• Published 3rd Feb 2019
  • 1,250 Views, 5 Comments

Foalish - Peekeboo



Everypony has something they find comfort in.

  • ...
5
 5
 1,250

Rainbow Dash

Author's Note:

Let me know if you see any mistakes, please!

Everything was fine. It wasn’t broken, she had just looked at it funny. It was just a trick of the light. She was always so careful with it; how would it have been broken in the first place? Yeah. It was perfectly fine! And when she turned back to face it again, she would find that it was just like it always was! In one piece.

It wasn’t.

Rainbow Dash struggled to not let the tears in her eyes fall. She knew this was a dumb thing to get worked up over...but she really couldn’t help it.

She didn’t want her teddy bear to be ripped.

She was well aware that she was to old to have such a thing, and part of her mind said that this would be the perfect chance to finally get rid of it. She didn’t need the stupid thing to help her sleep, or to hug when she felt sad, or to talk to about her day, or-

She slammed her hoofs down on the floor. Her mind flashed back to the day she bought it.

———————

She had just moved out of her parents’ house, and now she felt completely alone in the world.

Although thrilled to be away from the constant smothering from her parents, there was a part of her the missed it. Sure, it was cool being an adult and on your own, and yeah she could do pretty much anything she wanted, but there was still this small part of her that didn’t really feel like an adult. She felt odd. She felt confused. She felt.....small.

She had decided that a walk through Cloudsdale would help her clear her mind. Or at least maybe she could find something to do.

Walking through the city, she had stumbled across a toy store. Normally, she wouldn’t have given it a second glance, but something in the window caught her eye. It was a pale blue teddy bear.

She paused, stepping closer to the window, her eyes locked on the toy. She tilted her head. It looked kind of cute.

Realizing what she was doing, she jerked back, immediately turned away, and kept walking, embarrassed at herself.

As she continued down the street, she tried to figure out why exactly it had caught her eye. It was just some silly foals toy. But something nagged at the back of her mind. There was something familiar about it somehow....

Her old bear!

That’s what it looked like! Her old bear from her childhood that had been lost when her family moved! She had been heartbroken over losing it. Despite her parent attempts at getting her a new one, nothing could have replaced it for her. But now...

She hadn’t even fully realized that she had turned around when she found herself back at the toy store.

Feeling her face turn pink with embarrassment, she walk through the door. Being quick, she simply grabbed the bear and a card that read: “It’s a boy!” (couldn’t risk someone thinking the bear was for her, now could she?) and payed for them.

——————-

She knew it had been dumb, but her bear had made her feel safe. It took her back to a time when she wasn’t always worried about what everypony else thought. Where she didn’t always have to worry about being cool. But now, her bear was laying in front of her, a large rip on its tummy.

‘She must have got caught on something...’ Rainbow thought bitterly, tears threatening to spill over.

She wasn’t any good with sewing or she would be able to fix it....

‘Rarity!’ She thought. ‘Rarity can fix her!’

She paused for a moment. Getting Rarity to fix her obviously meant that she would have to let Rarity in on her secret. Not exactly what she wanted to do....but she wanted her bear fixed!

Having made her decision, her carefully placed her friend in a backpack and made her way to Carousel Boutique.

——————

Rainbow shifted from hoof to hoof uncomfortably as Rarity opened up the backpack and levitated her bear out of it.

When she blinked in surprised, Rainbow braced herself for the teasing of a lifetime. What she wasn’t expecting was Rarity to smile softly at her and usher her into the shop.

“I can have this fixed for you in a jiffy!” Rarity chirped as she levitated a needle and thread over to the bear.

“T-thank you.” Rainbow said quietly, as she peered over Rarity shoulder, watching her work.

“If I may be honest,” Rarity began carefully as she began stitching, “I wouldn’t have assumed you were the type of pony to have a stuffed toy.”

Rainbow’s face burned. “Well...I.....”

“There’s nothing wrong with that, darling.”

She paused, letting those words sink in. “You can’t possibly understand how embarrassing this is. I mean, I’m a pony with a reputation! If anyone else found out about this- hey, what...?”

Rarity had placed the bear back down and turned quickly, walking towards the stairs. “Stay right there.” She commanded.

A moment later, she returned with a locked box and a key.

“Rainbow,” She started, setting the box in front of her and unlocking it, “you are not the only pony that finds comfort in something that’s made for a younger audience.” She took out the garment and handed to her.

Rainbow glanced between the outfit and Rarity before carefully unfolding it. She wasn’t sure what she had expected, but adult sized foal pajamas wasn’t it.

“You...wear this?” She asked.

“Yes.” She picked the bear back up. “I find them to be...comforting I suppose. In all honesty, I thought that I was the only pony with a secret like this.” She smiled brightly as she levitated the bear to her friend.

Sitting down the pjs, Rainbow happily pulled her bear into a hug and nuzzled up to her, thrilled that she was fixed.

“Thank you thank you thank you thank you! She means a lot to me!”

Rarity nodded, watching her friend fondly as she put her own little secret away. “Does she have a name?”

Her eyes widened. “Oh, um...” She coughed awkwardly. “Zoom. I call her Zoom.” Before Rarity could say anything else, she continued. “I...I should probably go. You know, so you can open the store.”

“Thank you. Please, stop by anytime.”

Still somewhat embarrassed at herself, but considerably less then at first, she quickly put her bear back into her bag and rushed out the door, calling a ‘thanks again’ over her shoulder.

Since she was already out, she figured she might as well stop and grab some breakfast. And Sugar Cube Corner has the best muffins!

Walking through the threshold, the store had just opened, and she could hear Pinkie in the kitchen. With a smile, she poked her head around the corner to greet her friend.

“Hey, Pinkie Pie.”

Pinkie turned around and sat down the tin she had just brought out of the oven. “Hi, Rainbow Dash! You’re up early today!”

“Yeah.” Rainbow rubbed the back of her head. “I had some errands to run this morning.” She looked curiously at her friend. “Say, Pinkie Pie, what’s that you’ve got around your shoulders?”

Comments ( 3 )

Pinkie Pie's next, huh? This should be interesting. :pinkiesmile:

Has something happened, you haven't posted another chapter in over a month

so pinkie is next, I wonder, how that'll turn out... :rainbowhuh:

Login or register to comment