• Published 19th Sep 2018
  • 1,219 Views, 385 Comments

Life is a Test: A Series of Pony Logic Puzzles - Brony_of_Brody



The Mane 6 and Friends face a perplexing pile of pony puzzles. Probably.

  • ...
1
 385
 1,219

PreviousChapters Next
Way Too Much Work To Escape

Often, Daring Do, archeologist extraordinaire, wondered how she found herself in situations like these.

Oh, it was easy enough once she was back at her writer's desk penning the aftermath of her last great adventure, but while it was still HAPPENING, it all seemed somewhat of a blur.

It was so routine. She had heard of the legendary Skull of Agesand, and having ridiculously itchy feet and a thirst for adventure (and money) she set off to find it. Unfortunately, for reasons that she would eventually have to sort out in her head once it was all done, she had stumbled into some sort of magic-based trap created by her nemesis, Ahuizotl. Well, enemy, nemesis, it really depended on how involved he got and what he was doing during daring's escapades.

So, this was just another adventure, really. So far nothing unexpected. Even if the trap was somewhat of an annoyance: she was right under a circular dome made of purple magic that covered the air above her. She recognised the magic well enough to know she could probably walk out of the sigil if she tried, but she knew Ahuizotl wouldn't leave her without a guard.

It would be sort of romantic to let her assistant Herpy rescue her, she thought, but she never liked stereotypes.

"...so, gremlin," Ahuizotl's talk with a small red demon from Tartarus he bound to his service shook daring out of her musing. "I have every confidence you'll be fast enough to catch her should she try to escape, as long as you don't enter the magical sigil..."

Daring tried to get herself airborne, beating her wings as furiously as she could, but soon found that her wings felt...heavy for some reason. After a few seconds, she was panting rather deeply out of exhaustion.

"Oh, don't try beating those wings now, my dear. The gravity's increased in that space. You'll just get tired." Ahuizotl shook his head. "Did you think I WOULDN'T think of that?"

"Honestly, sort of, yeah," Daring admitted. "Worth a try, though."

"Unlike that glorious relic, which will be worth so much more than a mere 'try'," Ahuizotl grinned. He turned to the gremlin, and adopted a considerably more serious face. "Make sure she doesn't leave that sigil. Fortunately the magic involved is so thorough not even you could screw this up, but you know me: I'm saying this just to make sure you're better. By any means necessary. Are we CLEAR?"

"C-crystal." The gremlin looked nervous. Daring had to admit she felt a bit sorry for the small demon: no-one ever deserved to have to play intern to anyone like Ahuizotl. She supposed even he could make actual creatures from Tartarus wet themselves.

"Excellent," Ahuizotl grinned all to malevolently. "Now if everyone will excuse me,I have a tomb to plunder." And he walked off, cackling to himself in the distance.

"Geez. I get it, you're evil. Seriously, you're just missing the moustache to twirl."

Daring allowed herself a small smile. "Oh great, now I can't get the image out of my head." However, as amusing as the thought of her arch-nemesis adopting and even more stereotypical look was, she had a trap to escape from.

Daring started to gallop towards the edge of the sigil as best she could with the increased gravity, but she soon found the gremlin, with a wicked grin on his face, right at the end of the edge. So she turned around and headed back to another, but that was to no avail as well.

Realising that the sensible thing to do if she was going to escape the clutches of the infernal creature, she made her way back to the centre. By her estimates, she was moving four times slower running than the gremlin could fly around the sigil.

Once she was out, however, the magic paralyzing her wings would wear off, and she could fly: a much faster means of travel than galloping. She wasn't as fast as her rabid fan Rainbow Dash at Daring-Con, but she wasn't a slowpoke.

Actually leaving was the tricky part, though. But there was truly no inescapable trap, in her knowledge. there would be a contrived coincidence or flaw that would allow her to get free (even if her readers would call it a flank-pull when the adventure actually hit the pages). So she sat at the centre of the sigil, and began to scratch what she knew so far on the floor with her hooves...

-

Rather astonishingly, despite having seemingly covered all the bases, by the time Ahuizotl returned, all that was left was a rather frightened looking gremlin and a rather pointedly archeologist-free magic sigil. The news, as one can imagine, didn't sit well with him.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE ESCAPED!?" Ahuizotl roared.

"S-sir! I swear on my demonic existence that it wasn't my fault!" stammered the gremlin.

Unfortunately, he couldn't, and the gremlin was dismissed. Painfully. Not even his ability to go from zero to top speed could save him from the wrath of Ahuizotl.

Author's Note:

Well, he couldn't. But you may be able to.

1. Daring Do is in the centre of a circular magic sigil 30m in diameter.

2. The gremlin guard patrolling the sigil can move four times faster than Daring can while she's contained within it.

3. Once Daring is out of the sigil the gremlin cannot catch her.

4. The gremlin tracks Daring by heading towards the edge of the sigil that Daring is approaching.

5. For simplicity's sake the value of pi is 3.14.

PUZZLE: How did Daring manage to escape from the magic sigil?

PreviousChapters Next