• Published 11th Apr 2018
  • 30,675 Views, 21,326 Comments

If Wishes were Ponies . . . . - tkepner



Harry Potter, after a beating by Dudley and friends — with the help of a real gang member — wishes he had somewhere safe to go, and starts crawling home. He ends up in Equestria. The CMC find him. A year later, an owl brings his Hogwarts’ letter!

  • ...
123
 21,326
 30,675

PreviousChapters Next
28 — Clowning Around

Author's Note:

400 LIKES! YEAH! (July 20, 2018)

Here's a chapter to celebrate!!

Now for 500!


Rarity looked back at Truckle, the shopkeeper. “Thank you for that information.” She looked at the others and said, “We’ll take seventeen of the deluxe trunks with extra-large baths, and five of the Hogwarts’ trunks for our students, if you please.”

Truckle choked a second, coughed, and then said, “Seventeen of the Deluxe trunks and five of the standard Hogwarts’ trunks, did I hear that right?”

She nodded, adding, “I assume there is a bulk discount rate?”

He stared at her calm expression, then cleared his throat. “Would you like to tour a sample deluxe trunk so you can tell me the room sizes you want?” He waved his wand and a quill and book floated over from the counter. A second wave and a trunk behind the counter lifted up and floated over to him. “Just step inside and the elevator will take you straight down,” he continued, opening the trunk and doing just that.

They peered over the edge into the trunk and could see him at least twelve feet below them.

He stepped off the marked rectangle on the floor below, and abruptly the bottom of the trunk was back in place. They exchanged looks and then Twilight stepped over the edge into the trunk. Watching as she was lowered into the trunk was a bit strange.

It took a few minutes for them all to make the trip. Pinkie Pie made faces at them, and pretended to be drowning.

The elevator was tucked into a corner and had a waist-high wall that swung open when they reached the floor. The wizard was already talking to the Equestrians, as the students arrived, about the sitting-room dimensions, which was currently twenty-by-twenty feet.

“As you can see,” the sales-wizard said walking to a door on the wall across the sitting-room, to their left. “This is the door to the bedroom,” he said, leading them inside. “It’s twenty-by-twenty feet.” He pointed to a door on their right in the far corner. “That’s the closet, currently it is eight-by-eight feet.” He pointed to a second door on the same wall but closer to them. “That leads to the bathroom.”

The bathroom was twelve-by-twelve foot space, with a wall mirror above two sinks by the door on the right-side wall. The toilet had its own small six-by-six room at the far end of the room and by the sinks. The tub and shower were in opposite corners of the wall in common with the closet.

“This second door, here,” he pointed to the door between the toilet room and the sinks, “leads to the kitchen.” Which was another room that was twenty-by-twenty feet.

Harry got the impression that the undetectable expansion charm was a flat forty-by-forty feet that the shopkeeper simply sub-divided as needed with walls. Professor McGonagall was looking around intently, studying what she could detect of the spells being used. Was this the first time she had been in one of the Deluxe Apartment trunks?

With some discussion, and the fillies’ quiet insistence that the tub be big enough for them all when they got home, the bathroom and bedroom closet were the only rooms with any changes. The closet was reduced to a depth of six feet and expanded to eight feet wide. Mr. Truckle substituted what he called a ten-person hot tub option — eight-by-nine feet in size and forty-inches deep — for the regular tub and put it in the far right-hand corner. The toilet room and shower, side-by-side and both eight feet deep by seven feet wide, now occupied the formerly empty space behind the closet. Which left the two sinks on the wall shared with the kitchen, and open shelves opposite them on the closet wall for towels and bathroom sundries. The door to the kitchen separated the sinks from the hot tub. In total, the bathroom now occupied the entirety of its twenty-by-twenty-foot space, except for the closet.

Once they were all back in the shop, the wizard told them, “It’ll take me a couple of hours to process all the trunks, especially the three triple-sized trunks. The total will be,” he referred to his receipt book, “two thousand, eight hundred galleons, twelve sickles, and twenty knuts with the bulk discount rate.”

Harry frowned as he calculated. Based on what Professor McGonagall had told them yesterday, the average wizard earned about one hundred galleons a year. That meant each deluxe trunk was well over two year’s salary. Harry would bet the wizard had never sold that many apartment trunks, ever.

Twilight nodded, frowning, as she pulled out her wallet. “I hope the Goblins give us a good price on our gems.”

Rainbow Dash smirked and said, “I’m sure the fillies would be happy to give you a loan.”

“Maybe you should go with Rare and pick up a few of those big gems,” Sweetie Belle said. “The Goblins seemed to like the magic ones better.”

Twilight hummed lightly, obviously considering that plan while giving Rainbow Dash a dirty look.

Immediately after the register dinged to indicate acceptance of the payment, Mr. Granger stepped up. “We’ll take one of the standard Hogwarts trunks.”

“Oh, no, dear,” Rarity said, touching him on the arm. “That’s why we bought five standard trunks. The fifth one is for Hermione.”

“Oh, we couldn’t let you do that,” said Mrs. Granger. “You barely know us. It wouldn’t be right. The gift of the wand materials was too much as it is.”

“Nonsense,” Rarity said, waving her hand dismissively. “I wouldn’t think of not giving you a trunk when we’re buying in bulk. With the discount, the student trunks are free at that price.”

Mr. Granger looked about ready to object again when Rainbow Dash said, “You’re gonna lose that argument. It’s just the way she is. She won’t be happy until you say, ‘yes.’” Harry and the fillies were all nodding in agreement. “And, as she said, with the discount, the student trunks are basically free,” finished Dash. “So, if she’s giving you something that she got for free, how can that be expensive?”

Mr. and Mrs. Granger exchanged looks, then Mr. Granger turned to Rarity, “Thank you for your generosity. If there’s anything we can do for you, just ask.”

Rarity just smiled.

The wizard said, “Now, then, it will take me a few hours to prepare that many trunks, so if you could come back after three, everything should be ready.”

The professor watched Rarity intently as they left the store for their next stop, Eeylops Owl Emporium.

Fluttershy was mobbed the moment she walked in the door behind Rainbow Dash. The owls were polite, but it was just like her home in Equestria, the birds just had to come over and say hello. Two managed to stand on her head, with one more on each shoulder. When she lifted her arm to shoo away the creatures, three more landed on it. Dash, Rarity, Twilight, Applejack, and the Grangers were just as quickly used as stands so the birds could be close to the new friend. The one that tried to land on Pinkie’s head almost disappeared into her hair before it could take off again. The remainder were quick to notice and refrained from repeating the first one’s mistake.

Instead they used the girls and Harry as portable stands.

“Here, now! Stop that!” said a Wizard behind the shop counter, waving his hands as he marched out onto the sales-floor. “Back to your perches! You know you aren’t supposed to pester customers!”

Fluttershy was smiling broadly, “Oh, it’s alright,” she said, looking at the inquisitive birds. “They’re just saying hello.” She stroked one’s head with a finger, “Aren’t you, beautiful?” She stroked the sides of the ones resting on her arm. “But, as the pony . . . man said, back to your perches!” She lifted her arm slightly. With a soft, disappointed hoot they took off.

She quickly went to the others adorning her friends, offering a quick stroke of their feathers before urging them to leave.

“I’m soo sorry,” said the man, “I’m Eeylops, the owner, and I’ve never seen my owls do anything like this before!” He glared at the owls still decorating his new customers.

Professor McGonagall was careful to note everything that happened.

“Don’t worry about it,” Twilight said dismissively. “Things like that happen all the time to Fluttershy.”

Abruptly aware of the man’s attention, Fluttershy ducked behind Dash even as she continued to pet and shoo the owls back to their perches.

Turning his attention back to Twilight, he said, “All my owls are post trained and spelled. They’ll never get lost and can find anyone not behind an owl-ward. They’re fast and convenient, house-trained, and always come when called. Plus, they know to wait for dark before delivering to muggle neighbourhoods so they don’t attract attention.

“And as most of my customers say, ‘They’re dead useful, they are!’”

Harry and the fillies nodded. They remembered Professor McGonagall talking about the owls. “Most wizards and witches use owls for communication,” she had explained the night she had first met them at Magnolia Road. “They’re fast and reliable. And with shrinking charms they can carry quite large items. All are intelligent enough to understand if you live in a Muggle area, and, as a result, will only pickup or deliver mail when they won’t be easily observed, typically just before sunrise or after sunset under the cover of darkness. The muggles would think it quite strange if you had owls showing up at home at all hours of the day, after all.”

“I have the finest owl feed and treats on the market and offer a wide range of perches, as you can see.” The shopkeeper waved his arm across the shop, where hundreds of perches were on display or in boxes. The displays all had one or two owls on them.

“If you have any questions,” he concluded, “please feel free to ask. Either I or my assistants will be happy to help you.”

Pinkie was already at the back of the shop and appeared to be sharing slices of apples with the owls. The shopkeeper gave her a puzzled look.

“I have a question, sir,” Harry said. “Why don’t you just spell the owls to look like pigeons or swallows to non-magicals? Wouldn’t that solve the problem of them being seen as unusual during the day? And allow for more efficient delivery of mail?”

The man stared at him for several moments, blinking. “Spell the owls to look like swallows?” he said, more to himself than anyone else. He frowned and put his hand on his chin. “No, a spell would wear off after a time.” His eyes opened a bit wider. “But if I used ambient-powered runes on a metal leg band . . . .” He shook his head and looked back at Harry. “Why that’s a wonderful idea, my lad! I think I’ll look into it!” He turned and hurried off to his counter, mumbling, “Now, who do I know who’s good at rune work . . . and cheap.”

Harry shook his head. He couldn’t understand how such a simple idea had eluded wizards for so long. Didn’t they have any common sense? And they thought they were superior to him.

Harry didn’t have to look very far for an owl. Instead, he was captivated by the beautiful white owl that had taken residence on his shoulder as soon as he looked at it. “Hello, girl,” he said, only to receive a sharp nip on his ear and disgusted “hoot!”

“Ow!” He rubbed his ear giving the owl a cautious look. “So you’re a boy?”

The owl said, “Hoot!” followed by a satisfied look.

“And you want to be my owl?”

“Hoot!”

Harry had to smile. For the first time, ever, someone wanted to be his friend without ever having met him, or even hearing of him, before now. “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship,” he said, rubbing his finger down the bird’s soft breast feathers.

The owl rubbed his head against Harry’s.

Apple Bloom said, “Well, it looks like you’ve picked out an owl.” She looked at the other three girls. “I think it’s our turn now.” They all nodded and split up.

Scootaloo returned with an owl that looked like it had horns, but Harry knew from Miss Cheerilee’s lessons that it was a Great Horned Owl. It had a dark grey and dark brown colouring with areas of white scattered all over.

Sweetie Belle had an owl that was brown with white spots and black eyes, and its hoots were melancholy short things that sounded almost like a laugh, as if it came from a dog. “It’s a Laughing Owl, according to the tag on its perch,” she said.

Apple Bloom’s owl was an overall ochre-reddish colour, with fine dark spots growing larger towards the tail and on the wings. Its face disc was white, with a brownish tinge between the lower edge of the eyes and the base of the light grey bill, with the whole surrounded by brown. “Accordin’ to mah owl’s perch, he’s a Madagascar Red Owl. Right, Maddy?” The owl responded with a short hissing noise that seemed to be approving.

Before they left the shop’s counter, however, Harry motioned the girls together with their owls. He held his arm out, with his as-yet unnamed owl on it and said, “Okay, you guys can find your way to Sweet Apple Acres, right?” He looked at each of the other owls. They each nodded, with his Snowy White giving him a look of “Well, of course I can, you fool.”

He turned to the clerk. “Could you shrink each of our owl’s things and show us how to attach them properly, and we’ll let them meet us at Apple Bloom’s home.”

“Nothing easier,” said the clerk. “Beats carrying all that stuff through the Alley!”

A short lesson later and the owls were winging their way out of the shop.

As soon as they were out of sight, Harry said, “Maybe we should have given them our other packages as well. . . .” The fillies all shook their heads. “Neigh,” said Sweetie Belle, “We need a wand to undo the shrink charms and nopony at Sweet Apple Acres has one.”

“Ah. You’re right.”

Professor McGonagall addressed them all as they exited the shop, “Our next stop is the Apothecary for potion supplies. It’s down this way.” She pointed and started off in that direction.

As they were passing a shop, Twilight stopped and grabbed Harry by the arm. “One moment, Professor McGonagall!” The witch stopped, as did everyone else. “Harry needs new glasses and here’s an optometrist.” She pointed at a small sign above a door sandwiched between two shops. “We’ll meet at the Apothecary.” She turned and handed her wallet to Applejack. “AJ, will you take care of this?” The transformed pony took the wallet, “Shore thang,” she replied.

Twilight guided Harry to the door and up the carpeted stairs. There was no door at the top, the stairs emptied into a reception room with two walls filled with eyeglass frames. There were two doors in the third wall, one open and revealing a simple room with a chair and desk. The other was likely a restroom.

By the windows that looked out onto the Alley was a desk. A wizard, his feet on the desk and a magazine in his hands sat in a padded reclining chair behind the desk. A notepad and quill rested on the desktop. He must have been concentrating as he only noticed them as they stepped into his office. He sat up, hurriedly shoving the magazine — its cover featured a scantily clad witch, Harry saw — into a desk drawer, and then stood. “Good morning! How can I help you this morning?”

He was of average height, with black hair and brown eyes. He wore a smock over his robes, which were regular business robes. They exchanged introductions.

Twilight smiled at him. “Harry, here,” she put her hand on his shoulder, “needs new glasses. His are very old and broken, as you can see.

The wizard focused on Harry. “Ah, Yes. Well come into the exam room.” He pointed at the open door.

As Harry walked in, the wizard said, “Just sit in the chair. May I see your glasses?”

Harry handed them over.

“Humph. Yes. Definitely need replacing.” He handed them back. “Now, please sit in the chair and look at that chart on the wall. . . .”

The next few minutes passed quickly as the wizard cast a spell, read the results, made some notes on a paper, and started handing Harry a series of eyeglasses and asking questions. Finally, he said, “That’s it then. Let’s go back to the office.”

“As I’m sure you know, Miss Sparkle, Harry here is very near-sighted with some astigmatism. It appears to have been exacerbated by a blow to his head several years back. I’m surprised the healers at St Mungo’s Hospital missed that. They should have cleared this right up.” He eyed Twilight uncertainly. “You did take him there, didn’t you? The blow would have knocked him out completely.”

Twilight smiled sadly. “He wasn’t in my care at the time, or I certainly would have had him properly cared for.”

He nodded, relieved. “He still might have had a touch of near-sightedness, but nothing as severe as it is.” He turned to Harry.

“Now, then, Harry, take a look at these frames and pick whichever one you want to wear.” He pointed to the two walls. “This wall has frames that the witches seem to like.” He indicated the nearer wall

Harry took his time and after a few minutes, and a couple of trips to the mirror, he settled on a black full-frame round pair.

“An excellent choice, Harry.” The wizard took the frames and fitted them on Harry’s face. He pulled out his wand and touched the frames. Harry could feel them change. “There now, they fit perfectly. Now, all my frames come with Forever Prescription, a rune charm that will make the prescription match your eyes no matter how much they change as you grow up. What other charms would you like added?”

Harry exchanged glances with Twilight. “Uh, well, what’s available?”

“Oh, well, for example, if you’re into Quidditch, there’s an impervious runes charm to protect your eyeglasses from breakage. And one to keep your glasses dry, clear, and warm no matter the weather. There’s another to let you see in the dark. And a matching one that makes them darken in bright sunlight so you’ll never need sunglasses.

“One rune charm that almost all wizards and witches choose is a comfort charm so that they are comfortable no matter what position you are in, even asleep. And there are many others that wizards find useful.” He smiled at them.

Harry looked back at Twilight as she looked at him. They both shrugged.

“Everything, I guess,” Harry said.

“Everything?” said the optometrist, clearly taken aback. “That’s quite expensive, almost two hundred galleons. Are you sure?” He looked questioningly at Twilight.

“Sure, why not?” she said.

The wizard pursed his lips. “It’ll take me a while to put the runes on the frames, you won’t be able to take them with you right now,” he said slowly.

They both nodded. “That’s okay,” Twilight said, “He’s lived with these glasses for years, a few more days won’t hurt.”

He sat down behind his desk, pulled out his notes, and started making additions. He opened a drawer, took out a small pamphlet and a receipt book, and started making entries in the receipt book while referring to the pamphlet. After a few minutes he looked up. “All twenty rune charms brings the total to one hundred and ninety-six galleons, ten sickles and five knuts.” He sighed. “I can have these owled to your home tomorrow.” He handed Harry the pamphlet he had been copying from. “Here’s the complete list of what the runes do.”

Twilight looked at Harry, “Use your wallet, I’ll pay you back when we get home.” Harry stuffed the pamphlet in his rucksack. Two minutes later, they were downstairs and hurrying to catch up with their friends.

Through the crowded street as they approached Slug & Jiggers Apothecary, they saw Professor McGonagall bending over a large silver bird. The crowd obscured her for a moment, then she was standing upright and there were no signs of a bird of any kind. Harry hadn’t seen a bird flying off. He wondered if he had imagined seeing the bird.

“Hi,” called the three girls as they came out the door. “Thought ya were gettin’ new glasses?” Apple Bloom said.

Harry grinned, “They’ll be ready tomorrow, the doctor said he’d owl them to me.” And he excitedly explained how his new eyeglasses would be unbreakable, always comfortable, never fall off and lots of other things, too. They didn’t understand his enthusiasm, but that was okay. If it made Harry happy, then they were happy for him.

“Rarity insisted we get the deluxe potions kits and crystal vials,” said Sweetie Belle. “That way we won’t have to buy better equipment later because the standard stuff wears out or breaks.” Harry nodded. He had expected that after the trunk shop.

The cauldron shop was a quick visit and they left with the pewter cauldron required by the letters — except Rarity insisted they get the extra-heavy-duty version. She reasoned that the regular ones were designed to barely meet the minimum requirements and thus would need replacing at some point in their education.

The telescope shop left Harry puzzled. While the telescopes here were beautifully-worked pieces of art, he knew that the muggles had ones that were far better than the ones on display here.

“Twilight?” he said, staring at a brass telescope that must have weighed twenty pounds and was longer than he was tall.

“Yes?”

“I think we should wait on getting telescopes. I think we can find a better ones in London.”

She looked at him questioningly.

“Well, I remember that Dudley used to have a telescope, not a long one that you looked through one end and out the other like these, but what was called a reflecting telescope. It was half the length but double the width of these things.” He gestured at the rack of telescopes. “It had double or triple the resolution of these, and a motor that kept it on target.

“And that was over two years ago.”

Twilight nodded. “Yes, that might be better.” Then she nodded again, firmly. “Yes, let’s do that. We can always come back here if we can’t find what we want.”

With that decision, the group left the store with only Hermione getting a telescope, somewhat bewildering Professor McGonagall. Once outside, the professor said, “Well, that seems to be everything. And considering the time, why don’t we adjourn to the Leaky Cauldron for lunch?”

As they filed into the pub from the Alley, Professor McGonagall said, “It’s fortunate that we finished before the lunchtime crowd arrived. I’ll see where Tom wants us.” She headed over to the barkeep as the rest of the group bunched up in the dining room, waiting. Moments later, Tom came out from behind the bar and led them over to large table.

“Not quite big enough, eh?” he said looking at their group and the table. He pulled out his wand and concentrated, pointing it at the table. He wiggled the wand and said something, and the table grew longer until it was more than big enough to seat them all. Then he tapped his wand on one of the chairs and made several duplicates, enough to fit the newly-enlarged table.

“There now,” he said wiping his forehead with one hand as he put away his wand. “That should last about an hour or two for yeh.”

“Nicely done!” Professor McGonagall said approvingly. “You’ve improved quite a bit since I first started coming here!”

Tom blushed. “I’ve had quite a bit o’ practice on those two,” he mumbled bashfully.

The Equestrians were, frankly, staring at the man, or at least at his bald head. They had never before seen anyone who was bald. Well, they had seen him earlier that morning, but it had been more than a little chaotic so they hadn’t had the time to really look at him.

Pinkie Pie especially seemed captivated. She hopped over to him. “It’s so shiny!” she said. “Were you born this way or did it all fall out later? Do you wish you had hair? Would you like hair? I wonder what I would look like bald? I don’t think I would like to be bald, I’d have to keep my party cannon in my tail. Is . . . .” Whatever else she might have said was lost, fortunately, as Twilight slapped her hand over Pinkie’s mouth.

“I’m terribly sorry,” she said to the bartender, “Sometimes she doesn’t know when to stop. She has no control over her mouth. Please forgive her.”

Having hands now, Pinkie reached up and pulled down Twilight’s hand with one. “Ooops. Sorry,” she said to Tom. “Here,” she said, plopping a bright orange wig down on his head. “No, that’s not right!” She shoved a round red ball over his nose. “Better, but not quite.” She held up a giant round pad as big as her head out and hit the poor wizard upside the head with it. A puff of white surrounded him for a moment, then disappeared leaving him a white face with exaggerated black eyebrows and red mouth.

“Perfect,” she declared, stepping back. Twilight and the rest of the Equestrians watched with expressions ranging from horror (Twilight) to amusement (Rainbow Dash) to puzzled (practically everypony else in the pub).

There was a stunned silence for a moment, then the rest of the pub burst out laughing.

“Great new look, there, Tom!”

“That’s hilarious!”

“Love your hair!”

“Pinkie!” Twilight said severely, “Enough of that.”

“Have a cupcake, too,” Pinkie concluded shoving one into his hand.

۸- ̰ -۸

PreviousChapters Next