• Published 13th Nov 2018
  • 1,355 Views, 22 Comments

Captains, Queens, and Princesses - protopony



A request to help finish some overdo paper work in Canterlot leads Twilight to ask where life is taking her and the ponies she cares about.

  • ...
1
 22
 1,355

Chapter 3 : Captians Choice

The clean, healthy pine trees of Whitetail Woods bobbed merrily along past Shining Armors eyes. He smiled. “This must be how Flurry feels.”

Beneath him Sludge grunted. “Who Flurry, Pony?”

Shining turned slightly so he could speak directly to the Diamond Dog. “Flurry is my little filly. I carry her around like this all the time.”

Sludge missed a step and stopped walking. “Pony steals his own pup all the time?”

Shining chuckled, “Flurry would get a kick out of being called a ‘pup’. No, I just carry her alot.” His smile faltered a bit. “When she isn’t flying.”

Sludge made a dismissive sound. “Ponies flying, bleh.”

The unicorn captain nodded his agreement, Bleh indeed. He let his head swivel back to its normal position.

Sludge readjusted his load and again began walking. The diamond dog had been the first to leave the clearing so he was at the head of the column and thanks to that Shining was able to take stock of every member of the small pack. It wasn’t a very dignified way to gather intelligence, he decided, but it was a small price to pay.

The captain counted five dogs following the path through the woods. The two closest to him weren’t exceptional, that he could tell. But their actions told him more than enough. They didn’t look around very much and only rarely, if ever, turned their ears towards any sound the forest made. They were quite comfortable, apparently not much in this part of the forest bothered them. They were comfortable here. Like it was home.

The pair picked an easier path through the forest than Sludge, the brazier carried between them one paw on each side handle. They weren’t particularly careful with it but the mithril chain kept it sealed tight.

The large dog that carried the helping stick, followed after that, the log swung easily in one massive paw. The dog that carried it, Shining hadn’t yet caught his name, actually kept his eyes on his pack mates more than anything else. If either one came too close to him his other paw went to the stick immediately. Looked like ownership of it was more fluid than Shining first suspected.

Mange followed after that. There was something very strange about that one, His eyes and ears were on a constant swivel and he would occasionally sniff the air. His muzzle would scrunch and he never looked completely comfortable or at ease. Most importantly, he never allowed the brazier to stay out of his vision for very long. He would glance at it often and never allowed the dogs that carried it to get too far from him.

Sludge’s stride began to slow. Shining felt him look up more than a few times. The other dogs were soon grouped around him. They were clearly nervous about moving forward. Facing the gathered dogs, Shining couldn’t see what had stopped them but he had a good idea, the forest had been thinning for the last few minutes. He turned his head to look past Sludge, beyond a short clearing he could see the outbuildings of a small village.

“What wrong?” Menge asked. There was a lot of shuffling of feet and clearing of voices.

Shining almost thought that the other diamond dogs looked at Menge with incredulity, boarding in contempt. He was about to ask Menge the same question when, under him, Sludge tensed. A loud whimper escaped him. The other diamond dogs drew their weapons.

Out from the ground, in the clearing just past the tree line before the forest floor gave way to the foothills of the mountain two enormous forms burst from the ground in a spray of dirt and rocks. The air was filled with the smell of rotted meat and the sound of clicking mandibles. The diamond dogs around him cringed but held their ground. Shining wasn’t so lucky.

The smell was so foul it began to overwhelm his nose and his eyes began to water. His stomach threatened to release its contents down Sludges back. Shining furiously tried to rub the tears from his face so he could see. He could hear that whatever had moved against them was large. Large enough that he wanted eyes on target.

Sludge noticed Shinging's distress and whipped his head around to face him. The quick movement reflexively brought the captain's head around to meet the eyes of the tall diamond dog. Without so much as a word Sludge's wide tongue darted out and whipped the end of Shinnings muzzle. Shock and confusion filled the guard captain as Sludge shrugged the dead weight from his shoulder and reached for a stone topped club tucked into his belt.

Shining was about to curse the diamond dog for dumping him when he realized he could breathe again and his eyes were no longer watering. The slobber covering his nose, while not pleasant, was protecting him from the debilitating smell. He had to remember to thank the diamond dog for his quick thinking. That thought caused him a quick double take. Were diamond dogs this smart?

As if reading his mind the dogs spread out in a defensive formation, Sludge and the other larger dog taking spots on the ends of the line, the smaller dogs in the center. They had left the brazier behind Mange who had placed himself behind the defensive line. The helping stick was secured to the larger dog's back and he lifted two large stones from the ground.

Mange took his place behind the line near to Shining Armor and pulled a finely crafted mace from his belt. “You help, pony?” He asked.

Shining nodded, getting unsteadily to his hooves.

The smaller dogs began whimpering noisily. too noisily, Shining noticed. He realized that they were baiting whatever was bearing down on them. His opinion of diamond dogs went up considerably. He’d have bet good money the dogs would have broken ranks and routed.

The clicking grew more fervent and Shining caught sight of the monsters. Moving on eight chitinous, segmented legs the creatures shuffled forward toward the dogs. Large twin pinchers began snapping in their direction. Shearing left and right over and over, searching as much as attacking. Giant crustaceans covered in dirt and rock, beady eyes extended on thin stalks. Mange and his comrades began shuffling nervously side to side, but they held their ground. The large gray pinchers, marbled with green mossy spots, reached out testing the air in front of them. They lumbered forward, their mandibles clicking hungrily.

“Rock lobsters don’t have very good eyes.” Mange informed the captain as Shining took a place between the smaller dogs and began whinnying in what he hoped was a distressed manor.

Equestria held a diverse amount of wildlife and Shining wasn’t too concerned he hadn't heard of these creatures before. This close to the Everfree there was no telling what might have wandered from the borders of the wild forest.

Random encounter. Poindexter's voice narrated in his mind. Two ‘Rocklobsters’ medium sized crustaceans, high armor class, medium speed. Burst from the ground in a surprise attack, means the loss of initiative. The party starts at a disadvantage.

Years of playing Ogres and Obelisks helped as he analyzed the situation. As far as anypony else was concerned the Captain, ever confident, was so skilled that no situation seemed to bother him that he always had a plan and an answer. But Shining Armor knew better. He knew that every bit of knowledge he gathered filled his experience, every book and report read, every story visited. And with a sibling like Twilight reading and gathering knowledge was just the way things were growing up. Shining had an answer and a plan because formulating them had become second nature.

Though he knew nothing of this particular creature, every little detail he could confirm would build a winning strategy in his head. “Only newbies rely on chance and the dice.” His friend Pointdexter would always say. Shining wholeheartedly agreed.

“Just keep them focused on you, they’ll never know what hit them.” Mange spread his legs wide and began changing in a language Shining had never before heard. He began waving his arms in large motions as if coaxing some power or creature from the ground. The temperature around the strange diamond dog plummeted, and Shining felt a chill race along his spine.

Menge clenched his fists and they glossed over with an unnatural frost. He grunted to the larger diamond dogs and they each lifted their respective weapons in his direction, their longer arms easily bringing them into range of Manges hands.

Still chanting, Mange laid his palm on the stone head of the mace and on each of the boulders. Once his palms touched the weapons the frost spread outward covering the head of the mace, The nameless dog shuddered as the frost covered the boulders in his hands and reached his fingers. His shudder became a pained hiss but he held fast.

Mange blew out a tired breath and fell to one knee behind the line. He shook his head in frustration. “It shouldn’t be that difficult.” he muttered under his breath.

Your strange companion seems to recognize the beasts. Poindexter narrated in Shinings mind. He clearly isn’t a local as Diamond dogs have no known magical abilities and he does. He casts a Frost brand on his companions weapons but it takes a lot out of him. Sub objective : protect the caster, give him time to gain mana and cast again.

The closest rock lobster lumbered into range reaching for the smaller creatures, its mandibles clacking together eagerly. Once it was in range the first beast took a direct hit to its head, Sludge’s mace crashing down, breaking armored carapace and snapping the twin eyestalks. The creature screeched in surprise and pain covering its head and hunching into its shell. It’s flesh freezing and crystallizing.

Rock lobsters are weak to Ice and freezing attacks. Poindexter noted.

The improvised formation worked to the dogs advantage as the two lobsters pushed forward in the center of the line giving Sludge and his companion the perfect opportunity to surround the beasts and attack from behind.

The remaining rock lobster seemed to realize its brother had fallen in its path and with an effortless display of power it reached under and flipped the now useless creature out of its way.
Mange grunted as the crustation, nearly four times his own weight, came crashing into him. His frosted mace dropped from his paws as he reflexively reached out to cushion the fall.

Unfortunately his left paw landed awkwardly on the mace. It rolled to the side and he howled in pain as it twisted his wrist out of position. The crack of bone was followed by a louder piercing howl. Mange cradled his broken wrist to his chest, the white of broken bone showing through ripped bleeding skin. He whimpered pitifully and tried to scoot away from the battle.

“An enemy's critical success is the same as your critical failure. This doubles the odds of both.” Shining winced, not now Dex.

The rock lobster rounded on the downed diamond dog, its mandibles clacking excitedly as it smelled the blood in the air. It began to prance excitedly with its segmented legs sending a coordinated rhythm deep into the rocky foothills of the smoke shrouded mountain.

Mange and his pack of dogs began to panic, their ears dropped and tails tucked tightly between their legs. Whimpering that had been loud enough to use as bait became quieter but more desperate as the pack cohesion visibly deteriorated.

“Get out! Get out!” Mange’s voice carried an air of desperation that immediately raised Shining Armors hackles. He reached over and chomped down on the vest of the closest dog and with a powerful twist of his neck cleared him from the line.

As he reached the other direction to pull the second dog away the ground they both stood on erupted in a spray of rock and dirt that blinded them.

A third monster joins the fray. Roll a moral check.

Shining cursed. If they flee, Sludge is as good as dead. Diamond dogs have no morale to speak of, they are going to run.

It came to the surface sweeping its arms in wide arcs. Slate gray pincers marbled with mossy green growth rose from the ground snapping in earnest.

Shield him! Drop a shield over him. Shining yelled to himself. His horn wouldn’t light. His magic wouldn’t work. Another life he couldn’t save.

Stinging dirt and smaller pebbles peppered Shinging's belly and undercarriage. A small involuntary hop saved him from losing a foreleg.

No. He said to himself.

The smaller diamond dog wasn’t as lucky, and a pincher caught him around the chest and ribs as the rock lobster pushed itself from the earth.

Not this time. Save him MAKE it happen

Out of breath and disoriented the dog offered no resistance as he was raised to the waiting mandibles. The remaining members of the pack howled with rage as the beast bit into the meat of the dog’s thigh.

“Flea! NOO!” The diamond dog that Shining had pulled to safety howled as he drew a small bone knife from his belt. He scrambled to the Rock Lobster the beast easily twice the size of the pair that had initially risen against them. Instead of mindless attacks the dog grabbed one of the segmented legs that held the beast firm and drove the point of the knife deep into an exposed joint.

Eye stalks swiveled to focus on the creature that had attacked and for a moment considered the small dog. Then with a dismissive turn of its head back to its meal a second leg moved over to crush the distraction. The poor dog, trying to save his comrade, would never know what hit him.
Shining Armour's flying tackle saved the dog's life. The body blow shoved the diamond dog out of the path of the aimed leg, and a quick powerful kick from Shingings rear left leg drove the bone knife through the joint, shattering the knife and knee all in one go.

Off balance the attacking leg reflexively moved to catch the body weight of the Rock Lobster.

Shining armor knew that Flea would soon perish if he didn’t do something but trying to cast his shield again wouldn’t do him any good. He swallowed his frustration knowing full well that to fail to act would mean the loss of life, no sentient creatures deserve this fate.

Now. He told himself. It’s a beast, I’m the Captain of the guard. Celestia's Shield. My basics are more than enough. Can’t use my spells, I need my spear.

Shining Armor lit his horn and reached out with his magic, his pink aura manifested around the helping stick that had been dropped nearby. It flew to his side and positioned itself horizontally in front of the captain. He swept his hind quarters around and whipped his tail across the eye stalks that stayed focused on Flea. It didn’t phase the beast much but it did slow it down.

Special Feat : Morale boost. Shining new that the dogs needed to rally or they would lose this fight and two members of their group, it was time to step up.

The guard captain opened his mouth wide and the astral pocket that was anchored on the tip of his tongue opened. A Brilliant silvery spear head emerged from the pocket along with two sets of fine rivets.

Shining continued his spin avoiding a second crashing leg from the Rock lobster.

As the white unicorn spun away the mythril spear head set its blade on the edge of the helping stick. Shining used his magic and the stick spun along its length in a furious blur. The spear head slid along it. A satisfying buzz and a spray of sawdust filled the air. BLASTING INTO THE lobsters eyes and maw. Still dodging legs from his attacker, Shining felt the weight of the staff he had just created and hacked the ends off leaving it perfectly balanced for him. The spearhead carved a grove in the end of the staff, something for him to grip, then capped one end and the rivets flew into place locking it together.

Shining hopped and bucked, his rear hooves slammed into the elbow joint of the Lobster disrupting its meal once again. The eye stalks turned to consider him but the kick also pushed the captain too far out of range. His magic cradled the spear as it fell along his back, the hairs of his tail sliding along its length till they found the grove at the end then holding gently, almost a caress. Holding a spear again excited him, filled him, like the touch of a lover long lost.

His tail pumped forward, the spear glided along his back, the blade slicing into the thumb joint of the claw crushing Flea. The dog fell into Shining's waiting pink aura and was pulled from the creature's maw as his tail retracted then pumped forwarded again he bent his rear legs lining up the shot. The spear shot forward again, slicing into the mouth parts of the beast and expertly missing Flea’s leg. Shining pulled Flea away, dumping him into Mange’s waiting arms. His hooves moving furiously to keep his balance. He would teach this beast a lesson.

*****

The sun was not very high in the sky and this far north the shadows stretched a bit further than normal. The conditions were ideal to hide the entrance to a small cave that was far off the beaten path to the northern wastes. The cave itself was not one that he would normally approve of as a safe location for changelings but thanks to the love famine that the hive was currently experiencing there was no choice.

The white pegasus had been watching the entrance for several hours. He couldn’t risk himself or any other loyalists falling to that fool Thorax and his soft skinned princess.

The pegasus hopped from the tree and landed in the clearing near the cave entrance. He clicked out the passcode “This Day.” he said.

After a moment a voice responded. “Imperfect.” A changeling drone poked her head out from the cave. Seeing the pegasus seemed to calm her and she clicked a few times then led a small force into the light.

The pegasus frowned, one drone and two soldiers. This wouldn’t do.

“Your signal said there were four of you.”

The drone nodded. “Mending Fences…sorry, Spiracle starved in the night.” Her lip trembled but she looked the pegasus in the eye.

He nodded and looked over the small group, the two soldiers had good coloring and bright eyes. They would be helpful if they survived the trip. He considered the drone, he needed warriors, he should order them to devour her and share what little love she had left. But they were already so few in number and they would need drones if they were going to survive. Vengeance couldn’t be the only goal here.

Green fire engulfed him. White fur and feathers melted away. The changeling captain spread his legs wide and motioned the others close to him. He was larger than the soldiers, blessed by the Queen herself, his chitten shined with health and vitality and his dark red crest marked him as a decorated warrior. His shell proudly displayed the spike granted to officers. He was one of the few to survive the direct castle assault during the Canterlot invasion.


He gathered the refined love that had been entrusted to him by the Queen and forced it to the tip of his horn. A small drop of bright green love colasect and the Captain bent over the drone who looked up and opened her mouth wide. It dropped into her mouth and she swallowed it greedily. He did the same for the soldiers and then ushered them into the mouth of the small cave. The refined love would sustain them for about a week.

“We’ll slowly make our way south to the capital.” He explained. “Her highness should be confronting Celestia now and with any luck we won’t have to sneak in. We’ll travel at night and lay low during the day. Save your love and don’t draw attention. We’ll gather a few more changelings on the way, if we can.

“Yes Captain Pharynx!” they replied

The changelings huddled down near the back of the cave. Pharynx stayed near the entrance he had the most love and didn’t want his forces to expend it if they didn’t need to. His purple eyes fell on a freshly disturbed section of the dirt floor where it was clear that Spiracle had been buried.

He kept his anger in check but added his name to the long list of the fallen and vowed that those responsible would one day pay. No matter the cost. The Queen would take care of the white princess.

So it fell to him to avenge his troops, to take vengeance on the pony that was responsible for the invasion's failure. The one responsible for so much death. He would kill that pony, eat his heart and steal his love for himself. No matter what. Even if the Queen forbade him. Even if he was punished. It was that pony who caused the Queen to lose her way in the first place, his love was too powerful; it had caused her to abandon their normal method of survival, to expose them all, to place their very race in jeopardy.

He wouldn’t let that happen again, he would protect his Queen, even from herself. She would choose the white unicorn again if given the chance.

Before that happened he would intervene. Shining Armor would die.

******

A silence fell over the throne room. The implications of what Chrysalis said sinking in.

No sooner had she finished then Spike's voice interrupted Celestia's thoughts.

“Changeling Magic has been detected. Priority 002.”

Celestia glanced to her sides, both Luna’s and Cadence's ears had twitched, they’d heard the disembodied voice. Luna had a grim frown on her face and her sword still at her side, but the look on Cadence's face filled Celestia with dread. Wide panicked eyes, tears full of hurt and betrayal. In the instant she had heard Chrysalis declare the worst possible scenario was probably running through her mind, Celestia had to absolve the Captain, she knew that Shining would never hurt his wife like this, not knowingly, at least. She had to protect her daughter, and her family.

“You violated my Captain?” she asked harshly, a furious scowl appearing on her normally serine face. The whole court just heard you say Shining has an illegitimate foal, I have to get you to say you seduced him.

A brilliant flash of purple tinted light interrupted anything the Queen might have said. After blinking away the afterimages Celestia was confused, but not surprised, to see Princess Twilight Sparkle standing between the Queen and the three Princess on the raised dias. A shimmering dome of purple energy surrounding the petitioner's circle.

Twilight was standing on her hind legs, her wings spread and a glowing staff held in her hooves. Celestia starred with awe at Twilight. Her former student stood tall over the Queen, the staff in her hooves pulsing with power.

Celestia could also see Captain Fizzlepop positioned behind Chrysalis and four other guards under the shield, surrounding the pair of changelings.

“Queen Chrysalis, stand down!”. Twilight didn’t yell but her voice was heard by all present.

To Twilight's surprise the Queen bowed her head. “As you wish Princess Twilight. As many times as it takes. I surrender. I’ll do anything, just save my daughter.”

Unfazed Twilight nodded. “Celestia, grant me authority.”

Celestia stood. “She has already surrendered Twilight. I can handle this.”

The younger princess didn’t turn around. “I am not letting her hurt you again.” there was a silent plea and a mountain of emotion in the statement. So much so that Celesta sat back down. “Clear the throne room, and grant me the authority I need.” Twilight said.

Celesta nodded, then seemed to realize that Twilight could’t see her. “You have it Twilight.” She then motioned to the guards who began to usher the nobles from the chamber.

“You will renounce your claim to the Changeling throne. You and your line after you.” Twilight started. She had long wanted to ensure that the nation and Celestia would never have to suffer under Chrysalis again and had run though exactly what she would do if she was ever under her power.

“Formally and publicly you will endorse Thoraxes' reign, and allow any other changelings to become his subjects. You will be subject to me and me alone and will never again set foot in Canterlot.” During her speech she had scrutinized the smaller changeling and her odd form and coloring. The conclusion was obvious and uncomfortable.

“You will stand trial for the Rape of Shining Armor.” Tears filled her eyes but remained unshed. “You did, didn’t you?” she couldn’t help but ask.

Chrysalis slowly got to her hooves. “I will agree to become your subject and follow your commands. I will allow the changelings that follow me to choose King Thorax as their leader. My Captain is slowly moving south with the few that remain loyal to me.” She took a deep breath.

“I have already renounced my throne to my daughter.” She indicated the white changeling child at her hooves. “You will have to speak to her about that line of succession.” She breathed deep again. Then looked past Twilight to stare at Cadence.

“I did, I took advantage of Shining Armor, there was no way for him to deny me. I admit my guilt in his rape. He had no choice.” The Queen didn’t break eye contact as she spoke.

Cadence's eyes grew wide, her crystal bow trembled at her side then fell to the floor. Cadence let out a wail of pain and grief and collapsed into her throne. Celestia was immediately at her side, her wings unfolded and engulfed the pink alicorn and she held her daughter in her hooves.

Twilight closed her eyes and absorbed the information. She let out a sigh then focused on the changeling child, her niece if Chrysals was to be believed, and Twilight saw no reason to doubt her.

Chrysalis stepped over her daughter, placing herself in Twilight’s way. “I have done what you asked, that is in my power, in turn you will do all you can to save my daughter. You will use all the knowledge and magic you possess to help her. Won’t you? Please Princess.”

Twilight had tried for years to be as discerning as Applejack in her dealings with others. So many had lied to her for their own personal gain and reasons. She studied the Queen’s face as hard as she could. She nodded solemnly, “Yes Chrysalis, I will. Now stand back.”

“As you wish.” The changeling said, and she stepped back.

Twilight looked down on her niece. “I am Twilight Sparkle.” She began. “It’s nice to meet you.”

Blue eyes that were eerily familiar stared back up at her. “I can taste you.” the filly said.

Twilight blinked “...huh?”

“You…what?” Chrysalis longed to step forward but she held back doing her best to obey Twilight.

“Mother I can taste her, I didn’t know it was her at first but with you over there I can distinguish you both.” The filly grew excited and glanced quickly between her aunt and her mother. She bounced on her hooves, and she licked her lips hungrily

Unable to control herself further Chrysalis rushed forward and held the filly in her graying trembling hooves. Tears fell from her eyes and she openly wept. “You see, you are going to be fine. You will live.”

Twilight glanced at the guards, they still stood and alert and came closer. Her staff floated just over her shoulder, the crystal pointed at the pair of Changelings. Then she sat before the pair and placed a hoof on Chrasylis shoulder. “I think you should explain a bit.”

The former Queen nodded. “Before the invasion...I..and…Shining. I violated him.” She glanced at Cadance who still had her face buried in Celestia's wing but she could see her ear pointed at them, and Celesta was looking right at her, an unreadable expression on her face.

“It was…different, it’s not how Nymphs are conceived and I didn’t know what to expect. I laid her egg a few weeks before the invasion and thought there was something wrong. She wasn’t growing.” She had relaxed considerably believing that Twilight would help.

“I thought she had perished because I was unable to return to the caves under the castle for so long but she was rescued and brought to the badlands. She was alive but exactly the same as when I laid her, I was bothered by this but during my recovery there was little else I could do but pour love into her egg.”

The sound of writing on paper caused her to stop. Twilight had unconsciously started taking notes. A strange writing device scratching the narrative and clicking every few words. A wry grin appeared on Luna's face, she had left her throne and was circling the shield listening and watching the Queen with rapt attention.

“I haven’t fed since the invasion. Shinings’ love was so pure and filling and I thought that it had solved the entire hives’ problem.” She glanced at the surrounding guards. “It’s how we were able to bounce back so quickly.”

Twilight stopped her. “You mean our entire fight in the badlands, you hadn’t fed at all before that?”

The throne room had mostly been cleared but there was a small group sitting just outside the shield. Luna had stopped near Flash, Raven and a second guard pony. Twilight could see Blueblood, of all ponies, fussing over Flash, his mother standing nearby.

Chrysalis' faded mane bobbed as she nodded. “I’m not sure what happened but I can’t remember tasting any emotion after being struck by Shinings shield.” Her grasp on her filly tightened.

“Prisma has never been able to taste another pony or creature besides me. Probably because she is half pony, that’s the only explanation I have. A few months ago I realized that the love I had gathered from Shining was running out, it wasn’t infinite as I had thought. Right now she has enough love to last her three days, maybe more, and I will be dead by tomorrow.”

“That doesn’t explain why she can taste me.” Twilight said. She had already formulated a few theories.

“No.” The former Queen agreed. “But you can worry about that after you feed her and ensure that she has a future. I am your subject Twilight but Shining is her father. If Cadence allows it, please introduce them, tell him…tell him thank you for her and that I’m…sorry, I don’t know what else to say.”

Cadence finally found her voice. “You waited this long so you wouldn’t be punished for hurting Shining!” Celestia’s hoof covered her mouth, and she shook her head.

“I can’t refute that but I will take my punishment. Whatever you desire.” Chrysalis said, she turned her green eyes to Twilight. “Please Princess feed Prisma.”

Twilight's notes stopped and she blushed. Under her in her seated position she brought her knees closer together.

Lunna chuckled.

“How do I do that?” Twilight asked.

What appeared to be a genuine smile appeared on the changelings face. “Just think of somepony you love, the one you love most would be best. Just let yourself feel love for that pony.”

Twilight gulped and closed her eyes.

“OK Prisma like I taught you, reachout feel the love and open yourself, let the void in you be filled, The love will flow in.”

“Yes…I can feel it. It’s there, it’s different but it’s there. I can taste it..it’s….it’s….HURK!” Her cheeks and her eyes bulged, and she began to cry. Cadence’s tears vanished, the sound of a crying child awaking her maternal instincts

The small changeling briefly covered her mouth then was noisily sick, a dark green jelly like paste spilled from her mouth. She wailed with pain.

Chrysalis panicked and pulled her child away from Twilight “NOOOO! GET AWAY” she screamed at the princess. “HOW COULD YOU? YOU’VE KILLED HER.”

The accusation stung Twilight more than she cared to admit. She had been called many things but a foal killer was not one of them, and hearing a filly cry and knowing she was the cause devastated her. She backed off and exited the area of the shield, leaving the guards with the crying filly and her mother. The remaining princesses came close. Celestia and Cadance tried to push through the shield.

Celestia placed her hooves on the shield. “Chrysalis what happened, what do we do?”

“Twilight's love is spoiled. It’s poison for any changeling that feeds on her.”

Celestia was incensed “How dare you! Twilight loves everypony. How could that hurt anypony let alone a child.” Twilight herself winced, tears began to form in her eyes

Chrysalis didn’t answer and Celestia could see magic gathering in her horn. She blinked, in an instant Fizzlepop had the sharpened edge of her shoe pressed against Chrysalis neck. “Stop casting.” she ordered.

The former Queen didn’t stop. “It’s love, it’s all I have left, please let me give it to her. She’ll die.”

“Captain please, let her finish.” Celestia's voice was calm.

“Twilight didn’t want you two to be close, I won’t let her hurt you. I’d kill her before I let that happen.” Fizzle didn’t flinch. “This could be a trick.”

“She won’t Fizzle, she’s protecting her foal.”

“It only LOOKS like a foal. Stay back.” she replied

Cadence longed to cradle the unconscious filly in her hooves. “What did you mean about Twilight’s love being spoiled?”

A bright green orb of concentrated love formed at the top of Chrysalis horn. “Give her this, it will buy her time, you have to save her.” She locked eyes with the Princess of Love. “I’m truly sorry about Shining, I was weak and he was so good to you. I…I love him.”

Tears filled Cadence's eyes but she nodded. “Twilight.” she prompted, as Fizzle's weak aura surrounded the drop of love and placed it in Prismas mouth.

The last bit of color faded from Chrysalis' mane and she leaned forward against Fizzle's arm, unable to hold herself up. “Her love…has spoiled.” She said again as the chitten of her legs began to turn a sickly gray and flake away from her body. “Her heart…has been…broken.”

Cadence gasped, her sister, her friend, broken hearted. How had she not felt it? How had she not seen it?

Chrysalis Green eyes closed and she let out a final breath. “My foal…please.” With a final plea, never once paying for her crimes the changeling Queen died.

Comments ( 4 )

That was a good chapter. It was nice to see Shining Armor being a competent fighter and hero against the giant lobsters.

Celestia glanced to her sides, both Luna’s and Cadence's ears had twitched, they’d heard the disembodied voice. Luna had a grim frown on her face and her sword still at her side, but the look on Cadence's face filled Celestia with dread. Wide panicked eyes, tears full of hurt and betrayal. In the instant she had heard Chrysalis declare the worst possible scenario was probably running through her mind, Celestia had to absolve the Captain, she knew that Shining would never hurt his wife like this, not knowingly, at least. She had to protect her daughter, and her family.

This is the darkest timeline.

I have three questions that I find odd.

I assume we are using the medieval standard of succession if not, which version are we using?

Why did Chrysalis wait to this extent where she had to sacrifice her life to save her daughter? On top of that, why did she not sense twilight's emotion beforehand to knew that her love have been poisoned in some way?

It seems my understanding might be off in terms of the timeline, events, or the order of how things unfolded. Didn't the security system fail? Chrysalis had already infiltrated the castle, made it to the throne room, and it seems the only reason her identity was discovered is because she revealed herself. Additionally, I'm curious about the role of the staff in this situation.

11666717

Glad you appreciated it. The combat is fun to write.

11666723

For the ponies Celestias' reign has been all they've known for 1000 years in many cases her will is absolute, she has done her best to keep the diarchy alive knowing that one day Luna would return. But I don't think she would force Luna to rule if she didn't want too. Ultimatley it would take something drastic to get Celestia off the throne and I wanted Luna to be the catalyst but Twilights growth would eventulay let Celestia give herself permission to abdicate as well. Since they have no living realtives Celestia would have to name an heir, and I think we all belive that that's one of the reasons she was taking on students in the first place. In this story Celestia will definetly be naming Twiling as her heir.

Chrysalis is still evil in this story, she is nowhere near reformed, she still carries the pride and selfishness that she always has, she does love her daughter and she wants her to live, knowing her time is short she opted to wait as long as possible to limit the humiliation that surrendering would bring. She truely belived that Twiligt could and would help her daughter, but she didn't expcet something bad like heart break happening to her. It was a complete suprise for her.

Chrysalis's line is a little more straight forward, the hivelike society of the changelings suggest to me that they are all Chrysalis's children but later episoeds threw a wrench in that idea. I decided that the changlings would be structured a bit differnetly, with drones, infletrators, and soilder variants with Chrysalis at the top, a special organ that she has grants her that ability to sustain the hive and is something that can be passed on. Sucession would be based on that.

To be frank Twiligh is very smart and very clever, she would definitly spend time and energy doing her best to ensure that changelings wouldn't be albe to freely roam the palace. In my mind, as the element of magic, Twilligh would be albe to decern ANY spell she saw cast with her own eyes, her talent and memory leave little doubt of that in my mind. I've no doubt that her wards would be able to see through a changeling disgiuise. But I've also no doubt that the changlings are smart enough to modify thier magic if they need to. Twilights wards would be albe to detect a changling from the season 2 invasion or the season 6 incedent. But they would have altered thier magics after that. The wards only tripped when Prisma transformed in their range, so they didn't necessarly fail, plus it wouldn't have been a secret that Twilight was working on the castle wards.

Chrysalis has been deeply wounded by Shinings shield striking her in season 2, since that time she hasn't had the ability to feed or even taste love, this is why she didn't realise that Twilight had a broken heart, I wanted to make this more clear, I'll see what i can do to revise that.

I love the MLP moive and many of the elements in it. The staff of Staff of Sacanas is one of those things, it's Tireks power built in to a mobile weapon. The Storm king used it to drain Celesta, Luna, Cadance and Twilight at the end of the movie. He uses the power of only Celestia and Luna to play with the sun and then to make the storm at the end. Althought the former three alicors were petrified when their magic was stolen it was clearly painfull and traumatic for twilight to be drained. I wanted that weight to carry with the staff. Twilight would do anyhting to keep Celestia from being hurt again. Shes desperate and alittle angry normally the staff is soemthing she would NEVER use on anyone. The fact that she would even point it at another living pony, to me indicates that she's not entirely in the right here. Once again it appears that i didn't convey that idea. I'll work on it.

Thanks for the questions and thanks for reading the chapter.

Login or register to comment