• Published 1st Nov 2018
  • 13,868 Views, 3,699 Comments

The Haunting - Admiral Biscuit



My new house in Equestria came with more than I'd bargained for.

  • ...
30
 3,699
 13,868

Chapter 29

The Haunting
Admiral Biscuit

He didn’t answer me. Instead, he turned to Milfoil. “I’ve known you since you were a filly, and you were never one to make up stories. Have you told anypony? Who else knows?”

“Nopony but us three.”

“Keep it that way.” He lowered his head. “I would—she knows where I live, and she could have come by if she’d wanted to, couldn’t she have? But she didn’t. I want to see her, but I don’t know if I should. Maybe she needs to let go completely before she can be at peace.”

Or maybe she’d want to say goodbye to you. I kept my mouth shut; it would be wiser to let the two ponies come to a decision.

Milfoil leaned forward and nuzzled his neck. “You know where to find us. Come over whenever you want.”

He walked away like a man on his way to the gallows. I wanted to chase after him, to insist that he come over and see her and if I had been alone, I would have, and it probably would have been the wrong thing. If he’d thought that coming over to my house would help, he would have done it, regardless of what my opinion on the subject had been. I was certain of that.

•••••

“’Whenever you want?’ What if I’m in the shower? Or on the toilet?”

“That’s a silly thing to worry about,” she said. “I just wish that you’d told me that you’d decided to invite him over like that.”

“How could I not?” I opened my front door and stepped into my living room. “You saw him. Besides, it’s my house, I can do what I want.”

“But it’s not your house alone,” she reminded me. “What if Windflower doesn’t want to see him? I can ask her—once I draw her out a little bit more, I can ask her if she wants to see him, and then you can invite him over. Maybe she’ll want to lead him to her bones, or maybe she still doesn’t want them to be found. We need to know what she wants, and the only way to find out is to ask her, and the only way we can ask her is if she trusts us enough so that we can. She might not like other ponies showing up; she’s nervous enough as it is.” She pushed me with her hoof. “Go get the fire started. There isn’t much time before she comes in, you know.”

“I know.” I started to lay out the kindling, wishing that I’d done that before we left for the restaurant. “I’m sorry. It seemed like the right thing to do, I thought he’d demand to come over and see her or be mad that I hadn’t told him more sooner. I could have—I should have.”

“So remember to do that from now on.” She tilted her head towards the stairs. “I’ll be right back; I’ve gotta use the sandbox.”

I considered a cutting remark about the old stallion coming over while she was in the bathroom, but my heart wasn’t in it. I knew she was right, and there was no sense in continuing our little argument.

•••••

There was something mesmerizing, something primal about watching a fire take hold. Watching the tiny little flame stretch and reach for each new bit of fuel, tentatively at first then faster as it gained size and strength. It raced across the rest of the kindling and became alive enough that I could feel the heat beginning to radiate from the fire as the first stack of sticks caught alight, hissing and popping as the last traces of moisture steamed out of them.

It slowed again as it got to the larger branches, dying down as the easiest kindling and branches were consumed, before growing anew.

I’d been so focused on the fire, I didn’t notice right away that Milfoil had come back. I was still kneeling on the floor and she was standing, which put the two of us at nearly the same height. She had the same faraway look in her eyes. Did ponies also have a species memory of taming fire, of shaping it to their will? A moment in equine history when it went from being a thing of fright to a useful tool?

Surely, long before the advent of writing, there had been a god of fire, a god of chaos, spoken of in whispers. A god who might, on a whim, set the plains or forests afire, and send all fleeing before his wrath. A god who was no longer remembered, for he’d been slain when humankind had captured and tamed his creation.

•••••

Milfoil and I were stretched out on the floor in front of the fireplace when Windflower came down. It was cold and not terribly comfortable for me, although the discomfort had been offset by fond memories of laying on the floor when I was a kid.

Our shoulders were touching, and her tail occasionally brushed across my legs. I think she was wagging it, but I didn’t want to bring that up.

Windflower came halfway into the room before she noticed me, and immediately backed up—but not all the way. Most of her head was still in the room as she considered what to do next. Was lying on the floor like this something that ponies did in their own homes, or would it look like something else to her?

There wasn’t any way I could look less threatening than I already did, so I just stayed where I was and watched her out of the corner of my eye.

Windflower nosed forward just a little bit, and I thought she was going to come into the living room until a knot popped in the fireplace and all three of us jerked in surprise. Windflower vanished back into the hallway, and I figured that she was gone.

“That was rather unfortunate timing,” I muttered.

“She’ll be back,” Milfoil assured me, and sure enough, a moment later her head poked back out of the hallway.

Windflower stayed there for a few minutes, long enough that I eventually looked away. Milfoil had two advantages for watching her anyway: she could look more directly at her without scaring her, and her body was better equipped to lie on the ground while still allowing good head movement. An advantage from evolving from a prey species, surely.

•••••

With my cheek resting on my arm, I could see some of the living room, and I saw when Windflower finally left the safety of the hallway and ventured into the living room, cautiously at first, then becoming more confident as I didn’t move.

It wasn’t too long before I lost sight of her again. I knew that popping my head up and looking for her would scare her off, so I didn’t.

This was worse than being in the kitchen and trying to imagine what was going on, and I think if Milfoil hadn’t been keeping watch right next to me, I would have gotten up. More and more I had the vision of myself lying on the ground as a corpse, being examined by a ghost.

Had Windflower ever studied me when I was sleeping? When I didn’t know that she was in the house? Before I set up my box-fort, had she peeked into my bedroom to see who or what was in the bed? I was convinced she had. Maybe she hadn’t dared to come in all the way; maybe she’d just watched from the doorway.

I saw a bit of movement off to my right, a brief glimpse of her viewed under Milfoil’s chin, just a foreleg at first, and then the other. I could relax a bit, knowing where she was. Knowing that she wasn’t going to jump on my back and drain the life out of me—if that was a thing that pony ghosts could do.

Windflower’s head came down, and she looked in my direction and caught my gaze before I could close my eyes or turn away. I could see in her own a faint fear, but it was overshadowed by curiosity. What was I? What was my purpose?

Sometimes I got stopped by fillies and colts in town, and they’d ask me questions about being a human. Usually their questions began with ‘is it true that. . . ‘ and I’d either confirm or deny a schoolyard rumor. Every now and then I was tempted to lie, especially when the question was absurd.

What would Windflower ask, if she could? Why I was in her house? Would she want to know what I was? Or since she was young, would things like that be an unquestioned part of the adult world, and her curiosity would be directed towards the subject of my relationship with Milfoil. Was she interested in the romantic prospects of her former neighbor?

Would she want to know where her toys went? Where her parents went?

I couldn’t answer those last questions.

When had she come back? Was it right after she died, or had it taken a while? Had she seen her parents packing up their belongings? Seen them in tears, seen other ponies come by the house to offer comfort or to help them move? Did they fight? Did she watch, not understanding what was happening? Did she blame herself for it? When they emptied her bedroom, did she see that as a sign that they didn’t want her any more? Had that been an act of betrayal?

I didn’t want to consider that, even though I knew in my heart that I was scratching at the awful truth.

Windflower’s eyes finally left mine, and she stretched out on the floor next to Milfoil.