• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 1,825 Views, 9 Comments

The New Life - Going The Distance



When Chris's life takes a turn for the worst, he flees from his town and starts to rebuild it.

  • ...
4
 9
 1,825

5: A new start...

5.

Chris slumped onto the bench in the royal garden. He panted heavily, still shocked by what he saw. He looked up and scanned the royal garden. Flower beds dotted the vast stretch of pristine grass. A expertly crafted fountain stood proud in the middle, with the royal maze visible behind.The crystal clear water sparkled as the midday sun shone through it. Chris then fumbled in his pocket and pulled out his tin of Cigarillos. He turned to the guard and held them up.

"May I?" he asked. The guard nodded. Chris then took one and and put it in his mouth. He tried to light it but his hand trembled. Then, the guard leaned over and offered him a light. Chris looked at him, then lit his smoke. Chris took a long, slow drag and sat back onto the bench. He let out a sigh of realif as he blew out the smoke. He felt more relaxed and the cravings eased up. He flicked some ash off,. His head still couldn't piece together about about happened. Chris shook his head in disbelif.

Then the guard sat next to Chris. Chris looked over to him, slightly startled.

"Might aswell join you" he said as he lit a cigarette up. He blew out the smoke before speaking to him. "So...your the one that got away then?" he asked. Chris nodded as he took a drag. The guard flicked his cigarette, shaking his head. "Shame what's happening...a total fucking shame" Chris nodded in agreement. The guard looked at him.

"You were very lucky to get away, I mean that" the guard said. Chris flicked his cigarillo.

"Too lucky, got shot at, chased, nearly blew to fucking pieces..." Chris said, before coughing a little. The guard patted his back. "There there...".Chris sat forward, trying to breath some fresh air.

"I'm Corporal Banks, Harry Banks"

"Chris Townsend" He Put his Cigarillo in his mouth and shook Harry's hand. Harry took a drag before Continuing.

"I've heard this Discord guy is going to try and get other towns too"

Chris shot him a worrying glance. But Harry reasurred him. "Don't worry, we've got the best army in the whole of Equestria...And plus he would even think of touching Ponyville or Canterlot". Chris relaxed a little. But he was still curious. "What makes you think that?" he asked. The royal guard took off his sand coloured beret and rubbed his short hair.

"Well, the whole county has gone on high alert. Plus, even he did get pass, his minions will get their arse's kicked before they cause any damage!"

They both chuckled at the comment. Then, Twilight came into the garden to check on Chris. Both men looked at her.

"Feeling better?" she politley asked. Chris nodded his head. "Yes thank you".

"You ready to see Celestia again?"

"Yep..." said Chris, before taking a last drag from his Cigarillo. He got up and stretched a little. He looked a Harry.

"Nice to meet you my friend"

"You too" Replied Harry, giving him a firm handshake. Chris was about to walk out with Twilight when Harry called his name. Chris turned around to him.

"If you need anything, absolutely anything, let me know" He kindly offered.

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind" Chris replied.

*







Twilight led Chris back to Princess Celestia's office. She was already sat her desk, drinking her tea. She looked a Chris.

"Feeling better?" she asked. Chris nodded as he sat back down. He looked at Twilight. She smiled at him.

"I would like to speak to you for a little bit longer, if that's okay" asked Celestia.

"Go ahead" Chris replied. She cleared her throat, then spoke.

"Now, I have spoke to Twilight about your condition. She'll take you to a doctor to get you checked out in Ponyville." she explained, looking at Twilight. Chris nodded, before coughing a little.

"Also I believe Twilight has something else to tell you"

Twilight perked up a little. "Yes...Applejack has said that she is more than happy to let you stay with them. Big Macintosh has even offered to share rooms with you..."

Chris sat up. "Really?". Hope gleamed in his eyes.

Twilight grinned. "Yes...and she has even offered you to help out on the farm, as a job"

Then, something sparked inside Chris. And it was that little spark that re-lighted something that has been kept damp and dim for the last few days: Hope. Hope of safety, help and: a new start. He could help it. But a huge smile appeared on his face. Relief washed over him like a tidal wave. No more running away; No more hiding. He was speechless...

"Thank you..." he finally spoke. He turned around to the Princess, who wore a smile herself after hearing the good news.

"Thank you..." he said again. Princess Celestia then reached out and touched his hand. Her touch was soft and gentle.

"My pleasure. We're here to help others who need it" She said kindly.

Chris smiled at her. But it was cut short as he succumbed to yet another coughing fit.

"Come on, we better get you to a doctor" said Twilight, Helping Chris up. She looked at the Princess "Thank you for what you have done"

"No, thank you. If your friend Applejack didn't find Chris, he probably would've lasted a few more days..."

Twilight nodded at her. The Princess moved her pink eyes to Chris.

"Go in peace. And I hope you will enjoy your new life you will start in Ponyville" She said gracefully.

Chris smiled at her once again, before walking out with twilight.