• Published 13th Nov 2018
  • 1,351 Views, 22 Comments

Captains, Queens, and Princesses - protopony



A request to help finish some overdo paper work in Canterlot leads Twilight to ask where life is taking her and the ponies she cares about.

  • ...
1
 22
 1,351

Chapter 7: Reconstruction

Though Twilight’s tears had stopped by the time she and Fizzlepop had reached her room, she still hiccuped with the occasional sob while leaning heavily on the taller unicorn for support. Her eyes were raw and red, and mucus dripped freely from her nose. Her mane, usually done up in her simple style was matted and creased. With her tail drooping and her ears folded downward she reminded Fizzle of the sad, sorry, defeated pony that once occupied the iron cage in the hold of The Outcast, her obsidian airship. She recalled when the sight of the beaten Equestrian Princess filled her with something bordering on glee. Or at least “not anger” enough for an impromptu soul song to burst forth. Seeing her beloved princess in such a state now filled her with formerly unfamiliar emotions.

Fondness and appreciation. Fizzlepop relished little moments like this. There were times that Princess Twilight seemed regal and unflappable, commanding a respect and authority that impressed the tall unicorn. Her students at school thought the world of her. The citizens of Ponyville relied on her. The nobles of Canterlot hated her, but they hated everypony. These more subdued moments, however, endeared Fizzle to the purple pony.

Twilight was in touch with her emotions in a way that intrigued Fizzlepop. Not the outlandish outbursts of petty jealousies like the Storm King nor the high almost unattainable stoicism of Celestia. Twilight reminded Fizzle that under everything, the highs and the lows, laughter and sadness, that she was just a pony trying to make it through one more meeting, or one more day. One more mistake. In the quiet of her room Twilight wore her emotions on her fur. She laughed heartily, worried fiercely and cried ugly. It made her care for the young princess.

That admittedly confused the guard captain. Twilight was not as strong as the Storm King, she wasn’t even stronger then some of the older dock bosses she worked with on her way to the Storm Spire. She certainly wasn’t stronger then Fizzle herself, at least not in a physical sense. Their own practice and training sessions proved that. Magicly however Twilight was on an entirely different scale, though she didn’t care to flaunt it. Still Twilight possessed an unmistakable inner strength that moved proverbial mountains… literal mountains once she had been told. Fizzle respected that, she wanted that. She also wouldn’t say no to being able to move mountains.

But these instances of self doubt were only reserved for a special few that Twilight trusted beyond measure. The other Element Bearers, Spike, and Fizzle herself. She found it strange that seeing these moments of unashamed weakness improved her opinion of Twilight’s station and especially of the mare herself. She had thought that showing no weakness was what true strength was.

She opened the door to the suite, half leading, half carrying the Princess inside. She sat Twilight near a duplicate of the low table they had just been sitting around and continued on to the kitchen. With Spike still on his extended tour of the Dragon Lands it had fallen to her to learn the proper art of tea brewing.

Her shattered horn sputtered to life and her weak magic filled the small but lavish kitchen. As the stove heated she rummaged through the cupboards. Cookies, hard candy, chocolates were there in abundance and she selected a small tin of chocolates that she knew Twilight would like. She continued to rummage for herself, having not grown up in the literal sugar bowl that was Equestria, Fizzle had not developed a liking for the candies and pastries that other ponies loved so much. She finally settled on a box of simple soda crackers. She added the two items along with a box of those instant tea packets that Twilight wasn’t particularly fond of to a serving tray and headed back toward her charge.

Twilight sat quietly trying to recapture her composure, her eyes closed tightly, her posture rigid and uncomfortable. Normally Twilight would fidget slightly or even fluff and refold her wings occasionally but she didn’t move or make a sound as Fizzle set the tray on the table and sat beside her. The pair sat in silence, only the tick-tock from the hallway clock could be heard.

Twilight tried several times to say something but each time her mouth closed with an audible click. She worked her jaw a few times but never formed a word. Fizzle waited patiently. A shrill whistle announced that the kettle was finished. Without thinking Twilight’s horn lit, and the noise from the kitchen subsided. The kettle floated lazily through the door and over to the table and set itself between the pair.

“I’m, sniff, I’m not good at this am I?” she asked. As she poured the steaming water into the cups.

Fizzle chuckled. “I’d say you’re the best at crying, Princess.” Normally Twilight would have at least snorted at a line like that, and that would have been enough to turn her mood up enough to help her on the way to recovery. This time Fizzle met her eyes and she knew that this was much more serious.

“I’ve spent my entire life trying to please her Fiz. Doing my best to make her proud of me. Trying to show her that I’m worth all the effort she put in to me.” She closed her eyes and sighed. “How do I keep doing that now?” Her eyes locked onto her captain’s, the pain and anguish in them actually making it hurt to keep eye contact. “When now I know that she hates me. That nothing I’ve done has mattered to her.” She looked down and the last of her tears dropped to the table.

With the last of her tears gone a quiet resolve filled the ascended unicorn. Her eyes were still moist but the hysteria had run its course. Twilight grew calm and collected much like how she normally carried herself. Which was a problem, she was now being logical and calculated her fear and anxiety crushed under the pain of her failure. “What do I do now?” I can’t just leave. I’ve got responsibilities now. Ponies depend on me.” She tapped her chin with a hoof.

“Starlight can run the school.” Fizzlepop offered still munching on her crackers. Personally she didn’t care for the abrasive unicorn. Starlight was loud and impulsive. Not exactly bad qualities, but add that to her ‘magic is more’ mindset and you got a pony who thought a little casual brainwashing was perfectly acceptable as long as no pony got hurt. And yes, it was a sore spot that she slung magic around for everything. Fizzle had to carefully measure her magical output on an hourly basis and while she prided herself on the physical strength and discipline that gave her she couldn’t help but envy and resent the guidance counselor.

“We could disappear, nopony could find us if you don’t want them too. You’re smart enough to do it.” She munched another cracker.

Twilight began nodding as Fizzlepop spoke to her. “Yeah….yeah. I am. I can do this.” Her horn lit, pulling a parchment and quill from her mane. The quill sped along the paper drawing several checkboxes with the accompanying items. ‘Emergency Equestria Evacuation’ the quill titled the paper. ‘Identify cause of conflict’ the subheading followed by accompanying check boxes, she wrote under the line ‘Celestia secretly hates me.’ Creating the checkbox that would determine her fate should have felt more dire, but right now the purple Princess found solace in the familiar task.

She didn’t want to remember a time in her life when checklists weren't important. Though she was certain that her father had inadvertently introduced the organizational chart, it was Celestia who had used them as a distraction for her foalhood anxieties. There was something cathartic about taking the overwhelming problems of life and confining them to parchment where they could easily be broken down into much smaller and manageable pieces. The relief they brought to her mind could not be measured.

It was with a happy smile that Twilight began to write out the rest of her master plan that would take her away from Ponyville and Canterlot. Away from Celestia and Luna, Dash and the girls. Spike. Forever on the lam to one of three preselected locations around the globe that she had already decided would be excellent places to lie low for several hundred years. She was nothing if not prepared.

She glanced up to her captain, “Dragon, Breezie or Seapony?” she asked. Fizzle popped another cracker into her mouth and pretended to consider the options, though she had no idea what the three things had in common, she wasn’t even aware what a Breezie was.

“Seapony,” she said at length.

Twilight nodded solemnly, “I was afraid you’d say that. It’s still a good choice though. More than half of the planet is covered in ocean and there’s no way Celestia could search enough of it fast enough. In retrospect choseing anything but a sea faring creature seems dumb now. Nopony is ever going to look twice at another pair of seaponies. As long as we avoid Seaquestria we should be fine. We’d better start eating.” She opened her mouth wide and shoved every piece of candy that Fizzle had laid before her.

“Eating?” Fizzle asked raising an eyebrow.

Twilight nodded still smacking on the mouth full of treats. “It we’re going to be seaponies for the rest of our lives I need to remember what Chocolate tastes like. We won't be able to take many things with us.” He eyes widened in realization. “I’ll have to leave my books too.”

“Ah,” Fizzle said, “How silly of me not to realize that.” She lifted her armor from the floor and began inspecting it. “So I take it you’re expecting me to join in your self imposed exile?”

Twilight’s parchment ripped in half and her left eye twitched. “Yes?” she said quietly.

Fizzle shook her head, “No, that’s not going to happen. There’s no way I’d be able to give your brother the payback I owe him if I go with you.”

Twilight’s breathing quickened, “But...you’re my captain you swore yourself to my service,” her voice desperate.

Fizzle nodded as she lifted and inspected the pieces of her armor. She was quite impressed, whoever had removed it from her person had carefully redone the straps on every piece ensuring that the jumbling and bouncing buckles were not able to ding and scratch the armor itself, she’d have to thank whomever it was at a later date. “Yes, but how does the friendship oath of service end?” she began to dress.

Twilight swallowed deeply. After a moment of mumbling to herself the beginning of the oath she quietly spoke aloud, “...and should the choice arise I swear to not pursue duty for duty's sake, but to always act as the truest of friends.”

Fizzle nodded again easily slipping her armor around herself, though her aura was pale and her magic was weak few ponies knew their way around their own armor as she did. “And I need my friend Twilight,” she said. “I’ve no idea how to hunt your brother down, I’m no tracker. And when I reach him I’ll need you to help me subdue him.” She sighed deeply, “I don’t think I can beat him while he has his magic, hell I don’t think I can beat him hoof to hoof, that’s a first for me Twilight.” The last of the buckles tucked itself under her greaves and she turned to face the alicorn, “I need your help.”

Twilight’s distressed breathing stopped abruptly and a wide smile grew on her face. “Did you just…?” Her eyes grew as wide as her smile.

“You asked me to help you! You ASKED for help!!!” she began to pronk happily around the table. Somewhere Pinkie smiled knowingly. Twilight stopped she seemed to realize what she was doing and the fur around her eyes turned red in a fierce blush. She cleared her throat and refolded her wings. “Wait!” her eyes narrowed in suspicion. She walked toward the captain with a critical eye. “Why are you asking me for help?”

Fizzlepop sighed. “I have one friend Twilight, you.” She shook her head as Twilight took a breath to speak. “I like the girls but they are really your friends.”

Twilight looked hurt. “You need to give them a chance Fiz.”

To her surprise Fizzlepop nodded. “I will, for you. But I need to find Shining Armor, for me. He’s a warrior Twilight. He’s trained and honed his body to be completely under his own control. He’s like me. He’s the only one in this whole blasted country like me.”

Her blush intensified. “Wow Fizzle that’s...um sweet?”

Fizzlepop scoffed, “Hardly, something has usurped that control, he’s not himself anymore. Whatever was in his eyes was evil. Pure and simple. I can’t say I know Shining Armor well but something tells me he’s a lot like you. He’d risk everything if it were you. Once you are thinking straight again you’ll risk everything for him.” She stood tall and proud and snapped her head to the side, her mane falling into place. With a crack she tested the edge of each of her shoes. The blades easily cutting through carpet, padding, and into the marble below her. “I’m going to stop whatever taint is infesting him, you’re coming because you need to save your brother, after that we can decide what to do about Celestia.”

*****

Wind blew roughly through Flurry Heart’s mane and tail. A well aimed blast of magic singed the trailing edges of her hair as it rushed past. She ran a few more steps and she jumped, neatly clearing the gap between train cars. Her hooves skidded as she landed and she nearly took a headlong tumble off the top of the train. The unforgiving desert floor was not a good place to have a crash landing.

“Flurry move!” a panicked voice brought her from her musings.

A brownish blur touched down moments after she vacated the spot and pulled her along in its wake. Bulging saddlebags slapped against well muscled flanks and several gold bits slipped from them, falling onto the tin roof of the train car, the noise drowned out in the rush of wind.

The pair galloped along jumping from train car to train car. She glanced over at her companion. A red bandana was tied about his muzzle masking his features. He turned to look at their pursuers and taunted them in a slightly accented voice.

“Mind the gap!” He winked at her. She heard the smile in his chuckle. She tried to give him a smile in return but it was then she noticed that she too was wearing a red mask around her muzzle. Another blast of magic passed between them. The colt’s eyes widened and he dove for the gap between the next car. His tail snaked around her neck and pulled her along. Flurry cried out as the tug put her off balance, instead of making a deft hop she careened headfirst between the cars. The speeding tracks filled her vision as they rushed up to meet her.

She stopped sickeningly close, her bangs brushing along the steel rails, the colt had caught her around the middle and was holding her aloft over the tracks. “Got ya. Don’t worry.” he said.

“W-W-Who’s worried?” she answered back trying to sound confident. A quick twist of the colt’s forearms and Flurry was nose to nose with him. She finally got a good look at his eyes, light brown, full of good humor and excitement. His eyes closed in what she knew was large smile and she noticed the patch of brown that colored the fur around one of his eyes.

He pulled her back and over the safety railing. They fell together back through the train car door. Once through the doorway he firmly shoved her away form the open door. She was able to catch herself against the wall of the train car as a blast of raw magic tore through the space they had been standing. “That was close,” he winked.

Despite the danger Flurry Heart found herself giggling. He slid the heavy iron door closed and locked it. With a quick motion of his head signaling her to follow he ran for the opposite end of the car stepping around and leaping over crates and luggage. Flurry had to double her pace to keep up. She needn't have bothered. The far door flung open and white unicorn stallion stood in the doorway, his horn charged. The silver star pinned to the center of his wide brimmed hat glinted in a mote of sunlight.

“Reach!” he bellowed, head lowered, targeting the advancing duo. The colt planted his hooves and swung his hindquarters around with a lightning quick movement. Flurry Heart just had a moment to see him wink at her again before he bucked once then twice, sending two small crates hurtling toward the lawpony. His blast of magic blew the first crate apart into tiny splinters. The second crate took him squarely on the horn. Flurry winced as the stallion collapsed to the floor of the car. The colt was at his side before he could rise, his brown hoof placed threateningly on the stallion’s throat. The stallion looked up menacingly at the colt and swallowed. “I’ll never be able to make this right,” the lawpony said, in a regal, but extremely unsettled voice.

“You heard Princess Luna, this is nothing that either of you did or didn’t do.” Her mother's calm musical voice flowed from the colt, thoroughly disappointing Flurry Heart. She blinked her eyes in disbelief until the train car dissolved into the master bedroom of the suite that her family were currently housed in. She felt warmth on either side of her and determined that she was sandwiched between her mother and grandmother, tucked tightly under the comforter of the bed. The older ponies had not noticed she had awoken and she wriggled her face under her wing, feigning aversion to the lights in the bed room.

Several boxes of tissues lay strewn about the bed and floor of Cadence’s master bedroom. Flurry Heart snuggled closer to the large alicorn. Celestia's sobbing shook her small frame, the larger alicorn’s body made the entire bed frame creak. She marveled at the size of her grandmother, she was currently snuggled between her forelegs facing away and looking at her mother’s pink chest. Celestia's long white forelegs encircled her, the fur unnaturally soft and surprisingly cool to the touch.

Her musing was interrupted as she heard Celestia pull more tissues from the box, she heard a faint rustling then the hork of somepony blowing their nose.

“I’m so ashamed Cadence.” Celestia croaked, her throat raw from the sobs. “I’ve only ever felt hatred that strong for two beings: Nightmare Moon, and myself for what happened to Luna. I just can’t believe I was so mad at her. I still am.” she stared past the room, her eyes unfocusing. “It was so real. So visceral. It still is. I feel like I could just walk right up to her and wring her neck, what’s wrong with me? Ugh I still feel sick.” she raised a hoof to her temple.

Cadence reached over to Celestia and brushed her tears a way with her wing tips. “You and I both know that hatred between you and Twilight is impossible. She adores you she fawns over you. She’s a little infatuated with you.” she said biting her lip at the end, her trepidation evident. “Once you two clear this up I’m sure you’ll only grow closer.” She sought Celestia’s eyes. “That wouldn’t be so bad, would it?”

“Yes.” Celestia whispered. “It would.”

Cadence froze. “You don’t mean that.”

“I’ve just used up any progress and good will that I’ve been building for what? Thirty years? You didn’t see her. Her face. Her eyes.” Celestia sniffed. “We probably can work it out but, this will only make her MORE paranoid about what I think of her.”

Cadence reached forward placing her hooves on Celestia's face and looking into her watery eyes. “I didn’t see her face, but I can feel her heart. She loves you, don’t give up on her. Please.”

Celestia met those purple orbs. “She fears me Cadence, do you not see how unfair that would be to us?” Cadences eyes narrowed and she took a breath. “It would taint a relationship before it even had a chance. No, I will reconcile with Twilight and we will make this right, but anything romantic that might have been between us is gone.”

“It can’t be,” Cadence argued. “You can’t let it die like that.” Tears filled her eyes. “Twilight is as good as my sister in every way and you, my friend, my confidant, my teacher. My...my mother.”

Celestia snorted into her tissue, laughing. “So you’re adamant about your mother and sister being in a romantic relationship?” She even had the gall to waggle her eyebrows at the pink princess.

Despite her frustration Cadence snorted as well. “Aside from Shining and Flurry, you two are the ponies I care about most in this world. I found something special in Shining Armor, a love that transcends time and race and station. And I knew Celestia, I knew that we were meant to be together!” She took a calming breath. “And I know that you and Twilight can have the same. I want you to have the same.” she sniffed.

Though her heart had done a few flips when Cadence had called her mother, she knew that this topic was too important to set aside to celebrate. “That’s not all though,” she leaned over and nuzzled her daughters check with her own, “is it?”

Fear and hurt filled Cadence’s eyes and her posture slumped. “I’m afraid for you. I’m afraid you’ll miss it.” She took another steadying breath. “Shiny and I won’t get to grow old together.” She locked her watery eyes on Celestia’s. “I’m the Alicorn of love,” she declared, “And I will lose the one I love most of all. I can’t let that happen to you or Twilight.”

She got up abruptly off of the large bed. Flurry Heart had been on the edge of tears listening to her mother. She gave a yelp of surprise as the mattress on the bed shifted and she tumbled back toward Celestia. It was Celestia’s turn to yelp as Flurry Hearts tiny hooves hit the center of her chest right above her golden petral. It wasn’t painful, it would take more than that to even make the white alicorn uncomfortable, but it was a reminder that they were not alone.

It wasn’t the first time that Flurry had pretended to be asleep for the chance to hear the adults talk openly so she knew how to cover an interrupted nap as well. She began a pitiful but nearly silent whimper as Celestia cradled her to her chest in her magic rocking her silently. “It’s ok my little pony,” she whispered. Flurry quieted down but pressed against Celestia’s field of magic. Celestia responded by constricting her field just a little.

“It hurts me Celestia. To see you alone, to see Twilight struggle. So many ponies want to love her but her heart isn’t free right now.”

Celestia ‘s ears perked and her eyes widened hopefully. “You think so too? How I have hoped that somepony would approach her. One of the other Elements perhaps? Luna must have propositioned her by now, do you think? The way Fizzlepop stares at her makes me think she’ll say something soon. Tell me who do you think?”

Cadence looked incredulous, “It should be you!” she all but yelled.

Celestia smiled but there was no joy or happiness in it. “No,” she said with finality. “I will not initiate a relationship with Twilight or anypony else for that matter.”

Cadences jaw dropped, her legs gave out and she sat heavily on her haunches. “Bwah!?” she said elegantly.

Celestia’s smile grew larger but still no joy found its way to it. The corners of her eyes grew moist. “Who, alive today, could possibly know me well enough to love me Cadence?” her chuckle sounded more like a sob. “Who would be honest with me about their wants and needs?” She lifted Flurry Heart and wrapped her hooves around her, hugging her tightly to her chest. “She’d never deny me. She’d never be happy.” She nuzzled Flurry Heart under her chin and the tiny alicorn began to stir.

Cadence shook her head not happy with Celestia ending the conversation. Celestia saw the anguish and defiance in her daughter's eyes. She sighed. “I’d never initiate...” she said again still trying to wake up her granddaughter, “..but if she would stand on her own, face to face, horn to horn. If she would look me in the eye as an equal and not my faithful student, I’d have no reason to turn her away.” She blew gently into Flurry Heart’s ear, giggling at the involuntary reaction. “She deserves that much. I deserve that much.”

“That could take decades, centuries after what happened tonight!”

Celestia nodded, “It could. And if what you say is true, wouldn’t it be worth the wait?"

“Wakey, wakey sleepy pony.”

****

“I kinda figured you’d be working late tonight. The royal get together and all.” Raven crunched her salad. Her eyes danced over to her dinner partner. Flash sat uncomfortably at the dinner table his soup growing cold.

“Yeah, about that…” Flash let his sentence trail off.

Raven rolled her eyes. “You can’t even smile when you say that.” She smiled beautifully and framed her face with her hooves. “It’s not that hard, come on.”

Though it was impossible Flash got more uncomfortable. He cleared his throat. “Ms. Inkwell,”
Raven’s eyes narrowed “Ms. Inkwell?” she mouthed. “How long have you been home?”

“Only about thirty minutes, Captain Flash.” she sneered.

“And you went right home after your shift?”

Raven nodded, “I came right home, Flash what is this about?”

Flash ignored her. “How well do you know Prince Armor?”

Raven’s eyes widened. “Well he had your job before you did so, fairly well. We had weekly correlation meetings. The Princess, myself and he were practically joined at the hip. You know that work doesn't stay nine to five in the palace. We...” she trailed off comprehension dawning in her eyes.

Flash leaned forward. “We…?” he prompted.

Raven met his eyes. “Are you...is this you checking up on me, Flash?”

He leaned back in his chair. “Were you and Captain Armor involved in any way, personally or professionally?”

“That’s not fair! You can’t shake me down to get answers about my personal life.”

Flash stood up from the table. “Shining Armor just attacked the Twilight guard, he stole from Princess Celestia’s personal vault, he’s missing now, and he used an illusion of you.” Flash’s voice never rose beyond the level of casual conversation. His voice and his tempo never faltered. His eyes bore into Raven’s and despite herself she couldn't help but cringe and sink deeper and deeper into her chair.

“Tell me you are not involved with this.”

Raven looked up. “Of course I’m not Flash. I’m a secretary. I keep Princess Celestia on schedule, not that she needs me. I carry paper and ledgers all day. I have limited access to the vaults that’s it.” She looked into his eyes as best she could trying to show him the truth of her words.

Flash's eyes darted back and forth across her face, her brow, her hooves. He studied the brown haired mare for a long time. He swallowed, “Tell me you aren't involved with him.”

That made Raven chuckle. “In another life maybe. No Flash, I don’t think Shining armor has eyes for anyone besides Princess Cadence. Was that Captain Flash or just Flash asking?”

Flash responded by blowing out a heavy sigh. “Both. Shining stole something big, something dangerous. I don’t want you near him or his sister. They’re both trouble.”

Raven studied the pegasus captain. Flash was level headed and by all accounts a model officer. Paranoia and hysteria were not words that were used in conjunction with his name. Yet he clearly winced when mentioning the siblings. “What happened Flash? You and Twilight were friends, good friends. There were plenty, myself included, that had you pegged for another royal wedding.”

Princess Twilight and I never had that kind of relationship,” he corrected. “And I’d appreciate it if you’d let everypony else know that.” Flash was good at his job but he was unable to keep the bitterness from creeping into his voice.

Raven blinked. She reached out and touched his cheek. “Did she hurt you Flash?” Her voice full of concern. It was common knowledge that the young princess wasn’t the most socially adapt of ponies and it wasn’t out of the realm of possibility that she had done something to damage the feelings and/or the reputation of another.

Flash sighed, “That’s really none of your business and it’s not important anyway.” He sat back down and his demeanor once again reverted to that of a consummate royal guard. “We need to determine if Prince Armor is in trouble or if he IS the trouble.”

The pair were caught off guard as a royal guard entered from the living room entrance. Wet Stone moved up to the pair but then stood unnaturally still as the Guard captain and royal secretary stared at him.

“Yes, Stone?” Flash prompted upset but not angry with the apparent lack of protocol from the guard. But Wet Stone just stood there unmoving, barely breathing. If Flash hadn’t seen him walk into the room he’d have sworn the guard was to most realistic looking statue he’d ever seen. He was about to berate the pony when the something chilling caught his attention. The scalirra of Wet Stones eyes were bone dry as if he had not blinked for some time, but worse still they were tinted a sickly green.

With lightning quickness Flash upended the table he and Raven were seated at. Cold soup and warm salad painted the stationary guard in an array of colors. He pulled Raven behind him and tucked her between the legs of the table. “Don’t move.” he hissed. He took a quick breath to steel himself the left from behind the barrier to face the guard.

Wet Stone stood calmly where he had been, the salad bowl upturned and covering his head like some foal’s idea of a guard helmet. He heard hooves on the floor behind him. He snapped his wing out then spun to face the second intruder.

The fake feather flew from his wing toward the standing guard. It came apart as it darted through the air till it was nothing more than a thin crystal needle piercing the air. It flew true and shattered against Wet Stone’s barding. The rune suspended in the crystal flashed briefly then expanded. If Wet Stone had been aware of his surroundings he’d have a split second to be worried. The air around him grew stale and solidified. He soon stood in the middle of the kitchen encased in magical stasis crystal.

Trusting in his equipment he spun away to face whatever came in from the living room. He wasn’t expecting a sunrise yellow unicorn stallion in a lounge coat with a bad comb over. He stood in the doorway smirking at the guard captain.

“Dad?” he paused. Oh buck me.

“Hey, pin cushion,” the unicorn smiled. The blast from his horn knocked Flash right to the floor.

Raven poked her head out from behind the table. She stared. “Daddy?”

The unicorn smiled like he hadn’t just knocked another pony unconscious.

“What are you do-AHHH!” Her body seized up as a pair of fangs sunk into her neck pumping her full of venom. Her body relaxed and her eyelids dropped.

Queen Chrysalis moved her head away from Raven’s neck, she licked the blood from her fangs and spat in onto the floor. The foul taste remained and she scowled. “This is going to make things much more difficult.”

******

Celestia, Cadence and Flurry Heart had just opened a new box of cookies. The discussion of Celestia’s personal life and how it affected Twilight, and vice versa, had been tabled if only to avoid uncomfortable questions and little ears. So more cookies and milk were procured. Though it was nearing the middle of the night Flurry Heart would not be sleeping anytime soon. She instead found the opportunity to get some very nice ‘grandmare’ time

Cadence looked on and laughed easily but there was a measure of uncertainty behind her eyes. Knowing that her beloved husband was acting odd and nowhere to be found inside the palace, most likely not even in the city anymore tore her up inside. She was just glad that Flurry Heart hadn’t asked about any of it, she hated the idea of fabricating a story just so she didn’t worry.

Celestia’s mask was perfect. If Cadence didn’t already know that she was tearing herself up inside about Twilight she never would have suspected. Celestia appeared to have exactly zero cares in the world except for having a good time with her grand daughter. The pair were currently playing tag on the ceiling.

A mouse sized Flurry Heart was chasing a larger mouse sized Celestia. They were recklessly slaloming around the chandelier giggling like school fillies. Celestia had been out of practice, it took nearly all her mouse sized speed to stay ahead of the smaller pony. Flurry Heart had obviously much more time and freedom to fly. She turned on a bit and was able to close the distance between them every time Celestia changed direction.

She was busy formulating a plan of escape when the presence of tiny hooves on her flank startled her. She giggled again and with a quick flip of her wings she spun and caught the speedy alicorn in her hooves. The pair plummeted from the ceiling and landed with a quiet ‘poomph’ on the king sized bed.

They were about to take off again when Cadence placed a cookie before each of them. Flurry Heart’s eyes grew to almost their normal size as she hugged it to her chest then partook with wild abandon. Celestia on the other hoof had already finished hers and looked expectantly at the full sized Princess of Love.

Cadence sighed and tossed the entire package at her adoptive mother. Celestia happily clopped her hooves together and caught them in her magic. She was about to divide the spoils between her and Flurry Heart when a fracture of light opened in front of the bed. It began as a small mote of light but then seemed to rip the very air in two. The fracture widened like a split seam.

Luna stepped through it into the bedroom and looked about. She spotted her diminutive sibling and smiled widely. Celestia knew that smile and instead of smiling back she settled herself for the bad news.

“I am going to eat this bag of cookies first, only then you may rain on my parade.” She declared in a high pitched diminutive voice. She sat defiantly and messily devoured the cookie currently in her hooves.

Luna was about to protest but a small pony traveling at high speed effectively diverted her attention. With a soft splat the pink alicorn filly landed between the darker princesses eyes. “Aunty Luna!” she squealed. The gathered princesses had to cover their ears the pitch was so high. Guard dogs sheltered miles away in the barracks whimpered their agreement.

Luna’s eyes widened, “Nopony has informed me that the Alicorn of Insects had decided to grace us with her press ants. Behold!” she turned striking a fine pose. “Be sure to capture my good side!” Flurry Heart giggled.

Cadence groaned. “‘Press ants’, really?” Luna smiled.

“Dad says the best side of any mare is the south side.” Flurry proudly repeated.

Luna nodded sagely, “Your father is correct, and quite wise. You’ve chosen well Cadence.”

Celestia chuckled spraying crumbs on the bed sheets and Cadence could only sigh in frustrated agreement.

Luna sat at the foot of the bed. Fishing out a few cookies for herself. “I’ve found no trace of the entity from Fizzlepop’s memory present around you or Twilight.” she began. “Neither of you have dreamed so I shall visit you both tonight.” She crunched noisily. “However, that is not to say no other trace has not been found.”

Celestia began crunching on another cookie waiting for her sister to continue. It was good to know that she and Twilight may begin to patch up their relationship sooner rather than later.

Luna swallowed. “I’ve found traces of the mist emanating from the dreams of one of the relatives of the Element of laughter. The eldest sister to be precise. I dare not confront it without some form of defence however.” She looked to Cadence, “I have some questions regarding your magics and wards.” Cadence nodded.

Celestia tried to put the pieces together. “To my knowledge Fizzlepop and Pinkie Pie’s family have had no extended contact. I fail to see how such a thing could be connected to them.” She tapped her chin. “Still this is more information then we had. It may well prove useful. Thank you Luna.”

Luna scuffed her hoof on the floor. “I’m afraid I’m not ready for a dismissal quite yet Celestia.”

Celestia bade her continue.

Luna lit her horn, removed Flurry Heart from her horn and placed her back with her mother. She took a deep breath. “It is time we faced a hard truth Celestia. Night Court has been a disaster.” She sat heavily and raised a hoof forestalling any debate or argument. “I will of course defer to your judgment in most things, but for this thing for the good of Canterlot and my own piece of mind, I am ending it. Judge Stone and his staff have my gratitude for their assistance and hard work. And I am prepared to compensate them from my own coffers for their stalwart service.”

An uncomfortable silence was broken only by the sound of the diminutive alicorn crunching on cookies. She calmly ate two more while Luna could only look on. Finally after her third cookie Celestia stood. With a flash of her horn she restored herself to her full size. She swallowed. “It’s not just Night Court, is it?” Though it was almost imperceptible Cadence saw the muscles under Celestia's flanks quiver ancient fight or flight mentality subconsciously manifesting itself.

“I love you sister.” Luna said stepping forward and placing her face along the side of Celestias. “I love our subjects and I love Canterlot. This is my home and I will stay as long as you let me.”

Celestia’s body had stiffened and though she looked relieved at Lunas last statement her prompting was barely a whisper. “But…?”

“I am no administrator nor ruler of Canterlot. I did not build, shape or defend her. I have only gotten in the way of it’s true ruler, I have caused delays and mischief to her citizens and stewards.” She retreated so she could look into Celestia's eyes. “Once that would have angered me. Once that DID anger me. I am ashamed to admit that it has taken a thousand years for me to see my folly. I am not you. I can not gain the trust or the love of our citizens by being you.”

She took the decanter of wine and drained it. Celestia seemed to be at a loss and Cadence only shrugged in response. Flurry Heart was a bit confused as to what exactly was going on but even she could tell that something big was happening.

“I am in over my head Celestia. The nobles despise me and the populace distrust me. I need to reconnect somehow.” She stood tall and looked Celestia in the eye. “You are Queen of Canterlot in all but name. A title earned over a millennium through action. It is something I too must earn again.”

Her horn lit and her starry longsword drew forth from her wing. She bowed low, bending her left leg and sliding her right far forward. Her wings extended and the sword set lightly on them hilt on the left and point to the right.

“I am the Alicorn of Dreams.” she declared. “The edge of night. I stood with you against Chaos and Shadow. I fell once but now stand tall. I am the full moon and the guiding light.” A warm wind swirled around her horn billowing her mane and tail in large plumes of translucent star light. “The lost traveler and the weary sailor call me friend. The artist and performer name me inspiration. I am the mind given purpose.” She laid her sword at Celestia’s hooves.

“The world and the ponies we once served is lost to me. Until I have earned that place again I submit to your rule. Accept me and I shall be the shield of their dreams, and the sword of their desires.”

Celestia stood quiet for several moments gathering her thoughts and looking between the sword and her sister. She grasped the hilt in her magic and turned the blade under Luna’s chin. With light pressure she raised Luna up off the floor and pressed the blade into her magical grasp.

With tears in her eyes she embraced her and spoke quietly into her ear. “You made it sound as if you were leaving.” She hugged her so hard the tears once again flowed from her eyes. “I could never bear that again. If this is what you want, if it will make you stay I’ll give you anything.”

She buried her face deeper into her sisters embrace. Her relationship with Twilight had been through so much and she wasn’t even sure how it turned out. Possibly losing one member of her family was hard enough. She’d never survive the loss of two.