• Published 19th Sep 2018
  • 1,209 Views, 385 Comments

Life is a Test: A Series of Pony Logic Puzzles - Brony_of_Brody



The Mane 6 and Friends face a perplexing pile of pony puzzles. Probably.

  • ...
1
 385
 1,209

PreviousChapters Next
The Answer 30

As Rainbow definitely knows she isn't possessed, she can explore one of the corridors alone. The problem is figuring out how to divide the rest of them.

Let's imagine you decide to send at least one group of four down one of the paths. That's a no-go, because what happens if they come back and they're in disagreement over where the exit is? If they're evenly split, then you'd have to guess who's lying and who's telling the truth.

But sending Rainbow, a pair and two groups of three down the four paths WOULD work.

When you come back to the room to report, you just listen to each group (assuming Rainbow doesn't find the exit herself). The groups will either give the same report over whether they found the exit, or there will be an argument breaking out. Now, one of three things can happen:

  1. If nopony in the group is arguing over the exit's location, it means either everypony is telling the truth, or you've paired the possessed students together. In either case, ignore the duo and go with whatever the groups of three are saying. This will of course only give you reliable information on three of the exits, but that's fine, since you can figure out the safe one through process of elimination.
  2. If only one of the groups is arguing, it must mean the remaining groups are telling the truth.
  3. If two groups are arguing, you know that you've split the possessed students into two groups. Even then, since you know that you can ignore what an arguing pair is saying, it's still safe to trust the majority of a group of three, since you know that there can only ever be one liar in each group.

Good thing Rainbow heard about this puzzle from one of the Daring Do books, eh?

PreviousChapters Next