• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 1,825 Views, 9 Comments

The New Life - Going The Distance



When Chris's life takes a turn for the worst, he flees from his town and starts to rebuild it.

  • ...
4
 9
 1,825

11: Popping the question


Big Macintosh looked over the fields that stood before him. He just finished harvesting the rest of the apples in the orchard. He lent back on a tree, letting out a small relieved sigh. It was late afternoon and the sun was begining to set in the west. He chewed on his wheatstem as he watched Applejack in the distance rounding up the sheep. He watched her give whistles and commands to Winona as the dog expertly rounded up the sheep. After the quick break, He hopped onto the tractor and drove to the house.
Meanwhile, Chris was busy storing the crates of apples in the cellar, underneath the barn. Big Macintosh pulled up just as Chris emerged out of the cellar. Big Macintosh gave him a brief wave as he passed him.
"Is that the rest then?" Chris asked as Big Macintosh approached him.
"Eeyup, big yield this year." He chucked his wheat-stem away before continuing. "You finished here?"
"Almost...Just a few more crates" Chris said before stretching a little.
"Okay, I'll be sitting on the porch when you're finished."
After Chris finished storing the rest of the apples, he shut the cellar door and walked over to Big Macintosh. He found him sitting on the wooden steps of the porch having some fresh apple juice. He passed Chris a bottle as he sat down next to him.
"Feeling better?" Asked Big Macintosh.
Chris nodded as he took a sip. "I am now...". He blew out a a sigh. "Man...that party gave my liver a kicking"
"Not to mention losing half your stomach lining..." Added Big Macintosh.
Chris smiled at the comment. It has been a few days since the party and Chris has only just recovered from it. He then let out a big yawn.
"Tired?" asked Big Macintosh.
"Yeah..." Chris said as he rubbed his eyes. "I haven't been sleeping too good lately..."
"How come?"
Chris didn't know why. When he slept, it felt like his mind was trying to make him remember something. Something important...
"I'm not sure...Just been abit rough, that's all."
Big Macintosh nodded his head.
The two of them where about to speak again when they heard something in the distance. A low roar was heard. The two gave each other confused looks before they started to look around, wondering the hell it was. The roar slowly got louder and louder.
"What the heck is..."
Before Chris could finish what he was saying, A low flying Jet flew over them. The noise of the engines was incredible, drowning every other noise around them. The two of them ducked as the jet shot over them. They watched it quickly disappear in the distance, becoming nothing but a speck within a matter of seconds.
"Rainbow dash..." they both said in perfect synchronization.
"That's the third time this month. She'll probably be doing tricks soon..." Big Macintosh moaned.
"Wouldn't surprise me if she did." said Chris.
"She will be now. Haven't you heard?"
Chris wasn't sure what he was on about. "Heard what?"
"She's got a new boyfriend. And I've heard he's part of the Wonderblots".
Chris rolled his eyes. "Is that why she's been really happy lately?"
"Eeyup"
Chris snorted. "She has really landed on her feet this time..."
After talking abit more, Chris decided he wanted to go for a walk. He took a small path that led him up on one of the hills. He felt quite tired after reaching the top so he down against a lone tree. The view here was exceptionally good. Chris could see Ponyville below him in the distance ,and even through the low hazy clouds, he got a glimpse of Canterlot between the rocky mountains that guarded it. As he admired the view, Chris felt more and more tired. His eyelids started to feel heavy. Slowly, Chris started to fall asleep...
*
"Chrisss..." hissed a voice.
That voice...
"Chriiss..."
Chris felt his eyes search, but there was nothing but darkness. It felt like he was in a room. A familiar one...
"Who's there?...". His voice echoed in the darkness.
"Chrissss....". The voice hissed again. It was a female's voice. Yet Chris found it very familiar. As if he knew that voice...
"Don't think you've gotten away that easily! ..." she hissed harshly.
Chris tried to swallowed. His mouth felt dry; His throat was tight.
"Gotten away from what? Who are you?" he shouted out into the darkness. Fear and confusion hinted in his voice
Then, from the corner of this black room, a pair of Red eyes appeared. The eyes stared at him, filled with hate and anger.
Chris looked at the eyes. He almost stopped breathing.
"What the?..." he gasped.
"This isn't over yet..." she warned.
That was the last thing he saw...
*
Chris's eyes shot open. He felt his heart jump as he let out a gasp. It took him a few seconds to realise he was outside. Chris looked at the ground, slightly shaken.
"What the hell?!" he croaked. Thoughts raced through his mind. What was all that about? That voice...I swear know that voice...But who is it?
And those eyes. Those, angry...Red eyes glaring at me...
Chris stood up, brushing himself down briefly as he did. He looked towards the horizon. It was getting dark. Chris couldn't see the sun behind the clouds that covered it as it set in the mountains. Only a faint, hazy orange dot was visible.
"Jeez...What's going on in there?" Chris groaned. He hasn't had anything like that in a while...
Chris decided to head back to the house before it gets dark. As he walked past one of the sheep pens, he saw Applejack come out of one. When she saw him, she smiled at him.
"Hey Chris, where have ya been?"
At first Chris didn't realise Applejack was speaking to him. He then realised and quickly tried to come up with an answer.
"Hey AJ. I er...Went for a walk then nodded off..." He explained, gesturing to the tree on the hill.
"Someone sounds a little tired. Has Big Macintosh been keeping you up with his snoring?" she joked.
Chris laughed awkwardly a little. He didn't really want to tell Applejack the real reason.
He quickly changed the subject. "Are you heading back to the house?"
"Yeah, are you?"
Chris nodded. They then started to walk back together. As they walked, Chris noticed Applejack was walking quite close to him. Ever since their moment after the party, Chris felt that he...wanted to be more than friends. And by the looks of it, so did AJ. Chris tried to pop the question a few times. But his shy side got the better of him and he chickened out.
There was abit of an silence as they walked. So Chris decided to make small talk.
"You get a good view up there" Chris said.
AJ nodded in agreement. "On a clear day, You can see alot in the distance. Twilight has been up that hill a couple of times to observe stars and planets..."
AJ then talked about the time she went with Twilight to stargaze. As she spoke, Chris questioned himself whether he should...ask Applejack out.
'Come on mate, it's now or never'
'But what is she says no? would it be awkward between us if she did?'
'Why would she say no?! She's obviously likes you!'
'Butwhat would the others think? Will Big Macintosh mind....'
"Chris..."
Chris snapped out of his mental argument. "Y..Yes AJ?"
"Where here..."
Chris suddenly realised they were at the house. "Oh...must've zoned out for a moment"
Applejack giggled. "You really need to get some sleep!". Chris laughed a little too.
They then looked at each other. Applejack's Emerald green eyes gazed at him.
'For christ sake, just ask her! Grow some balls and do it...'
"Er, Applejack?"
"Yes Chris?". She stepped a little closer to him. Chris swallowed nervously.
"I..I've been thinking. I w..was wondering if... we could become could be more than friends..."
Applejack continued looking at him. Chris braced himself for the final part. His heart raced...
"Would you like to go out with me?".
At first, Applejack continued looking at him. Then, a huge smile grew on her face.
Just as Chris was about to speak, Applejack then lent forward and kissed him softly. Chris's heart exploded: He was expecting a worded answer, not this.
Applejack then withdrew from the kiss. Chris opened his eyes and looked at Applejack. A smiled at her.
"So is that a yes?"
Applejack blushed a little, letting off a small giggle. She awkwardly looked at the floor before looking back at Chris. "I think so..."
"Applejack!" called a young voice
She looked at the door before turning back to Chris. "That's Applebloom, she probably need help with something"
She then started walking back to the house. Before she walked in, she turned to Chris and smiled at him.
Chris stood there for a few more moments. When he felt now one was looking, he punched the air in victory.
"Told you so..." he said to himself.

--------
Sorry for the long wait. Been busy at work and went on holiday for a week.
Hope you enjoy the chapter.

Comments ( 3 )

Please continue this story.

Are you still working on this I love this story! :fluttershysad: :pinkiehappy:

I love this story, please continue with it!

Login or register to comment