• Published 13th Nov 2018
  • 1,351 Views, 22 Comments

Captains, Queens, and Princesses - protopony



A request to help finish some overdo paper work in Canterlot leads Twilight to ask where life is taking her and the ponies she cares about.

  • ...
1
 22
 1,351

Chapter 1 : Sunrise

Cupcake awoke to a smell that hadn’t been known in her shop for more than twenty years. A smell that should have been common in a bakery, for no chef was perfect and even the best had off days. In fact producing that particular smell was something of a right of passage among pastry chefs and confectioners. It was common enough in kitchens around the world, every absent minded father, well meaning foal and overworked mare burned meals on occasion, it was no great crime.

Yet within the sacred walls of Cupcake Corner, within the hallowed kitchen that Pinkie Pie had herself consecrated with the finest of flour and the purest of cooking oils, the unfamiliar scent of burning cake filled the mare with confused worry.

Pinkie was perhaps the most absent minded pony she knew, yet within that absent mindedness a sort of cooking zen was frequently achieved. She could zone out for hours and still have enough cupcakes, pastries, and bread prepared to precisely and exactly serve every patron that frequented the shop. Talking the ear off of every customer as she went or humming to herself wordless tunes that had fillies and colts alike humming along with the party pony.

Cupcake rose from her bed and quietly donned her robe. She passed the nursery, now Poundcake’s room and then Pinkie’s which had remained quite the same save that her daughter, Pumpkin Cake, now occupied it.

Pinkie had consistently been staying later and later at Princess Twilight's new school. Many of her personal belongings had found their way to her office on campus. Used for some lesson or visual aid. Many nights were spent asleep on the couch there or wedged uncomfortably in her chair grading tests that were more suited to party games than higher education.

Cupcake had a few bitter sweet memories of trotting to the school, past that gaudy castle and firmly waking the pink party planner and making sure she had, at least, a homemade breakfast before she began her day.

Cup winced as she tried and failed to descend the stairs quietly. You’d think after nearly twenty years of living in the same house she would remember that the fourth stair from the bottom always creaked.

She needn't have worried. As she entered the kitchen it was clear the errant sound would not have disturbed Pinkie. For Pinkie Pie wasn’t in her kitchen.

But a very similar looking pony was.

“Pinkamena?” she asked. Startling herself with her rising volume. Fear, worry and confusion all rolled into the unfamiliar name. She had seen this side of Pinkie only twice before. Both were harrowing experiences and she didn’t look forward to this one.

She cleared her throat “Pinkamena.” She said calmly remembering the instructions given To her by Cloudy Quartz, Pinkie's mother, those many years ago.

“Pinkamena is a somber filly,” the grey mare had told her. “Her feelings kept hidden because she believes it is what I and her father want.” She gently stroked the filly’s hair. Cupcake could not believe that just minutes before the quiet straight haired little filly sitting at the picnic table had been the same high energy party pony with curls not unlike cotton candy, who had been playfully bounding from pony to pony wishing all who could hear a ‘very happy I’ve thrown my very first party in your town’ party.

It was apparent that it was not in this mare’s nature to be overcome with emotion yet her eyes began to shimmer with wetness. And her monotone voice became choked. “Oh Pinkamena! What am I to do with you?”

“It’s fine mother,” the filly had lied. “I’ve gotten it all out. I need no more partying.”

The grey mare grew stern. “We do not lie in this family Pinkamena. Even to spare feelings.”

“Yes mother.” Came the emotionless reply.

Cupcake’s heart had been moved that day. The day she met Pinkamena. The day Pinkie Pie came into her life.

She called Pinkie again, and this time the muted pink ear flicked in her direction. “Oh. Morning Cupcake.” Her greeting complete she turned to look out the kitchen window. “Did the screams wake you too?”

Cupcake blanched, “There was no screaming dear. We’re you screaming?”

Pinkiamina shook her head. “Not me. A friend of Pinkie’s, I think..”

A bit of relief filled Cupcake. Pinkie was dear to her in many ways and she hated the thought of her in pain or anguish.

“Is her friend going to be ok?” She asked. Pinkie’s strange gift for clairvoyance was all too familiar to her.

Pinkiamina turned slowly, her face devoid of any emotion. “I don’t know. It just stopped and that’s normally bad. But this time…”. Her gaze returned to the window. “I think it’s worse.”

Mrs. Cake didn’t know what to say to that. Even though she trusted Pinkie’s odd senses she rarely if ever understood anything about it. She glanced around the kitchen, the oven was slowly leaking dark smoke so what Pinkamena had burned hadn’t been in there long. Yet every surface was occupied by filled Sugar Cube Corner boxes, she had been cooking for hours.

“You’ve made so much food Pinkamina, are you throwing a party?”

The somber pony shook her head. “Pinkie's friends are meeting at the Castle this morning. Fluttershy asked her to bring a light breakfast for every pony.”

Cupcake tilted her head. “That’s odd, isn’t it?” she asked. Following the advice she had been given many years ago. “Fluttershy doesn’t usually call for meetings does she?” Keep her talking. Let her lead the conversation.

Pinkamina shook her head again this time a noticeable bounce was returning to her hair. “Yes I suppose it is. Flutters only calls for a meeting if something is REALLY bothering her.” She snorted. “The last time was the bats in Applejack’s orchard.” The shades in her coat got noticeably lighter.

“I don’t think you’ve told me about that.” Mrs. Cake said as she began to organize the boxes on the table. She offered one to Pinkamina and, distracted, she took it in her teeth and placed it with its fellows at the far end of the table.

Meanwhile Cupcake donned her oven mitts and carefully removed the ruined cake from the oven placing it in the sink before turning the appliance off.

Pinkamena began stacking the boxes and quietly relating the story of the vampire fruit bats that had besieged Applejack’s farm years ago. Cupcake listened quietly and kept the pink pony busy handing her the remaining boxes and guiding her to the delivery cart. Pinkamena grew more and more animated as Pinkie took over the story more and more. Any story involving her friends cheering her up and pushing away unwanted thoughts or feelings. Mrs. Cake wasn’t sure if the practice was healthy. Yet according to Cloudy Quartz, Pinkie's strange gift needed to be redirected on occasion.

The two mares loaded the cart as Pinkie began to tell more and more of the story. By the time they had finished she was just nearing the end of the tale.

“And that’s why Shy-Shy isn’t allowed to have cider anymore!” She smiled widely. “Are you sure I’ve never told you that before Mrs Cake?”

“Fairly sure Pinkie.” Cupcake smiled back.

Pinkie's eyes grew tired, “We don’t lie, not even to spare feelings Cupcake.”

Mrs. Cake spun about looking at Pinkie but expecting Cloudy Quartz to be standing in her yard.

Pinkie looked questioningly at her. “Something wrong Mrs. Cake?” She asked as she hitched herself to the cart.

She took a deep breath. “You were sad Pinkie. Sad enough to become...her...you know.” Her voice trailed off.

Pinkie studied her. A very un-Pinkie thing to do. “Did I tell you why?” She asked seriously.

Against her better judgment Cupcake replied, “Yes, you said it was a friend, and it was worse than bad.”

Pinkie nodded somberly then swallowed. “Then I have to make sure I make it all better!”

“If anypony can Pinkie, it’s you.”

Pinkie smiled, or tried to. “I sure hope so Mrs. Cake.” She started down the road toward Twilight's Castle.

*********

The stallion winced as the feedback from his horn overwhelmed his senses. “My spell is useless now,” he protested. “I don’t have the strength to repel them.”

No.

Strong, gentle loving Hooves embraced him. “My love will give you strength!” Said the mare, beautiful and perfect.

No, not again!

Derisive chuckling interrupted them. “What a perfectly lovely but foolish sentiment.”

Wake up!

The mare was close. So close he could smell her. He charged his horn reaching deep within himself for the strength, for the power to save his bride. To save his sister and her friends. To save his Princess and his city.

Luna! Damn you where are you?

The strength wasn’t there. His well had run dry his energy sapped by that disgusting parasite. Then he could feel it. Small at first but then growing as The mare poured her strength into him. Her love overwhelming, doubling every instant

Why are you never here? Why won’t you help me?

Power coursed through him. Then back into the mare. Then back again ten, a hundred times stronger than before. It was intoxicating. It felt good. It felt right.

No. Get out! Please!

Magic power surged around the lovers. Their eyes met, then filled with radiant power. Then he cast. He cast the spell of his namesake. The spell that defined him.

Not again!

Shining Armor awoke as he always did. Relieved. He couldn’t remember when the dream had started. But he also couldn’t ever remember NOT having the dream. Which was crazy. Still any morning he woke before the end of it was a good morning.

His ears twitched. Birdsong? Here in this part in Canterlot? In the heart of the palace? No something was wrong here.

Had he fallen asleep in the gardens? The pine needle mattress he was sleeping on seemed to confirm the guess. But the distinct lack of some royal gardener poking him in the ribs with a rake dispelled that notion.

He opened his eyes, slowly. He was in a small grove of trees. Clean and healthy. Not the Everfree then. Whitetail perhaps? Certainly not cold enough to be back in his own lands.

He turned his head and found his first real clue. The remains of a royal tactical glider. One of the main support struts cracked right in half. Further investigation yielded the culprit. A small perfectly round boulder.

Diamond dogs. In the heartlands? He continued to turn his head and sure enough Canterlot and the Canterhorn were there in the distance. So he’d finished dinner, taken a glider, and been attacked while headed...somewhere?

He stood and inspected himself for injuries. No bones broken, no burns, magical or otherwise. His guard and special training took over his mind calculating the time it would have taken to get this far and the likelihood of the boulder thrower being nearby.

He absently rolled each hoof along its opposing leg and stopped as he felt the distinct impression of two notches in the edge of his shoes. He’d fought somepony. Somepony strong. The notches were deep.

Shining rarely wore blades. He preferred weighted shoes to edged ones since they interfere less with his trusted spear. He wasn’t the most subtle or graceful of fighters. Preferring to let his size and strength speak for itself. He winced at the thought.

He was a unicorn! From a noble proud family. He should be relying on his magic or at least incorporating it to his fighting style.

On a whim he checked his reserves. Looking deep within himself. Searching for that vast well of power inside. He wasn’t sure but it felt low. Not quite full. As if he had used more Magic then he could recover in one night.

Either he had used much more than normal. Or the night's sleep was less restful than he thought. He hadn’t really taxed himself since the Changeling attack during his wedding. Even his brief fight with Sombra hadn’t drained much of his magic before it had been locked away.

He rooted through the remains of the glider just to be through. His eyes grew wide when he found the brazier.

He may not have been Celestia's captain. But he did command a sizable auxiliary force, and reports still came across his desk. Having the brazier out in the open was incredibly dangerous. It was one of the few things that could topple Equestria as a world power. Magic may not be unique to ponies But it was certainly vital to them.

Why did he have it? Why couldn’t he remember? He’s pulse quickened. It became hard to breathe. The familiar sensation of missing time triggered something inside him. Something he knew he had never really overcome. The panic hit hard like a sucker punch to the temple. Shining Armor collapsed to the ground. His body curling into a fetal position, his ears folded and his tail wrapped protectively around himself.

Her voice cut through his thoughts. Laughing at him. Taunting him. Making fun of his failure to recognize, to act, to protect.

“Pony machine crash here!”

Diamond dogs! The timing couldn’t have been worse. He tried to focus, to stand. He had to secure the brazier. He had little doubt what would happen should it fall into their paws.

Yet his body wouldn’t respond to his commands. His teeth chattered as an involuntary bout of chills raced along his back. His hooves felt numb and he couldn’t seem to unclench his jaw.

The ring of drawn steel sounded in his ears. Horseapples. He set himself to regulate his breathing. Forcing his body to breathe deeply. His lungs burned and he felt light headed. His body demanded he fuel the adrenalin rush with oxygen.

Several of the creatures entered the grove. Their mangy knuckles dragging along the forest floor.

“Stay pony!” Came the harsh command. “You give gems we go. You no give..”. The gorilla-like dog let the threat hang in the air.

Shining didn’t believe a word of it. There were plenty of stories of raids on Diamond Dog dens. Horror stories for the ponies being held captive and forced to pull the primitive carts filled with glittering gemstones.

Still unable to fight back effectively. Shining Armor nodded. He lit his horn and pulled his captain's insignia from under his armor. “Only have this.” He was able to say between breaths.

He floated it to the nearest dog. Who plucked at it greedily from the air. His eyes widened and not just because of the large diamond set in the center of it.

“Wait!”

The other dogs and one pony all stopped.

“You guard pony?” His eyes narrowed. This dog was different. He was built lower to the ground than his Comrades. He was covered in reddish brown fur. Which was bare in several spots along his arms and legs. His face was narrow and sharp. Shining thought he was built more like a fox than a dog.

He nodded slowly. “I am.”

The Diamond Dog considered this. “Help pony up then take to town.” He glanced down at the insignia once more before prying the diamond from the center then tossing it directly in the center of the clearing.

“Sludge can’t help,” the Diamond Dog protested. This one was much more familiar to Shining. Near twice as tall as himself. Covered in dirty grey fur. It looked distinctly like a gorilla and bulldog had spent a night of passion together and the resulting offspring had been worked over by a Minotaur.

And this was one of the more healthy specimens he had seen.

The leader looked blankly at the dog. “Why?” He asked calmly. His paw reaching up to pinch the bridge of his muzzle.

“Sludge not have helping stick.” He pointed to another dog across the clearing.

Shining swallowed. The ‘helping stick’ was a club that was nearly as tall as the dog wielding it, it was also much too thick to be referred to as a stick. More like a log. The rust colored stains on it were quite alarming as well.

The smaller dog sighed. “No. Help for real.”

Sludge cocked his head to the side clearly not understanding. “But Mange say to help.”

Mange rolled his eyes and squeezed harder on his muzzle. “This time help for real!” He said again.

If the dog cocked his head any further it would be upside down.

“Sludge still not sure…but Sludge do. Come pony!”

The dog casually grabbed him around the middle. Hoisting him onto his shoulder like a pony sized sack of potatoes. It felt ridiculous to be carried in such a way but he had little choice. The muscles in his legs refused to relax and his breathing wasn’t stable enough for a fight.

The Diamond Dog under him tensed “Mange! This pony hurt inside.”

Shining blinked.

The foxlike leader padded over to the pair. He looked up at the white stallion. “You broken inside pony? You shaking.”

Concern? From a Diamond Dog? Something strange was going on here. He needed to know what. He shook his head when a grunt from Mange reminded him he had been asked a question. “Yes, I’m afraid of heights.” He responded.

It was Mange’s turn to blink. “You fly from pony city?”

Shining nodded.

“You no like being up?”

Shining nodded again.

“...”

“You stupid pony.”

Shining chuckled.

Menges ears flicked. “Get pony machine. Get stove.” He indicated the brazier. “Get back to town before more guard ponies come looking.”

Sludge turned and began to walk east toward the rising sun. He shifted his shoulders adjusting the weight of the pony.

Shining heard faint chanting and he felt the twinges of mana being pulled from the air. He couldn’t turn to look but he heard the sound of shattering crystal followed by the outraged protest of a few Diamond Dogs.

He was certain that somehow Mange had shattered the diamond.

Something strange was going on. He should find out more. As long as he kept the brazier in sight he was certain he could retrieve it. Once the panic wore off completely these dogs would face a very fresh, very uninjured royal guard in their midst. It was hard not to smile.

******

The Dawn Council sounded much more important than it really was.

“Good morning everypony.” Celestia said.

Firstly it wasn’t much of a council. Sure the ponies in attendance spoke with Celestia. Few would argue that he actually gave council. Celestia never outright ignored any council member. But what exactly does one say to the one who literally brings the sun every morning?

“Hello Fancypants, Fleur. My goodness you look radiant this morning.”

That, Blueblood decided, was the second problem. It was more like post-dawn. Celestia would go to her balcony overlooking the country. Raise the sun, in splendid fashion. Admire her work. Then launch off of her tower to glide directly to the council chamber’s terrace entrance.

“Should we have a nurse sit in today?”

How could anypony give council to a god after such a display?

“Very well but the slightest discomfort please say something?”

So Blueblood never did give advice. He had plenty but knowing Celestia as he did she wouldn’t approve of it. Besides his mother, Platinum Setting, had plenty of advice to give for the both of them.

“I suppose we’d better get started?”

How he wished his mother would just accept the fact that she’d advanced the line as much as she could. The minute bit of prestige was nothing compared to the influence and wealth they could lose.

Yet here she was constantly trying to present herself and him as just slightly ‘more’ than their peers.

“Let’s all take our…”

He sighed deeply. Perhaps too deeply.

“Something you care to add, Prince Blueblood?”
Celestia had interrupted herself to ask the question.

“Yes Aunty” he smiled. “This is all frightfully boring can’t we just call it a day?”

Derisive chuckling could be heard from every seat save two. The scowl on his mother’s face was priceless. He could even see little wisps of smoke coming off her horn. He’d pay later but it was worth it.

What his mother failed to realize was that his antics were not without reason. She continued to miss the point but Blueblood saw his role clearly and had no problem taking the heat. He happily said the things he knew Celestia couldn’t say. If his mother stopped to think for a second she’d see how perfect it was.

Yet she never would. She had played politics for too long. She was good at it to be fair but she was so set in her ways she couldn’t see how futile it all was.

He saw so much in fact that he was certain nothing Celestia could ever do would surprise him.

“That is a marvelous idea Blueblood.” Princess Celestia said in a weary voice.

Blueblood was surprised.

“Nothing would bring me more pleasure than simply not bothering today.”

Several jaws fell open.

“Princess Luna and I have discussed a large change we wish to implement. And I do mean large.”

Celestia walked over to her chair. It was twice the size the other council seats. She stared down at it, her face a mask of concentration.

Blueblood felt an elbow nudge his ribs. “Bound to work one of these days wasn’t it?” Fancypants trottingham accented voice whispered in his ear.

Blueblood shared a chuckle with the popular noble.

“It is large enough news that I want to get three important things out of the way first. Then I will tell you, afterwards I do not wish to discuss it at present.” Celestia met the eyes of each pony. They lingered on Platinum. A silent plea and warning crossed her eyes. One that would certainly be ignored.

“Two items pertain to the weather department.”

A bright yellow Pegasus far past his prime perked up. He opened his ledger and waited.

“First, I want to thank you all for your patience. I know some of you were greatly concerned that I needed to call in My fellow Princesses for yesterday’s meeting . I assure you they helped me more than you can possibly know.” She paced to the other side of the chair.

“Secondly I’d like the rainy season to start a week early this year please.” Celestia was calm as she spoke but the fact that she hadn’t sat down in her seat kept every pony on the edge of theirs. Her tone was also noticeably sharper than normal. Had she not slept well?

“I want to double the amount of rain we send to Minos this year. Take a little from every country that can spare it.”

Blueblood waited for the arguing to start, surely somepony would object to additional rain for a non-allied nation. Yet nothing but silence followed. Blueblood scratched his chin. Very odd, this new abrasive attitude from the Princess seemed to have cowed the entire room.

Granted for nobles it was hardly worth mentioning but coming from Celestia was strange enough to keep anypony from questioning her. Very odd indeed.

“Additionally, “ she continued, her voice gaining even more of an edge. Did she know? “I want plans drawn up to begin training a quake team.” The weather director gasped slightly but said nothing. “The pressure continues to build under Zebrica. And I fear if we do not help, the resulting earthquake could devastate the region permanently.”

She began to pace back and forth behind her seat. Clearly agitated. “I’ll work closely with the diplomats. I also want all of you to do what you can with your friends and business contacts. Hundreds of thousands of lives could be lost if we are not prepared to help.”

The nobles glanced back and forth between themselves.

The yellow Pegasus began to raise his hoof.

Celestia preempted him. “Four hundred. That’s how big I want the team Director Coldfront.” Celestia's eyes were not hard but her stare was quite intense.

The yellow Pegasus wiped his sweating brow with a cloth napkin. His voice trembled “of course Princess we’ll begin speculating today.”

Blueblood leaned back on his chair doing his best to give an air of ignorance. He had a certain reputation to uphold but this knowledge concerned him.

His aunt had never shown this lack of personal control. She was consummately composed twenty-four hours a day. What in the world was going on?

Celestia's horn lit in brilliant gold. She nodded to Coldfront and her chair slid back from the table. She finally sat. The other ponies in the room did not relax.

Several in attendance jumped as Celestia blew out a frustrated sigh.

“Princess Luna has abdicated her throne.” Celestia seemed to sink into the chair. “Effective immediately.” She met the eye of each pony present. For the first time Blueblood could remember she looked tired. “Please begin redirecting, reassigning and reworking anything associated with the Lunar Court.”

Several gasps were heard around the table. Blueblood looked at his mother.

Platinum Setting was a vain pony. Probably the worst he had ever met. He had inherited his blond locks from her and while his still held the strength of his youth, hers had begun to fade. Rather than dye her hair as most older generation nobles did she had completely shaved it away.

Her wig was just like her: completely fake and all for show. Which was common knowledge. Which was why she stunned the entire room, guards and all, with the most sincere statement she had ever uttered. “We caused this.” She said barely loud enough to be heard.

Celestia looked up to the noble her eyes questioning.

Platinum swallowed hard. “At first we thought she was as politically savvy as you.” She hung her head. “I know that I was not very patient with her.”

Several others nodded.

“When we learned she wasn’t,” Continued Money Clip, “We tried to take advantage.”

Blueblood couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Apparently Celestia couldn’t either.

“I did not expect you to welcome her with open arms.” The tiredness in her voice had turned to impatience. “But she is my sister, my own flesh and blood.” Again she looked at each pony. “I am hurt deeply by these actions.”

The nobles had the decency to bow their heads in shame.

“I am adjourning this meeting. I can’t even look at you all.” Celestia, true to her word, for the first time that Blueblood could remember turned her nose up to the nobility, walked to the balcony and flew back up to her tower.

The council members sat for some time around the table. Fancypants sat with his hooves steepled staring at where the princess had excused herself. He leaned over. “Prince Blueblood?”

Blueblood nodded indicating he was listening.

“I’m going to get Fleur home. Can we speak before day court starts? I don’t think we should leave things the way they are.”

He got up and carefully helped a very pregnant Fleur de Lis from her chair.

Blueblood nodded. “Why bother? She’ll be back to herself in no time. Probably just some spat over desserts.”

Fancypants scowled back at him. “Very well. Good morning.”

Blueblood was smiling as Fancy walked away. It wasn’t that he didn’t agree with the noble. Certain appearances had to be upheld that’s all.

He wandered through the throng of nobles and administrators to where his mother stood along with Money Clip and Coldfront.

The small group turned and ended their conversation as he walked up. Yet when she saw it was her son she relaxed considerably.

“I suppose I owe you thanks for ending that before she could really get going?” She droned.

Blueblood waved a hoof nonchalantly. “I didn’t want to be chewed out anymore than you, mother.”

The matriarch sighed and her hoof came up to her forehead.

“I can’t believe this.”

Coldfront glanced side to side. “What are you talking about? We wanted Celestia off balance.”
He smirked. “That seemed right on the ball to me.”

Money Clip winced. “It’s too fast.” He whispered. “She’s not just frustrated. She’s angry.”

Platinum nodded. “ And angry ponies lash out. Even Princesses.”

Blueblood frowned. “Celestia doesn’t lash mother. She strikes.”

“I’d rather not find out for sure.” She turned.

“Make sure the petitions we sponsored can’t be traced back to us.”

Money clip nodded. “Shouldn't be a problem. Just remember my part in this.” The banker stood and made his way to the exit.

Money Clip made Blueblood nervous. He was young for a banker. Which meant he was either very gifted at what he did. Or very naive about the risk versus the reward associated with his position. His rust red coat stood out in the throng of old blood nobles who tried their best to emulate Princess Celestia in all things. Particularly coat color.

Still he was useful, not in money or capital, but in up and coming contacts. Ponies willing to do a little paperwork in return for a favor later down the road.

“You realize that you are going to get caught don’t you?” Blueblood inspected his hoof.

Platinum's eyes dropped. “I’d almost welcome it.” She said dryly. “I hate that I’m doing this all for you.”

Blueblood shrugged. “Then stop. We’ll never rise above Celestia or the alicorns”. Platinum winced. “The best you can do,” he continued, “is stay just behind her.”

“The best I can do?” The aged matriarch asked. “Implying you can do better. I should be so lucky to die before I see that.”

The blonde prince smiled. “Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.”

******

“I still think it was too much.” Celestia said as the trio of princesses made their way to the throne room.

“They deserve far worse.” Luna groused. “Openly admitting to trying to deceive me.” She puffed her cheeks in annoyance. “Not that they would have.”

“I don’t want them in open rebellion Luna.”

“Quiet rebellion then?” She replied.

Celestia had to give her that. “I just feel so petulant. I’ve never stormed out of the council room before.”

“You need to show them that you have feelings Celestia, that they CAN hurt you.” Cadence walked along Celestia's other side close enough to nudge her occasionally for support.

Luna raised an eyebrow. “You two seem awfully cozy.”

Celestia smiled and draped her wing around Cadence’s barrel. “We finally said some words that badly needed to be said.” Her other wing reached out around Luna. She pulled them both close to herself.

“No tears today. I have my sister who can actually spend some free time with me.”

Luna gagged trying to pull away.

“I have two beautiful daughters. One to nurture and love.”

Cadence scoffed. “I’m not twelve ...mom.” She smiled.

“The other living her best life out in the multiverse.”

“A granddaughter to dote on in your golden years.” Cadence offered.

Luna laughed aloud. “Golden years indeed.” She then pursed her lips in contemplation. “You also have a brilliant handsome nephew. For as long as we are expanding the family tree then I claim young Pipsqueak as my son.”

Celestia smiled and nuzzled Luna's cheek with her own. “That’s wonderful Luna, he is such a sweetheart. You shall be a wonderful mother.”

They were soon upon the double doors that would open into the princesses foyer. A small sitting room where the presiding Princess could relax and take a recess from the rigors of open court.

Luna nodded back smiling. “Indeed. The best.”

“Wait just a second. Neither of you carried yours.” Cadence said haughtily. She brought her hoof to her forehead in dramatic fashion. “Nor did you take part in the miracle of foaling. Arguably the best part of having a foal. The best mother is clearly I.”

“I love Pip dearly.” Luna began. “But the best thing about foals is making them!” She smiled broadly.”

“You didn’t do THAT either.” Cadence pointed out.

Luna's smile dropped immediately. Celestia too replaced her smile with a neutral look.”

Cadence giggled like a school filly not noticing the silence. The sisters glanced at each other noticing the discomfort and the shame on each other's faces.

“After court we should talk.” She whispered to Luna. The night princess nodded.

Cadence noticed that the larger alicorns were no longer following alongside her. She turned to admire the results of her banter. Her mother and aunt were silently staring at each other but with odd looks on their faces. She was about to offer an apology, perhaps that had been a bit mean.

The three alicorns stood exchanging glances uneasily with one another.

“Sorry.” Cadence said sheepishly. “I didn’t think it was a tender subject.”

“It’s fine dear.” Celestia answered. “Were not worried about that. But I think we would like to speak with you after Day Court adjourns.”

Cadence cringed. “This sounds bad.”

Celestia smiled softly while Luna simply nodded. “Not bad. Perhaps just overdue.”

Cadence flicked her ears in annoyance.

The Princesses left the sanctuary of the antechamber and entered the Canterlot throne room. Celestia's golden throne sat flanked by Luna's smaller silver throne and a very fancy high backed chair topped with a reasonable imitation of the crystal heart for Cadence.

The petitioner's floor was paved in smooth grey marble with the celestial insignia of the moon in silver circumscribed by the sun in gold. After Twilight’s ascension, six platinum stars were added, surrounding it.

Bullhorn, the herald, cracked his staff three times on the marble floor. The pounding drowned out the din of noise caused by the nobles in the wings and the few petitioners able to see inside from the waiting hall.

“Our beloved Princess of Canterlot, Celestia. Sol invictus. Avatar of light and bringer of the dawn welcomes all to this the one hundred and four thousand nine hundred and seventy-fifth Court of the sun.”

Celestia sat tall on her throne. Day court was one of her favorite times of the week. No sniveling nobles grubbing for favor or clout. Just everyday ponies finally getting a chance to air their grievances or ask for a royal favor.

Ponies who genuinely needed her help and her guidance. How she missed this. How she hated dealing with the nobles day after day. How she envied Luna.

A wave of murmurs sounded from the anti chamber. Followed by the sound of complaining.

Bullhorn with his vantage point made a quick decision. His staff once again struck the floor. Quieting the crowd. “The petitioners will please step back and allow the guards to pass.”

The trio of alicorns glanced at each other.

The heavy double doors opened and captain Flash and one of the guards from last evening were leading a trio of ponies up the carpeted hall.

The double doors closed and the muted murmuring form the petitioners began again.

This was soon joined by murming from the nobles in the wings. It got much louder as ponies began to recognize the escorted ponies.

Flash walked directly to the petitioners floor. The raised dais with the three thrones overlooked the semi circular area where petitioners could be heard by the princess or pony currently in charge.

He held a thick iron chain securely wrapped around one hoof. The jeers coming from the nobles were directed at his captive.

The prisoner was tall. Tall enough to be seen by all the commoners who had waited in the hall. Certainly tall enough to be seen by the many nobles that sat and participated in court.

Many cries of “murderer” and “invader” accompanied her as she walked behind Flash. It was with an awkward limp that Chrysalis, Queen of the Changelings followed the guard captain and the burly earth pony. Her dark hooves made strange noises on the marble tiles. Not the usual clip-clop of hooves but a strange muted ticking. She wore her normal haughty expression, not even bothering to grace the gathered nobles with her gaze.

She ignored the jeers and continued walking forward, her eyes only losing focus when she saw Cadence sitting on Celestia’s left.

Two ponies brought up the rear and went mostly unnoticed. Raven Inkwell walked stiffly behind Chrysalis. She kept her head lowered, not making eye contact with anypony.

If the rest of the congregation had been paying attention to anypony but the changeling queen they may have thought it strange that Coldfront, the weather director, was also walking behind her. His eyes darted this way and that taking in every face, every movement. Until the group reached the petitioners area and his eyes settled on the Queen.

Flash led her to stand in the center of the Celestial insignia.

“Queen Chrysalis,” Celestia began calmly, “This is quite unexpected.”

The queen nodded then spoke in her strange doubled voice. “It is certainly not how I imagined my return, Princess Celestia.” She looked to Flash then the ponies behind her. She pointedly ignored the angered nobles.

Celestia too glanced to her side. Luna's eyes were hard. She had drawn her long sword and had the blade half concealed beneath her wing. She was leaning forward slightly ready to rush and engage the insectoid pony.

“Peace sister.” Celestia calmed her sibling.

Without looking away from the queen Luna motioned her brow to Cadence.

Celestia looked over, what she saw surprised her.

Cadence was radiating hatred. Her eyes had whitened with internal power and her mane writhed like an angry sea of snakes. Her crystal bow was drawn and a single silver arrow was notched. Pointed directly at Chrysalis' heart.

“Where. Is. My. Husband?” She spoke in deathly tones.

Her eyes promised swift death if she didn’t like the answer.

Chrysalis’ ears perked and she took on a stricken look. To her credit, the changeling queen didn’t falter. She did swallow hard. She had little doubt whether Cadence would miss at this range.

“First a peace offering if she’ll lower that.”

Celestia nodded. “Please Cadence. No more death here.”

The gold stripe in Cadence's mane pulsed and momentarily turned a sickly green color. “I won’t let you get away again.” Her voice was angry and her eyes narrowed. She eased back on the draw and lowered the bow but she didn’t put it away.

Dark chitin flexed as the queen blew out a sigh of relief. She raised her chained hoof and shook it. The manacle fell away immediately. It hadn’t even been locked. “I came here of my own accord. You three step away.”

Flash and his companion guard both walked off to the side. Raven came up to join them.

Blueblood leaned forward studying the three. “Flash!” he whispered worriedly.

“I bit them. Right now they are subject to my suggestions. But other than that they are not harmed. We did not feed off of them. I return them to you unspoiled.” She took a deep breath.

Coldfront moved forward to stand next to the tall changeling.

“I wish to hold no captives or force any conflict Princess Celestia. Not today.”

Celestia breathed an internal sigh of relief. Flash, Raven and Wet Stone were much too close for her to attempt a rescue. A lingering pain in the top of her horn reminded her how well fighting the queen went the last time.

“You’ve made quite the effort to be here today. Pray, tell us what you want.” Luna's words were tense.

“I want to help you find Shining Armor and I want Clemency for the changelings still under my control.” She breathed out a sigh as she said it. As if she were taking a great stone from her back and placing it on the floor.

Celestia looked and as the initial shock of the meeting had begun to wear off she saw that Chrysalis was much thinner than she remembered. The bright polish to her chitin was faded and she appeared more grey than black. Her eyes had sunken considerably. There was a tremble in her stance that she hadn't noticed at first.

“In return I shall surrender. I’m not long for this world and if exacting justice for my crimes will help those left behind, I offer myself.”

The trio of princesses rocked back on their hooves. Celestia blinked in surprise. Cadence snarled in disbelief and Luna sheathed her sword in disgust. “I shall never draw blood again, shall I?” She said just loud enough to be heard.

Chrysalis let out another sigh then hung her head. “I can no longer lead the Changelings that follow me. I can’t feed them anymore, they will starve if something isn’t done.”

Cadence sneered, drawing her bow once again. “If you think for a second that we believe you, you are mistaken.”

Chrysalis took another deep breath. Luna stopped. She gently lowered Cadence's bow with her magic. These weren’t pauses for effect or drama. Nor was she being particularly loud. The Queen was having trouble breathing.

“Prisma, come here,” she wheezed. Coldfront stepped forward. His eyes darted back and forth between the princesses on the dias. Terrified.

“Celestia,” the Changeling croaked out. “I surrender. I yield. I give up.” Her whole body slumped as if a great weight had been lifted.

“I only ask that you not punish those I have left behind.” She gasped again.

Coldfront walked up to her “Rest my Queen I shall handle the rest.” A flash of defiance crossed the weakened Changeling but it passed quickly. Chrysalis nodded and took a step back.

Coldfront raised his head and looked Celestia directly in her eye. “The queen of the changelings can no longer lead us. She has surrendered to an enemy and is therefore no longer worthy.”

Chrysalis let out a weak chuckle. “Well spoken.”

“I claim my birthright, such as it is.” With a deep breath green fire engulfed the yellow Pegasus. His form shrunk considerably and his wavery voice became young and feminine accompanied by that strange double vocalization.

The throne room grew quiet as the fire revealed the strangest changeling anypony had ever seen.

“I am the Queen of the changelings.” She was just a bit bigger than a foal and covered in white downy fur. Her legs were free from holes or insectine joints. She had four delicate furry wings covered in that same white fur but highlighted with baby blue swirls. Her eyes were more akin to the reformed changelings like Thorax or Ocellus. The eyes were wide and inviting and were the same shade of blue as the highlight in her wings.

She had a kind of collar of white fluff around her neck like a bee or a moth. Aside from the eyes and the wings she looked very much like a normal alicorn foal. The top of her head adorned by two blue furred antennae and a solid white blade like horn with no spiral or grove on it sat in the middle of her forehead.

She was adorable. Even the serious contemplation on her face just enhanced the foallike aspects of her. She tried to stand tall but aside from being short it was clear she was terrified of her audience.

Chrysalis breathed deep yet again “My heir, and the rightful leader of the changelings. My...my daughter and Shining Armor’s first born.”