• Published 19th Sep 2018
  • 1,217 Views, 385 Comments

Life is a Test: A Series of Pony Logic Puzzles - Brony_of_Brody



The Mane 6 and Friends face a perplexing pile of pony puzzles. Probably.

  • ...
1
 385
 1,217

PreviousChapters Next
A Game That's HARDER The Smarter You Are

Applejack was greeted by a rather peculiar sight. There was Fluttershy, who was shaking a small plastic cup in her hoof, which was creating some sort of rattling sound inside. Next to her was a rather handsome swan, who appeared to be fascinated by the devices in Fluttershy's hooves.

The farmpony had only swung round to Fluttershy's cottage to deliver a large carton of cow guano to help Fluttershy with her own small-scale farm to feed her animal critters, and she was just about to leave the package at her doorstep when she spotted Fluttershy right outside the door, rattling this small plastic drinking apparatus.

Finally, Fluttershy tipped the cup and five small brown cubes Applejack could see were six-sided die tumbled from the cup, finally landing onto the stone floor.

"Eight," Fluttershy said simply, after inspecting the die for about three seconds. The swan then waddled over to the die, and stared at them in polite puzzlement.

"Uh, Fluttershy? What y'all doin'?"

"Oh, hello, Applejack!" Fluttershy looked up from the floor, and upon seeing Applejack, her face broke into a smile. "I'm playing a game with Swansong. I was playing it with Angel earlier, but he kept losing and...um, well, he threw the dice to the floor in a huff and hopped away."

"Not that easy to win, huh?" Applejack chuckled.

"Oh, only if you're unlucky," Fluttershy gave a small smile. "Honestly, it was his idea to begin with, so he's got no right to be upset. I'll have to have a talk with him later."

"Mind if Ah try?" Applejack set the bag down and trotted over to the cup and die lying in a pile.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to encourage GAMBLING," Fluttershy shook her head. "So I've mostly been trying to make this into a different game. A game where you win by figuring out its rules."

She turned to the waterfowl, who was continuing to nudge the die with her beak. "Swansong here hasn't figured out how it works yet."

"HONK?"

"No, it's it doesn't follow those rules, but good try," Fluttershy said encouragingly. The swan looked somewhat despondent.

Applejack's face twisted into a rather confused look, partially because of how Fluttershy could have interpreted Swansong's intentions exactly with a single honk, but also at the premise of the game itself. "Ah'm sorry? You win by figurin' out how to play?"

"More or less." Fluttershy loaded the die back into the cup, and covering the top with her hoof, she started shaking it. "I roll five die, and then depending on how they're rolled, I announce a number. All you need to do, Applejack, is figure out how I announce them."

As soon as she said that, she spilled the rattling die onto the floor, and they fell into a 2, a 6, then 2, then 1, and finally 4.

"Zero."

"That's zero?" Applejack stared in amazement.

"Yes. Angel kept getting rolls like this when he was playing against me. That's why he got so upset."

Fluttershy put the die back into the cup, shook it again, and spilled the die on the floor once again. This time, she rolled 4, 3, 2, 1, and 3.

"Four."

"Wow, this game doesn't sound like it makes a lick o' sense." Applejack shook her head. "What was Angel playin' it with you for anyway?"

"Oh, I told him he couldn't have any more cherries on his dessert, but he wouldn't take it lying down, so he challenged me to this game of die." A regretful look crossed Fluttershy face. "Well, I rolled higher, so it's only fair. He'll just have to live with it."

She loaded the die back into the cup, rolled again, and this time, the die resulted in 3, 5, 6, 5, and 5.

"Fourteen." She looked up at Applejack. "Now at this point, I let you roll, and you need to figure out the result of your roll based on how I did it."

"What?" The farm-pony looked somewhat bewildered. "Sorry Flutters, but it just sounded like y'all just said whatever number popped into your head."

"Oh, no. I said before I follow a set of rules," Fluttershy placed the cubes into the cup, and pushed them towards Applejack. "Go on...um, if that's alright with you..."

Skeptical, Applejack shook the cup as Fluttershy had done three times before, and watched as the die landed on the floor, resulting in 6, 5, 3, 2, and 2.

"So, based on my last three rolls, what's the result of this one?" Fluttershy asked expectantly. She then gave a soft laugh. "Oh my, puzzles really are quite fun. Pinkie was right."

Author's Note:

1. A game is played in which five standard six-sided die are rolled.

2. All Fluttershy will tell you after the five die are rolled is the answer.

3. The die rolls, and the assigned answers are as follows:

  • 2, 6, 2, 1, 4. The answer is zero.
  • 4, 3, 2, 1, 3. The answer is four.
  • 3, 5, 6, 5, 5. The answer is fourteen.

PUZZLE: What's the answer when you roll 6, 5, 3, 2, 2?

PreviousChapters Next