• Published 5th Nov 2017
  • 334 Views, 24 Comments

The tale of Frost, Peppermint Frost - Peppermint Frost



The story of a young unicorn from Canterlot and her experiences.

  • ...
1
 24
 334

The Crystal Faire

Peppermint Frost wearily closed a book which she'd been reading. Yawning, she shuffled to her bed, trying not to stumble on her way. As soon as she pulled the quilt over herself, she fell asleep.

It was a crisp and sunny day, with a mild breeze to cool it. Peppermint was woken up by the bright rays of sunlight that pierced through the gap between her curtains. As she opened her eyes, she saw her clock read half past eight.

"Oh, no!" She exclaimed. "I'm late for the faire!"

Today was the day of the Crystal Faire, an annual event held in the Crystal Empire. Peppermint had planned to go as early as possible as she lived on the outskirts of the Crystal Empire, and this year, the crowd of visiting ponies would have been increased.


Peppermint hurried over to the crystal berry juice stand. A lot of ponies were around her, pushing and trotting, trying to cut in on each other. Many of the visitors were trying to catch a glimpse of the Crystal Heart. Foals were running around, laughing and playing, and their mothers were calling out after them.

Above, on the balcony of the castle, were Princess Cadence and her husband Prince Shining Armor, with their foal, Princess Flurry Heart. They were waving down to the crowd. When they arrived at the faire ground, a large herd of ponies circled around them.

Peppermint spotted her friend Amethyst Shard, whose eyes shone with excitement. She walked up to her friend.

"Peppermint, you finally made it! I thought you'd overslept with your late-night reading!"

"Amethyst, you know I wouldn't!"

Amethyst giggled.

The two mares walked towards the Crystal Heart, trying to squirm out of the crowd. Suddenly, trumpets were heard and a carpet was seen rolling out. Eventually, the crowd split in half on either side of the carpet. A golden carriage was at the end of it, with flags next to it. Everypony tried to get near it. Then, somepony stepped out of the carriage. Somepony with a flowing mane and tail.

Peppermint coughed on the juice suddenly before she turned pale. She turned around and sped away in the other direction.

Amethyst Shard stared at her friend as if she was mad. "What's wrong with that pony?!"

With that, she disappeared into the crowd.


Not today, I can't. I can't face her, were the words muttered by Peppermint over and over again. As she kept murmuring, she realized that she was running around in circles.

Suddenly, she stopped.

A certain purple mare was waving at the ponies around her and they smiled and bowed. A mare that Peppermint vaguely remembered from her past. It was none other than the Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle.

With a jolt, Peppermint stood still like a cockatrice had petrified her. The Princess, having met her eyes, was also behaving the same way. This continued for a while.

"Icicle, is that you?" Twilight whispered at last.

Peppermint snapped out of her trance when she heard her old school name being called. She couldn't believe that she was in front of her old school friend, not to mention that she was a princess now. Of all the memories that came flooding back, she remembered how Twilight had helped her efficiently in her studies, how she had stayed overnight at Twilight's reading books with her, and laughing with their friends when attending the annual Grand Galloping Gala.

"Yeah. T-Twilight?"

"Yeah."

She was suddenly hugged by Twilight, feeling tears slowly trickle off her cheeks. At last, when Twilight drew back from the hug, she smiled at Peppermint and her eyes were also watery.

"I've missed you, you know." Twilight whispered.

Author's Note:

Ookay, maybe too much to chew on, I guess?

Comments ( 10 )

"Oh, no!" She exclaimed. "I'm late for the faire!"

Today was the day of the Crystal Faire, an annual event held in the Crystal Empire. Peppermint had planned to go as early as possible as she lived on the outskirts of the Crystal Empire, and this year, the crowd of visiting ponies would have been increased.

fare
Fare

Interesting chapter. Nice metaphor you put in there. :raritywink: I liked it, keep it up! 👍🏻

With a jolt, Peppermint stood still like a cockatrice had petrified her. The princess, having met her eyes, was also behaving the same way. This continued for a while.

Like a cokatrice. That’s a metaphor. :scootangel:

8748164
Oh that. Hehe, first thing that came to my mind.

8747441
8747263
To be a bit more precise, the spelling should be fair or faire. Fare doesn't really work in the situation that I can only guess this refers towards (I haven't read the latest two chapters yet).

Fair refers to "a collection stalls and amusements for public entertainment." Which would be like going to a festival or an amusement park.

Faire refers to "a renaissance festival." Which is where fairs came from to begin with; which means that it is also the acceptable spelling.

Fare could work as well, but not quite: "performance or entertainment of a particular style." booths (also known as stalls) can give a performance or entertainment of a particular style.

What I'm getting at is that it can be any of them, to be honest, but the main one you should want to use is one of the first two (which you did use).

8763616
Well, I didn't check on that. :twilightsheepish: Honestly, Faire just sounded right to me. I don't know which one's more appropriate, faire or fair?

8763628
They both work. But if it is based off the Crystal Faire, then you'd want to use the appropriate version (the one that it was used with).

8765217
Sure thing.

Example #1:

The dragons had also disappeared, and that worried him for some reason. Suddenly, he saw the princess flying towards the volcanic mountains, and by her side were two of her royal guards.

Example #2:

Frost teleported after them, watching out for the ferocious dragons.

Suddenly, the barren, rocky land was filled with dragons, big and small, battling with ponies.

Example #3:

He teleported himself there and lifted them to a small cave. Suddenly, he saw the princess fall to a strike of a humongous dragon with a bluish-grey hue.

Example #4:

Frost was exhausted by now, yet he used all his energy on fighting. Suddenly, a claw threw him over the cliff and to the ground.

Each of those are all the times you used 'em. They aren't exactly bad, but with the length of the chapter it comes off as overused.

Peppermint hurried over to the Crystal berry juice stand.

'Crystal' shouldn't be capitalized here.

Many of the visitors were trying to catch a glimpse of the Crystal heart.

'heart' should be capitalized here.

Peppermint coughed on the juice suddenly before turned pale.

I think it would help if you added 'she' after the word 'before'. It would look like this: "Peppermint coughed on the juice suddenly before she turned pale." It would help a bit.

The princess, having met her eyes, was also behaving the same way.

'princess' should be capitalized as it is in place of Twilight's name.


This was a fun chapter. I can't wait to see what happens between the two next.

Twilight and her being old school friends, and the fact they spent so much time together should prove to make a rather fun chapter. I am almost tempted to say I'd like to see the time they spent together in the past, but that is up to you (and no, it is not a must). All in all, this chapter was rather eventful; I'm almost surprised that so much can be packed inside of a chapter of this length.

With the emotional development, I hope things will be able to be handled well, it'd be such a shame to see something that has promise be done poorly; but I have my hopes that they'll be done well enough. I'll be off, until the next chapter.

Login or register to comment