ordering them to donate didn't work, saying they weren't intelligent enough to decide how their own bits should be managed tended to backfire, and door-to-door visits meant talking to your lessers while being in range of the more physical counterarguments. However, CUNET did have a few non-unicorn members, which they trotted out at every opportunity to prove they weren't speciesist. Those ponies were real, tended to blush when somepony deigned to actually speak with them, and had signed on because anypony possessing that combination of deepest horn envy and near-fatal low self-esteem generally found a way of taking it out on themselves.)

But Canterlot had pegasi and earth ponies among its population. The capital had also been one of Tirek's first targets, and the sisters blamed themselves for that: all of the device and wonder shops in the Heart, the concentration of magic within the armory, and the chance to drain them. They'd done everything they could, and some of it had helped -- but the evacuations hadn't been completed in time. He had arrived much more quickly than they'd expected, even with everything they'd kicked at him in the name of mere delay, and...

It could be said, with complete accuracy, that nopony in Canterlot didn't know a minimum of one pony who'd been drained: the actual low number was closer to fifteen. Extend the connections across the social web, and it was also true that just about everypony had been at least passingly familiar with somepony who'd died.

They had been violated. They had lost friends, family, and lovers. The one who had done it was beyond their reach, and so all they had been able to do was seek help for their pain as best they could, at least for those who had been willing to admit help was needed.

But now there was a centaur in the palace.

CUNET's line was closest to the gates. Behind them, the diversity was considerably more scattershot: earth ponies, a number of unicorns who'd decided they had to be there and weren't going to get caught dead in the other line, those pegasi who'd reached the point where they needed a ground rest... and then you had intermingled zebras, yaks, several buffalo, and the city's one and only kudu family had decided this was a worthwhile use of a morning out. Higher up, pegasi were flying in protest formation, occasionally pausing to make room as the Aviary continued to empty itself out and Canterlot's near-microscopic griffon neighborhood found a new residence in the most mobile of the lines.

The first line started about six body lengths back from the gates. The ground-based crowd only began to thin out after an additional thirty, although part of that was because a buffalo was always going to want as much space as possible and few crowding ponies ever tried to deliberately trigger that droning protest chant twice unless they had found a way to use it as a weapon. And when it came to the air... they were looking down at all of it through a mobile cloud of feathers and fur. Along with a new veil of illusion, because neither sibling was stupid.

Both kept looking for a while. There was a lot to see.

"There are," Luna finally said, "rather more than I had expected."

Celestia nodded.

"Admittedly, there have been other times when the trend was for initial increase," the younger went on, keeping her words low. "Some are simply late to their public rage. Others wait for time off from work." She hesitated. "Regardless..."

"The numbers are going up faster than we thought they would," Celestia finished.

Darkly, "At least we are not at our theoretical maximum yet."

"Wait." And the elder failed to find a single tombstone's worth of graveyard humor in her own voice. "There may be ponies coming in on the next few trains."

They kept watching. Several zebras had brought cauldrons along, which turned out to be mostly full of water: this was the primary refreshment area for the non-CUNET protestors. Celestia wasn't entirely sure what was in the last specimen and 'lunch' was a possibility, but she didn't like the way in which the red smoke spiraled off the surface.

"We may have erred," Luna quietly considered. "I had hoped that our citizens would be able to see through the veil of their fear. But there are more ponies there than would be expected from the most local Tattler districts. More species. We brought her into the light, and they jump away from shadows which exist only in their memories..."

"You know what the other choices were." But the elder couldn't block out all of the doubt.

"Isolation," the younger nodded. "Two varieties from which to choose. But they remember Tirek, and apply all of it to her. Because they have no experience of her. They perceive a centaur, not even the same kind as before, and fail to see the girl..."

The smaller alicorn shivered.

"We must arrange for the first public meetings," Luna stated. "Quickly."

Celestia distractedly nodded, continuing to look down --

"-- oh, great." It was half a moan.

"Sister?

"Approaching on the far left. First touring class of the day." She was already turning. "I may need to send some Guards out there to make sure they get into the palace without a problem." Groaning, "And if there's anyone in that crowd who's angry enough, that makes them a target. With children around..."

"The police?" Luna inquired as she matched direction and pace.

"Already out there, at the edges. Supervising. And ready to make a move, but they're not wearing armor. The other option is that I go down there --"

"-- we --"

"-- my hours. You've arguably been awake too long already: you need rest." The mirth of the dead finally slipped in. "I'm also the bigger target."

"Who is seen as the lesser threat," Luna countered. "However, this is your part of the cycle, so the lead is yours. I simply stand ready to follow."

They hurried.

"I'm going to meet them in the gardens," the elder sighed. "Once they get through. Sun and Moon, anypony blocking them will just say they were trying to protect children from having to deal with a centaur..."

"I will join you."

"You," the elder firmly said as her right forehoof tapped the stone which opened the passage, "need sleep --"

"-- they are children," Luna evenly replied, slipping behind her sibling into the shadows. "The opportunity to meet the young seldom arises." Dark eyes closed. "And perhaps there will be no screams."


"Pegasi are usually the biggest problem," the sergeant snorted, wiry legs accelerating as he led the lone recruit towards the center of the racing track's oval and the new flock of training dummies which had been set up there.

There were also two buckets. It was very easy to spot the buckets, because they were the widest objects on the ground.

"Tell me why that is," Emery Board ordered, and did so without looking back. The words would come or the shout would demand to know why: either way, eye contact wasn't required.

It took a moment for the girl to sort it out.

"Range?"

"Is that a QUESTION? An observation? Or a GUESS?"

"...they can fly," Cerea tried, because experience was a teacher and in this case, the lessons came in the form of some very humiliating memories. "I've -- had to fight flying opponents before, and..."

That made him glance back, doing so just in time to spot the first wave of blush.

"What were their attacks like? When they were in the air?"

"...minimal," the centaur admitted. "One of them was capable --" her skin was beginning to provide an interesting contrast to the sweater "-- of sending insects out to attack for her. Stinging ones. I tried to block as many as I could, but... one got through, and --"

"One out of how many?"

She didn't know, and said so. "It was a swarm." Something which made it impossible to truly count.

"One," he repeated. "Out of a swarm."

The sweater was going to begin smoldering from the heat suffusing her skin at any second. "Yes. It meant I failed --"

"-- how were you fending them off?"

She briefly raised the sword.

"A swarm," the sergeant said. "Directed by an enemy, so it probably started going in from the front, then split off and went for your flanks. Trying to sting you in the areas which couldn't be reached. So you would have been moving all over the place to compensate, which meant continually exposing new vulnerable zones. Fighting them off with a blunt blade."

Cerea was silent. He'd described the situation accurately and as far as she was concerned, that removed all need for her to speak.

"And one got through."

Humiliation weighed down the nod, turning it into more of a head dip.

He was quiet for a moment. She wasn't sure how to deal with that.

"How about the rest of the fliers?"

"They had to descend to attack. Swoops, mostly. They relied on their talons. One of them had claws to go with them, but she also had six limbs. But none of them carried weapons, or tried to drop anything. The talons are weapons." Papi was kind, gentle, extraordinarily good with children -- and could gut most living creatures from shoulders to hips with a single swipe. "So they rely on hit-and-run tactics. It meant they had to close in before they could hit, but they'd also retreat if they thought I had a chance to intercept them."

"And all you had was the sword?"

"Usually, sergeant."

He stopped in front of the left-side bucket, which required some maneuvering to get around all the poles. "Look up."

She did. A dozen training dummies failed to look down.

There had been some extra attention paid to detail on the latest versions. They were meant to be pegasi and so they had been placed high in the air, with a single support pole under each belly -- but there were also wings. Flexible metal frames stretched out from the sides of every false pony, and each was adorned with what almost looked like the proper alignment of feathers.

Alignment -- but not hue. Just about every pegasus she'd seen had wings of a single color: the lone exception had possessed two. The training dummies had been decorated with the donations of dozens, and so the whole array looked as it had recently been assaulted by a suicide mission of psychedelic parrots.

"With one exception, your fliers had to close in," the sergeant summarized. "Tell me about pegasi."

"They... don't," she tried, and before the next shout could get past the inhalation phase, "They can attack from the sky and stay in it, because their attacks move to ground level without them. Wind, rain --" she hesitated, because there was something in her which really didn't want to say the next word any more than it wanted to experience being on the receiving end. "-- lightning..."

"They can," the old stallion allowed. "But it's more limited than they want you to think."

She held silent. Waiting.

"A pegasus works with what's in the environment," Emery Board told her. "They compress, disperse, and relocate. They can't create. A pegasus in the desert, with the sun blazing down and no humidity to work with -- the only cloud they're going to be weaving would be made from their own sweat. And the best can pull that off, but there won't be much in it. It means that most of the time, they'll rely on wind: gusts are something they can send ahead of them. But it takes a lot of wind to disorient someone your size. They'd have to get up to a tornado if they were going to get you off your hooves, and a funnel is something they have to stay with, flying around it to maintain the formation. Won't stop the smart ones from trying to drive dirt into your eyes -- but you're big enough to be wind-resistant, and you're not going to see tornado-level talents that often anyway."

He nodded towards the left-side bucket. She moved closer to it, carefully working her way around the poles so she could approach from a different angle.

"Any pegasus," the old stallion educated, "can learn any technique. All of them, if they care to try. It's not like unicorns, where they all have a personal capacity. But they don't necessarily have the strength to power the magic. Doesn't mean much if you understand how to create a funnel when you can't get the wind speed together. But there's another way they're different: they can operate in groups. Unicorns need to know a working just to put their strength together, that tops out at three, and everypony has to know the merger spell. Pegasi -- they just need to have the technique, and then they can contribute. But it's not unlimited, because magic is personal. Everypony works it in a slightly different way, and when you get enough differences in a small area, clashing against each other -- well, that's their backlash. It's called a tangle, and that's something Nightwatch can tell you more about. For now, I want you to focus on what a truly cumulative effort means when it comes to shutting it down."

He looked at her, eyes so close to stone under the brim of the unmoving hat. It was the sort of look which wanted an answer.

"Disperse the flock," Cerea said, "or lessen the numbers."

The sergeant nodded towards the left-side bucket again. "Take one. Don't squeeze it."

She looked down.

The light beige wood had been almost perfectly carved and fused into sphere form: she could just barely see the join lines on some of the closer balls. Each was about the diameter of her palm, and the first one she cupped shifted slightly against her skin as a tiny bubble of air allowed some of the internal liquid to move.

"A pegasus can send her weapons ahead of her, staying in the sky," he instructed. "But the only one most of them can really aim is wind. Unless you're dealing with one of the best, lightning does what it always does: seeks the tallest object, or goes for the right kind of metal. Guard armor is enchanted: it doesn't serve as a beacon. It means that unless you're the biggest thing in an open area --"

She wished he wouldn't talk about her size so much.

"-- there's no guarantee it'll hit you. Somepony with a mark for lightning -- they're the ones to watch for: they can pick out trees, and the best could choose a big branch. With the rest, most of the contact is going to be pure bad luck. But it can still put you out, if they're strong enough. So you need to shut that down. There's a few ways of doing that. And rain... heavy enough can disorient you, but it also makes it harder for the pegasus to see, even with their vision. Cools you off on the surface, brings you closer to the same temperature as everything else --"

She was staring at him.

"-- right," he brusquely declared. "Nopony got around to that with you yet, and Nightwatch didn't mention it because it's so natural to her, she didn't think about it. Pegasi can see heat. The adults, anyway. It's blurry for the youngsters, but it clears up when they're old enough for their own magic." Almost casually, while her eyes still refused to blink, "Can't shift the temperature around when you can't spot what you're working with. They'll maneuver on it as a last resort when the light goes bad, but the average flier hasn't practiced. And both of the Generals have their own version of a flash-bang trick to take that out."

She'd known Miia's vision went into the infrared: it was what allowed the lamia to home in on any source of heat in a room, such as a sleeping centaur who had retired to her rest with no expectation of being wrapped by scales. Cerea had once asked her what the colors looked like. Miia had thought about it for a few seconds, and then asked Cerea how grass tasted.

Miia could see heat -- and the tongue which occasionally flicked against the air possessed almost no taste buds. Lamias were just about pure carnivores: they could consume a few grains, but vegetables did nothing for them. They had no objection to half-rotten meat, because their bodies could process the stuff while never telling the brain just how foul it truly was. That was one of the factors which made Miia such a horrible cook: the inability to truly taste-test as she went along, and it was something she never seemed to truly learn from --

-- but she didn't know what grass tasted like. Or apples. Miia would never be capable of seeing a carrot as anything more than an annoying root which someone else insisted had to be added for imperceptible flavoring. And every so often, living among the other girls... the lamia would wonder what she'd been missing.

How did you describe a sense to someone who didn't really have it? They'd both tried. But all Miia had been able to manage was describing heat as being like the sort of chili pepper burn you could see, and only because she knew Cerea was so vulnerable to chili peppers. The centaur had tried to tell the lamia that grass was probably like having the world being carpeted in small mice. And that had been it.

Nightwatch could see heat, and hadn't mentioned that because it was natural for her. Cerea didn't talk about arms and hands and breasts because it was too awkward, and... she didn't know any other way to be.

"The worst they can usually do is hail," the sergeant continued. "Hail's the real nightmare, especially if they can get the stones up to hoof size. Hail can send an army running for cover. But unless they're hitting you on just the right day or got the area ready in advance, they can't set up for hail in a hurry. It takes at least a few minutes to tweak things that much: the hotter it is, the longer they need. And again, they need the moisture. So overall -- they can hit you from the sky, but the aim's usually bad. Unless they've got the whole area set up just right, they need to see you, and that means staying low enough that you might be able to spot them. A pegasus can look for heat through vapor -- but that's not always easy. So if they're looking down at you, it's probably through a hole they kicked in the cloud. That means you can see them. And once you see them..."

He nodded at the sphere.

"Checked with a zebra after the General contacted me," he told her. "I wanted a fresh batch for this. What you're holding is one of their weapons, and it's meant for use against pegasi. Closest translation in Equestrian would be whiffwings. Move out of the poles. Take the buckets with you."

She easily carried the twin masses along: the flat center of a raised grip meant for a jaw worked perfectly well for hands, and the weight was minimal. He stayed within the little jungle of poles.

"Stop." She did. "Take out the sling. I want to see how many tries you need to hit a wing."

The answer was three: the first sphere cracked open against a dummy's face, and thin purple liquid began to soak into the fabric. The second took a journey to the land of Utter Miss, and the last burst on impact as readily as the original --

-- the liquid thickened. Drips became stretching tendrils, those tendrils contacted the dummy's flanks, and artificial wings slammed against wooden sides.

Emery Board didn't look up. Didn't move, and certainly didn't smile. He just focused on the shocked expression of his recruit.

"Harmless until it touches feathers," he stated. "Then it turns into glue crossed with springs. A pegasus hit by this can flare their wings out enough for a glide, if they act fast. But it's going to be a constant strain, and as soon as they release the effort, that's it. Can't fly. The less they can move, the less magic they can access. So the natural followup, once you've got them on the ground, is bolas. Still waiting on those." He snorted. "Hard enough to find them around here in the first place. Needed to get those commissioned, and it's going too slow. But you'll try them out, once they show up. Brings us to the second type of sphere. That's the one I want you to squeeze."

She looked down again, face still locked into stun. The other bucket had white wood, even more fragile-looking than the first. She could see places where it appeared pre-cracked, and they almost seemed as if they had been arranged to line up with her --

"-- sized that for your fingers," the old stallion confirmed, and snorted again. "You give it one good grip before you load it into the sling: it'll crack on its own about ten seconds after that. The contents are called drydust. Sucks up moisture, holds it in a gel where the pegasi can't get at it. A cloud that's low enough for them to be confident in hitting you is one that's low enough for you to hit. Get enough drydust into the air and there's no cloud. Stationary targets today. Moving ones later. SO START THE SLING GOING! I WANT TO SEE WHAT YOUR ACCURACY RATE IS! AND THEN I WANT TO SEE HOW IT GETS BETTER WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE AN EXCUSE FOR IT! SCOOP, LOAD, SPIN, AND RELEASE! AGAIN! AGAIN! OH, FOR SUN'S SAKE -- AGAIN!"


She wasn't quite sure what gave out first: the contents of the buckets, the last of what had been in her stomach, or her eardrums. In the end, he allowed her to rest near the cottonwood long enough to take care of the second factor.

How to take on unicorns. How to neutralize pegasi...

"Sergeant?" His ears completely failed to perk. "Nearly everything we've been practicing is for... fighting ponies."

The old stallion nodded.

"We'll get to the other species," he steadily told her. "I've been working on that. You'll meet someone in a day or two. But we're starting with what you'll see the most of."

Someone: a sapient who wasn't a pony. But... "Are there other nations with ponies? Places which don't get along with Equestria?"

That triggered a snort. "Prance is just about all ponies. But having them separate is a case where we're all better off. Prance is... don't know if you've got it where you come from: that part of a country which everyone else wishes was outside the borders?"

She tried to tell herself the name was just a coincidence, and only mostly failed. Osaka. (It was supposedly full of idiots.) The United States was said to have Alabama, which didn't want anything to do with the other forty-nine anyway. And it was best not to bring up Belfast around Lala, because you really didn't want to hear a self-titled psychopomp talk about why an entire city needed to die. "Yes."

Another snort. "We got lucky. They never came in during the Unification, and they've spent centuries telling us it's because they wouldn't lower themselves far enough to be equal. But we've never had a war against them. They kick out insults, they tell us how inferior we are -- and they also know they're outnumbered twenty to one, so they usually say it while they're backing up. Prance's idea of a fight is to say they'll meet you outside and try to lock the door behind you." He slowly shook his head. "Came as a real surprise to the three I nudged out first. For the rest of the nations -- Protocera/Griffon Republic has a pretty significant pony minority, and we've had wars. Not for a couple of centuries, though. And the reason they've got so many ponies is because they don't leave kids behind. Anypony's or anyone's. The generations which grew up there... they just think like griffons. That modifies the tactics, and we'll go over that in a few days. Most of the other countries have at least a few ponies around. There's some exceptions. But you won't find many places that are just one species."

Except for the mountains. But that was presuming --

"You're starting with ponies," the sergeant neutrally stated the most basic of facts, "because the worst problems begin at home. That's how it's always been. Ponies are most of what you'll deal with. And with what you are -- there's going to be ponies trying to fight you. Because that's how they'll lie to themselves about not being afraid, or they'll decide it's the way they can get you out of the Guards." (She once again missed the implication.) "Because you took a swing at a local who'd tried to electrocute you, and they'll always find an excuse for their part: you're the one who's wrong for trying to live."

How do I go into the city?
How can I talk to anypony at all, away from the palace?
How do I make them see anything other than a monster --

"Lost a lot of Guards over the years, for a lot of reasons," and she tried to look as if she hadn't picked up on the scent again. "I'm not losing one to civilian stupidity." The old stallion slowly shook his head. "You know you're going to be fighting ponies soon. Guards. Already got a few lined up. But there's still some problems. Biggest one is armor."

Her ears perked.

"Armor?"

"DID I STUTTER?"

"...no, Sergeant..."

The living statue broke its one-pony formation, and began to pace. Back and forth, five of his own body lengths in each direction.

"Can pad you for the live combat exercise," Emery Board stated. "Just a matter of getting somepony to sew it all up, and you've already got a mare who knows how to fit you. Trick is not having it restrict the joints too much. But that's not what we'd normally use. Ponies don't come in the widest range of sizes: we can usually find armor that fits, or adjust a few pieces until something custom gets kicked out. But you --" his pace was accelerating "-- you're a set of engineering problems that nopony's ever seen before! Extra-flexible jointing on the arms! Sight lines like nothing they've worked with! And the upper waist -- what kind of musculature do you even have going there? How does anypony rig metal to turn that way? There's problems to solve, hundreds of different problems, and just because I can fix my own armor in the field doesn't mean I can stomp out yours! Been to five different smithies so far: three of them tried to close up on the spot, one of them is now booked for the next forty years, and the last stallion decided his mark wanted a change of career! Palace forge is the one which should do it and they can't say no, but there's too many problems for one smith! Nopony even knows where to start --"

He had been turning at the moment he said that word, each movement machine-precise. It meant he was equally smooth about coming to a rather sudden full stop.

"-- that's a smile, isn't it?"

She nodded.

"That's what a smile looks like on you," the sergeant observed. "You haven't smiled once since you got here. Why are you smiling?"

Cerea took a slow breath.

"I need some quills," she requested. "And ink. Plus a lot of paper. At least sixty pages. Please."

"And why," the old stallion asked in what might have been a false calm, "do you need all of that?"

"Because there are a lot of problems," the trained blacksmith told him. "But they've already been solved."


Celestia carefully nosed over to the next sketch. More staring ensued.

She was looking at the centaur's creations in her throne room, as the last minutes of her scheduled time ticked away. The throne's cushions didn't seem to be doing anything for the fast-building headache.

...I think that's for the fingers. Minotaurs didn't armor their hands: the general sentiment was that doing so cost them some degree of refinement for pressure and leverage. So if we split up the smaller pieces between multiple shops and don't tell them what they're working on, it'll go faster. But she wants to make the -- breastplate? -- and main back piece herself, along with the helmet. Which helps, because those are the giveaways on who it's for, and Barding is going to have his hooves overloaded with the lower portions. But... She cautiously flipped back a few pages. ...what does this even mean? Folding the steel and then reheating it, over and over? Adding a coating layer of carbon?

She'd never seen a forging process like this, not with extra ingredients and acids and just turning the metal repeatedly in on itself. But it was something the girl knew how to do...

An exchange student. But one who had been trained in blacksmith arts, who just knew how armor was supposed to be put together. Emery had come as close as he ever had to capering in place when he'd passed over the sketches: the hat had shifted by a whole quarter-hoofwidth. Who knows how to fight, who can make her own weapons and armor...

Was that what the summoners had been looking for? A new source of weaponry? A means of creating more and more things which could stand against magic --

...no. The girl had told the sisters that she couldn't replicate the sword's material. The armor was normal metal, albeit with a treatment which Celestia had never seen. The usual myriad of protective spells would need to be cast by others, and Celestia was dreading the discovery of how they reacted upon contact with the blade. The best hope was temporary neutralization.

We may need to layer this. Put most of the protection on the thinnest inner portion and hope the effect doesn't conduct. Her field took up a quill, added a few notes --

-- and the Sunrise Gate opened.

She recognized the hoofsteps before her head came up. "Hello, Glimmerglow," she smiled. "I know: I need to go greet my sister in a little while, and then there's dinner to consider. I promise I'll eat --"

But the pegasus said two words.

"He's back."

There was always a wind backblast associated with takeoff: the most anypony could hope to do was moderate it and in her rush to get off the throne, Celestia neglected any and all attempts to do so. The hardest-hit papers wound up plastered against tapestries, and most of the ink bottle was left soaking into the cushions.

She just didn't care.

"Where?"

"On his way up to the tower," the pretty mare said. "He thought you'd want to meet him along the way --"

-- and a very large body went directly over her head.


He had groomed himself before entering the palace: not because she expected him to, but because he had likely decided it would reflect poorly on her if he didn't. It meant that his clothing was fresh, the jacket elegant -- but he only had so many monocles, and nopony could wear one which was chipped around the edges without doing damage to fur and skin. Those which had been cracked were simply kicked away, he was waiting for his prescription to be ground, and...

The unicorn stallion squinted somewhat, when he turned to look at her landing upon the ramp, and it was the first thing he apologized for.

"Three weeks," he declared, "and it still wasn't quite ready when I returned. But she's the only one I trust to do it. She's simply been rather busy this season. Even so, Celestia, I should have been the one to take a chance on another, and so --"

She leaned in, nuzzled him before he could say another word. The nuzzle meant for friends, layered with heavy relief.

He nuzzled her back in the same way: one of the few who ever did. One of the only ponies who'd earned the right.

The white mare pulled back, looked down at him.

"You've lost more weight," she observed. "You can groom your fur, but not the body underneath. And there's fresh bandages under that jacket: I see the bulge." More softly, "You can't keep this up, Fancypants. Not indefinitely --"

"-- it won't be indefinite." It wasn't so much an interruption as smoothly tipping an extra ingredient into the conversational mix. "It ends eventually, one way or another." His head dipped. "Hopefully in success."

"You still can't keep this up. You're not meant for this --"

"-- speaking on another's behalf? Asking for help, when I can't explain exactly why I need it?" He slowly raised his gaze, focused directly on her in that special way: the one which made it feel as if they were very nearly the same height -- only with so much more determination in his eyes. "No, I am suited exactly for this. And before you can resume the remainder of the argument about how somepony else should take up this quest --"

He didn't stomp a forehoof: it wasn't in him. He simply leveled his voice, and that was worse.

"-- to the best anypony can determine, I was the last pony he spoke with before making his decision. I am responsible. And so I will not stop." The noble head inclined, and a foreleg briefly touched the bulge of a pocket. "Two."

"Two," Celestia breathed. "All right. Let's go up there."


"I am only here to pass these over and resupply," he told her as they moved up the spiraling ramp. "I believe I have a lead on another one. That requires setting out as soon as possible --"

"-- I need one day," Celestia cut in. "One day over and above what you intended, even if that was only an hour to start with. I don't know how much of the news you've heard --"

He didn't pause in his tread, and had to trot rather quickly to keep up with her longer legs in the first place. He simply suggested it in his tone.

"Yes," Fancypants said. "The girl." And with those two words, he reminded her of just why she cared about him. "I should have thought of that. My apologies. You need me to try and give her a chance among my own, yes?"

"As much as you can," Celestia agreed, picking up her pace. "You may wind up meeting her tonight, if you're ready for it."

The smile was a fairly weak one. "I've seen worse. Especially over the last few moons. A single centaur may turn out to be an improvement. How is she doing?"

"We'll talk about that on the way down." Because the top of the tower was coming into sight and with it, the edge of the carefully-constructed pegasus weave. "I have to let us in."

Her wings spread, began to subtly shift.

Two.

It was something. It just wouldn't be enough.


There was air in the tallest tower of the Solar wing, and it did not move.

The two ponies had half-bubbles clinging to their snouts. Air shifted within them, and small portions escaped to the world when each exhaled. But that air emerged into the tower, and -- froze. They did not move the atmosphere as they came into the room: they slid through it, and so all disturbance was minimized.

One of the most complicated pegasus techniques, to not only still all natural atmospheric movements within an area, but to have the air automatically shift in a way which allowed passage while nearly eliminating disruption. Something hardly ever used, because there was no need for it.

But it had been needed here, for the remnants of the storm were fragile.

It did not drift: it could not. Thin tendrils of vapor were held in place by the air, their colors twisting about each other. (The center had, over the course of several moons, assumed an increasingly-brown hue.) Tiny sparks occasionally showed themselves within the interior. They did so in the place of what had once been another kind of lightning, and always faded quickly.

The position had been oriented to the horizontal: if made to twist, it would be somewhat taller than Celestia. There were little suggestions of denser material within the curling mass, and hints of shape along the borders. It was possible, if squinting somewhat (which one was already doing), to imagine that some part of the western edge resembled a rather warped shoulder. An extension of mist and weakened, flickering energies suggested a tail.

But it was a storm, albeit one with odd colors. One where any air which touched it occasionally found itself trembling, nearly shifting to a liquid state. There had been a moment when Celestia had thought she'd briefly seen oxygen as pebbles, but -- it was too weak for that.

A storm resting upon an old, soft, salt-stained fainting couch.

The stallion's horn ignited, and two emeralds were brought out of the pocket: one roughly spheroid, with the other conical. But by the time they reached her, they were garnets, and they came to rest on the fabric as rubies. Something just as red as the twinned spots which sometimes appeared above the pillows.

The storm did not move. Did not respond in any way. The Doctors Bear had reported that there were times when one portion contracted and expanded, but -- irregularly, of course.

Charged. She'd had to train herself to sense the energies: it was a process which had a lot of vomiting involved. And now...

Her horn ignited. Sunlight licked at the edge of the shifting gems, sunspots flared --

-- something came out of the changing jewels. It was the sight of the invisible, the sound of vacuum, the heat of absolute zero, and it merged with the storm.

They watched as two small areas of vapor thickened, shifted, coalesced. One now looked something like the tip of a talon, and the other could be said to resemble a bit of antler.

But it was all that happened, and so they left the tower.


"We're running out of places to look," Fancypants softly told her once the bubble was off. "Safely, for the definition which can apply when searching for them. It won't be long before I have to sneak into places which are less than friendly towards Equestria, and then we'll be setting off for the unknown. And no matter what, there's only so many to find, Celestia, at least for what we can reach. It..." The breath came across as forced. "...may not be enough."

"Not enough on land," she corrected, her field setting the custom breathing mask down. "We know they're in the ocean. Mazein's supposed to be working on something which can stay underwater. I can talk to the Referee --"

It made him smile. "I suspect Rounding Moonsault will be less than happy if you request something without explaining why. Again."

"Then she won't be happy." Celestia was used to that. Mazein was Equestria's oldest ally -- but that was for the nation as a whole. The current Referee generally cooperated (and had to go along with the public vote), but had a few generally-unanswered questions regarding royal motives. "But I don't think most of the nations would donate willingly if they knew what we needed them for. They weren't happy about the parole to begin with: that's never changed."

I hated you...

She knew the thought had been in the past tense, and that it had also had the option to slip back into present at any time. But just then...

"They weren't there," the oldest mare in the world softly said. "They didn't see. I want the search to continue, Fancypants. I just don't know if you should be the one doing it. Going under the waves..."

"Something which can stay underwater," he repeated.

"Some kind of metal tube," Celestia reported. "With thick windows. Which may not completely work."

He considered that. Smiled.

"It sounds interesting. So. Is there a proper etiquette for greeting a centaur? Preferably one which Ms. Manners has taken no part in determining?"

It was a joke, and she wanted to laugh. But...
They keep asking about his condition.
Everypony who was there.
I hated you.
I hate you.
I don't want to owe you...

PreviousChapters Next