• Published 19th Sep 2018
  • 1,219 Views, 385 Comments

Life is a Test: A Series of Pony Logic Puzzles - Brony_of_Brody



The Mane 6 and Friends face a perplexing pile of pony puzzles. Probably.

  • ...
1
 385
 1,219

PreviousChapters Next
I Needed A One-Off Character From The Comics For This

Ever since the notorious jewel thief Rough Diamond's humble beginning as a tiny talking horse, she grew into burglary at a frankly alarming rate. She was branded a 'difficult filly', largely because of her penchant for making the school lunches of her fellow classmates suddenly disappear, and no amount of reinforcement, positive or otherwise, managed to dissuade her from stealing the school roof right before graduation.

Her track record had done her no favours when it came to higher education, but far too young and grossly under-qualified and with a sense of guile as big as hers, she was able to use every dirty trick and low-down swindle she could think of to major in Particle Physics and minor in Kleptomania at Manehatten University.

Clutching her new degree in her sweaty hooves, she would go on to mastermind her first bank heist, disguised as Princess Luna (a particularly daring gambit, as Luna hadn't even returned from the moon at the time and nopony recognised her...or perhaps that was exactly why she succeeded), and the theft of Trottingham - as in, the city, yeah, she stole a city - sealing her reputation as one of the most brilliant jewel thieves in all of Equestria.

It is during one such heist that we find Rough Diamond, trying to crack open a safe. As it happens, her plans for the night actually created a schedule overlap with another aspiring jewel thief - she caught him trying to crack it open earlier, but Rough Diamond managed to scare him off by pointing a banana at his head, and he laughed at first, before he would learn to his cost that the banana was in fact loaded.

Turning her attention to the safe. Rough Diamond sees that he's been attempting to open the safe by inserting three different keys into three different locks. Looking over the safe's mechanisms, she sees a large button next to the key locks reading "Attempt to Open". She deduces that once all the keys have unlocked all the locks, the button needs to be pressed in order to gain access to the valuable contents within.

However, the problem soon proves to be trickier than imagined. Rough Diamond has no idea what state the locks are in after the first intruder left, and the locks seem to function independently, so no hope of fiddling with one to hit a reset button for her. What's more, she cannot fiddle with a lock to figure out if it's locked or not, as the lock is one where the key doesn't need to be turned to change its state.

She doesn't have all night. She reckons as long as she goes through the right number of sequences, she should be able to get the safe open eventually, but how long would that take?

Author's Note:

Couldn't find a recurring master thief in the main show.

1. You have a safe with three locks: 1, 2 and 3. Each one is is unlocked by one of three keys: A, B or C.

2. To open the safe, each of the keys must be inserted into a lock and then somepony must press a button labeled “Attempt To Open.”

3. The locks function independently.

4. If the correct key is inserted into a lock when the button is pressed, that lock will change state — going from locked to unlocked or unlocked to locked.

5. If an incorrect key is inserted in a lock when the attempt button is pressed, nothing happens.

6. You don't know the statuses of any of the three locks.

PUZZLE: What is the minimum number of attempts that will guarantee that the safe opens?

PreviousChapters Next