• Published 13th Nov 2018
  • 1,351 Views, 22 Comments

Captains, Queens, and Princesses - protopony



A request to help finish some overdo paper work in Canterlot leads Twilight to ask where life is taking her and the ponies she cares about.

  • ...
1
 22
 1,351

Chapter 2 : Overconfidence

Luna was bored. Captain Fizzlepop was quietly reflecting on these new revelations no doubt, the Lunar goddess thought to herself. Celestia had, most likely, formulated any number of plans and protocols which would use the information gleaned here for the good of the nation. Luna envied her sister for that. All the intrigues, scheming and planning, they were so easy for Celestia to navigate. How Luna longed for the day when her diplomatically minded sister’s words fell short, allowing her, the general of the pony armies to once again brandish steel and magic. Those were the answers SHE understood. Alas times had changed, Luna’s sword, once second to none in the known world, sat unused while Celestia’s pen shaped and guided with seemingly effortless ease.

Luna was not truly disappointed as perhaps once she would have been. The wonders of this new world overshadowed even the greatest accomplishments of a thousand years ago. Wonders she was sure that would never had been possible had it not been for Celestia. She had stared for hours captivated by the architecture of Canterlot. Manehatten had seemed a city plucked from the heavens and set upon the shore. Buildings taller than anything she had ever seen cast in what seemed to be perfect blocks of the toughest stone, or sheets of the purest crystal.

In the ten years since her return Luna had immersed herself in learning all she could about this strange new world. Tutors and teachers from across the country had been asked to sum up their fields in to painfully small tidbits for the displaced princess to sample. For the first year after her return her she had greedily devoured everything she could.

But playing ‘catch up’ for a year caused its own problems. That first disastrous Nightmare Night in Ponyville highlighted her error. Knowledge didn’t bring understanding. The tutoring was great, as a source of general knowledge but unless it was tempered, molded and shaped by practical experience in social settings it would forever be just words on paper. Twilight Sparkle had said that that lesson was one she had needed as much as anypony.

But here and now sitting around a table for hours signing papers that might have repercussions so small that she may never know of them just made the dark Goddess bored. It was time to lighten the mood. She took mental note. Making fun of her sisters plump rump again would be out of the question. If she did that every time, she reasoned, ponies might think all she can do is insult her size. Captain Fizzlepop had likewise been poked enough, Twilight was right, the captain deserved an apology, later. Captain Sentry was a mixed bag. At times he seemed the butt of every joke being told and at others he just blended into the scenery. Captain Armor had a good nature and could easily laugh at himself. So while it was easy to have a laugh at his expense, it was no challenge. That left...

“So, dear niece, ‘Astronomical Appetite’?” she asked. Cadence looked confused for a moment then membered her correction from earlier.

“Surely Princes Twilight has heard ruder and more descriptive insults about my sister.”

Cadence blushed furiously. With a chuckle she explained, “Sorry, I’ve been like that ever since some guard pony said something inappropriate and now Flurry won’t stop screaming obscenities during dinner.” Her gaze shifted to glare at her husband. But Shining Armor was busy, he was certain that the chandler hand not been inspected in some time. A pity that it fell to him to inform Captain Sentry there was dust covering the wrought iron and crystal contraption.

“The last thing I need is her shouting ‘ass’ at some dignitary or noble while at the dining table.” Luna, her sport forgotten chuckled at the thought and Celestia giggled as well.

“I already had to explain to the Yaks that crystal mares aren’t going to sell them their “milk bags” on the street, even in the mists of a harsh winter.”

Celestia snorted into her drink again, “Please,” she protested. “I’ve only just recovered!”

The younger princesses chuckled. Luna held her tongue just until Celestia once again began to drink.

“Send them here,” she told Cadence in all seriousness. “We know several nobles here who have sold them before.” She waited a beat then looked to Celestia expecting to have her once again choking on cake or sputtering into her drink. Instead she was met with a glare. Celestia had raised her cup to her mouth but not begun to drink.

“Cheater!” they said to each other dissolving into a fit of laughter. The mood at the other side of the table was much more somber.

Captain Fizzlepop Berrytwist had no use for confusion. It always lead to panic. And panic, more often than not, lead to hasty decision making. Those decisions, Fizzle concluded, were usually wrong. Chasing that stupid ball was a perfectly normal reaction for a foal, Fizzle had long ago absolved herself of that action. Even entering the cave, admittedly not the BEST idea, was still something that any child would do. All the stories of good deeds and heroes remembered she blamed for why she stood her ground against the enormous ursa minor, she was proud of her willingness to defend her peers at such a young age. It was what came after that she hated.

Why? Gods she hated that simple word. Why me? Why? Fizzle must had said that word to herself a million times, and there were never good enough answers. These things just happen somepony had said. Such casual indifference from adults was expected but what truly hurt was the reactions from her peers. The pity was aggravating. Pity that quickly turned to indifference. None of them knew how hard it was to relearn to write or lift, or even play. Ha learn to play, that’s rich. They went on with their lives and left poor Fizzle to pick up the remains or her own, alone.

She never thought of herself as maimed or crippled even though she surely would have qualified as such. Hours she had spent alone relearning how to write and read. How to turn pages with her hooves or mouth. How to walk three legged so should could carry a glass or plate. It was frustrating to say the least, infuriating at times. And she had to do it alone. It was no surprise when that hurt turned to anger. Anger at her peers, she refused to call them friends, anger at the ursa, her village. Herself.

And that awful question ‘Why?’ That confusion more than the hurt was what made her leave Equestria. What was a unicorn that had no magic? What was a pony that didn’t have friends? Did she belong among ponies who laughed and sang, and were branded with their identity, when she had none?

Princess Twilight had changed that. She had given Fizzle a place, a purpose. The Storm King had a place for Tempest, the unfeeling weapon. As soon as Fizzle appeared, with desires of her own, the bitter monarch had cast her aside, broken his promise and included her with his enemies. Why? Ugh that question again. Did he see that Tempest was loyal, that Tempest got things done? Why was that desire for an identity of her own worth casting her out?

Now she learns that the Storm King was just being manipulated as well? That he was just some pawn in somepony else’s game? She ground her teeth together. That worthless imbecile, how dare he be as easily led as she was. Her tail whipped back and forth like an agitated cat’s. He was supposed to be a King, greater than his peers, better than the rabble around him. But no, in the end he was just as confused and weak as any of them.

A hoof on her shoulder broke her reprieve. Startled for the first time in a long time her right hoof came up and across, the sharpened outside edge of her shoe cutting through the air in the room like so much parchment. The bladed shoe rang out against the flat of Shining Armors blunted shoe, a shower of sparks fell upon them both.

If he was surprised by the strike, Shining didn’t show it. He simply held the offending hoof against his own and slowly guided it to the floor.

“Easy Captain. Just breathe. It’ll pass.”

Fizzle’s breathing was hard and heavy but the calm tone of Shining’s voice allowed her to focus. He began to breathe in and out loudly offering her a template to follow. As she focused on the sound and matched it with her own breaths the anger began to ebb. It was soon replaced by shame and embarrassment, to lose her control in the presence of these ponies, she’d never live that down.

Angry tears began forming in the corners of her eyes before she blew out a breath and blinked them away.

“The feelings of being used won’t ever leave you.” Shining said as he continued to keep his breathing at an audible level for the hurting unicorn. “And every time somepony brings it up, it’ll start all over again. Panic attacks are real and you don’t have to be ashamed or afraid of them.”

It was the wrong thing to say. “I’m not afraid and I’m not panicking!” Fizzle roared, her anger flared right back up at the perceived insult, her glare snapping back onto her face and her turquoise eyes meeting the light blue of his. She jerked her hoof away from his the bladed edge again scraping and throwing an angry shower of sparks to the floor.

This won’t end well. Shining thought to himself. Angry and agitated the scarred unicorn shifted her weight forward as her hoof met the floor her flanks quivering in preparation for a kick or even a buck. Shining shifted his legs bringing the line of his body perpendicular to Fizzle’s presenting the smallest target possible should she decide to lash out. No novice to combat Flash was up on the table in an instant. His head and forelegs low, wings and rear up, he resembled a cat prepared to pounce, his rump wiggling as his hind legs fought for purchase on the slippery surface of the table.

The three mortals held position and traded glances with one another as the princesses looked on. Like a bead of water growing fat from a leaky tap the tension grew. Fizzle knew that if she adjusted her legs for a kick that Shining would strike. Probably with a magical blast to her presented shoulder. She trusted her armor to absorb the hit but wasn’t sure what the pegasus would do. Flash’s wings were flared backward a flap would send a blast of wind in her direction, not terribly dangerous so he must have some other trick there. She cursed herself for not having any idea of pegasus combat tactics.

The drop grew fatter.

Flash had to ignore a bead of sweat making its way down the side of his face. His wings ached. Choosing this stance for an attack was not a good idea he decided. The throwing darts nestled in his wings weren’t exactly heavy but holding them aloft for such a long period of time compromised his aim. If this went on much longer he’d have to forfeit the throw for fear of hitting the white captain.

The drop began to fall.

Shining Armor once again locked eyes with Twilight’s captain and slowly sank to his haunches. His tail curled around his legs and he slowly raised his hooves. “Easy Captain,” he said again. He patted the air gently with his hooves, “We’re not going to do this, Flash stand down.”

Grateful for the opportunity to stand down without losing face Flash slowly lowered his wings and stood to his full height. He didn’t dare try to dismount the table though, just in case.

“I don’t want a fight here, captains.” Celestia’s voice was calm but had an unmistakable sharpness to it that shook the three captains from their trance. Like a mother reprimanding her children in a crowded store the effect of Celestia’s words were immediate on Shining and Flash. Fizzle on the other hoof didn’t defer so easily to the white goddess.

“Please Fiz,” said Twilight her voice small, “Shiny doesn’t want to fight you, he was trying to help.”

The drop retreated as the tap was turned off.

*Knock Knock* went the door.

*****

Like all ponies Raven Inkwell loved her job. She supposed there might be at least one pony who didn’t love what they did. There was a skip in her step that let anypony around know that it was not her. She loved smooth running government, all the little cogs working tougher for the good of the nation. Working at the highest level, with Princess Celestia herself was such a thrill. The princess was everything she ever hoped she would be. Kind, regal and so caring. The image of the Princess in her mind’s eye was the standard to which Raven held herself.

Having the four princesses together in one place usually meant trouble for the nation of Equestria. So far however the biggest issue had been locating enough ink for the marathon signature session that was supposed to be going on. Any other time throughout the morning when she had supervised the refilling of snack bowls or wine pitchers the small gathering was in good spirits when they weren’t being down right jovial. Raven loved hearing her princess laugh. Not the proper socialite chuckle or the polite fake laughter of court. Honest laughter was something the Goddess of the sun did not get enough of. Raven was hoping to get another image of that for her mental collection.

The seven ponies froze as Raven knocked curtly then opened the double doors, just as she had done nearly every hour today. The three captains had simultaneously snapped to attention with heels clicking and sharp salutes all around. The professionalism of the action was monumentally ineffective as Captain Flash was atop the table, Captain Armor was seated on his haunches, and Captain Berrytwist was in the middle of what appeared to be a buck aimed directly into the face of the former.

The four princesses were in various stages of inaction. Princess Luna stood near her seat at the table her eyes alight with excitement as she had watched the tension build. Princess Cadence had been moving towards her husband in a vain attempt to save his face from the impending hooves. Princess Twilight had her magic wrapped around the hind legs of her captain. Her action effectively nullifying the attack and keeping the captain balanced on her front hoofs. She was impressed that Fizzle could hold that much weight completely still for any amount of time, that impression had turned to distraction, then embarrassment as she realized she had been staring. Princess Celestia let out a great sigh of relief. Thankful that a fight had not broken out during her working vacation ploy.

If word got out that the “Important business” was interrupted by fighting guards, the House of Nobles would insist that they be allowed to sit in and “help” with the work. That would be the end of this tradition that the Princess was secretly trying to start. Most of the Nobles meant well but if Celestia was honest with herself she had had quite enough of their bickering and fighting by midday. Why couldn’t they be more…Noble?

‘Ah Raven dear,” she smiled, “So good of you to join us. We were just stretching our legs.” Strain began to creep into her smile as Raved looked at each pony in turn. The surprise on the administrative unicorn’s face slowly ebbed away to be replaced with...anger?

“The Princess worked very hard to make this meeting happen,” Raven began. Her eyes still looked angry, but an odd smile was creeping to her mouth. “If any of you are jeopardizing the sanctity of this meeting…” She let the threat hang in the air while her gaze lingered on Flash. She levitated a scroll to Shining Armor, nodded to her princess and took her leave, closing the doors behind her.

Twilight released the legs of her captain and turned to the princess. “Raven knows about this meeting? I mean she KNOWS?” she asked.

Celestia chuckled, “She saw that I was holding specific paperwork till the end of the year. There was no way to hide so much from her.” She smiled fondly, “She actually asked me several months ago if I wanted her to draft letters to each of you asking for a summit of sorts, she’s quite quick on the uptake.”

“A bit creepy too.” Fizzle remarked eyeing the yellow captain. “What was the look for?”

The gathered ponies turned to Flash as he hopped once then glided to the floor. He sighed dejectedly, “Just ammunition.”

“Prince Armor?” Celestia asked.

The Crystal Prince broke the seal and began unrolling the parchment. “Captain?” he asked, addressing Fizzlepop. “I apologize, I wasn’t patronizing.”

Fizzle’s gaze softened, a bit. “I’m sorry too...?”

The gathered ponies stopped. For an instant the air seemed to grow heavy. The torches dimmed in their sconces. Authorization for winter was a few days away but until then it was still fall, the evenings should be pleasantly warm. Since Celestia had only recently set the sun, it should still be warm, but an icy chill permeated the room. The moisture on the windows began to crystalize as the temperature plummeted. Celestia saw her breath, ghostly and pale, as a deathly chill worked its way up her tail and along her spine. Twilight hopped up from the suddenly freezing floor, her rump and the frogs of her hooves chilled. Normally not too affected by the cold Flash fluffed his wings bringing a layer of insulating air around himself.

Fizzle twitched nervously. Magic inside of Equestria was supposed to be tamed and controlled, nothing like the magic in Storm King’s domain. The unnatural magical frost seeped up her legs and made her metal shoes uncomfortably cold. Uncertain she looked up for answers. What she saw froze her blood.

In truth she liked Shining Armor. He was quite intelligent for a guard, nowhere near as smart as Twilight but no raw recruit. He was witty and had a deep genuine laugh to compliment it. A loving father and husband she was told, those were good qualities. She was more appreciative in the way he treated Twilight, with respect. Under the Storm King’s rule younger siblings who out shown their family didn’t last long. He was handsome she admitted. Well-muscled and lean, in another life she might have laid claim on him.

The thing she like best about the Prince however was that she had not personally bested him in combat. He wouldn’t know it but catching her punch earlier had truly impressed her. It was a purely reactive move on her part, how had he parried so quickly?

As she looked at him now ,that respect was replaced with an emotion she thought she bested long ago. Shining’s normally kind and brotherly eyes had turned into a visage of icy rage that bore down on the unfortunate parchment. Death was promised in those eyes. Not a swift merciful death, but a cold, painful, lingering ordeal. His easy going smile had been replaced by an animalistic snarl. His lips pulled back to bear his teeth. His breath came in angry bursts and it morphed from there to a throaty growl she didn’t know ponies could make. Fizzle took a single step back her metal shoe clacking loudly on the frozen floor.

The loud noise broke the spell and in an instant the ghostly cold was gone. The warmth of the autumn evening was back. Torches burned bright and high and there was no frost to be found on window glass. Even Fizzle’s shoes were no longer cold. Six ponies looked around in confusion.

“I’m going to head back to our room, Hun.” Shining said. The coltish twinkle in his eye and his easy smile returned. He levitated the scroll to his wife. “There were some problems that came up in the barracks. I need to pack up and take the train first thing in the morning,” he was practically shouting. “You and Flurry should stay on a couple days and catch up.” A quick salute and a nod and he was on his way. He was halfway down the hall before anypony could gather their wits.

“CAPTAIN ARMOR!” Luna shouted. She tried several times to ask a question, finally settling on “What the buck!?”

Shining stopped. Turning to look over his shoulder. Fizzle wasn’t sure but she swore she could see those eyes again.

“Prince,” came the reply cold and icy. “Prince Armor.”

He walked away.

*****

“Cadence dear?” Celestia’s voice was uncertain and shaky. Her horn lit in a golden corona and a blast of heat filled the room, though nopony looked much warmer. The six huddled close in a circle heads together. Celestia’s glowing horn providing comforting heat, the three larger alicorns draping their wings over the smaller ponies and snuggled them close. Grateful for the warmth Twilight looked up at her mentor from under a great white wing teeth chattering.

“T-t-that was so s-s-s-trange., she said, teeth chattering. “That w-was no kind of m-magic I’ve seen b-b-b-before.”

On Twilight’s opposite side Cadance nodded, her wings wrapped around Twilight and Flash. “Shiny has never had an affinity for ice magic before, that wasn’t him.” She held the rolled scroll like it was a snake in her hoof fearful that It may unroll itself and strike at any moment.

“Emotions can be powerful amplifiers to one’s own magics.” The Lunar princess offered bitterly, eyeing the scroll. One wing tucking Flash close to her side, the other draped over Fizzlepop. Celestia longed to give comfort to her sister knowing she was referring to her loneliness and jealousy of over a millennia ago.

“Shining hasn’t been emotional at all!” Cadence snapped. “He could have yelled at Fizzle but he didn’t,” she pointed an accusing hoof in the unicorn’s direction.

Twilight reached out with her magic and held the scroll aloft. A parchment and quill bust forth from her mane and she began to write. “Standard messenger parchment. Two inches by eight inches.” The quill recorded her narration. “Large enough for a few sentences. Color is normal off white. Seal is a broken from when Prince Shining armor opened it. Delivered by one Raven Inkwell.” Despite the situation Celestia smiled, Twilight would never change, the studious former unicorn absorbed information like a sponge and any opportunity to learn something new was pounced upon with as much mental force that Twilight could bring to bear. Fortunately they needed some knowledge in this situation. Celestia couldn’t name very many situations where she was at a loss for explanation.

“No spells, cantrips, or enchantments are present. Message reads as follows:

Spring Cleaning going well. HQ, spotless. Mess hall, possible infestation. Possible Sickness, Asst. cook Berry, Asst. gardener Fences, Pvt. Windsheer, Pvt. Kettle – Imcap. 24 hour bug? Please Advise. –E.Breeze

“This note contains no codes or ciphers that I’m aware of from the Crystal Empire.” Captain Flash stated, realizing the boon of Princes Twilights skills and brains right now. “Ernest Breeze would be acting Captain of the Crystal guard in the Prince’s absence. Crystal Pony, well liked, spotless record.”

Twilight nodded her thanks to Flash, the quill recorded his words.

Celestia nodded her agreement, “Nor are there any keywords or phrases I’ve given the captain.”

“There is one discrepancy and two blatant references to past threats to Equestria.” Twilight commented. As she warmed and fell into the familiar pattern of observing, processing and teaching Twilight began to relax and her words started gaining a momentum of their own. “The term ‘spring cleaning’ makes sense in context but is anachronistic in this case, it’s fall after all. It could be referencing to the Windigo’s as their winter connections are in direct contrast to spring. The other two references are more compelling. The mess hall being ‘infested’ and a 24 hour ‘bug’ lead me to believe that Shining received a warning about changelings.”

Luna stopped Twilight with a raised hoof. “The Queen has not been seen for some time. When she escaped last she had no changelings following her. And, as I recall, she vowed revenge against Starlight Glimmer not Shining Armor or Cadence or the Empire for that matter.”

Twilight pursed her lips in thought, “We didn’t see any changelings follow her from the ruined hive Princess Luna. That doesn’t mean she was or is alone.” she began to pace. “She may have had other agents in the area. Or met up with other cells hidden around the country.” She stopped, she didn’t like where this train of thought was going. Could another invasion be coming in the near future? She didn’t like to admit it to herself, but they had assumed that all changelings had joined Thorax, not just those in the hive. “Cadence?”

Cadence’s eyes were filled with unshed tears and her speech was quiet and unsure. “Shiny and the reformed changelings get along well enough. Windigos haven’t been seen in Equestria for ages. He has never acted like that before, and like I said he’s never shown any inclination to ice magic either.”

Fizzlepop finally spoke. She was currently sandwiched between Celestia and Luna with a look of supreme discomfort on her face, but it wasn’t directed and either princess. Twilight thought the image would be a pleasant memory to frame, except that Fizzle was visibly trembling and hunching down, apparently trying to make herself seem smaller or less threatening.

“I’ve seen such tantrums before. The Storm King was full of them. Childish and hurtful.” She shuddered again. “Rage was in his eyes, he’s past anger right now, past retribution, and he wants something dead, more than dead.” She corrected herself, “He wants it to suffer.”

“My Shiny is good and pure,” the pink alicorn’s voice answered, deathly calm. “You take that back.” The tears in her eyes began to fall as she charged her horn. “He’d never do anything like that.” Celestia’s outstretched wing stopped her from releasing the magic. “He’s nothing like you.” She spat at the unicorn then flew out of room down the hallway. Her wings beating furiously, her sobs audible for some time.

****

The Royal apartments were nestled behind the palace proper. The dozen villas overlooked the royal gardens and were connected by well-maintained pathways to the royal kitchens and the grand ballroom. Thus ensuring that the guests had access to the fine foods and diverse entertainment that Canterlot had to offer. Celestia’s love of fine food and even finer deserts ensured that the kitchens ran almost non-stop with a near constant stream of waiters delivering meals or snacks.

Should any of the visiting diplomats or dignitaries become bored they only had to wander towards the ballrooms. Thanks to the return of Princess Luna a renaissance of sorts had been kindled in the theatrical community. Acting troops from across the country were invited to perform for the benefit of the time displaced princess. Much had happened in the last thousand years and all that could be dramatized was. More than happy to have history presented to her in song and verse Princess Luna made it a point to visit at least twice a week.

Celestia gently knocked on Cadence’s door.

“Come in,” came the subdued reply.

The trio of princesses and two captains slowly filed into the sitting room of one of the larger apartments. Decorated much like a fancy hotel room, the villa’s sitting room had plush couches, cushions to sit on and a low table to gather around.

Cadence allowed the herd to settle where they were comfortable then spoke.

“Captain Berrytwist,” she swallowed, “I’m sorry for how I acted.” Fizzle’s eyes widened in surprise but she said nothing. “It was unbecoming of me to treat you so. I didn’t like what you said but that’s no excuse for my actions.”

Once again unsure of how to react Fizzle nodded and tried to offer a smile. “It’s fine.”

As the other ponies sat or reclined Cadence continued, her voice once again subdued.

“We must have just missed Shiny. I was just in to check on Flurry Heart. She and Sunburst are both asleep. There was a note pinned to his cloak. She offered the still closed envelope to the solar princess, then sat next to Twilight her eyes still raw and red. The smaller alicorn wrapped one wing around her sister-in-law and did her best to offer comfort her by nuzzling her neck, and leaning into her to offer support.

Celestia opened the envelope and unfolded note. Scrawled in the familiar horn writing of her former captain was a concise note. She read, “Taking care of this. Wait here. I expect you to LISTEN to your mother, Flurry. You know I love you, right?”

Cadence began to tear up again. “We’ve always handled things like this together why would he tell me to wait here now?”

“Perhaps Captain Armor fears leaving your foal without parents?” Luna offered.

“No, that doesn’t sound like Shiny,” Twilight mused. “He’s chivalrous and all that but he knows that he’s multiple times stronger with Cadence beside him. And he knows that we’d take care of Flurry if anything should happen to him and you.” She nuzzled Cadence again.

“We could just stop him.” Flash spoke up. “It wouldn’t take much to just stop the trains for the evening. If he just left there are only a few he could take anyway.”

Celestia nodded, “Very well captain, find Shining Armor. If this is indeed some threat, then Equestria could be next and I’ll not jeopardize the country for one stallion.” Flash saluted then left the apartment.

“Twilight will you stay here keep Cadence company?” Twilight nodded and pressed closer into the princess of love.

“Of course, Princess.”

“Luna?”

The night princess shook her head, “Apologies sister but I meet shortly to finalize my decision with the night court. Pip should be waiting for me in the council room. Unless you need more comfort than dear Twilight can give?” Luna posed the question to Cadence.

Cadence wrapped her hooves around Twilight and hugged her tightly afraid that if she let go she might also leave.

“No, just let me get over this and I’ll head down to the train station. I need answers.”

Celestia nodded. “Very well. I’ll head there now.” She offered a comforting smile to Cadence and started for the door. “Walk with me please, Captain.” Twilight was already nodding her consent, confident her captain wouldn’t go without her permission.

As Celestia and Fizzlepop headed for the door. Twilight gently guided Cadence to the couch and set her upon it. Once reclined Cadence felt Twilight gently pull a wing out with her magic. “Let’s get you cleaned up OK?” Cadence was still chilled and tense form the strange ordeal in the signing room. But as her younger sister in law preened and fussed over her she felt herself relax and settle more comfortably into the couch.

*****

The trio exited the royal suite and Luna began walking toward the council chambers. Celestia turned to watch her go hoping that the three of them could speak for a moment. Fizzlepop, on the other hoof had turned back toward the conference room and was unwaveringly moving away from the Princesses. Unaccustomed to not being waited on Celestia found herself trotting to catch up to the long-legged pony. Celestia’s golden shoes making almost no noise even while trotting compared to the captain’s sharpened steel shoes.

“I’m really not interested in talking about Princess Twilight with you,” Fizzlepop said as Celestia moved up beside her and matcher her pace.

“That’s good,” Celestia countered. “I actually wanted to talk about you.” Normally Celestia would take much more grace a subtlety in having a conversation with a pony. Being all but worshiped by everypony made her conversations a delicate balance of hint and suggestion. Fizzlepop clearly did not attribute respect of any kind to any of the princesses, except Twilight.

“You seemed much shaken up after Shining’s outburst.”

“Yes.” The captain stated, not slowing in the slightest.

“Any thoughts on the matter?” The Princess asked, in a tone that would have had the entire palace sweating.

“No.” She stated.

Celestia’s wing unfolded blocking the unicorn’s path. Fizzle stopped, impatient.

“Captain,” Celestia began, emphasizing the title. “You’re actions suggest otherwise.”

“I want to take a look around the conference room. Confirm something.”

Celestia’s eyes narrowed, another pony would be seriously reconsidering their tone and words.

“Twilight vouches for you Captain,” Celestia said, again emphasizing the title. “Though you’d have not only enslaved my country, you’d have killed the four of us.” Finally Fizzle did wince. “It is not only Twilight that offers friendship and forgiveness.” The unicorn captain stared forward and said nothing. “IF you learn anything please let us know, we’ll most likely be at Northern Spur Station, if Captain Armor truly did go north.” She folded her wing and allowed the surely pony to pass.

*****

Fizzlepop didn’t end up going to the conference room. She knew what she saw there and needed no confirmation. She wasn’t sure that Celestia believed her but the Sun Princess had soon left. Fizzlepop continued on for what seemed like enough time then doubled back. She was certain that Shining Armor was going north, but his declaration of taking the train was too loud, too obvious. If it were her, she reasoned that would be the perfect decoy. OK? Decoy for what? She asked herself. It was several hundred miles to even the border of the crystal empire. Not something you travel by hoof. That only left air as a viable option. Did Shining have access to a chariot or airship? Flash had only frozen the train system.

Shutting down the rails would probably stop him from leaving. If she was wrong no pony would blame her for covering all bases. If he’s even still in the city. Fizzle had positioned herself in the gardens near the throne room entrance. If anypony wanted to get to the skyport or aviary from the apartments they’d have to pass her by walking right through the gardens. For ten minutes she felt extremely foolish as nopony passed. A door opened behind her, her ears swiveled of their own accord and Fizzle heard the distinct sounds of a three steel shod hooves echoing on the marble floors.

Raven Inkwell exited the hallway connecting the throne room to the gardens. An enormous stack of papers and parchment held under one foreleg. The unicorn visibly started upon noticing the captain but continued on past her offering no other acknowledgement.

She had just started past the captain when Fizzle struck. A powerful kick of her hind legs had her hind quarters airborne, a twist of her forelegs and her right rear hoof came down blade bared on the unfortunate unicorn’s neck.

With a cry Raven allowed her left hooves to slide under herself. She fell to her side and rolled passed the deadly blade. A sizable chunk of marble chipped away as the unyielding steel connected with it. Dropping her papers and continuing her roll put Raven directly under Fizzle’s barrel, caught with all her weight on one rear leg Fizzle could only watch in horror as Raven’s horn lit with a familiar pink aura. Her eyes only grew wider as the aura spread down Raven’s horn and chest and back up her forelegs headed for her horseshoes as the white unicorn punched up with both hooves. Deciding that she had a better chance with broken ribs instead of punctured lungs Fizzle allowed her leg to buckle.

Her chest touched the outstretched hooves a split second before whatever magic Raven was channeling could reach them. She grunted with the impact, even wearing her barding Fizzle knew that she had at least one broken rib.

The sacrifice brought her full weight, so to speak, against the diminutive secretary. Or it should have. Whatever magic had been headed for Raven’s forehooves ended up encasing her rear hooves instead. Ignoring the awkward position she was in and the fact there was no way she had enough friction to do so Raven, flat on her back, planted her hooves and kicked, sliding out from under the larger guard captain before she was bodily crushed.

She was up on her hooves in a second parrying a right cross from Fizzlepop who had accepted the fall to the floor and bounded right back to her own hooves. Sparks flew as the bladed edge of the shoe glanced off Raven’s blunted one.

She wasn’t wearing steel earlier. The dark unicorn shifted her weight to her left and kicked off the floor a second time, allowing the momentum of her strike carry her hind quarters around, her left rear hoof arching around in a slash so fast the leading bladed edge began to whistle in the cool night air. Fizzle knew it was a gamble as the smaller unicorn was deceptively fast and chances were she’d again duck under the attack and try to get in close for a body shot.

Raven instead used the parry to force herself away from the larger unicorn breaking contact and allowing the round house kick to pass harmlessly between them. Raven’s sides heaved and her breathing was much too heavy for the small exchange that had taken place. Empowering her hooves must take a lot out of her. Fizzle stepped forward her turquoise eyes alight with excitement.

“I hope you’re not getting too tired,” she taunted. “This is the most fun I’ve had since I came here.”

Raven’s horn lit up again in that familiar shade of pink, she sunk a bit lower in her stance, but held her ground.

Understanding last ditch efforts Fizzlepop decided enough was enough. Once again her right hoof lashed out. It almost connected this time, the parry coming much later then the first. Fizzle’s left hoof came up this time the sharpened edge useless in the uppercut aimed at her opponents chin. Raven dodged to the right just as Fizzle expected her to do. The uppercut merely a feint to bring the unlikely combatant’s head into line. Her follow up strike, a flash kick from her rear left hoof would have taken the head from Raven’s shoulders. However as Fizzle arched her back and began to start the rotation she hesitated.

Gone were the heavy breaths, and heaving sides from the pencil pusher, a triumphant smirk splayed across her muzzle, and a twinkle in those familiar blue eyes. Unable to improvise Fizzle had no choice but to follow through with her attack, but as her fore hooves touched the marble floor, her body arched in a perfect upside-down “U”, she knew she was beaten. Her rear hooves refused to leave the floor stuck in place by the same magic Raven had used earlier to escape Fizzle’s falling body. She watched helplessly as the pink aura encased her fore hooves as well, gluing the overconfident captain to the floor. She baited me. Pretending to be tired, that the magic was draining her too fast, she even feinted into her feint with the uppercut.

Beaten in combat for the first time in ages Fizzle was strangely at peace as the white unicorn stepped into her field of vision. Raven had retrieved her papers and documents and was again carrying them under one leg. Fizzle hadn’t anticipated being killed in such a manner, never in her wildest dreams. But she was a witness and she knew it.

“Thank you,” she said. Surprising Raven and herself with how calm she sounded and felt. “I meant what I said, that was fun.”

Raven studied the captain but said nothing.

“Is Twilight your target?” Fizzle asked, her voice full of worry. If this one came for her, Twilight’s only chance would be to strike first from a distance. Something she would never do.

Raven said nothing, watching.

Fizzle swallowed a lump in her throat, her eyes grew moist. “Please,” she begged. “Twilight is good, she doesn’t deserve to die. Please just talk to her before you…just talk with her, you’ll see.”

Raven had apparently made up her mind, her horn lit and her hoof was shrouded again in pink magic. Captain Fizzlepop Berrytwist’s eyes locked onto it as it slowly rose, hung for a second, and then quickly descended. Her chin exploded into pain and her vision turned white. Then, slowly the pain faded and the white became darkness.

Author's Note:

I think there's been enough build up.