• Published 19th Sep 2018
  • 1,222 Views, 385 Comments

Life is a Test: A Series of Pony Logic Puzzles - Brony_of_Brody



The Mane 6 and Friends face a perplexing pile of pony puzzles. Probably.

  • ...
1
 385
 1,222

PreviousChapters Next
Music Is Subjective, But Come On

Oof!

Oh my goodness, are you alright? I'm terribly sorry, I wasn't watching myself and...

...I see. I'm glad you're not too badly hurt. ...oh goodness! Your pecan muffins! They're all over the ground! My word, how much are they? I'll pay for another box, it's the least I can do!

No no, I won't hear another word!

Um...I'm sorry for shouting. I'm...told I need to be firmer, but I don't always like it. But I do know sometimes you have to be.

...wait. I recognise you. Are you that pony who helped Pinkie out? She said you always pick up pecan muffins from her place and...

You are? Um...I'm Fluttershy, by the way. If you're that pony, then...could you maybe...solvealittletteenytinyproblemfor me? Um...if that's alright with you...

Oh, not for free, obviously. I'll pay for a new box of muffins. And...maybe a few front row seats to the Summer Sun Celebrations? It's not far off, after all.

I'm in charge of music again, and I've got my usual choir of songbirds ready to play. This year though, I'm not composing the song...um, not entirely. One of the nobles from Canterlot is visiting, and there's a good chance she's coming to Ponyville for it. The song's for her, but she make some rather odd requests for the song.

Firstly, my bird choir is only allowed to sing in four notes: A, B, C and D, all in their major keys. No minor keys here. I can conduct the choir's singing in any order of four sequentially, there are many different combinations, but she said each combination of four must have one note each.

Secondly, I must include EVERY possible combination once and only once.

Thirdly, I am not allowed to change the position of any more than two notes in between combinations.

Fourthly, I cannot have the same note starting or ending each combination any more than twice in a row.

Finally, she wants the choir to be able to sing the song on a loop continuously, without breaking the previously mentioned rules.

Well, I believe once the melody has been sorted out, the accompaniment should be easy to sort out, but if you could compose the main theme for me, I would greatly appreciate it...um...but you don't have to if you don't want to...I'm just saying...

...you'll do it? Oh thank goodness. It's a good thing you like puzzles so much...or that's what Pinkie says, anyway...

Author's Note:

I actually had to buy another puzzle book just so I wouldn't have to fall back on the old-hat ones. Here is one of them.

1. Four birdsong notes A, B, C and D.

2. You must compose a song featuring every possible combination of notes once each, sequentially.

3. You cannot change the position of more than two notes in the next sequence.

4. No same note may be played first or last in more than two successive sequences.

5. The song must be looped, breaking none of the above rules.

PUZZLE: What should the birds sound like on paper?

PreviousChapters Next