• Published 19th Sep 2018
  • 1,219 Views, 385 Comments

Life is a Test: A Series of Pony Logic Puzzles - Brony_of_Brody



The Mane 6 and Friends face a perplexing pile of pony puzzles. Probably.

  • ...
1
 385
 1,219

PreviousChapters Next
Hello Darkness My Not-All-That Old (But I Guess It's Relative) Friend

The Crystal Empire, despite its name, isn't actually ruled by an emperor or empress, not even by BOTH an emperor or empress. No, it is instead ruled by the benevolent Prince Shining Armor And Princess Cadance, and despite the remote location of the empire and their frankly precocious and near-incurably powerful daughter Flurry Heart, they manage to get by as rulers.

One day, however, reports from the Empire archivist reports that King Sombra, the less-than popular previous ruler of the Crystal Empire (who rather notably wasn't an emperor either, but names are just labels), left behind trace remnants of his dark magic in the chamber downstairs, and is growing at a frankly alarming rate. If left unchecked, it could leak out of the vents and spread across the Crystal Empire, corrupting all its citizens into mini-Sombra clones, and even negating the magic of the Crystal Heart, the gem used to protect the entire empire, bringing a new age of darkness and despair.

And you wonder why nopony liked King Sombra: evil corrupting magic and oppressive rule aside, at least crime was kept low.

Fortunately, as former captain of Canterlot's Royal Guard, Prince Shining Armor has never shied away from getting his hooves dirty for his citizens, and he volunteers to go to the underground and contain the menace. Throwing up his best dome shield to protect himself and carrying Princess Cadance's love in his heart, he ventures into the unknown.

As soon as he arrives at the entrance of Sombra's chambers, he opens up his map. According to the piece of parchment, the chamber is a series of rooms, perfectly arranged into a 4-room by 4-room square. Shining is currently at the entrance, which was the room on the top left of the grid, and the exit was at the most south-west room. Each and every room is connected by airlocks (never let anypony say that Sombra was not one to keep up with modern technology as it happened), and Sombra's evil has managed to leak into every room except the entrance.

Knowing that as the size of an explosion increases, the number of problems that it is incapable of solving quickly approaches zero, Shining reasons that with ENOUGH explosions, he should be able to solve the problem of purging Sombra's taint. As it so happens, he is carrying several grenades powered by the Crystal Heart's magic for such an occasion, and he therefore decides to destroy each contaminated room one at a time, visiting each corrupted room once and then destroying it before he leaves.

Unfortunately, there is a catch. Once his zest for explosions clears up, he begins to realise that once he visits a corrupted room, he absolutely cannot leave without destroying the room, lest Sombra's evil escape via the airlocks to the Crystal Empire outside and turn all its residents into toothy, black-coated, stereotypical villains. There's also a far more pressing problem in that none of the paths he's drawn up so far actually allow him to destroy all the corrupted rooms without missing at least one.

So, how can it be done? Princess Cadance has made it quite clear that Shining can't pull any Heroic Sacrifices blowing himself up just to rid the world of Sombra (hopefully for good this time, he keeps coming back), because martyrdom is for chumps, and TV Tropes has ruined enough lives as it is anyway. So how can Shining Armor fulfill his princely duty and still make it back to his loving wife, whole and unspoilt?

Author's Note:

1. You have a 4x4 grid of rooms. The entrance is in the top left room, while the exit is in the bottom right room.

2. Shining Armor must enter through the entrance and leave through the exit.

3. All rooms except the entrance are contaminated with Sombra's dark magic.

4. Once Shining enters a contaminated room, he cannot leave it without first destroying it.

5. Destroyed rooms cannot be returned to.

PUZZLE: How can Shining Armor destroy ALL the contaminated rooms and not become corrupted by darkness?

PreviousChapters Next