• Published 29th Jul 2017
  • 3,157 Views, 63 Comments

Cold Scales - Konatra



A chance encounter with an ancient hunter lurking in the Everfree became the catalyst for the biggest change in Equestria. It is up to Spines the Dragoness to lead her home into a war unlike anything seen in history.

  • ...
10
 63
 3,157

Old Blood

Something Spines didn't take into account or even had a way to prevent in time, was the last moments of the Void Soldier. Before its death, it sent out a hyper-long-distance distress wave. It was only on for a few moments but it was more than enough to break out into dimensions beyond. Spines did not know that it was rather quite loud and busy out beyond the stars she knew and ears were listening in on any and all errant signals from hidden worlds. Yes, a truly undocumented world sending out a military distress signal, encoded so only those with special gear could know just who was in need of aid, but that didn't matter to most, an untapped world of potential prize and profit was abound.

Short scans showed a temperate world, capable of habitable life, natural resources aplenty...yes. Research potential for some, being able to discover new flora or fauna, new discoveries, food, and scientific breakthroughs! Others saw only coin, yes, rare minerals, possible dig sites, and potential future slave force? Well this world clearly has no spaceport or outer world transmissions to put them on the omniversal map, easy to exploit and conquer.

And for two certain groups, they saw something very interesting, Void signal. Out in space, a large imposing figure in charred and cracked armor looked at these readings. "Sloppy for a Void, this encryption was rushed and sent everywhere, *everyone* knows about this little planet now. Any good Void would send a very direct code to only certain held areas...so just what is going on here?" The armored figure put a helmet on his head. "We might have gotten lucky here, we might of found our missing Generals." He called over to the many soldiers in his command through the comms. "Prepare for battle, we're surely facing Void in mass once they pick up this signal too. Pray this world won't become a crater by the time we arrive." Several nods and affirmations came about.

At the same time in another deeper outreach of space swarmed some of the most malicious and evil of creatures. The Void in full force as a unified army pondered on this signal, this level of sloppy encryption deserved execution alone. But those numbers on the encryption explained where one ship during a rather important battle went...along with a capital Unity warship in tow...that would mean several high-ranking enemy units were stranded on that world. Yes, the next course of action was clear, eliminate any surviving forces on that planet whether it be Void or Unity. Such a mockery of their military would not be forgiven, this mistake will bring Unity to this planet for certain, and this world will burn by the end of it.

___


Thankfully Spines still had general control of the ship and her units just as before. Would have been a serious issue if she was demoted leaving all these bots to their own devices, who knows what might happen then? She had no real prospects now, she petitioned to somehow find a way to help Ivy but she was told about the mass complexity of her species' biology, Long story short nothing could be done without some of the most experienced medical units out there.

She decided to keep up with the unloading of the undersea storage lockers which went off without any more distractions, several dozens of new units to activate and give tasks to, bringing up efficiency to whole new levels. That left the storage units still on the moon and with luck, the sea salvage operations made short space travel possible with just a few days of building up functional craft. She wondered if some salvage on the moon could save Ivy...or at least a new stasis pod not under use given Ivy broke her beyond repair leaving hers.

It felt liberating to be free of danger once again, Spines reported the events of the last few days to her father who was also busy at work making their nation adapt to the new world of incredible technology. "I see, the fact that another alien is on our world should not be something to just ignore even if she's infirmed. You may have the loyalty of these automatons but we can not predict the actions of these off-worlders." King Solaris was still coming to terms that their world was not just the only one out there, now the fact came that at any point other worlds with other ambitions could arrive at any moment, and with the actions of the Void we now know that some truly evil ones exist. The only option was to adapt fast with the aid of these automatons, if it is true that they are the force repelling the evil among the stars then truly there could be no better aid right?

He just hoped this was the last he ever needed to hear of out worlders. These past few weeks were far too much for one planet to endure he felt. As the father and daughter conversed on the progress from both their ends a light on her helmet's comm lit up, meaning some of her units had urgent news. Without putting her father on hold so he too could hear this she opened up the channel. "Your Highness, we have confirmed signals on multiple unknown and known craft entering the atmosphere at high rates."

"SHIT!" Spines let out, not even considering her father in earshot. Both of them stared at each other through the hologram in absolute shock at the news. "W-what are they here for?"

"Unknown, but assessments show several crafts are of differing allegiance and/or profession, seeing signs of unarmed and armed research vessels, mining craft, civilian craft as well as more often seen slaver ships with highly armed escorts."

Thoughts riled like crazy in her head, it was all happening all too fast. "What do you suggest we do?" Something like this was a loaded issue, her knee-jerk reaction was to blow them all out of the sky before they got close, but she knew enough to consider the bigger picture, who would she piss off by blasting a couple of ships? Don't want to risk blowing up some high religious prophet right?

"We lack orbital cannons to intercept the slaver ships and attacking outright as a first response will take away our element of surprise as they have no way of knowing of our location as is. The war console suggests we watch and wait on their actions with our all-seeing eyes around the planet. Keeping the population safe as a priority." Already Spines was off to one of the newly finished teleporter stations, Solaris took it upon himself to warn his people and issue an immediate lockdown of the kingdom, no one is to leave and anyone outside the kingdom is to return to any settlement held in control by Spines' forces and protection. Sending messages immediately to every settlement using magic and ordering the few automatons in his care to spread the word and escort anyone back to safety. Warning other nations would be a lot harder, especially those unallied.

Spines rushed over to the telepad set for Ponyville, she was given many various set prediction paths on where the Unknown forces would land. Some still a few days away in the solar system, and some able to warp in near orbit who were very close. The first being a small fleet of ships marked by her Units as 'Slaver' Of course the name itself raised many alarms, they were landing in a clearing in the Everfree, she needed to be there ASAP!

These would truly be the final days of this world's quite lifestyle. A new age has begun with a bang.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment