• Published 13th Nov 2017
  • 410 Views, 10 Comments

Crystal Note IV Memory comes at a cost - TalkingToMyself



Crystal Note finds a way to explore her lost memories in hopes to find out who she really is and how she became a crystal unicorn. In doing so, she receives help from an unexpected source.

  • ...
 10
 410

Aftermath

"And then what happened?"
"Eventually she made it to the train tracks. It was a lucky coincidence that at the same time, a train stood there, blocked by a hefty snowfall. She managed to sneak in and get out of the cold. When she woke up again, she was already in Canterlot ."
"When did she realize her body had changed?"
"Shortly after. The same fear that drove her away from the Crystal Empire took over again, she was unable to reason with it. So she opted for hiding."
"That's when she started wearing a bandana over her horn."
"Indeed."

Luna gratefully accepted the cup of tea from Twilight Sparkle and took a sip of the steaming beverage. Sister’s sun was already up and shining into the public rooms of the library. Upstairs was dark, curtains blocked out the light from the private rooms and the bedroom where the crystal unicorn was sleeping at the moment.

Usually Luna would join her in slumber at this time of the day. When she had resurfaced from the mindscape she had created with Crystal Note, she’d felt restless. A feeling that had not stopped yet.

Crystal Note was safe, deeply exhausted in body and mind, but otherwise well. Applejack and Fluttershy insisted on checking up on the crystal unicorn. Satisfied by seeing their friend curled up peacefully on the bed, the five friends thanked Luna, each in her own way but all of them from the bottom of their hearts.
Now they had left and only Twilight Sparkle remained. The fellow alicorn had sensed the inner turmoil in Luna and offered tea to calm her as well as an open ear. Luna could see curiosity in her eyes, but concern of her friend was stronger by far.

Once Luna had been given the chance to recover and rest for some time, she had started talking, explaining.
She left out the details of Crystal Note’s past. Those were for the crystal mare to share with whomever she deemed worthy to know.
Luna did however make sure to inform the princess of the tragedy that she discovered, of pain and fear, entwined with courage and love of a family.

The Princess of Friendship and Element of Magic listened attentively. She had seen but echoes of King Sombra’s dark magic, but she had seen the magic of the Crystal Heart at its peak. When Luna explained the last things she saw before the dreamscape fell apart, thoughtful silence filled the room as both alicorns tried to make sense of it all.

Twilight Sparkle was the first to speak after minutes of silent contemplation
“I guess the last act of loyalty from Crystal Note gave enough power to the Heart to intervene. It saved her from Sombra’s wrath, but it couldn’t stop him when he cast the curse.”
Luna nodded, staring into her empty cup
“I come to the same conclusion. It explains why Crystal Note had vanished before the curse hit the Empire. It maybe even explains why she reappeared as a crystal pony instead of her born form.
However, there is still no explanation of how and why she had received a horn and magical abilities during such transformation.”

Twilight frowned and got up from her seat. She started pacing up and down the room, a nervous habit Celestia told her sister about, something that Twilight Sparkle had been doing since she was a unicorn filly and first became her sister’s student.

“Maybe it wasn’t supposed to happen. You said the crystal absorbed the magic Sombra fired at her.”
Luna nodded once
“That is what Crystal Note has seen. She was an earth pony back then, though. She might not have seen everything and without access to magic, she might have misunderstood what really happened.”

Twilight Sparkle sighed deeply and frowned
“So, we still don’t know where the magic came from in the end. It could be Sombra’s magic that was absorbed into the crystal and ended up in Crystal Note instead. It might be because both her parents were unicorns and the transformation just accidentally unlocked her genetic potential. Or, the Crystal Heart did all of it on purpose and we just don’t know why.”
Twilight had been talking faster as her theories ran wild, but she ended in a sad sigh once more
“That means we still don’t know how to reverse the transformation, should Crystal Note ask for it.”
“I doubt she will ask for this. From what I learned, she’s proud to be a crystal pony. In her heart, she’s been one of them years before she was transformed.”

Twilight Sparkle nodded and bit her lower lip
“When we first met, she told me she’d give anything to get rid of her horn. After hearing all this, I wonder how she feels about it now.”
Luna closed her eyes and tilted her head to the side. The things she saw past night still were clear and fresh in her mind’s eye
“Conflicted, most likely. She’s seen and felt magic abused for the sake of gaining power over other ponies. But she has also proven that she’s willing and able to use power for the benefit of those around her. She’d done as such with her earth pony strength, I am convinced she will strive for the same with unicorn magic now as well.”

Twilight Sparkle involuntarily flexed her wings into a soft ruffle. She knew how it felt to receive new blessings mostly unprepared. That moment passed quickly and when she looked back at Luna, the elder Princess found the same compassion she felt mirrored in purple eyes
“Whatever she does next, she’ll have friends at her side.”
Luna smiled and set down her empty cup on the small table
“I have no doubt of that. She will benefit greatly from having such support.”

Twilight returned the smile and her ears perked up when Luna stood and stretched her legs and wings, preparing to leave
“If you want I can have Spike set up the guest room for you.”
Luna shook her head and slowly made her way towards the door
“I appreciate your offer, but I shall pass. It’s time for me to return to Canterlot, now that I have done all I could to help. I’m leaving Crystal Note in your capable hooves, Twilight Sparkle. I know you’re best suited for the tasks ahead.”

The young princess blushed at Luna’s praise but nodded with determination, the same Luna had seen whenever Twilight faced a new task from her sister.
“Please give her my best once she awakens. And tell her that my sister and I would love to welcome her in Canterlot soon, when she feels up for it. Celestia will be thrilled to have somepony who can reminisce of the old days with her, besides me.”
Twilight and Luna shared a hug before the latter unfolded her wings and propelled herself into the air. She flew a loop over the town while Twilight waved goodbye, then turned towards Canterlot, back home.

On her bed in the library, Crystal Note rolled over to her side with a soft smile on her face.

Comments ( 3 )

So I take it Crystal Note is the pony in your avatar?

8807225
Nope. Just a crystal pony with the Crystal Empire flag. I thought it was cute :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment