• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 1,826 Views, 9 Comments

The New Life - Going The Distance



When Chris's life takes a turn for the worst, he flees from his town and starts to rebuild it.

  • ...
4
 9
 1,826

8: An invitation

8.

It was a hot summer's afternoon on the farm. On the orchard, the apples were ripe and ready to harvest. Chris and Big Macintosh sat on a wooden single railed fence that surrounded the whole orchard, looking over the green hills whilst Applejack spoke to Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.

The girls looked over at the two working men. They casually chatted to each other, giving off the occasional laugh. Chris smoked whilst Big Macintosh chewed on his trademark wheat stem. Rainbow spoke to Applejack.

"How's he doin'?" she asked. RD wore her short grey skirt and sky blue coloured vest.

Applejack looked at her friend. "Chris has settled down really well. Him and Big Macintosh make a great team on the farm.". She took off her brown Stetsons hat and wiped the beads of sweat off her forehead. She wore her orange T-shirt and short denim skirt . They've been busy picking the ripe apples around the orchard.

"That's good to hear...". Rainbow dash look back at the two men. They both laughed whilst Big Macintosh gave Chris a playful punch on the arm.

"When I first heard about him I thought he wouldn't last long. But he's pulled through pretty well" Admired Rainbow dash. AJ agreed. Then, Pinkie giggled a little. They looked at their curly haired friend.

"Look at them two...they're almost like brothers" she smiled whilst she adjusted her pink vest. The three of them giggled.

"Aww...Big Macintosh has got his own bwother..." teased Rainbow Dash.

"Ah, give him a break Rainbow Dash. He's been more cheerful since Chris came along"

"Probably because he's been surrounded by girls all the time!". The three girls laughed out loud. Chris and Big Macintosh turned around to see what's with the laughing. The girls looked back.

"Come on you two, the apples ain't gonna load themselves!" called Applejack.

"Alright, give us a sec!" Chris called back. He threw his butt and both of them slid off the fence. They walked over to the wooden crates of apples, ready to be loaded in the back of the pick up truck. Chris noticed how wet his red polo shirt was from his sweat so he decided to take it off. He lifted a crate of apple and walked over the truck. As he went past the girls, one of them playfully whistled at his physique. He looked around to see who it was.

"Nice abs you got there!" teased Rainbow Dash as she picked a couple of apples. The others giggled at the comment.

"C'mon RD, let Chris get on with his work..." Applejack giggled, giving Chris a cheeky wink. Chris walked away, feeling slightly flattered. He walked over to the truck and passed the crate to Big Macintosh, who was loading them on the truck. Chris spoke to him.

"Does she do that all the time..."

"Eeyup. That's why I don't bother taking my shirt off around them." explained Big Macintosh. Chris rolled his eyes.

Meanwhile, Applejack was talking to Rainbow dash. "So you've got something tell me then?" asked Applejack.

"Two things actually. First, I've just been promoted to Manager at the airfield.".

"That's great Rainbow dash! you've worked hard to get that position" congratulated Applejack.

"And guess who's going to use the airfield as their new base?"

Applejack thought for a moment, then gave up.

"The Wonderbolts!" squealed Rainbow dash. Applejack smiled at the news.

"Oh wow,you must be ecstatic!" she said happily. Chris was walking past when he over-heard their conversation.

"The Wonderbolts did you say?" he asked, putting down the heavy crate of apples.

"You better believe it. THE greatest flying squad at MY airbase!" she gloated. Chris scratched the back of his neck.

"I've heard they're the biggest bunch of pricks you'll ever meet" He said. Rainbow dash lost her smile and glared at him.

"How would you know that anyway?" she questioned.

"I had a friend who bumped into one. He said he was the most cockiest, arrogant prick he's ever met. He almost got into a punch-up with him" Chris told.

"Oh really...sounds like someone's a tad jealous" she said, directing it at Chris. Chris snorted and stared back.

"Me? Jealous? how can I be jealous when I don't even fly a jet?" he pointed out.

Rainbow dash was about speak back, but she bit her tongue back. Chris then picked up the crate and walked off, shaking his head.

"Jealous of the Wonderbolts...What a load of crap..." he mumbled to himself. Rainbow dash flicked him off with her two fingers . Pinkie gave her a little pat. "Don't worry about it too much" she reasurred her happily. RD smiled back and carried on picking the ripe apples.

*

After the girls finished picking the apples, they went back to Applejack's house while Chris a Big Macintosh popped into town for some things. They sat at the dining table drinking tea and chatting. Then Pinkie Pie remembered something.

"Ooh! I almost forgot..." she piped up. Pinkie then looked into her handbag and pulled out two tickets and gave them to Rainbow dash and Applejack. "My friend Vinyl is having a party in a couple of days...here you go". They took the tickets and looked at them.

"Not another one Pinkie! How can you have time to make all of these parties?" said Applejack.

Pinkie giggled. "I dunno...I'm that good silly"

"Man, you and Vinyl host some great parties, remember the last one? " said Rainbow dash. Applejack groaned. "You said we wasn't gonna talk about that night any more RD!" she moaned.

Rainbow laughed a little. "Well it's was your idea to have all those shots!"

"But you know my limits!"

"There's no limit with my parties!" laughed Pinkie Pie. Applejack sipped her, trying to shake off the memory.

Then, Chris walked in through the front door with Big Macintosh. He was holding a pouch of Old Holborn rolling tobacco and Big Macintosh was reading a newspaper.

"Hi boys" greeted Applejack. They said hello back. As they walked past, Pinkie held out another two tickets to them.

"Here go!" the pink haired girl offered. They both took the tickets and looked at them.

"Oh thanks Pinkie" said Chris.

"Any time" she said happily. The two men walked over to the kitchen nearby. Big Macintosh put the newspaper on the side and went in the for a drink. Chris lent on the kitchen side. He glanced at the frontpage. The headline was about the troubles in Trottingham. Chris quickly looked away, trying not to think about it. He then opened the tobacco pouch and started rolling a cigarette. Big Mac came back and gave Chris a glass of lemonade.

"So who else is going?" asked Applejack. Pinkie put her tea down.

"Well, I'm going to give Twilight, Rairity and Fluttershy a ticket"...

Big Macintosh turned around slightly when he heard Fluttershy's name.

"...Loads other people are going too...Actually I think some of the Wonderbolts are coming too!" Pinkie said Excitedly. Rainbow dash squealed when she heard this.

"This is going to be an AWSOME party!". She then looked over to Chris. "You hear that Chris? The Wonderbolts are coming too" She taunted.

"Does it look like I give a fuck?" Chris said quite rudely, looking at his roll up. Rainbow dash was about to speak when Applejack stepped in

"Hey! Cut it out you two!" she warned.

"Yeah, whatever...I'm going out for a smoke..." Chris said as he put the roll up in his mouth. He then walked outside in a huff. Applejack watched him walk out before looking back at Rainbow dash. Annoyed. She gave her a small kick.

"Ow!, what was that for?" she moaned.

Applejack gestured to Chris. "Ya had to carry on didn't you?". Rainbow dash looked inside her cup and said nothing.

"Go and apologise..."

Rainbow dash looked up up from her cup. "Oh come one..."

"Dash..." Applejack said sternly. Rainbow dash gave a huff and stubbornly got up from her seat. "Fine..."

Chris lent back against the wall having his smoke. He was feeling slightly annoyed. The afternoon had cooled slightly and the sun was slowly being covered by the forming clouds. Chris exhaled the smoke out and flicked his roll up. Rainbow dash slowly walked through the open door. Chris turned around to see who it was. Rainbow dash looked up meekly to him.

"Hey..."

Chris didn't say anything. He turned away and took a drag. She stepped closer.

"I'm...I'm sorry if I annoyed you. I suppose I did take it abit too far..." she said, rubbing her arm awkwardly. Chris looked at the rainbow haired girl. She shifted abit, slightly worried of his reaction. He slowly put out his hand.

"At least you apologised...". Rainbow dash looked at him, before shaking his hand apologetically. They stood there for a few moments before she spoke.

"So are you going to that party then?" she asked.

"Might aswell, I've got nothing better to do". The both laughed a little.

"Pinkie always throws great parties"

Chris looked at the ticket again. "It looks good. Hopefully it'll be it'll be a good crowd ". Rainbow dash smiled a little. Chris then pulled out his tobacco pouch and held it up to her. "Fancy a roll up?" he offered.

Rainbow dash shrugged a little. "Yeah, why not..."

Chris then sat down on the wooden decking and started to roll one for Rainbow dash.

As he made a rollie, Chris thought about the last week or so being here. He came as an outsider looking for help. Yet the warm community took him in with open arms and helped him out. Now he's been invited to this party, he feels he really is part of the open community. He's gone from being a complete stranger to...a friend. Chris smiled at the thought. He knows full well he's with a good crowd of people.

He finished rolling the roll up and passed it to Rainbow Dash. "Here you go..."

"Thanks" She said taking the rollie. Chris smiled and walked back in the house.