• Published 1st Nov 2018
  • 13,837 Views, 3,699 Comments

The Haunting - Admiral Biscuit



My new house in Equestria came with more than I'd bargained for.

  • ...
30
 3,699
 13,837

Chapter 23

The Haunting
Admiral Biscuit

After dinner, we sat together on the couch. “I have a confession to make,” Milfoil said. “There wasn’t really a secret ingredient in the pie.”

“So the spices you put in wasn’t it?”

“No, that was just ginger, allspice, clove, and cardamom. I got something else instead.” She slid back off the couch. “Stay right here and I’ll get it.”

She was only gone for a moment, and she returned with a bottle of wine in her mouth. “It’s a honey white.” Her ears drooped. “I should have brought cups, I didn’t think of that.”

“I’ll get some.” I didn’t have proper long-stem wine glasses, but even if I had, I wouldn’t have chosen them unless she insisted. I had no idea how she’d hold a wine glass with her hooves.

By the time I got back to the couch, she had the bottle opened, with no sign of a corkscrew.

That mystery was solved after she’d poured two generous measures; she stuck the cork back in the bottle with her mouth. Presumably, she’d gotten it out the same way.

•••••

It might have been the wine talking, but I thought that Windflower was up in the attic. Milfoil had one ear cocked up as well. “Do you think she’ll come downstairs?”

“I doubt it. I think she’ll be cautious this time. She might not even go down the stairs.”

“I wonder if she can smell the pie?”

“I don’t know.” I leaned back against the couch—pony wine was powerful stuff. “Does having a cutie mark in winemaking make wine stronger?”

“Probably.” Milfoil giggled. “I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Ponies with flower cutie marks grow bigger flowers and ponies with baking cutie marks cook better food, so why wouldn’t a pony with a wine cutie mark make better wine?” She leaned forward to get the bottle again, bracing herself with a hoof on my leg. The bottle was slightly out of reach her and for a moment I thought she was going to go off the couch, so without thinking I grabbed onto her mane and tugged her back.

“Oh, god! I’m sorry about that—that must have hurt.”

“Going muzzle-first into the carpet would have hurt more.”

“I would have grabbed your shirt if you’d been wearing one. It was just reflexes.”

“I should have put the bottle closer. I—” she cocked her ear. “Listen. That’s got to be her. Where is she?”

I was about to say that I didn’t know, but then I heard a familiar creaking noise. “That’s the bathroom door.”

“So she did come out of the attic.”

“I guess so. Maybe she wants to take a bath again.” How often did ponies normally bathe? That wasn’t a question I was comfortable asking Milfoil.

The door creaked shut and I waited in eager anticipation for the sound of running water, but it never came. Maybe she’d just wanted to peek into the room to make sure that nothing had changed in there.

I don’t know when Windflower left. She didn’t come all the way down to the ground floor, and she didn’t spend much time upstairs playing with her toys.

•••••

“You’ve never seen the Running of the Leaves, have you?”

I shook my head.

“You have to come. It’s a town-wide holiday, and we gallop along to help the trees shed their leaves.”

“That’s not how it works,” I protested.

“Maybe not on Earth, but that’s how it works here. There’s a big shindig after that, and tomorrow’s Winter Dawn.”

“I’m not much of a runner.”

“Well, you can just watch, but it’s more fun to run. It’s not competitive, it’s social. Nopony gets a prize for winning.”

“How about coming in last?”

She stuck her tongue out at me. “If you promise to run, I’ll stay with you, and even if you’re as slow as a sloth, I promise you I’ll cross the finish line behind you.”

I wasn’t worried about coming in dead last, even though I probably would. It was more the idea of running or jogging that I didn’t like. What was the point of it?

But sometimes the way to fit in in a small town was to do the things the locals did, and it would be fun to spend a day with Milfoil, a day where I could put my thoughts and worries aside. A day to just cut back and relax.

“Okay, fine, I’ll do it.”

“Great! We start kinda early, about an hour after sunrise. Everypony meets up at the town square, and then we make our way to the edge of town.”

“An hour after sunrise? Is it too late now to change my mind?”

•••••

This was the first time I’d seen the majority of ponies in Haywards Heath all together, and it was plenty crowded in the square. Race officials were going around, taping numbers to ponies, and everyone was just talking and having a good time. I even got a set, which I moved to the front and back of my shirt.

Milfoil left me alone for a little while to talk to some of her friends, and I studied the crowd. The pegasus couple I’d chased off my roof was there, both sporting numbers, and they weren’t the only pegasi who were running. The event looked like it was open to all ponies, or at least all adult ponies—I didn’t see any runners who didn’t have a cutie mark.

By mid-morning, race officials had led us to the starting point. No one explained the rules; although since it was all for fun, I suppose there was no reason to have to.

When the starting whistle sounded, the entire herd took off. Milfoil had lied a bit; there were some ponies who did treat it as a race, and they galloped off quickly. They looked like mostly younger ponies, perhaps ones that felt like they had something to prove, or were showing off for their significant others.

The rest of the crowd was a lot more restrained, going at an easy trot, something that even I could keep up with. At least if the race wasn’t too long.

“Do you think that Windflower is watching?”

“She might, if she can come out during the day.” I could see the route that the leaders were taking, and we were going to pass along the edge of the forest where she lived.

“Even if she doesn’t, she’ll feel the change. Any Earth pony would. You might, too.”

I shook my head. “Humans can’t feel magic.”

“You say that, but how do you know? Maybe you just think you can’t, because you never try.”

I didn’t have a good answer to that.

•••••

We didn’t finish last, so Milfoil didn’t have to make good on her promise of crossing the finish line behind me. Although, as we got close, her own competitive streak cut in, and she took off at a full gallop.

I caught up to her briefly, and then she left me in the dust. Rather than exhaust myself completely, I just slowed back down and watched her. There was something magical, something beautiful about seeing a pony gallop. It was much more coordinated than a human running. With the whole crowd together, it almost looked like ocean waves.

Once we’d crossed the finish line, we were given a drink of water, and then we stayed to cheer on the rest of the racers.

Milfoil hadn’t been lying about the racing pulling the leaves off the tree, either. They’d been falling during the entire run, more than felt normal, but now that I was looking back at the end of the course, the change was obvious. A steady rain of leaves was coming down, and when I looked the other way, all the deciduous trees were completely leafless.

A few ponies congratulated me on my first Running of the Leaves, and once the final ponies had crossed the line, everybody went their separate ways to get ready for the party.

•••••

Most of the ponies went around their daily business unclothed, and while that had been odd at first, I’d gotten used to it.

It threw me for a loop to see Milfoil in a dress . . . not just a dress, but an entire ensemble. She even had fancy boots on her hooves, a necklace, and matching earrings.

I must have hesitated when I saw her, because she furrowed her brow. “Is something wrong?”

“I—you, I’ve never seen you wearing clothes before.” That sounded completely wrong. “I mean, I just didn’t expect such a fancy dress.” It looked like a prom dress to me, or something for a fancy ball; it wasn’t the kind of thing even a woman would normally have worn on Earth.

“Not everypony wears really fancy clothes, I could have worn something more casual.”

“No, no, it’s really pretty,” I assured her. “You look gorgeous.”

•••••

She wasn’t the only pony who was dressed up; in fact, nearly all of them were wearing something, and about half the mares were wearing dresses every bit as formal as Milfoil’s.

I’d been wondering how all those ponies were going to fit inside the town hall, but they hadn’t planned on that. Instead, the party was outside, in the market square. It was a bit chilly, at least for me, but not too bad as long as I stayed moving.

Staying moving wasn’t a problem at all. Besides milling about and going into the town hall for occasional snacks, there were also dances. At first, I said that I wasn’t going to participate in the dances because not only did I not know how to do human dances, I certainly didn’t know how to do pony dances.

Milfoil refused to accept that, and shot down my argument by explaining that if I never tried dancing, I’d never learn how, so then I drew the new line at not doing any dances that required me to be on hands and knees. She accepted that.

There were some dances for pairs, and other dances for groups, some of them with complicated footwork that I utterly failed to replicate. The only thing that I’d seen that came close was Riverdance, and ponies had four feet to do the moves with.

I didn’t trip over my own feet or knock anybody down, so in that regard, I was successful.