• Published 19th Feb 2018
  • 301 Views, 0 Comments

One Little Trip Through the Everfree - Crimsee



A pony travels through the Everfree in attempt to find Zecora.

  • ...
 0
 301

Was It Really Worth It?

I opened my eyes, hearing the sound of my own breathing. I suddenly remembered the events of last night and instantly got up. I looked around the hut and noticed some important details. It was now daylight. And the mare who drugged me sat in a chair while she looked at me.

“Good morning,” she said. “I am sorry that I couldn’t have given you a proper warning.”

I blinked and shook my head, then asked, “Wha- Why did you do that?”

She sighed. “That creature only attacks those who don’t sleep. If you were conscious, the price you would pay wouldn’t be cheap.”

The price I would pay wouldn’t be cheap? What? Does she mean… If I stayed awake, then that thing would’ve killed me? Why kind of a creature kills ponies who don’t sleep?

“It even got inside,” she said, snapping me back into reality. “It left evidence that it couldn’t hide.”

“Evidence?” I turned around and looked at the door. That rusty slide bolt lock. The part that was attached to the wall now laid on the wooden floor. That thing broke in, but that zebra and I were still here, breathing…

“Do you mind if I ask a question?” I turned to her. “Though I must warn you, my voice might be filled with aggression.”

“Aggression?” I thought out loud. “Why would you sound aggressive?”

“Well, maybe it’s because I have to ask you why you were running around in the Everfree Forest at three?! This is really confusing me.” Her voice was indeed filled with aggression and I really don’t blame her; running around in the Everfree at two or three really is a stupid thing to do.

“Uh, well, I was looking for you.” I scratched the back of my head, unable to look her in the eyes.

“Oh? Okay. But why not during the day?” She questioned, then added, “The Everfree is much safer when the sun is out. You would have had a much safer route.”

“Eh, um…” I began to sweat. Then I sighed and looked at her. “Look- deciding to come here wasn’t an easy choice! My magic doesn’t work. That’s why I came here. And I’m really ashamed of it. I didn’t want to be seen in broad daylight, and for ponies to recognize me as that helpless unicorn who can’t take care of himself. I didn’t want ponies to try to escort me, either.”

I turned around because I couldn’t look at her for the next thing I had to say.

“I know it was a stupid thing to do. But I’m tired of other ponies treating me like a child, or… Or like a helpless crippled.”

I heard the sound of hoofbeats approach me from behind. So I turned around and looked at the zebra.

“Thank you for being honest,” she said with a weak smile. Then she frowned. “But I am afraid to tell you that getting your magic back is not something that I can promise.”

I frowned and closed my eyes. “I was afraid of that.” I sighed. “I heard something about a potion. A potion that can give a pony magical power.” I turned to the door and began to trot. “It was my fault for getting my hopes up.”

She didn’t say anything, but I felt her gaze hitting the back of my head.

“Thank you for your time, miss,” I said as I looked back at her.

She then said, “I said I couldn’t make a promise, but a potion like that isn’t forbidden by the goddess.”

“What?” I asked, then slowly turned around. “Then what’s the problem?”

My heart began beating faster with hope.

“There is a rare plant that grows in the zebra land, at the parts with the most sand,” she said.

I blinked and gave a weak smile. “Thanks, miss. I must go now.” She waved at me as I went out of the hut.

I went back to Ponyville. The walk there was much more peaceful than last night. I even saw peaceful creatures, such as ducks and rabbits. Some followed me. Probably because they wanted to get out of the forest. I don’t blame them, really.

It was nice to see the town of Ponyville with the sun shining on it. I can’t believe my magic is worth more than the sight of the sun, to me. Should I really be this self-conscious about how ponies treat me because I don’t have magical abilities like other unicorns?

I laid on the grass and looked up at the clouds.

The zebra land. Am I really going to go there? Do I even have enough money?

Looking at the clouds helped me think.

Maybe I should just enjoy life while I have it.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment