• Published 1st Nov 2018
  • 13,868 Views, 3,699 Comments

The Haunting - Admiral Biscuit



My new house in Equestria came with more than I'd bargained for.

  • ...
30
 3,699
 13,868

Chapter 32

The Haunting
Admiral Biscuit

Our first week of the new schedule was complicated. I didn’t want to have to read Bathtime for Biscuit ever again, and I was sure that Windflower would get tired of it, too. That meant more foals’ books, which meant a stop at the library, and that cut into naptime.

Therefore, food purchases were delegated to Milfoil. She was quicker at the market and had a better sense of what to buy, anyway, although I couldn’t help but wonder if she was slightly offended that I was pushing human gender roles on her. Or was that something that ponies even cared about?

Sometimes we napped at her house, and sometimes spent the night there after Windflower left. Her house was more lived-in, more comfortable than mine. It fit her like a worn-in baseball glove; it had been fitted to her needs and wants over a period of years, whereas I still hadn’t finished unpacking all my things, and half the house was still in a state of disarray from reorganizing things to fit Windflower’s needs, something I hadn’t anticipated needing to do when I’d first moved in.

All the little trinkets and knick-knacks also really helped out. She didn’t have nearly as much stuff as an equivalent human might have, but she had more than I did. Not that I was jealous of it. Less clutter meant it was easier to keep things clean.

•••••

“Do you have any family to visit for Hearth’s Warming? That’s coming up soon.”

“Yeah, but. . .” Going back to Earth wasn’t really worth the hassle, especially around the holidays. Everything was crowded and busy unless I left early and returned late, and weather could throw even more delays into travel. It was much smoother to go over the summer and spend a week or two.

None of us really cared that much about presents, but we’d always get a few things for a Christmas in July; other than that, I just mailed a few small items for my nieces and nephews.

“. . . I wasn’t planning to.”

“Not planning to!” She turned from the pie crust she was rolling. “That’s what Hearth’s Warming is all about!”

“I’m here, and my family’s back on Earth, and it’s just a pain,” I said. “Not really worth it.”

“Hmm.” She turned back to the crust.

“You’re planning something, aren’t you?” I knew her well enough to ask that question.

“Well, sort of,” she admitted. “My family is getting together for Hearth’s Warming at the farm, and you’re invited.”

“Thank you.”

“And you’ve got to see the pageant. That’s the day before.”

“That’ll be interesting—I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never watched it before.”

Milfoil picked up the crust and set it in a pie tin. “We’ve got to do something for Windflower, but I don’t know what.”

“I don’t know, either.”

“That might be the time to invite her great uncle over. I’ll have to talk to him about it. And we’ll have to decorate your house, too. It wouldn’t be right to leave it so barren.”

“I don’t really have much in the way of Christmas—Hearth’s Warming decorations.”

“That’s okay. We’ve still got time. We can make them together, that will be fun.”

•••••

We’d moved on from Biscuit books. Milfoil and I both agreed that those were below Windflower’s reading and comprehension levels, and the only reason she’d been interested in them at all was because they were new and had pictures.

The librarian had suggested Stranger on a Train, and so far I liked it, and so did Windflower.

•••••

She still was a bit hesitant to come into the living room. She’d always stick her nose in first and see who was there, and she still didn’t trust me alone. As long as she found Milfoil, though, she was content to approach me.

It hurt, a little bit, but I knew that that trust would come eventually.

Sometimes she’d bring one of her toys down from the attic, and one night instead of reading we had a small tea party, all sharing from the common cup. I thought about getting more from the cupboard, but that didn’t seem right.

“I recognized that cup,” Milfoil said after Windflower had left. “I’ve got the rest of the set.”

This was an interesting bit of information. “One of yours? She stole it?”

“Not until recently, and not stole.” Milfoil sighed. “It was a couple of years ago. She’d sometimes have tea parties in the backyard, and I remember that cup got dropped. She asked me if I could fix it, and I said that I couldn’t. She was really upset, and thought that her Mom would be mad at her for breaking it—you know how foals are sometimes.”

Milfoil leaned against my shoulder. “So she got to keep it as a toy, since it wasn’t much use for tea any more, and then after she died, and her parents were moving out, they sold the rest of the cups and I bought them.”

I didn’t want to press her, but I needed to know. “Because they reminded you of her?”

“Because I needed teacups.”

“Oh.”

“I guess that might have been on my mind, too. But I didn’t buy them just for the memories.”

“Her parents sold most of her things, didn’t they?”

Milfoil nodded. “Or just gave them away to other ponies.”

“Do you think she ever goes looking for them? And if she finds them, do you think she steals them back?”

“She might. Do you think that’s something I should ask her?”

“Probably not,” I admitted. “I’m curious, but I don’t think it’s all that important to know.”

•••••

It was well after dark, beyond the usual time that Windflower arrived, and I was starting to get antsy. Over the last few weeks, we’d established a pretty regular schedule—plus, I was curious who the stranger on the train would turn out to be. I had a guess, and I wasn’t going to spoil it by reading ahead.

“Why isn’t she here yet?”

Milfoil shrugged. “Maybe she’s upstairs playing with her toys?”

“We would have heard her, at least I think we would have.”

“Maybe she’s out playing in the snow.” Milfoil got up off the couch. “I’ll go look.”

“Do you think she would?”

“Why not? I would.”

“Alright.” I got up as well and followed her to the kitchen.

The two of us crowded up to the window, and it didn’t take us too long to find her. She was exploring the garden, moving through the stalks that had bent down from the weight of the snow on them, and I swear she was sometimes phasing into the snow and then popping back out somewhere else.

“We should join her,” I decided.

Milfoil had already decided the same. She’d already put a hat on and was stepping into her snow-boots.

It only took a minute or two for us to get dressed for outside. “You go first,” I suggested. “She won’t run from you.”

I saw Windflower’s ears perk up as Milfoil opened the back door, and she cowered into the shelter of the plants before moving back out into the yard. She didn’t stay in the garden very long; she zipped around the border of my yard.

Milfoil wasn’t content to let her have all the fun, and galloped off after her.

I watched them make two laps of the yard together before I remembered I was supposed to go outside and join them. I wasn’t too worried about Windflower fleeing at the sight of me since she was right next to Milfoil, and she didn’t.

Instead, as soon as she saw me, she cut a diagonal line straight across the yard, racing right up to the back steps before ghost-galloping back to Milfoil. It was plainly obvious what she wanted.

Running in snow-boots sucked. I don’t know how Milfoil was managing. Since she was a better runner than me normally, it stood to reason that she’d be better in boots, too; maybe that was it.

I didn’t want to wimp out on them right away, so I did my best to keep up, stumbling and shambling along through the snow.

They lapped me anyways.

When running in circles had gotten boring for Windflower, she made a smaller lap of the garden and then burrowed in with all the plants again. Milfoil followed her, although she mostly stuck to the edges.

Every now and then, Windflower would pop out and then vanish again just as quickly.

It was a game I didn’t think I should participate in unless invited, so I started rolling up snow to make a snowman.

That eventually got Windflower’s attention. She watched me first from the garden, and then moved out in the open when I stacked the middle piece on the base.

Every time I saw a picture of a snowman, it was a neat, orderly thing; mine wasn’t at all. The rolls of snow that made up its body were lopsided and stuck with leaves and other little bits of debris that the snow had picked up. He leaned a little bit, too: I thought he was going to topple when I set the head that Milfoil had rolled up on top of him.

I didn’t have any coal for eyes and a mouth, so I used chips of bark that were sitting at the bottom of my woodpile, and gave him a couple of arms made out of branches.

Windflower studied it, looking at it and then at me, and she finally shook her head.

“She’s an art critic,” I muttered, just loud enough for Milfoil to hear.

“I’ll fix it.” Milfoil stood on her hind legs and grabbed my hat off, then stuck it on the snowman. “There, now it’s the spitting image of you.”

“I’d like to see you do better.”

“You’ll have to wait till tomorrow, and I’ll make a proper snowpony.” She turned to Windflower, who didn’t seem overly impressed by the addition of the hat. “Do you want to come inside and warm up by the fire and read more?”

Windflower nodded, and followed us in through the kitchen door.