• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 15,236 Views, 1,277 Comments

Do you believe in magic? - gcsmith



House and Wilson In Equestria

  • ...
79
 1,277
 15,236

Chapter 10

The hospital was heaving, it's staff stretched thin, almost to the point of breaking. Every single room and ward available was being used to house the victims of a recent train crash, involving the collision of two locomotives which had left many dead and hundreds of others injured. It was all hands on deck in order to save as many lives as possible, no doctor was spared from overtime, not even the Dean of Medicine.

Eric Foreman stood was attending one of the survivors of the wreckage, not one of the worst off, but they had still suffered a rather serious gash to the head. He had just finished stitching the wound and was about to start testing for a concussion when a rather, tall, handsome man with sandy hair and an outrageous accent charged into ward.

"We've got a problem!"

"I'm well aware of the problem Doctor Chase, it's a problem everyone - including your team - apart from you seems to be dealing with."

Chase took a moment to survey the seen of chaos that filled the ward. "Oh, the train wreck? Yeah I know about that, I just got a bit distracted."

"Distracted by what?!" Foreman was nearly shouting, however, his face was still as emotionless as ever.

"This." He reached into his lab coat and pulled out a folded up piece of paper and handed it to Foreman.

Foreman unfolded the paper and looked at for half a second before handing it back, "A photo? That's it? That's worse than the excuses House tried to pull."

"It was taken yesterday."

Quickly, Foreman took the paper back, and studied it intently. "Are you sure?"

"Positive, got a friend to check over and make sure it was legit, it's what took me so long."

Foreman stood perfectly still for a moment as his eyes scanned the paper. "We've got to find them."

"Aren't you going to think about the bigger issue? He's alive Foreman."

"Chase..."

Chase glared at him, "You knew didn't you?"

"I had reason to believe he was alive yes."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because, it was only a hunch. Besides, lets say I knew for definite that he was alive, why should I have told you?"

"Because he's my friend," Foreman just stared blankly back at him. "Okay, my boss. But you still should have told me."

"Just drop it, Chase, whats done is done."

"Alright, so what do we do, Foreman?"

"We? We do nothing, I have to stay here and look after my patient and the situation here. You however, can find out where the picture was taken and get there as quickly as possible."

"Why me? And why do we need to go at all?"

"Because you think you're the only one to find this picture? He faked his death, Chase, and he had a lot of time left to serve. If the police haven't seen this picture, I'm sure they will soon enough, you need to get there to try and stop him getting arrested."

"Why do you care so much?"

"For the eight years that we've known him, he was an arrogant selfish ass who we tried to change many times. Or at least, Cuddy tried, and failed each time. Yet, two months ago, Chase, he changed."

"Changed? No one ever changes, Foreman."

"He did. Look, all he ever cared about was puzzles. Now tell me, would the person we knew have thrown all that away by faking his death? Never having the chance to practice medicine again."

"No."

"Exactly, yet, if he's still alive, that's exactly what he did. That means he changed. Sure it took Wilson's impending death to do it, but it's happened."

"Okay, you may have a point. I'll go find them and see what I can do." Chase took the piece of paper back, and left the ward.

Foreman looked down at his patient, their attention was focused directly upon him. Clearly they had been listening to his conversation. He sighed and muttered under his breath, "I hope you have a concussion."


House skidded round the corner, startling two nurses - he assumed they were nurses due to the white hats with red crosses they were wearing - who dropped a tray of implements and curses towards him as he suddenly appeared in front of them. He had to admit, it didn't seem that being in a land filled with ponies instead of humans was going to be all that bad, even if it was a hallucination or coma. He had his leg back, and could once again - it seemed - he could practice medicine, and hopefully it could provide a lot of puzzles - especially since he'd have a lot of new diseases to encounter.

He was practically giddy with excitement. First things first though, he had to find Princess Luna, after all, she was getting him a team. There was the added fact he had no clue where exactly he was, so he thought finding someone or a pony he recognized would be nice.

About to barge through a set of double doors, he found himself bounced back as the full weight of the doors hit him as they opened. Colliding with a nearby wall, he slid to the ground, and looked up with an irate smile to see a rather apologetic looking Luna and a pony behind her who was desperately hard not to acknowledge his existence.

"Ahh, Doctor House, there you are." She lifted him up with her magic and settled him on his feet. "Sorry about that, probably shouldn't have barged through quite so quickly." She gave him a few seconds to regain composure before continuing to speak. "I wanted to tell you that I've assembled your team," she shifted her wing to completely reveal Twilight to his vision, her face aghast at the knowledge that she would be working with him. "I would introduce you, but I get the feeling you already know each other." There was a faint glimmer in Luna's eyes, and House could swear he detected a note of Joy in her voice during her last sentence.

'It looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun messing with this Princess,' he thought to himself.

"Princess, I must state my disagreement with this decision. I can't work with him," complained Twilight.

Luna turned her attention to Twilight, hitting her with her best negotiating face. "Twilight, you can't expect me to believe you'd put my sister's - your mentor's - health at risk by refusing to work with him because of a simple upset."

"Technically, as part of 'my' team, she'd be working for me, not with me." Said House from the sideline, with a little bit too much glee.

"And it wasn't a simple upset, he tried to ride the Princess, Princess."

"Twilight, while it's likely that what happened to my sister is just the result of a simple accident, it's also possible it's something very serious. Neither I, or my sister, have ever been really ill our whole lives. Nothing beyond a cold. You must trust me when I say that it would be unwise to not have Dr House assist our own staff by providing his own diagnostics."

"Why should I trust you?"

Luna sighed and ran a hoof across her face, House observed that she clearly wasn't used to any of her subjects arguing back to her. After a couple of seconds she regained composure and leaned in towards Twilight. "Because Twilight Sparkle, I have talked to him myself, and when he said he was a Doctor back where he came from, he also said he dealt with cases that no other doctors of his kind could deal with. When he said that, I saw a gleam in his eyes which I have seen in various places throughout my life. In each case the gleam has meant one clear thing, that whoever had it did what they did because they relished the challenge, the puzzle, of it. It's a gleam that not even our own brilliant Doctor Hoarse has. And if I can think of any great medical puzzle, it's a seriously ill Alicorn, a pony with the traits of all three species of pony-kind, who never normally get ill."

"It is for this reason, Twilight, that I believe he would a great asset to us. His love of the puzzle presented, his drive to solve it, that will overcome any personal problems he has for my sister, or you for that matter, and ensure he performs his best. His 'need' to solve this puzzle is exactly what we need right now."

"Alright, that makes sense, I guess." Said Twilight, "It still doesn't explain why I should help him."

"I already said before, Twilight, he doesn't know anything about our physiology, I need you and all of your most likely extensive book knowledge to assist him. I know that your relationship with my sister will mean that, like him, you'll do your very best to find out what's wrong with her - if it's serious. Together, I bet you'll make an unstoppable team."

House rubbed his hands together gleefully, "Well, I'm game." He was happy to see that his eagerness put Twilight in a quandary. She didn't want to appear hostile after his willingness, making her out to be some sort of bad guy. At the same time, she didn't really want to work with him.

Hesitantly, she nodded her head, "I'm in too."

"Good," said Luna happily, "Now I have some business to attend to, the kingdom can't grind to a halt just because my sister is out of it. I trust you know your way around the castle enough, Twilight." Twilight nodded. "Good, well, I'll see you later." Luna gave the pair of them one last reassuring smile before disappearing through the same door she had come through previously, leaving the pair alone.

"So..." said Twilight, glaring hostilely at House. "You're the doctor, what should we do first?"

"Well, normally I'd do a DDX, try and tie symptoms to a diagnosis. Sadly we don't have any real symptoms. Nor do I have any medically trained minions to do my bidding. So I guess we should go to where she fell from and look for clues."

"I guess that makes sense, but might I just ask, if the princess still being out like a light isn't a symptom, what is it?"

"Elementary my dear Watson, it is a symptom, however it's a rather obvious and lest we forget, boring, symptom of her fall. No, the real interesting thing is why a being with wings fell in the first place."

Twilight sighed, House already looked like he was in his element, medicine was his expertise after all, and she felt that it could only cause his arrogance to increase. This was going to be a pleasant experience she could tell. "Alright, I'll take you to where she fell from. But I have to warn you, it's most likely from the balcony attached to her chambers, that means no snooping. You got me?"

"Crystal clear." Said House, his voice filled with what Twilight felt was too much joy for such a response. "Lead the way."


Wilson was worried, before him stood the three little fillies looked up at the guard with the wide-eyed innocence that only children could pull off. The guard stood blocking the way at the main gate to the palace grounds, his piercing gaze almost seemed to be staring into Wilson's soul.

The guard moved his attention from Wilson to Applebloom, "So you say your sister is in the palace right now?"

"Yes sir, her name's Applejack."

"And what was her business at the palace today?" asked the guard, his voice a nice neutral monotone.

"She had a meeting with Princess Celestia, I think it was something to do with discussing business." Answered Applebloom.

The guard thought for a moment, deciding what to do, before pulling a piece of parchment and quill from underneath his uniform with his magical grip. Quickly he scribbled something down, and with a burst of flames which caused Wilson to jump - a response which caused the guard to chuckle - the parchment disappeared.

"I take it you're not from around here, Sir?" the guard asked Wilson with a slight mocking tone.

"Y-you could say that, yes." the startled Wilson replied.

"So, what is your relationship to these fillies, sir?"

"Me? Um... Well, I had seen them wondering around part of the city rather lost. I had bumped into their sister earlier in the day, and apparently they recognized me and asked if I knew the way to the palace. I couldn't just let them wonder the city alone, so, here I am."

"Seems fair enough." The guard said.

For the next few minutes, the five ponies stood silently, Wilson and the fillies wondering what the guard was waiting for in order to make his decision. Eventually, an answer came in another flash of fire - which once again startled Wilson - when another piece of parchment appeared in mid air, which the guard caught in a magical grip before it hit the ground.

The guard inspected the piece of parchment briefly before nodding to the group. "Everything seems to be in order, through you go." The three fillies moved past the guard while Wilson stood hesitantly where he was. "It's okay Sir, you can escort them up to the palace." Wilson smiled sheepishly at him and moved through the gate and raced to catch up with the fillies that had already traveled quite a way up the path in their excitement.

As Wilson moved past, the guard noticed the lack of cutie mark on Wilson's flank and scratched his head with his hoof in confusion before muttering under his breath. "Wow, I feel sorry for whichever mare gave birth to that colt."


Twilight glared angrily at House as he searched Celestia's bed chamber, "I told you not to snoop around!"

"Who says I'm snooping. I'm only looking for common environmental causes of diseases."

"There won't be anything that causes disease in her lingerie draw!" shouted Twilight.

"You'd be surprised, mold can grow in the oddest places."

"Grrr, you are impossible!"

"Actually, I'm here and living, so you meant to say that I'm improbable."

"AHHH!" Twilight banged her head against the wall in frustration, causing House to grin like an evil genius.

'I've got to remember to thank Luna for giving me Twilight for a team later, she's so easy to wind up.' he thought to himself.

"Look, House, you've searched her room - and her drawers - thoroughly, now can we take a look at the balcony." she said in a strained voice as she struggled not to scream at the annoying creature in front of her.

"Alright, don't get your saddle in a twist." House dropped the pair of underwear he was holding back into the drawer, slammed it shut, and then headed out of the door onto the balcony that Twilight had already exited onto and began to inspect it with his scrutinizing gaze.

"Hmm, this is interesting," he muttered, looking at the tiled floor.

"What is?" asked Twilight as she trotted over to him and tried to see what he saw.

"See here," he pointed at some marks on the tiles. "Well, if we look at the rest of the floor it looks likes its recently been waxed. Here however, there are some streaks in the wax, looks like the Princess slipped here recently."

A light bulb went off above Twilight's head. "So she just slipped over the edge of the balcony, and this was all an accident. She's alright." A dreamy look of happiness appeared on her face and she moved to leave the balcony.

"Hold your horses, Twilight. Notice the curve at the front end here, facing towards the door?"

Twilight looked at the streaks and nodded, "Sure I do, what about it?"

"Compare it to your hooves."

Twilight did just that, and noticed that the curve only matched her hooves when she was facing towards the door. House watched her as she worked and smiled when a look of confusion appeared on her face. "But that means..."

"Exactly, Twilight, that she was leaving the balcony when she slipped. Now, how many ponies would slip while moving forwards and end up going ten feet backwards?"

Twilight gulped, "Well, there is one I know," she said nervously as she thought about a particular grey Ponyville mail mare. "But that wouldn't normally happen to a pony like the Princess."

House stood up, and moved over to the safety railing giving it and the tiles a base a quick glance before kneeling and calling Twilight over again. "See here," he pointed at more marks on the floor. "More scuff marks, again pointing towards to door. Looks like she ended up stuck against railing here, and ended up going over."

"Hmm, what does that mean?" Twilight asked, the curiosity showing clearly in her voice.

"That this was no accident. Given the height of the railing and the signs of struggle here, either she was pushed over. Which she could still fly. Or she does indeed have something wrong with her. Could be a simple inner ear problem, or maybe a neurological problem."

Twilight looked at him, "So you have an idea about what she has?"

"Not at all, I just know she must have some sort of illness from the evidence provided. And we do have one symptom, loss of motor control."

"Is that it?" asked Twilight, a note of frustration in her voice.

"It's enough, we proved that she's ill, so your medical teams can watch her closely. And we have a symptom so you can start searching for a possible disease."

"Me? Why me?"

"Because you're the only one of the two of us that knows pony physiology, you have a better idea of what to search for. I on the other hand, need to start learning more about your medicine."

Twilight rolled her eyes and sighed, "Fine! We'll go the library, just need to go via Applejack so I can tell her to come and get us if the Princess' condition changes."