• Published 19th Sep 2018
  • 1,216 Views, 385 Comments

Life is a Test: A Series of Pony Logic Puzzles - Brony_of_Brody



The Mane 6 and Friends face a perplexing pile of pony puzzles. Probably.

  • ...
1
 385
 1,216

Chapters Next
The Poison Apple Joke Cider

Cider Season was considered to be one of the highlights of living in Ponyville. There wasn't a whole lot else to look forward to, living in a small town in the country. The odd monster or evil villain invading the town did shake things up, but at least the place didn't have to deal with traffic. And every invasion did at least let the citizens get good exercise from all the running and screaming. And the community picnics as they repaired the town were always excellent.

It was during one such Cider Season that Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship, and her old student, Starlight Glimmer, were making their way to Sweet Apple Acres Orchard. This was rather worrying for the pair: the orchard opened for Cider Season in an hour and ten minutes, but Applejack, one of the owners and Twilight's long-time friend, had called them over, claiming that she had an 'awfully big doozie', and that she was hoping the two of them could think of some sort of solution by the time it was time to open up for the locals.

"So what does Rainbow Dash see in it, anyway?" said Starlight as they were walking, "I've never actually tried it for myself. I missed the last one."

"Well, Rainbow says that the taste is to die for," Twilight replied. "I personally think it's best shared with friends. Since, you know, if you just have it by yourself, that's when you need help, if you know what I mean."

"I don't know what you mean," Starlight said, blankly.

"Oh. Well, ask Rainbow. ask about that time she did somersaults after four mugs. I think she still remembers that despite everything." Just then, Twilight turned her head back forwards, and spotted the outline of an orange pony wearing a brown stetson hat. "Oh! There's Applejack!" She waved her hooves at their friend.

The pair trotted up to the farmpony. She looked somewhat tired, as if she had stayed up all night thinking about the problems with the world. Of course, Sweet Apple Acres pretty much WAS Applejack's world, so Twilight figured the analogy wasn't that far off.

Starlight spoke first. "Hey Applejack. You look terrible, no offense."

"Ah FEEL terrible," Applejack sighed. "Cider Season's comin' up any moment and this had to happen of all times..."

"What is it, anyway?" Twilight said, the concern evident in her voice. "Pests, or something like that?"

"If only. That'd actually be easier to deal with." Applejack shook her head. "Nah, Ah'm all wound up 'cos some no-good snake slipped some Poison Joke into one of our cider barrels right before we were done countin' 'em!"

"They did?" Twilight gasped. She was all too familiar with the effects of the flower that grew inside the Everfree Forest, with that plant having once caused her horn to flop over like a limp, wet towel several years ago. "But Poison Joke extract is said to be odourless, AND tasteless, and it acts within forty-five minutes of contact..."

"Don't Ah know it," Applejack sighed. "And we don't know which one it is, so as y'all can see, that leaves us in a bit of a bind. We'd be putting out that cider and some of the guests could end up with all sorts'a awful headaches."

"Geez, who would even do something like that?" Starlight wondered.

"Dunno. Some joker who's trying to shoehorn in a mystery to solve for attention at the most dramatic or convenient moment. Or a friendship lesson in the makin'. We get those. A lot."

"How many barrels of cider DO you have?" Twilight asked.

"Two thousand."

"Two thou-" Both Twilight and Starlight's eyes boggled at the thought. "Okay, you don't have that many working there and Sweet Apple Acres isn't THAT big! How did you even-?"

"Family from all over had leftovers they didn't shift," Applejack replied. "So they figured Ah should have 'em. We know how much Ponyville loves the stuff. Especially Rainbow, Ah swear she'd replace all the water for clouds with cider if anypony let her."

Twilight was dumbfounded. "So...you have two thousand kegs of cider, one of which was laced with Poison joke extract, and you don't know which one. That's the gist of it." She shook her head. "Well, you can't risk the customers waking up with a horrible condition, I'm pretty sure Zecora can't supply cures for THAT many ponies. You'll just have to dispose of it as waste."

"Twi, Ah can't just throw out ALL the cider we have!" protested Applejack. "Do ya realise how much of a loss we'd make? We'd struggle to get back on our hooves in time for next year!"

"Well, what else is there!?" Twilight shot back. "You can't just serve all this knowing it's tainted!"

"Or..." Starlight mused out loud, "...we just get some guinea pigs to test each batch before you open for Cider Season."

Twilight and Applejack both glared at Starlight. Twilight was eyeing up the unicorn with a look that would surely have reduced her to a fine, burnable, explosive power if looks could rob lives. Applejack's glare was less intense, which Starlight attributed to the thought of less of a financial burn in the pocket, but it was still as angry as a business-pony could manage while still seeming sincere.

Starlight threw up her hooves. "It'll be for the greater good!"

"Starlight, that is utterly horrible!" Twilight shrieked.

"More horrible than Sweet Apple Acres taking a massive financial hit and leaving all those unhappy patrons high and dry?" Starlight replied, raising an eyebrow. "And yes, the 'high and dry' bit was intentional, thanks."

"You're still proposing throwing victims to the timberwolves!"

"Yeah, but at least they'd KNOW about it," pointed out Starlight. "And we'll compensate them afterwards!"

"Who's this 'we'?"

"Well by that, I mean you two, since, you know, you have money. Well, so do I, but I don't exactly have a JOB job..."

"Starlight..." growled Twilight.

"Not that it ain't sort of a kick to the teeth to these ponies," said Applejack with a great degree of skepticism, "but who are you gonna get to go through all two thousand barrels AND have their dignity robbed until Zecora can patch 'em up?"

"Not that many, if I've got this right," smirked Starlight. "Sit tight, I'll be back!" And she promptly galloped away.

"Should Ah be worried?" Applejack asked Twilight, as they watched Starlight melt into the distance.

"Probably," was the nervous reply.

"And how many ponies are we goin' to have to apologise to by tomorrow? She DOES intend to keep the casualties as low as possible, right?"

"Hopefully," Twilight sighed.

Author's Note:

Hey guys. So what can I say, I found myself in the mood for puzzles one day and my fevered brain came up with this.

So here it is. The first puzzle. For those of you who need to keep track of the clues (or just didn't read it, cheers BTW), here's what you work with:

1. 2000 barrels of Sweet Apple Acres Cider.

2. One of the bottle is poisoned with Poison Joke.

3. Poison Joke acts within 45 minutes of contact.

4. You have 1 hour to find the poisoned barrel.

PUZZLE: What is the lowest number of pony guinea-pigs Twilight, Starlight and Applejack need to find the poisoned barrel within the time limit?

Chapters Next