• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 15,251 Views, 1,277 Comments

Do you believe in magic? - gcsmith



House and Wilson In Equestria

  • ...
79
 1,277
 15,251

Chapter 4

House nursed his head against cold steel, a gentle summer breeze bringing the sweet smell of honeysuckle to his nose. His view from the barred window was limited, it being placed high into the room and at the outside ground level. Despite this, he could see a large beautiful garden. Probably a different part of the garden he woke up in earlier.

He tore his gaze away from the small barred window and looked around the room. It was sparingly furnished, a simple chair and table sat in the middle of the cell. A single bed sat against the wall, it's pristine white duvet, pillows and sheets seemed rather luxurious for a prison cell in a castle dungeon. The only other fixture in the room was a small bookshelf on the opposite side of the room to the bed. It only contained three books, all of which seemed to come from some sort of Indiana Jones style series. At least that's what it looked like from the covers.

As he stood there waiting, part of him was tempted to reach out for one of them, particularly the one entitled Daring Doo and the Pyromare's Puzzle. His arm twitched but he otherwise held it in check. No matter how interesting the book seemed he just couldn't start reading it. To do so would mean at least part of him believed this was real.

This mental struggle had been happening inside him for the last hour and half, ever since he was incarcerated in this room. His cynical side was screaming at him that this was all fake, that he should be doing what he could to break out and have some 'fun'. At the same time, his more logical side was strangely telling him that this could be real. To begin with he had just dismissed that side of him off hand. After all, how could such a place exist?

Then again, House had hallucinated before. And while it had seemed real then, it had been nothing like this. His hallucinations had merely constructed around everyday events or wish fulfillment. This fell into neither category. Unless his subconscious had been secretly replaced by Wilson's, which would be far more believable than the rest of this. Still, the difference between this and his previous hallucinations was enough to give him pause.

Maybe, just maybe this was real.

A scraping noise outside his cell brought him out of his internal struggle. That was strange, the door to his cell appeared to be made of oak, it's thickness blocking out all of the sound from outside. He couldn't even hear the guard that was stationed outside. So what on earth could that noise be?

The question was answered a second later as a second scraping noise was accompanied by the creak of the door.

"... you guard. I'll knock on the door when I'm finished."

"Very well Princess. But be careful, we don't know what he's capable of."

"Of course. Now, leave us be."

After the brief exchange, another large pony walked into the cell. Her coat was a dark blue, and her mane was black and spangled with white specks which looked somewhat like stars. Strangely, it blew about as if caught in a gentle breeze, yet being inside there was no wind to speak of.

She stood there for a moment, her eyes studying him with a sharp intensity.

"Oh great another Princess. What are you meant to be? Princess of the night?" Sarcasm was thick in his tone, although perhaps fortunately for him, she didn't seem to notice.

"But of course. I am Luna, Princess of the night, and sister to Celestia."

"Luna? Celestia? What kind of stupid names are those?"

Luna just stood there, her face blank. Not showing either anger or annoyance at such disrespect. "Well then, what is your name?"

"House, Dr House."

A chuckle escaped her lips. "House? that's a strange name for a stallion. And a Doctor? Do you fix broken chimneys or something?"

"Only if the chimney is a metaphor for the human waste system," he retorted. "Besides, House is a much better name than Luna. At least my name doesn't seem to promote me as an entity with only one trait."

"Luna is a fine name, and it's normal to have a name that is relevant to one's talent. I mean it confuses ponies when their talent ends up being related to their name, but it's completely normal. What's absurd is having a name like, House, and yet not doing anything with houses."

"Wait, so you're telling me people - I mean ponies - here have names relevant to what they end up doing in life?" Luna nods. "So that 'Twilight' I saw outside with your sister, is she a vampire or something?"

Luna looks at him somewhat offended. "Of course not, where would you come up with an association as silly as the name Twilight and a vampire? You're lucky it is me meeting with you now and not my sister. She wouldn't take so kindly to the mocking of her student."

"What's the worst she could do? This is most likely a hallucination, so I'm not really afraid of anything she could do to me. Besides, with my imagination, it would probably end up involving a pole and strippers. Not something I'm adverse to."

There was a short silence after House spoke. She looked intrigued at what he had said, although a bit appalled at the same time. Maybe something to do with the mention of strippers and her sister together.

"Hmm, so you think you're hallucinating? That would explain the jumping on my sister's back." A rather large smile appeared on her face as she said that. "By the way, that was hilarious. It was worth being kept up by overdue states of court just to see that." She gave a chuckle, it's sound so infectious that House couldn't help but grin.

The laughter only lasted a short while, after which Luna paused to wipe a tear from her eye before continuing to speak. "As funny as that was, I can assure you that this is not a hallucination. And, I would advise you against doing actions like that in future. As rough as you are, you seem to be funny and I would hate to see a creature so... 'unique' get into to much trouble."

"How can I trust you when you say this isn't a hallucination?"

"Well, I guess if it's a hallucination you can't. But then again, what's the harm in playing along? Surely there is a bigger risk to you if you continue to act like it is one when it isn't than if you act like it isn't when it is?"

She had a point, House conceded in his mind. Maybe it was easier to play along, and if this was a hallucination it would end when it goes beyond what his mind could believe. And if it wasn't? Well he was making it easier on himself. He smiled, making things easier for himself wasn't something he usually did. Then again, he had done a lot recently which wasn't usual of him.

He was about to admit the logic behind her words to Luna when he realized something seemed off. Something about what she said troubled him. He put his hands instinctively into his jacket pocket, reaching out of habit for his bottle of Vicodin as he tried to locate what bothered him about her statement.

His rummaging in his jacket seemed to interest Luna, who looked on intently as he fumbled clumsily checking various pockets, turning out each one in succession. She was curious, after all his pockets were emptied before being chucked into the dungeon, so what was he looking for? She was tempted to say something about it when House stopped his searching and instead turned his attention to Luna, a gleam in his eye.

"You said unique? What did you mean by that?"

"Well, what does somepony normally when they say that? I mean you're unique. You're the only creature like yourself I have ever seen. Like some sort of scaleless dragon."

House was mildly curious about the mentioning about dragons, but stored that question away for a later conversation. Right now he needed to question her on him being alone. Surely Wilson should've been here with him? Then again he hadn't seen him when he woken up earlier.

"So there wasn't someone else found in the garden?"

"Someone else? You mean like you?" House nodded, and Luna shook her head. "Sorry, no. Why should there have been?"

"Just a friend of mine, if this is all real, then we were together when whatever brought me here did whatever it did. I was just thinking it might've brought him as well."

She looked at him, he seemed really downcast about the absence of his friend. It was something she had experienced, not too long ago. She had experienced the crushing loneliness of not having a friend last Nightmare Night, when all the towns ponies she visited had run away in fright. Apparently, ponies still hadn't got over all that Nightmare Moon and the trying to drown Equestria in total night stuff. It had hurt.

Thinking back, she couldn't blame them. Until that night she hadn't really been out of the palace since her freedom from her dark self. And she had been quite a bitch she had to admit when she had been Nightmare Moon. Without visiting ponies, it was easy for them to forget she had been freed in the first place.

Luckily there was one pony who hadn't forgotten. Twilight Sparkle, her sister's student who had been staying in that town - Ponyville - to study the magic of friendship. It had been her, a pony who had experienced similar friendlessness, who had gone out of her way to make friends with Luna and help her get along with the other townsfolk. An act of charity she would not soon forget.

Now here she was, standing in front of a creature - what word had he said earlier? Human? - who could use a similar act of kindness. She wanted to help him, but her sister had put him here. She couldn't go against Celestia's authority. Besides, she overheard the mention of Twilight interrogating him. Apparently, her sister and her sister's student wanted to find out more about him.

"Well, I'll keep an ear out for any information, you have my word as Princess." She held out her hoof for him to shake, but he simply looked at it, eventually she put it down rather embarrased. "Do you mind telling me his name so I know who to look out for?"

"Wilson, Dr James Wilson."

"I will keep an eye out." She smiled, "anyway, I need to take my leave. I have royal matters to attend to and a bed calling me." Luna turned and knocked on the door, it was opened rather quickly and a grey coated guard could be seen over her shoulder, his hooves raised to attention.

"By the way, I think my sister's student may be coming to ask some questions later. Just a heads up." With that she was gone, leaving House to his thoughts.

He just stood there for a moment, thoroughly confused. Now he felt even less sure on this all being some sort of crazy hallucination. Not that it mattered, the princess had made sense. It would be more logical to behave as if it was real anyway, less consequences. Normally he would consider pushing his mind over the edge, but if his mind had come up with talking ponies then that edge would be pretty hard to find. No, far better to act as if it was real.

Besides, he could still be an ass.

With his thinking over, he walked over to the book case and selected the book that had caught his fancy earlier. Might as well not be bored before Twilight came to talk to him.


Lockjaw slammed a hoof to his face in frustration, ignoring the pain that formed on his already bruising face. "You want me to release him? But sir he should be sent a psychiatric ward!" He was standing face to face with Lieutenant Day Break, head of the day shift force of the station.

"Really? Why is that?" Asked the yellow stallion, his voice calm despite a subordinate questioning his orders.

"Because he believes he should be something called a human!"

"And? Didn't you hear what the psychiatrist said?"

"Yes, but.."

"So what did he say?"

"He said that despite the claims of suddenly coming here from another world and being randomly turned into a pony he exhibits none of the normal signs of insanity."

"And?"

"And that his mind was clear of any abnormalities on a medical scan. But sir, how can somepony who believes they have lived a whole life as a 'human' not be insane?"

"Several reasons; the psychiatrist said it could be affect of the alcohol from last night, maybe he had mixed it with some drugs and this is the result. If so, his normal memories should return as the drugs wear off."

"Shouldn't we keep him here until he's completely off the drugs then?"

"I believe he may already be improving, what do you think?" Day Break indicated with his hoof to the one way window that looked into the interrogation suite. "He's definitely a lot calmer than before. His eyes have even stopped twitching. I think he should be fine to let go."

"But sir..."

"What?"

"He had no house keys or identification of any kind, no wallet and no money on his persons. How will he get home?"

"Well, if he has no wallet or money, he can't of come from outside of Canterlot. Most likely he'll be seen by one of his friends or family. Besides, once the drug has worn off fully he should be able to make his way home on his own. And a family member should be able to let him in."

"And if he has no family?"

"It's not illegal to break your own door down."

"Ok sir." Said a now dejected Lockjaw. "I'll release the detainee."

"See that you do," a smile formed on Day Break's face. He turned away and began to walk away before turning his head to face Lockjaw again. "You know what would be interesting?"

"What sir?"

"If what he claimed, was true. I haven't had much excitement around here since the changelings. I think a creature being brought here mysteriously from another world might cause some fun." With that, he continued walking away towards another part of the station. The task of day staff being far more busy than night.

Lockjaw turned back to the window and looked at Wilson before sighing. He felt like what he was about to do was wrong, but orders were orders. He walked over to the door and placed a hoof against the metal, pausing only to sigh, he pushed it open and went in.

"Detainee Wilson. It looks like you're free to go..."


[A/N]: Well I know what you're thinking, that was short. And it was. Really sorry about that. In my defense it was all I had got done as a solid segment before revision and exams and I decided to give it to you guys than have you wait ages for more. Should set some plot up :D Hope you enjoyed it and are eagerly awaiting more.