• Published 4th Dec 2017
  • 5,037 Views, 931 Comments

Field Notes from Equestria - Admiral Biscuit



A modern-day explorer gets his chance to visit Equestria, and writes down notes about the ponies he meets.

  • ...
11
 931
 5,037

The Jacks

The Jacks
Admiral Biscuit

There were a lot of things in cities that you noticed and then didn’t pay any attention to. Things like manhole covers—they were ubiquitous, but normally unless they were fenced off and somebody was down them, you paid them little to no mind.

And the little partitions in some alleyways in Manehattan were like that. I’d seen them before but not really registered them. They reminded me of bollards that were spaced too wide to have any real effect, or else the little gate around turnstiles. Maybe what a subway entrance would look like if they decided that they weren’t going to be charging fares any more.

I’d probably seen a pony go down one of those alleyways before, although if you’d asked me to swear in court that I had, I wouldn’t have.

And in hindsight, it should have been obvious. After all, I’d been to Central Park before and seen the carriage horses.

I’d been out later than usual: I’d gone to a movie theatre to see a movie called Desert Orchid, which was about a racepony of the same name. It was my first experience in a pony movie theatre, and much like a human cinema, the seats were uncomfortable and the concessions overpriced.

The movie wasn’t all that great, either, although the rest of the audience seemed to like it.

I was walking back to my hotel when a flickering light down an alleyway caught my eye. When I took a closer look, I saw a wagon sitting kind of crosswise in the alley, and I could see a head silhouetted by the lantern, although it took me a moment to figure that out, since the rest of the pony was underground.

That was an unusual sight, so I turned down the alleyway to see if I could figure out what was going on. Most of the roads were cobblestone, and that took a lot of work, so maybe she was repairing the road.

The smell hit me when I got a little bit closer, and if she hadn’t popped out of her hole to investigate me, I think I would have just turned and walked away.

She was wearing a full-body suit that looked very much like a hazmat suit, which was something that I hadn’t known ponies had invented. She’d pushed the hood off, probably to get a better look at me.

Without even thinking, I stuck out my fist, and she lifted up a forehoof, then thought better of it and reached forward to bump me with her nose instead.

“I’m Joe,” I said.

“Tam Tam.”

“You’re—”

She nodded. “I’ve gotta work at night. Manehattan law. Got to stay out of the way of the ‘nice ponies.’” She made adorable little air quotes with her hooves.

I was really curious what her cutie mark was, but I wasn’t going to ask her to take off her suit so I could see. “The city has running water and flush toilets.” I’d heard that some of the more rural areas didn’t.

“Not everywhere,” she informed me. “Most of the buildings do, sure, but what’s a pony to do when she’s hitched up to a wagon?”

“So you’ve got drive-through stalls.” Now that I knew what they were for, it made complete sense. The wagon behind would provide some privacy, and the half-walls would complete it. I suppose if anypony was really curious, they could look over the stall, but maybe they had social rules for that, like in the men’s restrooms back in America.

Or maybe since they went around naked all the time, they really didn’t care.

“Yup. And they’ve got to be cleaned out every now and then, ‘cause they get full.”

Back on Earth, of course, there were all sorts of septic tank cleaners out in the country, and of course the guys that hauled the outhouses around. I suppose they must have emptied them out, too—I wasn’t sure how that worked. Was there a hose that went in them, or a drain valve at the bottom? Probably a hose; a drain valve might leak.

And did they swap them out when they got full, or have some kind of a rotating schedule where they went by with some kind of a hose truck and sucked them out then put more of that blue stuff in them?

Tam Tam didn’t have blue stuff. She only had an open wagon which at least had a tarp to cover it, although that was currently rolled back.

I thought about asking her about leaks, then decided I probably didn’t want to know. Surely there was some kind of liner in the wagon. She must know what she’s doing.

“How many of you are there?”

“How many of me?”

“Working for the city? Cleaning up—this.”

“Couple dozen,” she said. “Me and my brothers, we’re the biggest crew. Most everypony else is one or two at most.”

“Where do you take it when you’re done? The sewage treatment plant?” I didn’t know if that was a thing, but it was on Earth, and they did have plumbing, so it seemed logical.

“Sometimes. Kinds depends. There isn’t space to compost it in most of Manehattan and it takes too long to get it out to the outskirts of the city by wagon, you know? But we’ve got our own rail siding, and we ship it out to Appleoosa so they can improve the soil out there.”

“Isn’t Appleoosa kind of desert?” That was what I’d heard.

“Yeah, so the soil’s not too good. Weather patrols can get the rain, but if there aren’t any nutrients in the soil, the plants won’t grow, and the sand will just wash away. It’s kind of difficult to improve land like that, you know. Gotta work slowly and get hearty plants in first to fix the soil in, and then start improving it. We bought some land out there; ‘cause it’s really cheap, and when my little sister gets old enough, she’s going to start working it and improving it, and once it gets good enough that we can grow crops, the whole family’s going to move out there. Until then—” she motioned at her cart.

“Does it pay well?”

She nodded. “Not a lot of ponies really want to do it. Gonna be weird when I quit, though; working during the day instead of the night. Hey, I don’t mean to be rude, but—”

“No—I’m sorry for taking your time. It was good talking to you, and good luck with your farm.”

“Thanks!” She pulled the helmet back over her head and I stayed around long enough for her to drop back in the pit, then walked out of the alleyway and back to the street.

Author's Note:

Back in Ye Olden Times, having a horse-powered city came with certain drawbacks, and there were people whose job it was to keep the streets clean. Night Soil men, as they were sometimes called, or gong farmers. They often worked at night, because nobody wanted to see (or smell) them during the day.

Which, incidentally, is where Tam Tam’s name came from--that’s a type of gong.

Desert Orchid was a real racehorse.

Also, FWIW, they normally suck out port-a-potties with a vacuum truck; they don’t transport them full (for what I should expect are obvious reasons).

Jacks is Irish slang for the toilet.