• Published 1st Nov 2018
  • 13,879 Views, 3,699 Comments

The Haunting - Admiral Biscuit



My new house in Equestria came with more than I'd bargained for.

  • ...
30
 3,699
 13,879

Chapter 16

The Haunting
Admiral Biscuit

Most of the weekly market revolved around food, and while it had taken me a while to get used to that idea, it was actually a lot of fun to shop like that. I got to talk to ponies I might not have otherwise, and all my food was farm-fresh. There were some staples that the general store had, but for anything fresh, the market was the place to go.

But that wasn’t the only thing that they sold. Lots of ponies had little cottage industries of their own, and so you could buy soaps and candles and wooden plates and wicker baskets—in fact, if you came by early in the day, you could order a wicker basket to your specifications and it would be done by the time market closed. I spent a lot of time watching the wicker mare working, skillfully bending and weaving her creations.

Some ponies also sold second-hand goods, and it was there that I got an inspiration. One of them had a stuffed pony that looked a lot nicer than the one she had. The eyes were nice and shiny, there weren’t any obvious repair stitches, and even the plush was still silky-smooth.

I knew full well that a new toy would never take the place of a beloved toy, but at the same time, I thought it might be a good peace offering, so I bought it and added it to my day’s purchases.

I wasn’t sure where to leave it. Right in the center of the room, while obvious, might also appear to be a trap. Then again, I wasn’t sure if she’d see it that way, and sometimes the simplest solution was the best, after all.

But, if she thought it was a trap when it was open and obvious, I wouldn’t get a second chance at it. She’d think it was a trap no matter what I did with it after that.

So I thought that I’d start by sort of hiding it. I knew that she explored boxes—her toy box was a prime example of that—so I could put it in a box, ‘forgotten,’ and see if she took it. If she didn’t, then I could consider something else.

I found a box downstairs that was way too small for me to fit in, just in case it had occurred to her that I might be hiding inside a box to surprise her.

That wasn’t the only thing in there. I put it on top of some of my winter clothes, and I paid attention to exactly how everything was sitting, lest she decide to rummage through the box and then put things back when she was done. In hindsight, that was a silly idea, but it made sense to me when I did it.

I went up to check on the box every day, around lunchtime. I figured that no self-respecting ghost would be out in broad daylight, not even in an attic.

She didn’t take the bait.

•••••

As strange as it sounds, I missed the ghostly noises at night. They’d been creepy and unnerving before I knew what they were, but now that I did know, the house felt lonely without them.

On occasion I’d look at her other toys, just to make sure they were in the same place they’d been. Just in case she decided she wanted to move them farther away from me. I didn’t think that she knew that I knew that they were there, but then she’d hidden them which suggested that she didn’t trust that nobody would take them from her.

I wouldn’t have blamed her if she had, and if I’d gone up one afternoon and they’d all been gone, at least that would be some closure.

Was she looking for a new house to haunt, having found this one untenable? Maybe she had, and maybe that was why she didn’t want her toys any more. Maybe she’d gone somewhere else that had better toys for her to play with, but in case she hadn’t, I made sure that the dormer window stayed wide enough open to let her pass.

Down in the yard, her trowel remained untouched as well. I checked on that, too; surely that was something she could grab quickly and get away with if she’d wanted to, but she didn’t.

I could write her an apology note, and I could put it under the trowel. Maybe she’d see it, maybe she’d read it—if she could read. Or maybe she wouldn’t; maybe it would get rained on and ruined.

I wished that I knew who she was, and I wished that I knew where she was when she wasn’t at my house, and I wished that I hadn’t scared her off.

•••••

Even though it wouldn’t accomplish anything, I went around the cemetery again, just in case I’d missed something I should have seen the first time around.

I found nothing that felt right. Granted, I could still be missing the obvious; I could have looked at her grave multiple times and just not known, but I was sure I hadn’t.

Back on Earth, or even in Equestria before the ghost, I would have thought I was being silly to think that I might somehow know what grave was hers. She could have died dozens of years ago or more; any graves of young ponies could be the right one. Especially since their names didn’t seem to be gender-specific. But back before I’d moved to Haywards Heath, I’d had no belief in the supernatural, and now I did.

I felt that if I’d only had a camera and taken a picture of her—assuming that it showed up on film—I could have showed ponies in town and they probably would have recognized her. Without that, though I had no real evidence to show, just my word. And I knew full well that the word of a transplant to town wouldn’t carry very much weight, not without either evidence to back it up, or a predisposition by a pony to believe what I had to say.

If I only knew her name. I didn’t know if she could speak, but I knew she could hear, and I thought that I could call for her. Even if she was too wary to approach me closely, she might approach close enough that I could plead my case, that I could beg for forgiveness.

I wasn’t going to learn it in the cemetery, and another few afternoons in the library didn’t turn up any promising leads, either.

Nothing in the attic had been touched since I’d scared her off, nor had I seen any new evidence of nighttime gardening.

•••••

My house felt emptier without her, which was strange. It was no more empty than I thought it had been when I moved in, and yet, it was not beyond the bounds of possibility that houses in Equestria carried something with them, something that I’d broken with my stupid actions. When I walked down the street and saw my house among all the others, it looked cold and lonely and uninviting, and that was something that I’d never noticed before.

Maybe it was just familiarity setting in, and maybe a little bit of the idea that the grass was greener on the other side of the fence—maybe if I’d instead bought Milfoil’s house, I would be thinking the same thing when comparing that to the house I’d actually bought.

I was going to have to ask around in town. And there were two ways to do it. The first, the one that hadn’t been successful thus far, was the subtle way. Ask loaded questions, vague questions, do my best to obscure my line of questioning. Of course, I knew full well that all I’d get in response were vague answers, or something completely off-topic, and while there were probably people skilled at reading between the lines, I wasn’t one of them.

Milfoil would be the obvious choice. Since she lived right next door, she’d be the most likely to have observed the ghost before, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I still was worried that I was the only one who’d seen it, either because ponies couldn’t, or because I was crazy. She wouldn’t want to know that she was living next to a crazy person, that would keep her up at night wondering what crazy thing I might do next.

The more I thought about it, the more I thought the old stallion would be my best bet. He’d said more than once to come to him if I needed anything, and he also seemed just a little bit off to me. Maybe it was age; maybe his memory wasn’t as sharp as it had been, or maybe he was a little bit crazy himself. He might be willing to believe, anyway.

It was a pity that ponies didn’t have phone books; still, it was a small town, so it wouldn’t be any trouble to find him.