• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 1,571 Views, 27 Comments

Twilight Sparkle & the World Eaters - Jet Magnum



A crossover/fusion fic with Soul Nomad & the World Eaters

  • ...
1
 27
 1,571

5. Fringe Benefits

5. Fringe Benefits

The sound of despondent sniffles echoed throughout the vast, vaulted halls of Canterlot Castle, rebounding off the pristine white stone walls and tall, gold-embellished pillars, making it hard to pinpoint the origin of the sound. Under the cover of night, whispers of haunted corridors didn't seem quite so silly or far-fetched as they may have by day; the late night cleaning staff went about their tasks with jittery nerves—at least, those hadn't abandoned their feather-dusters out of superstitious fright.

One late-night wanderer was not affected by the infectious imaginations of the staff, however, and as she passed their spines shored up a little and they briskly threw themselves into their work, trying to look as if they had not been peeking over their shoulders looking for weeping ghost-ponies. Golden shod hooves made the only sound that broke into the soft, echoing crying that floated through the dimly lit corridors, the rippling prismatic tail that flowed in her passage seeming to carry their fears away with it. Celestia strode purposefully through the castle’s halls, her expression unreadable.

It was a little-used guest wing where she finally found the origin of those sounds. Huddled up against a white marble pillar, gingerly rubbing at a hurting foreleg and trying with little success to fight off the flow of tears stinging at her eyes, the tiny lavender unicorn filly somehow managed to look even smaller in the presence of the towering Princess of the Day.

Twilight Sparkle looked up with a start once Celestia’s shadow fell over her. Hastily, she scrubbed a foreleg over her eyes, only for them to mist over again with another sniffle. Her mouth opened, but she couldn't seem to find the words.

Celestia offered her a kindly smile. “Twilight…what’s wrong? Did you hurt yourself?”

Self-consciously looking away, the filly gave a hesitant little nod, rubbing at the little red mark just above her left front hoof. She’d tripped and banged it against something in her room; it’d been too dark to see what it was. Celestia’s head bowed further, the very tip of her horn lowering to not-quite-touch the wounded appendage, and with a subtle shimmer of golden light the mark was gone.

Little Twilight gasped, startled and amazed, but she remained hunkered close to the floor and kept her eyes lowered. Another little sniffle betrayed her.

“Twilight, why are you so far from your room?” Celestia asked her gently. Despite the soft, soothing tone, Twilight cowered against the floor when questioned, averting her wide violet eyes. “Are you lost?” Celestia tried again, this time getting a little nod.

Twilight gasped as the tingle of magic washed over her, a golden aura enveloping her and lifting her off the floor, causing her to flail her legs a little in momentary panic before she was settled down with utmost care onto Celestia’s back, between her wings.

“Come on, I’ll take you back to your room,” Celestia murmured to her. Reluctantly at first, Twilight settled down between her princess’s wings, tucking her head against the back of Celestia’s neck. “Why did you go wandering the castle?” Celestia continued. When Twilight tensed, she quickly added, “I’m not angry. I’m just worried about you. Canterlot Castle is a big place for a little filly to wander at night.”

It was hard to make out Twilight’s mumbled reply, but the words “buh-bad dream” and “mom” squeaked out between sniffles, causing Celestia’s expression to somehow soften even further.

“You’re lonely, aren’t you?” Celestia whispered. The question was rhetorical, but little Twilight nodded meekly into her mane anyway. “I suppose when you’ve lived as long as I have, it’s easy not to think about simple little things like that. You’ve probably never been away from your parents for so long before. Tomorrow we’ll go see them, alright?”

The Sun Princess’ amusement was plain on her face, as she clearly tried not to chuckle at the way those little ears perked up. But then they wilted again.

“Y-you’re not…sending me away, are you, puh-Princess…?” Twilight asked, suddenly terrified as the possible implications sank in. “I’ll be a g-good student! I promise! I-I…just…” Those big, purple eyes were starting to tear up again.

Celestia quickly headed that off. “No, Twilight, I am not dismissing you,” she assured, craning her neck to gently nuzzle the little filly’s mane. “But you’re still allowed to see your family. This isn’t a prison, after all.” She smiled, and a hesitant one crept onto Twilight’s face in answer. “Hmm…how would you like to come sleep in my room tonight? To tell you the truth, I get lonely sometimes, too.”

Twilight’s wide eyes threatened to bulge from their sockets. “Really?” she gasped, astonished by the very idea. To her credit, Celestia still managed not to laugh.

“Yes, really,” she answered, unable to help a very slight chuckle. “What do you say? It’s a very nice bed.”

“O-okay.” Twilight gave a final sniffle, but she was smiling once again. “Th-thank you, Princess.”

“You’re welcome, Twilight.” Celestia smiled as she changed course, turning down the corridor toward her personal tower. “Just remember one thing, Twilight, always: no matter what happens in this world, you are not alone.”

******

Princess…? Light tried to filter past Twilight’s eyelids, but she stubbornly fended it off, squinting them shut tighter. She felt like every muscle and every nerve in her body had been twisted into knots, held that way for about four hours, and then left to unwind on their own.

Ugh. Gig shuddered in the depths of her mind, reminding her sharply of his presence and her situation. So that was you as a little pipsqueak, huh? I think I developed cavities just from watching that. And right after I finally got some real action. You sure know how to bring a guy down. Still, you saw my dream, I saw yours…guess that makes us even.

Then that was…real? She was still trying to chase away the fog of sleep clinging to her thoughts.

Hah! Gig’s sinister glee was a palpable thing. Hell yeah. What’cha think? Pretty awesome, huh?

That was…the most terrifying thing I’ve ever experienced, she answered bluntly. But what I still don’t understand is…why? You helped us for free. Does that mean you actually…care, after all?

Pfft! Gig barked a dismissive laugh. As if! It’s really simple, kid. Now that you’ve gotten a taste—just a tiny taste, by the way—of what I can do…well, now you’ve got something to think about when Feinne’s all up in your face, don’cha? Don’t go expecting any more freebies like that one. Next time you wanna save your pastel pelted little friends, you’re just gonna hafta pony up. Hehe…‘pony’ up. Get it? ‘Cuz you’re a…oh, screw you, that was funny! Anyway, you’d better get up before they start to think I did take over and shank you in your sleep. ‘Sides, I wanna have a talk with ‘em, myself.

You? Twilight was skeptical, but reluctantly, she stirred. Some minor investigation, once she finally willed her unwilling body to move, revealed that she’d been placed in a plush, soft bed, the covers drawn up over her. She tried to pry her eyes open, but was forced to screw them shut again as her over-sensitive retinas were seared by the light. Attempting a second time, keeping them squinted blearily, she managed to peek about and recognized the trappings of her private sleeper car on the train. She couldn't feel any movement, which hopefully meant that they hadn't fixed the track rather than that they’d disconnected her car and left her behind. She had to remind herself forcibly that they’d never do a thing like that.

Just moving was difficult, her stiff and aching limbs uncooperative as she pushed the covers back, but she rolled over nonetheless and dropped off the bunk onto her hooves, though her legs buckled a bit on her landing.

That got the attention of the other presence in the room, who started awake with a snort. The chair drawn up to the foot of her bunk toppled over, but its occupant scrambled to his feet and over to her side, a blur of purple and green before scaly hands on her foreleg and shoulder steadied her.

“Twilight!” Spike greeted her, his voice a strange blend of anxiety and relief. “Twilight, take it easy! Are you okay? Speak to me!”

“I-I’m okay, Spike,” she managed, though her voice had a quaver to it. She realized suddenly that her throat was completely parched. “Could I have some water, though…?”

“One water, coming right up!” He darted away, faster than she’d ever seen him move when Rarity, a gemstone snack or a large angry monster wasn't part of the equation, and burst through the door, not bothering to close it behind him.

Little runt moves pretty quick, Gig observed dryly. Bet if you put him on a hamster wheel and dangled a diamond in front of his face he’d be able to power this train by himself.

Despite herself, Twilight had to exert a great deal of willpower to avoid laughing at that mental image.

She took the time waiting for his return to try working out the kinks in her muscles, forcing her unsteady limbs to carry her in wide circles around the compartment at a slow walk. She wanted nothing more than to lie down for at least another hour or more, but there was no telling how long she’d been unconscious already, and the others were no doubt worried. She just hoped that they weren't all afraid of her, now.

Spike’s return was heralded by hooffalls filling the passage beyond her door, too many for her to easily recognize the number of visitors. Only one came into visibility on the little dragon’s heels, as he breathlessly offered her a glass with only about half of its contents sloshed out. Deciding not to complain, she instead nodded gratefully to him as she plucked it from his grasp with her magic, taking a long pull from the glass and turning her eyes toward Corporal Thunderhead in the doorway.

“Back with us, then, Miss Sparkle?” His voice was as cool and dispassionate as ever. She tried to read any sign of apprehension or hostility—or even concern—in his face, but he was as stony-faced as any other armored pegasus guard she’d seen in Canterlot.

“Yes, Sir, thank you,” she answered slowly; her voice still didn't feel entirely like her own, after sharing her speaking organs with Gig earlier. “Is…everypony alright? How long was I out...?”

“It's only been three hours. Miss Applejack is still abed, as is Miss Pie—” he began.

“No I’m not!” an unmistakable voice squeaked from behind him, her pink friend’s head bobbing into the doorway (part of her poofy pink curls bound by the white bandage wrapped about her brow) accompanied by a curious boing sound.

“As should be Miss Pie,” Thunderhead corrected as if he hadn’t been interrupted, only a mild edge to his tone. “Your other friends are unharmed. They made quite a showing of themselves, in fact. I've advised Miss Dash to consider enlisting in the Aerial Guard.”

“Pfft, boring.” Rainbow could finally wait no longer, and with a shove of her hoof on his rump, pushed Thunderhead out of the way to permit herself room to enter. The other three filed in after her, Pinkie coming precariously close to klunking her already bandaged noggin against the door frame as she literally bounced in.

“Oh my gosh…Pinkie, are you alright?” Twilight reached a hoof out toward her, and then hovered it near her chin, concerned.

“I feel fine!” the pink mare confirmed, bobbing in place as her slightly-unfocused eyes darted around the room with no less than her usual enthusiasm. “Besides, it feels kinda funny when I bounce now. You should try it sometime!” Twilight cringed a little as Pinkie demonstrated, before Fluttershy gently stilled her with a pair of hooves on her back.

“Hah, you worry too much, kid,” Gig broke in. “It’s not like there’s anything in there to damage, anyway.”

Gig!” Twilight scolded. Pinkie either wasn’t fazed or simply ignored the insult.

Rarity turned from where she, too, had been gazing at Pinkie with concern, focusing her attention on her purple friend. “Darling, are you alright?” she asked, stepping around the Corporal to get a closer look at her. A hoof brushed the straight-cut bangs back from her eyes, Rarity’s foreleg feeling her brow just under the horn. “You gave us all quite the fright. Especially poor Spike, he was an utter mess.”

Mention of the dragon reminded Twilight of the glass of water she still held in her magical grip, and she downed the rest of its contents before sitting down on her haunches and wrapping a foreleg gingerly around Spike’s shoulders.

“I’m fine,” Twilight assured them, smiling in what she hoped was a reassuring way. “Really, I am. He didn’t take over, or anything.”

“Or did I? Ooooooh…” Gig’s attempt at a spooky noise was cut off as Twilight raised a hoof to cuff herself in the temple. “Ow! Okay, okay, goddamn.”

“He didn’t,” she assured. She smiled at them all with relief. “I’m just glad everypony’s okay. I’ve read about Golems, in old books of magical theorycraft, but the ethical ramifications of crafting one combined with the sheer quantity of eldritch potentiality required to—” She cleared her throat sheepishly at the blank stares she was getting, attempting again with a nervous smile, “—ah, it just isn’t…feasible to really make one in this day and age. So I never really bothered to read up on things like how to shut one down.”

"Yeah, she's fine, alright," Rainbow Dash grinned with a roll of her magenta eyes. "What's-his-face in there wouldn't even know any of those words." She ignored the dry look from Rarity that wordlessly questioned whether Dash herself knew them.

“Obviously somepony did it, though,” Thunderhead reminded them, his eyes narrowing. “And it was shaped unusually, too—standing up on two legs, like that.”

“That’s because a Golem’s appearance reflects the soul of whoever summoned it,” Twilight murmured thoughtfully, thinking back on what details she could remember from the book in question. It certainly wasn’t one of the ones she’d brought with her, but maybe she could scour the books furbished in her car for one that might contain something relevant. In the meantime, however… “I’ll have to think on that some, maybe do some research later, but for now: how’s Applejack? Can I see her…?”

“She took quite a shock,” Fluttershy finally spoke up, immediately wilting a little when all eyes turned toward her. “U-um, but she should be fine. She hasn’t been unconscious like Twilight, and she isn’t burned, but she’ll need plenty of bed rest before she’s able to be up and about again. She…she isn’t going to like it, though.” The sunny-coated pegasus scuffed one of her forehooves against the floor.

No…she wouldn’t, at that. And good luck convincing her to stay in bed if she got herself set on the idea of toughing it out. All the more reason to go and convince her everything was fine, so she could settle down and rest. Gathering herself, Twilight rose to stand again.

“Alright, Spike, c’mon,” she bade her assistant.

“You got it!” He needed no further prompting to climb up onto her back, though she could feel him cringe when her knees bent a little under the weight. “You sure about this, Twilight?” he whispered into her ear, leaning forward against her neck.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she assured him quietly, with a small smile. “Come on, Spike, you’re the one always saying I worry too much.”

You can say that, but are we really gonna lug this heavy-ass pointy rock on our back constantly? Gig complained. I dunno how you deal with it. You could at least wear a damn saddle or something.

She ignored that, turning instead to Thunderhead. “Corporal, would you take us to see Applejack, please?”

“Since you seem to be fully in control of your faculties, Miss Sparkle, very well.” The Corporal snapped a salute with his right wing, turning on a hoof and trotting past the assembled group. He didn't seem like he was about to slow and wait for them, so they hastened to file out and follow.

“While we’re at it, where the hell’d you put my sword?” Gig called ahead as they made their way toward the front of the train. At first, the flicking of a white ear next to his conductor’s cap was the only sign that Thunderhead had heard him, waiting until the entire group had entered the next car before speaking.

“It’s in a safe place,” he replied curtly, not even turning his head, “but after the display we witnessed, it was deemed safest to keep it far from Miss Sparkle in the interest of security.”

“Wishful thinking, Private Pantywaist,” Gig snorted. “If the kid had really given in, you’d all be glue no matter how far away you put my sword.”

“But, still…thank you very much, for saving us,” Fluttershy added meekly. “If…if not for you and Twilight, I don’t know what might have—”

“Save it, squeaky toy,” the dark god grunted, prompting her to bite down a yelp. “I didn’t do it to help any of you little beanie babies. Especially not ones who can’t even pull their own weight in a fight.”

As Fluttershy’s teal eyes drooped to the floor, she attempted to stammer out an apology, but before she could, Rarity’s muzzle lightly brushed her cheek, her friend giving her a smile—and then turning a glare in Twilight’s direction. Even Pinkie Pie managed to look distinctly less than amused, her brows drawing together.

“That is quite enough, you uncouth barbarian,” Rarity snapped, her patience finally worn through. “Say all that you wish about me, but you shall leave Fluttershy out of your petty insults. Just exactly what is it you are trying to prove? Yes, you destroyed an ugly stone toy, how utterly wonderful for you.” Her eyes rolled, profoundly unimpressed. “Without Twilight’s help, you wouldn't have been able to do even that, so the one our thanks go to is her. You’d do well to keep your situation in mind before opening your foul mouth.”

“And you’d do well to remember when you’re talkin’ to somebody who can pop you like a zit soon as he gets outta his squishy purple cage.” Gig’s voice, no longer amused, was dripping with deadly promise. “Don’t get lippy with me, marshmallow pony.”

Rarity was not properly intimidated, however. In fact, she looked rather satisfied. And as well she should be—she had clearly struck a nerve.

Two cars up, they finally reached Applejack’s compartment. Thunderhead seemed content with waiting in the passageway, this time, allowing the rest of the group to pass by as he held the door open with a wing. The interior was, as one might expect, decorated in a simple and artfully rustic fashion, not unlike having stepped directly into Applejack’s own living room at her farmhouse, albeit with a plush—and, of course, presently occupied—bunk set against the farthest wall below the window. Old but sturdy coils of rope were draped over nails in the wooden walls, along with Applejack’s Stetson hat; there was even an old wagon wheel affixed to another wall, and the “tables” in the room consisted of broad, stout wooden planks laid across the tops of varnished wood barrels. AJ’s saddlebags were plopped carelessly atop one such table, and Rarity, unable to stand it any longer, levitated them toward an unused nail on the wall with her eyes rolled toward the ceiling and a long-suffering sigh.

With a private look, Twilight wordlessly urged the others to stand back, not wanting to crowd her orange friend as she hesitantly stepped closer to the bundle of grass-green blankets and straw-colored mane.

“…Applejack?” she tried, tentatively, softly. That elicited a soft, sleepy groan and a stir, but nothing more.

“Hey, stupid cowpony!” Gig attempted a more direct approach. “Wake up, already!”

Gig!

It had the desired effect, however. Groggily, AJ’s green, green eyes fluttered open. Though her expression was initially one of distaste as her sleepy mind processed the voice that had awakened her, the sight that greeted her eyes brought a smile to her lips.

“Hey, Twi…” she murmured groggily. “Heckuva show ya put on, out there.”

“Er…heh, I suppose so,” Twilight hedged, smiling a bit awkwardly. “It wasn’t exactly…me, but I’m just glad you’re all safe.”

“Ah’m just glad ta see yer still…you,” Applejack finally announced what it seemed the others had been feeling, judging from their earnest nods. “Fer a lil’ while there…well, we all kinda thought…but the important thing is yer fine.” She smiled. Then, her expression darkened a bit. “Now where’s them buffalo what tried ta bushwhack us?”

“They seem to have slipped away during the confrontation with the Golem,” Corporal Thunderhead finally announced, standing at attention in the doorway. “Difficult if not impossible to say where they fled to; these plains are their territory, and they are exceptionally skilled at covering their tracks. It would be best to assume, however, that they made to rendezvous with their ringleader.”

“Stupid…not-Trixie,” Rainbow Dash grumbled, scowling darkly. “I mean, I don’t exactly like the real Trixie, but at least she wasn't a no-good train robber!”

“Never thought I’d see a pony with the spine to try and knock over a train, I gotta admit.” Gig actually sounded almost impressed. “Sure, she was a joke and a total moron, but I never thought ponies had the stones to go jacking up trains. Which reminds me…now that the hayseed’s conscious again, I think it’s about time I tell you morons about something.”

“Yeah?” Spike’s eyes narrowed as he leaned around Twilight’s head, glaring into her ear as though he might actually see Gig in there. “Like what?”

“Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up,” Gig continued as though uninterrupted. “You may be a bunch of candy-ass ponies, but you showed out there that you ain’t a complete waste of oxygen. Well, most of you did, anyway. You're all gonna die anyway once I get loose, but I can appreciate a little carnage in the meantime. Buncha little ponies flattening a couple buffalo was the best show I’ve seen in a couple thousand years. ‘Course, the Golem kicked all your asses, but that was totally outta your league…until now, anyway.”

“What’re you getting at, Gig…?” Twilight asked him, suspicion creeping into her tone as her eyes narrowed.

“Kid, I think it’s about time I explained to you about the power of Dominion.” He gave that word a long, significant moment to settle over the group, the weight of its significance falling on them like a blanket. “See, it works like this: just for having my badass self rooming with your soul, kid, you get a few goodies to play with free of charge. Let’s call ‘em fringe benefits of being host to the God of Destruction. The power boost to your magic, you already know about. You can also take more abuse than before, and heal up quicker. And once you quit bein’ a wuss about using it, you’ll be able to get a lotta mileage outta my onyx blade. But wait, there’s more!

“See, here’s the real kicker.” Even without being able to see his face, every pony present shivered a little at the wicked grin that made itself audible in his tone. “You also get the power of Dominion. Anybody you Dominate can be summoned to your side from anywhere in the world, no matter how far away, no matter what they’re doin’. So just hope they’re not on the can when it happens.” Twilight rolled her eyes, but didn’t interrupt. “Even better? Anybody you Dominate and summon into battle gains a power boost of their own, becoming stronger and harder to kill. Not as much of a boost as yours, but enough that even you chumps could have smoked that Golem any day.”

“Hey, who’re ya callin’ a chump, chump?” Rainbow snapped, shaking a hoof in Twilight’s direction with a glare.

Gig ignored her. “Couple downsides, though. First of all, don’t get too excited about the name—you don’t actually get total control over ‘em, apart from the fact that you can revoke the Domination at any time; they’ve still got their own free will.”

That didn’t sound like much of a downside, to Twilight, but she took care not to mention that.

“Second,” he continued, “you can’t Dominate anybody without their permission. They have to willingly consent to it, and they can retract that consent at any time.”

“That’s…amazing,” Twilight finally admitted, tilting her head thoughtfully. “That sounds incredibly helpful, Gig. Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me, kid,” Gig grunted. “I’m just trying to keep from getting too bored before the World Eaters rip you all new assholes. You ponies get some Gig Points for trashing a couple losers five times your size, but I wanna see just what kinda mayhem you can get up to with some real power.”

“M-Mayhem isn’t very…nice,” Fluttershy mumbled, her wings shivering a little against her sides.

“We are not here to entertain you, heathen,” Rarity sniffed, lifting her nose. She peeked an eye open to look at her lavender friend. “But…if it means we’ll be able to take some of the burden off of Twilight…” She stepped forward, bravely. “I shall volunteer to be, as you say, ‘Dominated’.”

“Are you…sure, Rarity?” Twilight hedged, lifting a foreleg with apprehension. “It might be dangerous, I haven’t had an opportunity to study any possible side-effects, or…”

“Oh, fiddle-faddle,” Rarity waved a dismissive hoof, smiling encouragingly. “We came to help you, Twilight, and we knew there would be risks when we did so. This is for your sake and for all of Equestria. Do your worst.”

“Yeah!” Dash was, of course, not to be outdone, trotting up and puffing out her chest. “Me, too. You need somepony to look out for you, egghead. I’ll show those World…Whatevers what happens when you mess with the best.”

“World Eaters,” Gig groaned. “How the hell could you forget something that important?”

Trotting a step forward, Corporal Thunderhead spoke up in a crisp, rigid tone. “As per my duty, consider my loyalty yours, so long as it does not conflict with my loyalty to the Princesses.”

“Us, too!” Pinkie glibly volunteered herself, Fluttershy and Applejack, both of whom she now held in headlocks under each foreleg, their cheeks smooshed against hers. “Right, girls?”

“You know it, Twi,” AJ chuckled, trying to turn her head enough to talk while somehow managing not to fall out of the bed. “Ah’m in this with ya ‘til the end.”

“I-I don’t know how much help I’ll be,” Fluttershy hedged, “b-but if you don’t mind…that is, if it’s alright with you…”

“Eh…I guess you can Dominate that one if you really want to,” Gig added skeptically. “I don’t see any point, but hey…it’s your posse.”

Fluttershy looked downcast again, but Twilight smiled and craned her head to catch her friend’s teal eyes. “Of course. We’re all in this together, and I need each and every one of you. We’re friends, after all.”

Ya~awn,” Gig articulated dryly. “Now can we get on with it, already?”

Annoyed, Twilight narrowed her eyes. “You didn’t exactly tell me how to do this, you know.”

“Geez, I gotta hold your hand? Er. Hoof? Whatever.” He grunted, and then gave a mental shrug; Twilight was certain she’d never get used to that sensation. “Fine, fine. Look, it’s easy. Just…open your mind. Reach out with your consciousness, feel their offered obedience and take it into yourself. Pretty soon it’ll be as natural as breathing. Summoning works pretty much the same way, you just reach out for that tether of loyalty and give it a pull. Thing is, they might not necessarily come right away—you give the call, but it’s up to them to answer.”

Twilight nodded, taking a deep breath and closing her eyes. Now that she knew what to “feel” for, it was actually remarkably easy, not unlike drawing on her own magic from within, or uniting the power of the Elements of Harmony through her own. But now, even without the Elements, she could sense those invisible threads, intangible bonds given imaginary form, all reaching out toward her from six different directions. No…seven. Her mouth twitched into a frown, her eyes opening.

No, Spike,” she insisted, stomping an insistent forehoof.

“Aw, c’mon!” he complained, leaning against the back of her neck. “You need me and you know it!”

“I do need you,” she explained patiently, “but I need you safe and out of harm’s way. I am not going to Dominate you.”

You could just not summon him into battle, y’know, Gig supplied silently. You don’t have to summon them all at once.

Why does it matter so much to you? she retorted suspiciously. Her answer was a mental shrug.

I just don’t wanna hear the runt whining the whole way, he grunted. Besides, who knows when you’ll need a paperweight?

Twilight sighed. “Oh…alright, Spike. But only in case I need a message sent; you are not fighting.”

The jubilant cheer that sounded directly next to her ear made Gig yelp a vile word. It was almost worth the ringing.

Twilight closed her eyes again, stretching out with her senses, visualizing the intangible bonds reaching out to her from her friends. Each one was offered willingly, stretching out toward her, and she drew them to her as though breathing them in. They came without resistance, and she could feel a sense of contentment as each thread joined with her. There was a faint chiming of magic ringing in the air, a flash of bright light illuminating through her closed lids.

Exhaling a sigh, Twilight opened her eyes, smiling at each determined face in turn. “Thank you all. Together, we can do this.”

“Yeah!” Rainbow snapped her wings open, smirking. “We got this.”

“But of course, darling,” Rarity put in, giving her curls a toss. “Together.”

“Together!” the remaining voices chorused, save the ever stoic Thunderhead. He did nod, at least.

“Yeah, alright, whatever!” Gig hastened to interrupt them, his voice annoyed. “Can we just see about getting this thing moving again? You guys can have your sappy little ‘moment’ once we’re rolling.”

Twilight rolled her eyes, but couldn’t argue with the cold logic of it. “Alright, let’s go have a look at the tracks.” She turned a sharp look on the orange mare trying to struggle out of her bed. “Applejack, you stay right there. You’re in no condition to be clearing rocks away.”

“Aw, horse apples,” the farm pony scoffed, already struggling to push the covers back off herself. “Ah’m fit as a fiddle. Little zap ain’t gonna put AJ down fer the count.”

“Applejack, I mean it,” Twilight insisted, shaking her head. “Look, at least stay in bed until we reach Appleloosa, okay?”

The orange mare looked for a moment like she was trying to work up a protest, but finally she gave a disgruntled sigh and sagged back down. “Okay, okay. But just ’til Appleloosa.” She narrowed her eyes, as she repeated for emphasis, “Just ‘til Appleloosa.”

“Don’t worry, Applejack!” Pinkie chimed in, beaming proudly. “We’ve got—”

“You, too,” Corporal Thunderhead cut in, stepping forward and giving her a stern look. “You’ve already been far too active for a pony with a head injury, and basic first aid will only take you so far. You are going to retire to your sleeper car until further notice. Understood?”

“Aww…” she complained. “But—”

Dismissed!” Thunderhead barked. Jumping with a little yelp, Pinkie snapped off a hasty salute (wincing as her hoof bumped the bandage about her head) and trotted out to the passageway.

“Huh, is it really that easy?” Gig muttered.

From there, the Corporal led the group into the passageway and to the nearest exit, guiding them outside and toward the front of the train. The ground still showed signs of their battle, hoofprints and cracked, displaced stones that would soon be caked in wind-blown dust once again.

Thankfully, the stone wall that the Trixie-imposter had erected to bar their path had been thoroughly demolished by the force of the Golem’s impact with it. Unfortunately, the track was still broken and bent back, and stone debris still scattered across the space between. With the two earth ponies both incapacitated, clearing the track was slow going, though Twilight’s and Rarity’s magical telekinesis made the heavier lifting much less of a chore.

At first, Twilight was especially wary of the gem that had served as the Golem’s apparent “eye”, insisting that everypony keep their distance from it and avoid touching it even with magic. Only after extracting several assurances from Gig that it was by now completely inert did she acquiesce to Spike’s eager suggestions that it would make a very nice dinner.

It was dusty, tiring work for all involved, but eventually the last of the debris had been cleared away. Twilight was not an expert on railroad tracks, but bending the broken rails back down and welding them back together with sparks of magic wasn’t too difficult a task. It was hardly professional-grade work, but it would suffice as a temporary repair to get them to Appleloosa, where they could properly report the damage. Despite her boosted power, Twilight was left as winded as the others by the time all was said and done, and the group wearily piled back into the train.

Even though she’d only regained consciousness a short while ago, a bed had never looked so inviting to Twilight than the one in that sleeper car. She had a feeling that she wouldn’t be the only one sleeping until they reached their destination.

Comments ( 8 )

Sleepy Twily~ :heart:
Also, relax Gig.

epic chapter is epic :twilightsmile:

i know this is just me being a nerd for this game but if you could somehow work juno in there i'd love this story even more also great story so far

Another great chapter. Please keep them coming.

Man that's perfect.
I love soul nomad.And Gig is still cool and badass.)
Keep going.
"More... I want to see more!"
(rus)

I came across this solely because I was considering making my own and wanted to see if it had been done.

Honestly, surprised it was. Might give this a look, huge Soul Nomad fan.

Yep. Epic. And seeing that combat scene earlier has me doubting whether or not I could pull off my own fic of the sort.
Awesome stuff. Hope you keep working on it.

Not that I should pretty much ever be used as a point of reference, but I I have stories with dozens of f-bombs that I've still gotten away with having a teen rating, so you're going to be more than more than fine if characters are just saying shit

Best of luck writing this!

Login or register to comment