• Published 1st Nov 2018
  • 13,847 Views, 3,699 Comments

The Haunting - Admiral Biscuit



My new house in Equestria came with more than I'd bargained for.

  • ...
30
 3,699
 13,847

Chapter 20

The Haunting
Admiral Biscuit

In general, ponies were different than humans. Obviously, they had hooves and tails and ears and most of them were bright pastel colors. Having spent most of my life on Earth, I had certain expectations whenever I was about to meet a pony, expectations that I’d built up over the years on Earth.

Ponies generally confounded those expectations, but that didn’t stop my brain from making assumptions every single time.

Thus, I had an image in my mind of a kindly old woodcarver, wearing a green woodworking apron, with a long white beard. I could picture his workshop, too; I’d seen enough episodes of This Old House to know exactly what a proper woodshop ought to look like.

Long Bent exactly met my expectations. He had a green apron and a long white beard. He even had glasses.

His workshop and his sales floor were one and the same, just cordoned off into separate areas by shelves displaying his toys. A sensible arrangement; he could carve when there weren’t any customers in the shop.

When I came through the door, he was working. He had a half-finished toy clamped in a vise, protected by a towel. He had a little wood chisel clipped onto one hoof, and he was lightly tapping it with the shoe on his other forehoof.

He looked up when I entered, and efficiently unfastened his chisel before coming over to the counter to greet me.

We exchanged pleasantries, and then I showed him the toy dog I’d bought at market. “Did you make this?”

Long Bent nodded. “Couple dozen moons ago. For . . . let me see.” He rolled it towards himself and examined it carefully. “Yes, I made that for Mint Flower. He loved it, named it Spots. Sometimes he’d drag it around town like it was a real dog, but colts grow up and get other interests. It still rolls well, though.” He pushed it across the counter to demonstrate. “I always put beeswax on the axles—that keeps them from rusting. Do you need it repaired? I could make a new ear for it, repaint it, and put a new string on it.”

“I kind of like it the way it is,” I said. “It shows that it was a beloved toy. That wasn’t what I wanted to ask you about, though. I saw this at the market, and I bought it because it reminded me of another toy I’d seen.”

“Another dog?”

“A duck. It was in the attic of my house when I moved in.” As far as I knew, it was still there—it had been this morning, still tucked down between the attic floor and the roof. “I saw the wheels, and they were just the same.”

He got a little frown. “Yes, that would have been Windflower’s. Such a shame, what happened to her.”

I thought he was going to tell me everything without further prompting, but instead he fell into silent contemplation, so after a somber moment, I prompted him again. “I heard that she was out in the woods.”

He nodded slowly. “Yes, it was a nice day, the kind of day where it doesn’t seem anything could go wrong, and you know how close the house is to the edge of town. Fillies and colts are always playful and adventurous, and she went off into the woods.

“Nopony knew that an aenocyon was hunting in the woods.”

Now I knew how the word I hadn’t recognized in the newspaper was pronounced, but I still didn’t know what it meant. “What is that?”

“A terrible wolf,” he said. “Big and mean and fast. It might have stalked her for a while, until it was sure she was far enough away from town.

“When she didn’t come home for dinner, a search was organized, but by then it was far too late for her. There wasn’t much left, poor thing.

“It was her grand-uncle that found her . . . and the aenocyon. Luckily for him, he wasn’t the only pony there, so it didn’t attack him, just abandoned its lair and ran off deeper into the woods, but everypony knew it would be back.

“The town was in a tizzy for a week until a detachment of Royal Guards took care of the wolf. Nopony went out after dark until the monster was dispatched, and foals weren’t allowed to be outside.”

•••••

I went home in a daze and fell into my lounge chair, the wooden dog held on my lap. I’d gotten the answer I’d been looking for, and now I wished I hadn’t.

I was still sitting there when the sun went down. I was vaguely aware that I should probably eat dinner, but I didn’t feel like it. I also needed to move the flowers, but I didn’t feel like doing that, either. Surely the ones that were outside would be fine for another night.

Milfoil, it turned out, didn’t think so.

I might have dozed off, or I might have just been completely lost in thought. I certainly didn’t hear her knock, but then she might not have knocked. She might have just let herself in through the back door.

My first indication of her presence was when she nuzzled my arm, and I think I screamed.

She jerked back but didn’t run for the door. “Are you okay? Were you having a nightmare?”

“Yes.” I clutched the wooden dog tightly. “Yes and yes. Well, a vision of sorts.” A vision of a cute little filly in the woods, unaware of the wolf just behind her, and maybe she saw it at the last moment when it was already too late to run, or maybe she only realized as its teeth were digging into her flesh.

“You look pale.” She braced herself on the arm of my chair and touched a hoof to my forehead. “Are you sure that you’re okay?”

“I . . . don’t think I should be alone right now,” I said. “I’m not right in the head at the moment.”

“Is it your secret?”

I nodded. There was no point in pretending that it was anything else.

“Can you tell me?”

I shook my head.

“Well. I have some stew I made, I’ll bring some of that over, you just sit here. That might help you feel better, and I’ll move your flowers for you.”

“You don’t have to do that.”

“Yes, I do.” She turned for the kitchen. “You just stay right here, I’ll be back in a jiffy.”

•••••

Milfoil left long after dark, after I’d assured her multiple times I was feeling better. Neither of us talked much, and she didn’t press me to tell her what was on my mind.

I didn’t sleep well at all.

•••••

The next morning when I went to the attic, the blanket was gone. The other toys were still in their places, and I picked up the duck and took it downstairs and put it next to the dog, idly pushing the two of them instead of making breakfast or getting ready for work like I should have been.

I knew what I had to do next.

My boss was understanding when I said that I had to take the day off.

•••••

I took the duck with me and headed off into the wilderness.

It was foolish of me to think that I’d ever find her hiding place in the woods. I had nothing to go on at all; this was the fool’s errand to end all fool’s errands. A complete waste of time. What I should have been doing was explaining everything to Milfoil, or going back to the old stallion’s house and apologizing to him over and over again.

It was foolish of me to think I’d ever find her hiding place in the woods, but I did.

It was down in a natural depression, ringed partially around with bushes, and half-blocked off with the decaying trunk of an enormous tree. I could just see a corner of the blanket sticking out from under it.

As if that hadn’t been an obvious enough clue, there were some bones scattered about, partially covered by the leaf-litter.

Long Bent had mentioned a cave, and this wasn’t it. I knew in my heart that the ponies hadn’t found this. I could picture it as clear as day—the old stallion had found the cave, had found the wolf, and they’d chased it off, maybe had a few pegasi patrolling from above to track its movements, but it wouldn’t have come back here.

They might have thought that she wandered into the cave to explore and that’s where the wolf got her, but it wasn’t. This was the spot.

I was going to have to bring the old stallion out here. I had no right to disturb this place, no right to touch anything. I would not approach any closer than I already had.

I set her toy down near the edge of the clearing, where she’d be sure to spot it. A bright yellow duck against the greens and browns of the forest, completely unmissable.

Was she there right now? Did she hear me? See me? She could have been hiding under the tree; that might have been her final refuge.

I wasn’t a religious man by any means, but I knelt down and bowed my head and said a prayer for her, and I asked for her forgiveness for my foolish actions.