• Published 1st Nov 2018
  • 13,839 Views, 3,699 Comments

The Haunting - Admiral Biscuit



My new house in Equestria came with more than I'd bargained for.

  • ...
30
 3,699
 13,839

Chapter 51

The Haunting
Admiral Biscuit

I couldn’t focus on work.

At lunchtime, Thaler stopped by my desk and said that he could tell I wasn’t all there and should take whatever time I needed to sort things out. After his assurance that he didn’t think less of me for it, and the observation that some of my earth pony co-workers still hadn’t come back from their spring planting, I thanked him and left.

I could have gone home but I didn’t. I could have gone to Milfoil’s house, but I didn’t do that, either.

I went into the woods.

I went to Windflower’s little forest glade.

Not because I was expecting to see anything there—I wasn’t. But because it felt right. It felt like what I needed to do. It felt like it might be the place to get some closure.

I leaned up against a sturdy oak tree and listened to the sounds of the forest, and the song of the forest.

How often did people visit graves? I’d only ever visited my grandparents’ when they’d been buried, and sometimes I thought about them, but I never returned. That was different, though. They’d lived a full and proper life, and while it was important to go through the motions for closure, it wasn’t the same when it was a child. When it was an unfinished life.

Had she ever thought of it as her home? I didn’t think she had. She would have brought all her toys here if she had.

It was a place where she was trapped, bound to, and now she was free.

Small trillium flowers were poking up through the leaf-litter, the match to the one over her grave.

“Hey.”

I didn’t turn my head—I just reached my arm out and put it across Milfoil’s back.

“I thought I’d find you here.”

“Did Thaler tell you he sent me home?”

“No, but I’m not surprised. I told you that you didn’t have to go back to work until you’re ready.”

“Back on Earth, I’d be fired for that,” I said. “Maybe even in Manehattan.”

“Haywards Heath isn’t Manehattan.”

“I know.” I turned and kissed her forehead. “Believe me, you’re not missing anything. I wasn’t sure I was making the right choice when I moved here—there’s a lot Manehattan has to offer, but I was tired of paying rent and maybe that wasn’t the best motivation.”

“The why doesn’t matter.” Milfoil sat down next to me. “Sometimes I think that I should have stayed on the farm instead of moving into town, but I wanted to try something different and I was too stubborn, too proud, to admit at first how much I missed the fields and crops, and after a while I grew to love living in town. And there have been plenty of times where I’ve thought about how something I did or didn’t do made a change later on . . . if I hadn’t had a house in town, I wouldn’t have met you.”

“If I hadn’t bought my house, I wouldn’t have met you. Some people believe that fate or God has a plan for us all and we don’t always understand it.”

“Do you believe that?”

“I don’t know. When I add up all the decisions that led me to you, I have to wonder. What if—” What if Windflower had never decided to go in the woods to pick wildflowers? She would still be living in the house, and I wouldn’t have moved in. I wouldn’t have gotten punched by the old stallion, and I wouldn’t have piqued Milfoil’s curiousity by lying about it. We wouldn’t have fallen in love—but Windflower would still be alive. That would have been the best ending, for her if not for me.

But I couldn’t say that. That was a thought that should stay forever buried.

Milfoil knew what I was thinking. “’What if I’d planted oats instead?’ You can’t change the past, only the future.”

“All your pony magic, and that’s the best bit of wisdom you’ve got?”

“Not like it’s different for humans.”

“No, I guess it isn’t.”

The two of us fell silent, and regarded her glade. It was hallowed ground to us, to her, but to any other pony who happened to be walking through the woods, they wouldn’t see anything different about it. Maybe they’d have a feeling, a little bit of a chill as they went by, but they wouldn’t know why.

Maybe it was better that way.

•••

We stayed until sunset, and walked back home in the fading light of the day.

•••

It took a while to get used to Windflower not being at my house around nightfall, to not reading to her or helping her plan out her garden. Milfoil struggled with it, too; the two of us had gone to see a play and wound up leaving during the intermission. Even though we knew she wasn’t going to be waiting at home, we couldn’t focus on the play.

There was plenty of work to be done in the garden, and that helped provide closure. We’d talk about the plants as we worked, and my skills slowly improved, both the mundane and the magical. I could tell weeds apart from flowers, knew which insects were beneficial and which ones weren’t, and I could tell when the thirstier plants wanted more water.

“I just had an epiphany—it’s not just about how the flowers look together. There’s more to it than that. It’s like a symphony.”

“I wondered when you were going to figure that out.”

“It should have been obvious to me months ago,” I admitted. “As soon as I knew the forest had a different song than the town. It’s nice. She . . . she chose well. I wish we’d had more time together. The house feels empty without her.”

•••

I thought about going to the library and asking what the local traditions were, or asking other ponies in town, but that didn’t feel genuine. That might have cheapened the moment, turned it into a production rather than a genuine thing.

I could have gone down on a knee, but that didn’t feel right either. It felt too showy, like I was performing for an audience or a Hallmark movie, so one day when we were in the garden pulling weeds I just asked Milfoil if she’d marry me.

She tossed a weed at me. “I’m all sweaty and covered in dirt—don’t you know you’re supposed to ask me to marry you over a nice dinner? After I get all prettied up?”

I stuck my tongue out at her. “You're beautiful just like you are. Besides, I didn’t want to get a reservation if you were going to say no.”

“Of course I wouldn’t say no, you idiot.” She grabbed me in a tight hug.

“That’s a relief.” I wiped a bit of imaginary sweat off my brow. “Should I make reservations, then? At a nice restaurant?”

“You can make them at the Hayburger if you want to. I’ll still say yes.”