• Published 4th Dec 2017
  • 5,036 Views, 931 Comments

Field Notes from Equestria - Admiral Biscuit



A modern-day explorer gets his chance to visit Equestria, and writes down notes about the ponies he meets.

  • ...
11
 931
 5,036

A Trip North: Greenock

A Trip North: Greenock
Admiral Biscuit

There was a string of hopper cars on the other side of the station platform, and a boardwalk path with a set of short crossing gates to close the way when trains were moving. A spur track led off to the west, and I looked both ways to make sure that there were no trains coming, just in case I was wrong about the purpose of the gates.

The inn was just down the main street, a spreading three-story building with a thatched roof. That was my first stop, even though there likely wasn't much of a rush to get a room. I'd been the only person to get off the train at Greenock, after all.

Then again, maybe they also rented rooms by the month.

What I could see of the village had a boomtown feel. I couldn't tell if that was because it was a boomtown, or if that was just how the ponies had felt like building it. While there was surely some sort of rhyme and reason to their architecture choices, I'd never been able to make any sense of it. Things ranged from somewhat modern, to traditional European, to straight-up fantastic.

It would be like seeing a Rolls Royce and the Weinermobile both for sale at the same dealership—that was the best comparison I could come up with.

But then I got to thinking that the start of the Industrial Age on Earth had produced similar results, at least as far as I could remember. I probably should have studied up on my history a little bit more before coming to Equestria.

Inside it was inviting and what I'd consider conventional pony. It wasn't as fancy as my hotel back in Manehattan—there wasn't much in the way of furnishings, and the front counter was just unfinished wood. The stallion at the front counter was trying to lend an air of high class to the place that it hadn't earned: he was wearing a waistcoat with golden pinstripes.

He took a step back before recovering and smiled politely. “Good evening, uh, sir. Are you looking for a room?”

“For a couple of days. I'm traveling.”

“Very good.” He glanced down at a book on his desk, which I assumed was some sort of reservation book. Or maybe it was his first day on the job, and that was the book of employee guidelines. Inkeeping for Dummies.

That was a rather uncharitable thought, but for some reason I had gotten stuck on the thought of John Cleese in Fawlty Towers. He'd have a long-suffering wife who tried to rein him in. . . .

“Would you prefer an upper floor or lower?” he asked, interrupting my thoughts.

“Either is fine.”

“Mm-hm.” He glanced back down at the book. “I have a room on the north side which I think will suit your needs. We have a dining room where you can take your meals if you like, and each floor has its own toilets. There's a spa to the west of the hotel for your hygienic needs as well, or a bath can be brought to your room.”

Said bath would likely consist of a washtub and a pony with pails of hot water which in some way was kind of tempting and I wasn't sure why. “I think that the spa will be fine.”

“Very good.” He wrinkled his muzzle. “There's also a public house down the street, if that's something you're interested in.”

It was, but I didn't want to press him on the issue. Maybe it was cliched, but it was a great place to meet ponies, and I was fully intending to go there as soon as I put my bag away in my room.

***

The bar had the same kind of boomtown feel to it, but at least they weren't trying to pretend that they were something else. Interestingly, instead of having art or decorative woodwork to liven the place up, they had flowers. Some of them were cut and in vases; others were in small pots.

I took a seat right at the bar where I could keep an eye on the entrance, in case any interesting ponies came in.

That was a good choice—I'd barely taken a sip of my beer when a cluster of mares came through the door. They were all wearing hard hats with little lights mounted on front, and all of them looked like they'd just gotten done with a hard day's work.

I turned enough to see them out of the corner of my eye. Unfortunately for me, they'd chosen a table a bit closer to the back.

It didn't take long at all for them to get in an argument with the waitress. “How come we can't pay in gems?”

“That's the rule here.” The waitress had that slightly exasperated note in her voice like she'd had this same conversation dozens of times before.

“We've got rubies.”

“Yeah. A whole bucket of 'em.”

“You're not the only ones to try and pay in gems, you know.”

That conversation was getting my interest. A bucket of rubies? They probably weren't paying any attention to me, so I turned around to get a few view of the developing situation.

They did, indeed, have a bucket, and I was immensely curious, so I quickly finished my drink and walked over to their table, where their conversation with the waitress was becoming more heated.

As promised, the bucket was full of rubies, some of them nearly the size of my fist. Probably a million dollars worth or more . . . at least, back on Earth.

“Do you have any actual bits?”

“Back in Pit Town.”

That perked my interest even more. What was Pit Town? I didn't remember seeing that on the timetable, although there was ‘pit’ in the railroad name.

“Give us a break, we didn't know.”

“Maybe you could keep the bucket, like for insurance that we'd come back to pay.”

“I don't think so.” The waitress flicked her tail. “If you had something worthwhile.”

“I'm hungry,” one of them grumbled. “I don't wanna walk all the way back to Pit Town.”

“Ask real nice and I'll let you ride back in the wagon.”

I reached my decision. It was a dumb decision, in the grand scheme of things, but I was utterly confident that I would never in my life be able to buy that many gems that cheaply. So what if I could never take them back to Earth? Maybe I could trade them for something back in Manehattan, and if not, I could just enjoy the experience of holding a king's ransom worth of jewels.

“I'll buy your bucket, and pay for your dinners in exchange. And one beer each, if you want.”

“Only one?”

“Shut up, Lignite.”

“Have you got bits?” The waitress narrowed her eyes.

“Yeah.”

“You'd better.” She took her order pad back out of her apron and looked around at the table. “Okay, who's going first?”

***

Naturally, I got invited to stay at their table for the meal. They were all pit ponies who worked in a coal mine, and apparently the gems were something that they found frequently and had no particular use for.

The foreman—forepony—was named Longwall, and she was accompanied with Assay, Gytta, Overburden, and Lignite.

We spent all of our dinner swapping stories, them about mining and me about life on Earth, and I was having so much fun talking to them that I relaxed my one beer rule. Only a little bit, though. I'd heard about roughnecks on Earth and their legendary drinking prowess, and I didn't want to wind up being bankrupted by them.

They also had a room at the inn for the night, and they said that they were going to spend tomorrow at the spa before going back to Pit Town. They invited me to join them; Assay said that she could put me temporary on the mine payroll as a consultant as a way of saying thank you. I politely declined that offer.

They were, however, insistent that I come and visit the mine, which they were quite proud of. And I had to admit, I was curious about it myself. I wasn't sure what I'd get to see; at least back on Earth they'd just show you the visitor's center for safety reasons, but Longwall was insistent that she'd give me a tour of the mine.

Gytta had an objection. “He's kind of tall for it. He’ll bump his head unless he walks on all fours.”

“He can ride in a cart,” Lignite said.

“You get to pull it.”

“Fine. I don't mind.”

***

It was a lot later than I'd planned when I finally got back to my hotel room with my bucket of rubies. I set them in front of the nightstand, dropped my shirt over the top of it so it wasn't too obvious—not that I thought that anyone would bother them—and stretched out on the bed. I figured I'd get up early, look around town a little bit and then follow them back to Pit Town and their mine sometime in the afternoon. It’d be a nice day trip, and I wouldn’t have to pack anything.