• Published 19th Sep 2018
  • 1,222 Views, 385 Comments

Life is a Test: A Series of Pony Logic Puzzles - Brony_of_Brody



The Mane 6 and Friends face a perplexing pile of pony puzzles. Probably.

  • ...
1
 385
 1,222

PreviousChapters Next
You Probably Would Have Preferred To Play Consequences, Really

It all started at your birthday party that Pinkie had offered to throw for you by way of thanks, both for being such a loyal customer at Sugarcube Corner, partially because your brilliant logic (or perhaps your genre savvy-ness when it comes to puzzles) needed celebrating for whatever unfathomable reason, but mostly because it's your birthday and parties are awesome.

Pinkie offered to have a game of puzzle solving, just for you.

It is rather embarrassing, all things considered. Truth be told, Pinkie's parties are great social get-togethers, but they seem to maintain the consistently filly-ish tone to them. Not to mention you don't even like puzzles THAT much (or maybe you do, given you're still reading this despite the fact it won't exactly go down in history as the Past Sins of your generation).

But since you're here and have for the most part stuck it out, despite how age inappropriate that all the conundrums you've solved for Pinkie and her friends are for a party, heck, even a show's setting like this one, you figure you may as well indulge her this one time as well.

You agree, and Pinkie rubs her hooves in glee before dashing off. She returns pi seconds later exactly (don't try to think about HOW exact) with a series of black and white hats, in as many different styles as your memory can recall the names of: bowler, top, woolly, and so many more, including what looks like Applejack's old Stetson painted white.

You hope that Applejack won't blow up at Pinkie too much afterwards.

Pinkie goes around, placing blindfolds over everypony including you. Judging by the lack of protesting, you figure that this is a puzzle everypony agreed to get involved in. She then places the hats on everypony's heads, fast as lightning, before ending with you.

A sense of familiarity rises within you: there are about six different puzzles you can think of that involve starting this way, but you can probably safely eliminate at least one, given you don't hear the sounds of Pinkie burrowing into the ground, nor the feel of soft earth around your shoulders.

She then guides you to sit in a circle with the other guests before explaining the rules:

Each guest has been given a hat, that is either white or black. There is also at least one of each coloured hat among all the guests. Once the blindfolds are off, you can see each other's hats, but you must not talk or communicate in any way about your hat colour. The challenge put to all guests is to correctly identify the colour of the hat they're wearing. Only one pony needs to guess correctly for the whole group to win. If nopony can answer, or somepony guesses incorrectly, then nopony gets any of that sweet sweet birthday cake that was being saved for the end of the party.

You have to admit that's a gutsy move on Pinkie's part, assuming she isn't bluffing. She hates short-changing guests and leaving them upset, as the ex-holder of the Element of Laughter, so she must really have faith in your puzzle solving skills.

She allows you to devise a plan before removing the blindfolds, but once the game starts, no talking, except for announcing your hat colour.

Frankly, cake is the only real reason to even go to a party, aside from perhaps the punch in large enough quantities, so there is quite the personal stake to succeed here. So how can you ensure that you can determine your hat colour and taste that sweet, sweet baked confectionary?

Author's Note:

It's true. There are so many versions of it. But this is the one I'm picking.

1. A group of ponies each wearing a hat.

2. The hats are either black or white.

3. There is at least one hat of each colour.

4. When the game starts, you cannot discuss the colour of your hat in any way.

5. If somepony can stand up and correctly announce the colour of their hat, all ponies win the game.

6. If even one pony does not deduce the colour of their hat correctly, then everypony gets denied your delicious birthday cake.

PUZZLE: What strategy should you suggest everypony follow to earn that cake?

PreviousChapters Next